HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:23 AM
HA

I hope the Olympics will be a wake-up call for Translink to accelerate and implement sensible transit developments in the Lower Mainland (not the half-assed street level LRT), as well as the BC Ministry of Transportation to improve our 3rd world freeways systems.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
BC Ferries on Standby - what are they smoking, or has Hahn got another ferry stuck up his A** somewhere? When a ferry broke down on the long weekend, BC Ferries had no replacement vessel. So are they going to cancel service to the island and divert ferries to Squamish?

I'd fed up with the 2010 Olympic Security Games already
1) The fire happened during a long weekend during a period where there was so much demand they were using all the vessels they had. If it had happened during a normal day, they would have simply switched ferries. They will probably take out 3 vessels, that are used as spares, from the two major ferry routes to the island in the event this does happen.

2) If a terrorist attack did happen during the Games and it looked like they didn't do enough for security, you'd be complaining as well.

Give me your violin and I'll play it for you.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
I hope the Olympics will be a wake-up call for Translink to accelerate and implement sensible transit developments in the Lower Mainland (not the half-assed street level LRT), as well as the BC Ministry of Transportation to improve our 3rd world freeways systems.
...or the short-term solutions, like the Canada Line.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 8:35 PM

Quote:
The fire happened during a long weekend during a period where there was so much demand they were using all the vessels they had. If it had happened during a normal day, they would have simply switched ferries. They will probably take out 3 vessels, that are used as spares, from the two major ferry routes to the island in the event this does happen
When the Spirit vessels break down between Vic and Tsww. the replacement boats are smaller ferries which causes capacity issues. And making one of these ferries operational for the day also takes time and it delays the entire days sailings.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:15 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Some one asked about Canada Place on the previous place, it will be used by media during the games. During the regular games, the broadcast media will be in the West building (New Expansion) and the print media will be in the East building (Canada Place). During the Paragames all media will be in Canada Place only and the West building will begin being turned back to the public.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
1) The fire happened during a long weekend during a period where there was so much demand they were using all the vessels they had. If it had happened during a normal day, they would have simply switched ferries. They will probably take out 3 vessels, that are used as spares, from the two major ferry routes to the island in the event this does happen.

2) If a terrorist attack did happen during the Games and it looked like they didn't do enough for security, you'd be complaining as well.

Give me your violin and I'll play it for you.
Looks like the terrorist have won - we're all so scared and shaking in our boots that we're willing to forgot civil rights and freedoms - that is exactly what the terrorist want. Score 1 for the terrorist.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 1:48 AM

What rights or freedoms are you referring to that are being infringed upon? We don't have the right to free speech in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...country#Canada

There's certainly freedom of assembly, if you choose to protest the games. It's certainly reasonable that people are not free to protest anywhere they like as this would cause major problems, such as the blocking of a major street or highway would not be acceptable by most common people.

To ensure the safety of Canadian citizens, and our visitors, security measures are being increased, but I really don't see how any reasonable person would consider our freedoms to be infringed by a few extra cameras and security checkpoints.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
What rights or freedoms are you referring to that are being infringed upon? We don't have the right to free speech in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...country#Canada

There's certainly freedom of assembly, if you choose to protest the games. It's certainly reasonable that people are not free to protest anywhere they like as this would cause major problems, such as the blocking of a major street or highway would not be acceptable by most common people.

To ensure the safety of Canadian citizens, and our visitors, security measures are being increased, but I really don't see how any reasonable person would consider our freedoms to be infringed by a few extra cameras and security checkpoints.
Well, unless you count the ability to mug a tourist and get away with it as a freedom, that is.

Oh, but I suppose YOU wouldn't see that as reasonable, would you, commie!!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 6:01 AM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Um, pardon?

Charter of Rights:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

I don't know where you get that idea.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 6:07 AM

yes the charter say freedom of expression

but where in the charter is expression defined as speech?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 6:07 AM

That is true, I always find that those who protest against checks or cameras are those who have something to hide.

Also I hope the riot 2010 people take a look at 2 b on the charter of rights:

Freedom of peaceful assembly.

But i do believe some things they are doing (such as not allowing people to put up anti-Olympic stuff on their property, and banning anti-Olympic pamphlets) are going to far.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
Um, pardon?

Charter of Rights:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

I don't know where you get that idea.
Sure, but hate speech (ie racism, etc) is not permitted under the charter due to the following text of section one:

Quote:
1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.
Many people seem to think that you can say whatever you like in Canada without repercussions like you can in the US (no such thing as hate speech), however, this isn't the case.

In anyone thinks that their rights and freedoms are being violated by Olympic security measures, I'd be happy to discuss it. None of the security measures announced thusfar violate the Charter or Canadian law.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 4:50 AM

Quote:
...due to the following text of section one...
...Many people seem to think that you can say whatever you like in Canada ...
In anyone thinks that their rights and freedoms are being violated by Olympic security measures, ....
It seems pretty clear to me that Section 1 is only meant to curtail freedom of expression under very limited circumstances. Only very limited cases that involve hate speech and obscenity have passed this test.

However the city by-law is very general in its curtailment of freedom of expression. Section 4B(d) states that a person must not “install or carry any sign unless licensed to do so by the city”.

Why should I have to get a license to carry a sign on public property?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Sure, but hate speech (ie racism, etc) is not permitted under the charter due to the following text of section one:

Many people seem to think that you can say whatever you like in Canada without repercussions like you can in the US (no such thing as hate speech), however, this isn't the case.

In anyone thinks that their rights and freedoms are being violated by Olympic security measures, I'd be happy to discuss it. None of the security measures announced thusfar violate the Charter or Canadian law.
I doubt the Supremes would see the CoV's limits on speech as reasonable. That's really what this comes down to, and you can't say for certain that the Charter isn't being violated.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I doubt the Supremes would see the CoV's limits on speech as reasonable. That's really what this comes down to, and you can't say for certain that the Charter isn't being violated.
The law will be challenged, but I'm sure the BC Government is hoping that it will take more than 17 days to work through the system and by then it's too late. I understand what they're trying to do, but I totally disagree with it.

BTW - the city bylaw is being "enabled" by the Liberals who are amending the Municipal Enabling and Validation Act to add a clause to allow the City's bylaw. This Act is used when a bylaw is found or believed to be contrary to general legislation or has been struck down by the Court as illegal MEVA cannot be used to over-ride the Charter though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure