HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 7:58 AM

Sad to see any dense housing abandoned when we have such a big housing shortage. But I’m sure there could have been a variety of reasons this fell through.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Lincoln High School athletic field update

Lincoln High School's new athletic field is almost ready for its close up. Workers were grading the expanse just east of the new downtown school Monday morning, ready for the installation of a multi sport track and playing field.

The work is being paid for by taxpayers, thanks to a 2017, voter-approved $790 million dollar bond measure to rebuild or renovate Benson, Lincoln and Madison high schools and Kellogg Middle School. It included $150 million in health improvements, like lead removal from school drinking water.
Read more on Portland Tribune...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 9:27 PM

Lincoln HS looks amazing. Hopefully it helps the students, & community it serves, strive for new heights going forward.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
The Lobby Buildout Has Begun at Artists Repertory Theatre’s Downtown Portland Home
The lobby will function as a temporary production space while work is underway on two theaters.

Artists Repertory Theatre is one step closer to moving back into its long-vacant, signature red building.

On April 17, the company announced that phase two of construction is underway on the structure, located right along the MAX line at 1515 SW Morrison St. Artists Rep moved out of its home base during the summer of 2019 once it had become functionally obsolete, selling half of the former Elks lodge health club while raising funds to remodel the rest of the space for its productions.

Initial work included architectural design, demolition, utility relocation and seismic upgrades. Now that those projects are complete, the buildout of the lobby is underway. Crews are also completing the exterior, literally raising the roof to give productions an area with higher clearance, and finishing up the seismic modifications. When all of that is done, the lobby will function as a temporary performance space, seating approximately 150 patrons.

...continues at Willamette Week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 5:36 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
...continues at Willamette Week.
I walked by ART on SW Morrison yesterday and noticed that the perimeter fence had been expanded outward for the construction activity, so I am glad to read the WW article confirming that there is progress.

Is it time to create a separate thread devoted to Artist Repertory Theatre (ART) now, to help us follow its work and to distinguish it from the ART Tower?

Also the WW article has a rendering that is very different from the previous rendering I have seen. Maybe there are other ART theatre posts buried in the Goose Hollow thread that would show the previous rendering. It would be helpful to have the posts in their own thread.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 7:38 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Sad news:

Quote:
Apartment fire in southwest Portland

Portland Fire & Rescue is on scene of a 4-alarm fire at an apartment building in Southwest Portland/Goose Hollow. The fire bureau said just before noon that the structure may fully collapse.

https://www.oregonlive.com/galleries...LQVUYONO4GELY/
It's the 5 story building at SW 14th & Taylor. I can't imagine how they're going to save the apartment building next door. A huge chunk of downtown is getting choked by thick smoke.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:28 PM

What an awful thing for the tenants. I cycled by the site earlier this morning, and it looks like the upper floors are completely gone, other than the brickwork on the exterior walls (which now have nothing supporting them). I'd imagine the most likely outcome is full demolition, but even if the building is somehow saved, a lot of people have probably lost all their possessions.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
What an awful thing for the tenants. I cycled by the site earlier this morning, and it looks like the upper floors are completely gone, other than the brickwork on the exterior walls (which now have nothing supporting them). I'd imagine the most likely outcome is full demolition, but even if the building is somehow saved, a lot of people have probably lost all their possessions.
Such a tragic situation all around. So far it sounds like everyone survived but man, what a blow to those people.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Fire-ravaged SW Portland apartment building still standing; investigators begin to figure out what caused blaze

The flames from Tuesday’s apartment-building fire at Southwest 14th Avenue and Taylor Street have been completely extinguished after Portland Fire & Rescue stayed on the scene overnight to continue dumping water on the building, the fire bureau said.

The fire, which erupted about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday from the third floor of the May Apartments, 1410 S.W. Taylor Street, displaced at least 100 people, the building’s manager said.

While fighting the blaze, the fire bureau feared the unreinforced-masonry structure, built in 1910, would collapse. But it’s still standing Wednesday morning as crews there figure out next steps, said Portland fire union president Isaac McLennan.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Artists Repertory Theatre Forges Ahead With Renovation Amid Temporary Season Suspension

Last month, Artists Repertory Theatre said it was temporarily suspending its 2023-24 season of plays. Then, the situation became bleaker when, in an email to patrons reported by The Oregonian, managing director Aiyana Cunningham stated that “without a significant strategic shift or influx of cash,” ART was projected to run out of money to fund its basic operations in October.

Still, life goes on at the theater company. ART’s renovation is still happening, and communications and marketing director Leslie Crandell Dawes today confirmed that, thanks to fundraising efforts, the organization no longer faces the threat of an October closure.
Continues at WWeek...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:19 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
That's cool.

I wonder how that could affect the field quality. Recently someone in the know was telling me that Providence park is famous for very poor quality turf within the MLS.

Yup:

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland-...-facility.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Recently someone in the know was telling me that Providence park is famous for very poor quality turf within the MLS. https://www.oregonlive.com/portland-...-facility.html
Simply not true. The Timbers have one of the best turf fields available. That's not to say it's past time for Paulson to step up and install real grass at Providence. With the PSU football team playing all their "home" games in Hillsboro there really is no reason other than the cost not to do it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 8:13 PM

Update on Tiller Terrace

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 3:58 PM

Restaurateurs' Goose Hollow plan is back on track, along with an old favorite downtown

Malia Spencer
By Malia Spencer – Portland Inno, Portland Business Journal
Apr 15, 2024

high-noon-bar by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Quote:
Portland restaurateurs Jessica and Aaron Grimmer are sharing details, including an opening date, for their anticipated High Noon concept along with news of one of their former restaurant's return.

First, Picnic House, a popular spot downtown for lunch and pre-show meals at the nearby Portland'5 Performance Art venues, is reopening as delivery-only, said co-owner Aaron Grimmer. Picnic House is now available for order through DoorDash.

This is possible in part for the second big news from the couple. Their re-imagined High Noon concept, first announced in 2022, is back on track and set to open in May, Grimmer said. The delivery version of Picnic House will use the High Noon kitchen.

High Noon has 4,951 square feet of dining space in the Sawbuck, a mixed-use development in the Goose Hollow neighborhood. The restaurant also took over a neighboring 900-square-foot retail space in the building to allow for the kitchen build-out, said Grimmer.

The building is owned by real estate giant Greystar. The Grimmers have worked closely with Greystar to create the restaurant space, and the landlord has invested in tenant improvements.

“Greystar was eager to put skin in the game and put in the concept and believe in Portland,” said Grimmer. “That has helped.”
continues(paywall)https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...ning-soon.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland