HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 1:01 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
I agree. Doesn't the east mountain violate the Place to grow act?
It more than likely does.

It's almost guaranteed you will see an appeal to the OMB if they select the EAst Mountain site. With appeals it would take 3 or 4 years to go through the system.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 1:02 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janbe View Post
Bob Young said the team is not for sale. You can't force the owner of a team to sell it.
It is either East Mountain or no stadium, because the cash strapped city of Hamilton is not going to build a 15,000 seat white elephant stadium with no tenant.
And the City certainly doesn't have the millions necessary to build up the infrastructure for the East Mountain stadium location with new ramps, hydro lines relocation, widen load roads and paving more land causing more flooding issues.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 1:08 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Bob Young said the team is not for sale. You can't force the owner of a team to sell it.
It is either East Mountain or no stadium, because the cash strapped city of Hamilton is not going to build a 15,000 seat white elephant stadium with no tenant.
All stadiums in this country are white elephants. They are built by cities to serve the entertainment needs of it's citizens. Just like cities build arena's or rec centres or many of the other things that cities have to add to the appeal of living in a city.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 2:16 AM

I don't think this video has been posted yet. Here is a link to the whitestar group and their WH proposal.

http://whitestargroup.webs.com/apps/...tch-video-tour

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
I don't think this video has been posted yet. Here is a link to the whitestar group and their WH proposal.

http://whitestargroup.webs.com/apps/...tch-video-tour

Go back a page... Steeltown posted it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Go back a page... Steeltown posted it.
Whoops, don't know how I missed that one! Sorry about that.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 3:06 AM

And does the city have 500 million in infrastructure to get the Tigercats on board with West Harbour.

Or the millions upon millions to clean this up http://www.raisethehammer.org/articl..._a_little_talk

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 3:53 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
And does the city have 500 million in infrastructure to get the Tigercats on board with West Harbour.

Or the millions upon millions to clean this up http://www.raisethehammer.org/articl..._a_little_talk
Who cares about the Ticats? If they don't want to play there they can go elsewhere.

As for the property in the article you link to, the city doesn't own it. It is privately owned. The cleanup order was issued yesterday for the owner to clean it up by Monday. Check out todays Spec, there is an article about it. It's out of the city's hands.

Last edited by bigguy1231; Jul 25, 2010 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Doesn't the east mountain violate the Place to grow act?
On what grounds? The East mountain site is within the urban boundary of the City, is part of the designated greenfield area for Hamilton's settlement area as defined by the Places to Grow Act, and it is not part of the Ontario Greenbelt. (A designated greenfield area is an area within the settlement area of a city that is as of yet undeveloped but designated for future development).

From what I can see in the Act, the development of the EM site would be supported by the legislation.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
You make this seem like a big deal. Its just the CFL. I would care more if Hamilton had a hockey team

West Harbour or nothing. I'm not going out there for sports.
Again for emphasis.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
It more than likely does.

It's almost guaranteed you will see an appeal to the OMB if they select the EAst Mountain site. With appeals it would take 3 or 4 years to go through the system.
And if we do this Milton, Vaughan, Oshawa, Barrie, et al. will file complaints and rightfully so as they have been raked over the coals for sprawl in the GTA.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Who cares about the Ticats? If they don't want to play there they can go elsewhere.

As for the property in the article you link to, the city doesn't own it. It is privately owned. The cleanup order was issued yesterday for the owner to clean it up by Monday. Check out todays Spec, there is an article about it. It's out of the city's hands.
The CFL knows 1 team in Ontario will not look good. I personally have no problem supporting a Toronto NFL team.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Again for emphasis.
Thanks for that.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:

The necessary funds for the cleanup has already been set aside, $10 million from the Future Fund.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Thanks for that.
I deserve that.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 8:52 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
The CFL knows 1 team in Ontario will not look good. I personally have no problem supporting a Toronto NFL team.
That will not happen. There isn't enough of a market for it. They are having trouble selling out the 1 game a year they do get. Most of the tickets are given away by Rogers as freebees just to make the stadium look full.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 10:18 PM

Well when the tickets are two times the highest in the league you won't sell out.
Quote:
The average standard ticket price of C$183 was significantly above the highest average price in the NFL, that of the New England Patriots, at US$88, and nearly four times the Bills' ticket prices (which are the lowest in the league).
Quote:
Both games had standard ticket prices ranging from C$55 to C$295 and VIP tickets from C$325 to C$575
If Rogers were to give the same prices all the other big market teams do, they would sell out. But this is Rogers.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
That will not happen. There isn't enough of a market for it. They are having trouble selling out the 1 game a year they do get. Most of the tickets are given away by Rogers as freebees just to make the stadium look full.
Give Toronto their own NFL team and they will support it like you wouldn't believe. It's as close to a sure thing as you're going to find.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 11:30 PM

Berklon, it would honestly be sad that if the CFL fails in Ontario , it was because Bob Young was so greedy. This could start a domino effect.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Berklon, it would honestly be sad that if the CFL fails in Ontario , it was because Bob Young was so greedy. This could start a domino effect.
No doubt. I don't really watch the CFL much anymore, but I was pretty hardcore back in the 70's and 80's. I'd love to see Hamilton stick around and have great support for the Cats, as well as Ottawa getting their team back - and I think it's time we have at least 1 more team added to the league from the east coast.

I think there's more interest in the NFL than the CFL in Ontario unfortunately. I hope Toronto gets an NFL team - I think it would be great. People claim it would kill the Argos (or even the CFL), but I'm not sure about that.

In any case, competition is healthy. We in Hamilton want an NHL team and hate that the Leafs are trying to kill competition. We also complain about the lack of competition for wireless and internet providers. Yet the same people who hate monopolies and like competition dont want Toronto to get an NFL team for fear it will hurt the Argos/CFL. I don't get the double-standard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton