HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 9:50 PM

Wink [Burnaby] Midori | 37fl | Completed

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. After being a lurker for over a year I've decided to create an account. Sorry if I'm not quite conforming to rules, as I'm still trying to figure them out.

I also decided to start the thread on Polygon's Midori (I didn't see one yet). Since, I purchased a unit in the building and watching it's progress, I decided I might as well share.

Image is property of DYS Architecture- http://dysarchitecture.com/projects/midori/

Just the other day, Polygon sent out an update indicating they are just about finished digging and are starting the building's footing.

Image is my own.

Last edited by OfficeProcrastinator; Jan 15, 2018 at 6:36 PM. Reason: image broken

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 9:57 PM

Great Thx for posting!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 11:18 PM

Thanks! Even though I've already given them my money and purchased a unit, I'm not sure if I'm sold on the design. It's hard to tell from the rendering, but I have a feeling that the building will either look incredibly unique and tasteful or a complete disaster where the rest of the community will be lucky and it'll be blocked by the surrounding towers (Met 1 & 2, The Park Metrotown, Amacon's Imperial and even Polygon's future tower nextdoor). What do the rest of you think?

One thing I thought the building could have had was more distinguishable upper and penthouse suites from the exterior of the building. If I recall correctly all the floorplans from floors 5-36 are the same, and the penthouse units are for the most part the same as the units below them (just simply larger and have some additional finishes).

One thing the rendering doesn't clearly portray is the supposed 'leaf motif'. From the model in the showroom, the balcony windows appear to go from patches of clear to different shades of green glass. Where the 'leaf motif' appears to be giant grass(?) leaves spanning the length of building.

What I was sold on was the floorplan and the size of both the unit (950sqft) and the wrap around deck (~400sqft according to the developer for my specific unit). My unit will be on the northwest corner of the building ~ the presentation side of the building shown in the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:08 AM

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for starting the thread. This one has been flying under my radar.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:26 AM

I think this one will look great.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:39 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeProcrastinator View Post
Thanks! Even though I've already given them my money and purchased a unit, I'm not sure if I'm sold on the design. It's hard to tell from the rendering, but I have a feeling that the building will either look incredibly unique and tasteful or a complete disaster where the rest of the community will be lucky and it'll be blocked by the surrounding towers (Met 1 & 2, The Park Metrotown, Amacon's Imperial and even Polygon's future tower nextdoor). What do the rest of you think?

One thing I thought the building could have had was more distinguishable upper and penthouse suites from the exterior of the building. If I recall correctly all the floorplans from floors 5-36 are the same, and the penthouse units are for the most part the same as the units below them (just simply larger and have some additional finishes).

One thing the rendering doesn't clearly portray is the supposed 'leaf motif'. From the model in the showroom, the balcony windows appear to go from patches of clear to different shades of green glass. Where the 'leaf motif' appears to be giant grass(?) leaves spanning the length of building.

What I was sold on was the floorplan and the size of both the unit (950sqft) and the wrap around deck (~400sqft according to the developer for my specific unit). My unit will be on the northwest corner of the building ~ the presentation side of the building shown in the rendering.
Welcome and thanks for the post! I think it should look great and distinctive on the skyline. The wavy wraparound balconies look great too, a nice break from the typical square edges. Is it next to a park or an empty lot?

Also i love how your name denotes what i have always suspected of many forumers this forum tends to be dead weekday evenings and weekends (with the exception of fellow insomniacs)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:22 AM

The devil is always in the details. The overall scale of the building is good and the wraparound balconies should look great. I hope the 'leaf motif' looks good but we really won't know until much later. It'll certainly look unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Welcome and thanks for the post! I think it should look great and distinctive on the skyline. The wavy wraparound balconies look great too, a nice break from the typical square edges. Is it next to a park or an empty lot?
It'll be next to Lobley Park (the greenspace in the render) and will have a number of towers for neighbours. Marketing isn't showing them (again).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:29 AM

Nice looking building. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:44 AM

Unfortunately, the green space in the render is actually an existing walk-up (2-3 floors?) and in front of the park on grimmer st is a row of existing townhomes. The word I got from the sales folks was that they tried to buy out the corner of dunblane and grimmer but the owner of the walk up and owners of the town home either held out for more money or weren't interested. So what's left is an awkward 'L' shape plot of land that is too small and extremely unlikely to be picked up by any developer.

On the bright side that means my north view will likely unchange. What is evil is that sales were advertising southern views despite already owning and proposing another highrise south of the building.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeProcrastinator View Post
On the bright side that means my north view will likely unchange. What is evil is that sales were advertising southern views despite already owning and proposing another highrise south of the building.
It's very common and lends to claims of false advertising and unfair trade practices. On the other hand, they are correct to say you are given unimpeded southern views, while not extrapolating on the details - which is your responsibility to review, especially the master plan which generally shows the eventual phases of the development. I remember Evolve doing this in Surrey, where on their website they had no Ultra tower in the southern views (just the edge of it) despite it blocking about 50% of south east views in real life. Definitely have to do your research and review building plans and building permit proposals (which usually show renders and the final plan).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 5:29 AM

Thanks for creating the thread and congratulations for buying an unit! The rendering makes it clear that the spandrel will be boring, but the balconies on this project will be interesting.

Which floor is your unit on? The two MET towers are taller than this one, so views to the west will be pretty impeded but north should be fine at least for now. Some crazy density going up in that block.

I will post an aerial of the area soon with an good overview of the ongoing development.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The devil is always in the details. The overall scale of the building is good and the wraparound balconies should look great. I hope the 'leaf motif' looks good but we really won't know until much later. It'll certainly look unique.

It'll be next to Lobley Park (the greenspace in the render) and will have a number of towers for neighbours. Marketing isn't showing them (again).
Probably because this is a cleverly (and likely intentionally) chosen view angle.

The existing (and in construction) towers are located at what would be the rearside of that camera shot - since it's clear you're looking South and Eastwards from that shot and the Skytrain.

So for all intents and purposes this angle is accurate and truthful to what the view will be (for the moment) since the towers proposed for just south of it are probably still a long way aways from being constructed.

They (the marketing folks) knew what they were doing.
They always do.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 3:02 PM

Oh yeah, Aqua Teen Hunger Force's marketing campaign was a blast.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for creating the thread and congratulations for buying an unit! The rendering makes it clear that the spandrel will be boring, but the balconies on this project will be interesting.

Which floor is your unit on? The two MET towers are taller than this one, so views to the west will be pretty impeded but north should be fine at least for now. Some crazy density going up in that block.

I will post an aerial of the area soon with an good overview of the ongoing development.
Yeah the west views will definitely be impeded and I'm on a low enough floor where there's really no chance of seeing over them anyways. Though, at the same time those towers may be able to provide my building/unit with some shade so I won't have to worry too greatly about cooling in the Summer (I'm sure the folks who bought the add-on AC at Met 1 were unhappy ~ I certainly was, when I was home shopping and I found the AC units took up half of the already small balconies). On a side note, how many real floors are there in Met 1-2? If I understand correctly those skip floors, whereas Midori does not skip any. So I imagine the height of the buildings to be very similar?

For the time being there looks like there won't be any development going directly north of Midori as there is the existing low-rise commercial there and past that an existing block of 4 mid-rise towers. The view from the unit was never a real consideration for me; as long as the view did not only consist of looking into someone's unit across the street I'm content.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:55 PM

my photo from the other day

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:43 PM

Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:54 PM

Couple interior shots from their website:

http://www.polyhomes.com/community/midori/gallery

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 8:20 PM

I really like those interiors. Class and elegant but still relatively modern.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 5:21 PM

Update as of Sunday (09/18/2016): Crane is up and from what I saw they were just starting to put up the box forms for the concrete pillars.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 8:30 AM

^Crane is most definitely up! My pics from yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley