HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Any thoughts on the play of Dillon Brooks?
He finally learned his lesson not to chuck the damn ball a million times unless he’s red hot and it’s worked wonders for the team. His defense on Luka last game pissed him off enough to get him ejected which sealed the deal for us. Definitely the second best player on the team right now sans Murray and Wiggins. I thought it would be RJ but just too inconsistent for me.

I’m just praying he doesn’t have one of his villain games where he costs us a medal.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:29 PM

^ Certainly an effective player but he may need to tone it down a little.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 1:08 PM

They pulled off a medal at least. Really, they could have won the whole thing and it wouldn't have been a surprise. We have been seeing this trajectory for a few years now. Good to see it actually materialize.

Playing against a Jokic-less Serbia in the SF was a great opportunity (though we were missing Wiggins and Jamal), but the Serbs shot the lights out. That's basketball. Sometimes you can play good D and the other team has the hot hand and nothing you can do about it. And Canada would have had Germany in the final and you would have liked our chances.

Last edited by megadude; Apr 10, 2024 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 2:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Congratulations to Team Canada for their bronze medal effort. It is always significant to beat the USA.

It will be exciting to see them in the Paris Olympics next year.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Good story

W5: The Tallest Teen on Earth, Part One
W5: The Tallest Teen on Earth, Part Two

This story also profiled Bill Wennington which reminded me of another Canadian 7 footer whom you don't hear much about now, Jim Zoet. One of his claims to fame is only he and Brian Heaney are the only two U Sports players to have played in an NBA game.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:11 AM

Well, Zach Edey of Toronto wins back to back NPOY in college ball. First time in four decades. He lead the nation in scoring on 62% shooting. Mind you, a lot of the guys from the latter half of that time span didn't spend 4 or 5 years in college.

Anyway, I posted on here last year when Purdue lost as a 1 seed to 16 seed Fairleigh Dickinson about how BS professional coaching is when you're okay with your best player, who was playing well, only takes 11 shots in a close game that you should be dominating. You as the HC have to force him to get to the rim and force things, especially since he was shooting well. If not, then bench him for not being aggressive.

This year in the tournament he went:
11-17 for 30
8-11 for 23 in a total domination so he didn't need to shoot a lot
10-15 for 27
13-21 for 40
9-14 for 20
15-25 for 37 in a loss in the NC game

Oh wow, who would have thought if the best player in the country who happens to be 7'4 attacks the rim you tend to win games.

Last year was such a wasted opportunity for Purdue. Matt Painter has built a really good program at Purdue, but they were known for flopping out too much in the tournament. This year they got to the NC game but lost to the best team in the country in UConn. Last year UConn won the natty as well, but they were a 4 seed. Their opponent in the NC game was 5 seed San Deigo St, a total surprise package. Purdue was a 1 seed this year and last year. They probably had a better chance of winning the natty last year than this year, but it goes to show, dumb coaching in just one game can cost your program not only a game, but a rare chance at a championship. The Zach Edey era is over and PU's chance at winning that elusive NC just got much harder.

Purdue is not Duke, UNC, KU or UK. They are not bluebloods that reload with 4 and 5 star recruits every year and always have a chance. So it kind of pissess me off when coaches making $3m to $9m a year can't figure out the simplest of solutions when I can think of it while sitting here on my couch scratching my nuts. I have many anecdotes or connections related to Purdue so I always cheer for them in basketball and football. Not my primary team, but they are likeable with their gold and black colour scheme and awesome name of Boilermakers. I love that they're from a town nobody has heard of (West Lafayette, IN).

I really respect UConn a hell of a lot too. Don't know how they've won 6 natties since 1999 with three different coaches. They hadn't done much before that. And they are not known for bringing in loaded recruting classes. I loved it when they won in 2014 with a bunch of upper classmen over Kentucky with their 5 star one and dones.

I wanted to rock my Purdue hat for a couple of days but settled for the Uconn shirt.

Last edited by megadude; Apr 10, 2024 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 11:25 AM

A lot of people saying SGA of HAM, who planys for OKC, should be MVP of the NBA. Twice an all star now and averaged 30 a game on 56% shooting. He's not the best player, though he's up there, but he might very well be the most valuable. He lead his team to the number 1 seed in the toughest conference. Could a Canadian be the MVP in the NBA and college in the same year?

And it's funny how SGA is basically the most unhyped Canadian ever.

Also, wouldn’t mind seeing OKC win their first championship. Would also be third straight year a Canadian plays a pivotal role in winning the title.

Last edited by megadude; Apr 16, 2024 at 3:00 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada