HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:32 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Will Bruder

I have been to many of Will Bruder's buildings in the Southwest, great news

so of my shots of his work:

Hercules, California library

Nevada Museum of Art

Phoenix Central Library

The Vale in Tempe Arizona

Loloma 5 in Scottsdale

he has a wonderful sense of space and use of materials, and can do great work on tight budgets
all the photos I have; http://www.pixelmap.com/dma_bruder.html

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 8:38 AM

From the PDC website:

Meeting: Burnside Bridgehead Public Workshop (Added to web site: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:09:52 GMT)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
5:30 - 7:30 PM

The second public workshop on the Burnside Bridgehead project. The draft concepts for the project will be presented for public comment and review.

524 East Burnside Street

Transit Stop:
Stop #2167, Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

PS: can we change the title of the thread to just "Burnside Bridgehead"?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 7:16 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
can we change the title of the thread to just "Burnside Bridgehead"?
Or maybe "Burnside Bridgehead, Take II"?
Or maybe "Burnside Bridgehead, Here We Go Again"?
Or maybe...?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 7:27 PM

Ha ha, I like "Here We Go Again".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
PS: can we change the title of the thread to just "Burnside Bridgehead"?
Please, yes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:33 AM

My suggestion is "Burnside Bridgehead - Part Deux"

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 4:40 AM
momentum

Will Bruder does some amazing work,but the PDC work he is doing with Beam by their side is just a Framework Plan = does not mean he gets the real portion of the work, rather he has to prove that it is feasible. Crafty work by Beam to get some work sponsored by PDC. I hope Will Burder does get to do something in the end though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:58 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Will Bruder does some amazing work,but the PDC work he is doing with Beam by their side is just a Framework Plan = does not mean he gets the real portion of the work, rather he has to prove that it is feasible. Crafty work by Beam to get some work sponsored by PDC. I hope Will Burder does get to do something in the end though.
You and me both.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:44 AM
shozbot!

Like tworivers post 124 above, here is another invite to come to bside6 to discuss this project. Those who can, head on over today!

From the DJC:
http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/01/26/46259-redv/

Burnside Bridge hearing Wednesday
POSTED: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 04:22 PM PT
BY: Justin Carinci
Tags: Beam Development, Will Bruder + Partners Ltd.

The project to redevelop a 176,000-square-foot area at the east end of the Burnside Bridge gets a public airing Wednesday evening. The Burnside Bridgehead draft framework plan will be discussed from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at bside6, 524 E. Burnside St.

After five years, the project ended up at square one when original developer Opus Northwest failed to find an anchor tenant and allowed its development contract to expire. The project is now being headed by Beam Development and architect Will Bruder + Partners Ltd.

Their new plan promises to guide a group of smaller developments within the site, instead of a single large development. The plan will include guidelines to tie the area together, while still allowing for staged development of the project.

Information is at www.burnsidebridgehead.com

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 5:59 PM

Burnside Bridgehead project to start small
POSTED: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 04:22 PM PT
Daily Journal of Commerce BY: Justin Carinci
Tags: Beam Development, Burnside Bridgehead, Will Bruder + Partners Ltd.

Small, quirky businesses already help define Portland. The new team behind the Burnside Bridgehead project wants to offer affordable places for those businesses to grow without having to leave the Central Eastside District.

Tonight, the Portland Development Commission, Beam Development and Will Bruder + Partners will present their vision of the 176,000-square-foot site near the east end of the Burnside Bridge. Their draft framework plan will help guide future development but won’t serve as a hard master plan for the district, said Jonathan Malsin, director of operations for Beam.

“What we’re not going to do is prescribe what goes on each developable site,” Malsin said. “We’re trying to define the opportunities and outcomes as to what’s possible on that site.”

The team behind the project is starting small, hoping to build momentum for future development within the bridgehead area. That’s in contrast to the first approach to the project, in 2005, when the goal was to have one major development spanning the project’s four blocks.

When developer Opus Northwest failed to find an anchor tenant, the Portland Development Commission let the company’s contract expire in February 2008. The project stalled while a new team was assembled.

In the first phase, the team will focus on development along Third Avenue, Malsin said. Taking a phased approach, instead of developing the entire area at once, reflects economic reality, he said.

“It would be naive to say, ‘We’re going to build a million square feet on the site right now,’ ” Malsin said. “You’d never be able to get the financing for that.”

Building in phases allows future developers to take advantage of an improving economy, said Geraldene Moyle, senior project manager with the Portland Development Commission. “It’s a different approach from the 2005 approach, but it’s definitely a more real approach for today,” she said.

“It allows us to move forward but it doesn’t preclude something happening in the future - it preserves large footprints for future development that could be larger.”

The first phase will build off of energy created by the projects already under way, including the eastside streetcar loop and the Burnside-Couch couplet, Will Bruder said. The start could be a remodel of the existing Convention Plaza, a building with more than 90,000 square feet.

That building, along with smaller developments along Third Avenue, would give young creative professionals places both to start a business and to expand. The focus will be on workplaces, although some living space could be included.

In that way, the Burnside Bridgehead’s growth could mirror that of parts of Manhattan, Bruder said. “It’s closer to the artists’ model in SoHo and Chelsea, where loft spaces somehow became the wonderful spaces we see in movies.”

Comparisons aside, bridgehead developers can best embrace what makes Portland unique, Malsin said. It’s a lesson he learned from leasing buildings to restaurateurs. “Restaurants that embrace that authenticity and don’t try to do overly corporate schemes with their buildings are more likely to survive in Portland,” he said.

Buildings designed to attract the young creative class need to be functional and affordable first, Malsin said. The Burnside Bridgehead project team has kept that in mind as it plans for the future of the area.

“We’re trying to be really realistic in our approach,” Malsin said, “to keep it authentic and not shove a big development scheme down the community’s throat.”

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 8:16 PM

Right on. I'm glad they're talking about rehabbing/restoring the Convention Plaza building, seeing as it has been there since 1926 and probably has some nice details to be uncovered... I'm ready for some more renderings from Bruder.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 9:21 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Buildings designed to attract the young creative class need to be functional and affordable first, Malsin said. The Burnside Bridgehead project team has kept that in mind as it plans for the future of the area.

“We’re trying to be really realistic in our approach,” Malsin said, “to keep it authentic and not shove a big development scheme down the community’s throat.”

My initial reaction is to wish they would have taken this path the first time... but then an odd thought struck me. Maybe the economic crash that began a few years ago would have crushed it... meaning, maybe the timing is better now? I don't know, but I sure do hope so because it sounds like they're on the right track this time. I'm excited and very hopeful about this one.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
My initial reaction is to wish they would have taken this path the first time... but then an odd thought struck me. Maybe the economic crash that began a few years ago would have crushed it... meaning, maybe the timing is better now? I don't know, but I sure do hope so because it sounds like they're on the right track this time. I'm excited and very hopeful about this one.
I think you might be right about this. This is a much better time to be taking this kind of approach to redeveloping the Bridgehead. Plus, this method would allow for this project to evolve on its own rather than being apart of a masterplan project like it was originally going to be.

Also, 1926?? I did not know that Plaza had been there that long, I thought it was built in the 50s or 60s.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 6:00 AM

^^ No, I'm guessing it got some sort of makeover in recent decades that made it look as forgettable-slash-ugly as it does now. If anyone can do right by that building, it is probably Malsin.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:43 PM

Latest Portland bridgehead plan: Go small on Burnside
By Special to The Oregonian
March 22, 2010, 7:01PM

An old building, parking lots and mossy patches of bare land sit on what has been a developers' graveyard for decades at the east end of the Burnside Bridge.

Back in 1985, one private developer, Hans Hoeck, tried to expand an old hotel building on the site from six stories to 10, only to lose financing even after some structural steel had been welded in place. The city government eventually ordered the whole building razed in 1992.

Then in 2005, the Portland Development Commission, after assembling the land in public ownership, partnered with a large development firm, Opus Northwest, on plans that included retail, offices and high-rise condos. The collapse of the condo market scuttled that in 2009.

Could 2010 be the year something finally happens on the four-acre Northeast Portland site called the Burnside Bridgehead? If so, it might not look anything like earlier proposals.

GS.00011806B_OU.BRIDGEHEAD.jpgView full size"The goal is to get an early project on the site complementary to what is there now and to provide a catalyst," says Geraldine Moyle, project manager for the commission. The site sits at the northern end of the Central Eastside Urban Renewal Area, and ideally a project should provide space for new jobs and generate property tax revenue for the larger renewal zone.

While the development agency once hoped to clear and sell all four blocks to a single developer, a newer strategy percolating through public planning channels takes a smaller-is-better approach.

Retain 1926 building?
For instance, the largest building on the site, the four-story Convention Plaza that dates to 1926, probably will be retained instead of demolished. Parking lots and open space near it could be carved into lots as small as 30 by 85 feet and sold to individual builders who would erect new structures in the range of four to six stories.

That's a far cry from the 200-foot heights allowed under existing zoning rules, but it might provide a chance for small-business owners who like the idea of controlling their own buildings.

"This gives them an opportunity to have a building built for them that has their own identity on it," says Brad Malsin, a developer who is consulting with commission planners. "I think this is a really inviting, central-eastside opportunity."

Perhaps Malsin recognizes the opportunity as well as anyone. His firm, Beam Development, turned vacant or underused buildings into the successful Eastbank Commerce Center and Olympic Mills projects in the same urban renewal area. He says a lot of tenants in creative services and light manufacturing like the "gritty" feel of the city's old industrial district and the communal vibe.

"The whole notion of this being about community is the idea that you're buying into something different," Malsin says. "A lot of companies want to attract employees who want that kind of feeling."

No one is going to come in and take the whole site, Moyle says. "We tried that and it didn't work."

Still, a single developer could buy several small lots, or perhaps an entire block. She notes that given contemporary lending problems, it's difficult right now to finance large-scale projects.

Not a Pearl clone
The small-lot concept has won some plaudits from the Portland Design Commission, an agency of volunteers that would review proposals for new construction.

"Multiple development teams could contribute to an area that will make it far richer than a bigger, glamorous development," says Tim Eddy, an architect who sits on the design panel.

David Wark, another architect on the panel, agrees. "It doesn't try to be the South Waterfront or the Pearl," he says. "It tries to be something different."

As a reality check, however, Eddy suggests the Portland Development Commission study how much usable floor space would be available in a small-lot building after stairwells, elevator shafts and utility needs are subtracted.

New plans for the bridgehead probably will leave opportunity for taller buildings, but that could slow the pace of redevelopment.

"If we hold out for a while, you could start to see higher buildings," Moyle says. "But we'll be waiting for a while if we wait for one developer to take the whole site as a high-density development."

The revamped planning appears to mean continued life for the 96,000-square-foot Convention Plaza building at 123 N.E. Third Ave., which would have been demolished under the high-rise condo plan.

"I think it is a very appropriate building to be retained and refurbished," says Malsin, who sees it as a catalyst for providing reasonable rents for small businesses. With its heavy timber framing, "the building provides a platform for cost-effective renovation," he says.

Moyle says the city has no one in mind to renovate the building, though Malsin's firm could become a candidate. She says the PDC would like to see a developer blend the old building with a project on the site.

Parking, transit access
Parking and transit access are likely to play key roles in the bridgehead redevelopment. The new Eastside streetcar will stop at Couch Street, providing one link. A citizen advisory committee asks that plans not reduce any existing parking serving the central eastside industrial area. "Parking is a touchy subject over there," Moyle says.

Malsin says it is possible that parking could be added as part of new buildings, but he thinks many entrepreneurs who would be attracted to the site may be less dependent on automobiles than in the past. He says many employees on the central eastside use bicycles, transit or Zipcars.

"If I really had my way, I'd try to do this with minimal parking," he says.

If land has to be used for parking structures, Malsin suggests the structures be designed so they can be "repurposed" if parking demand drops in the future.

So what's next? The redevelopment agency hopes to wrap up its new planning framework in the next few months. Then it will start looking for developers for the first phase -- someone interested in renovating and making use of the Convention Plaza building.

"Our goal is to get to work on phase one this fall," Moyle says.

Given the decades over which little has happened on those four acres, several more months is a mere blink of an eye.

-- Fred Leeson, special to The Oregonian

© 2010 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...ehead_pla.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 9:16 PM
A before E

I like this idea of small lots for small businesses. It would be interesting if this turns into a district designed by a bunch of small architecture firms. It would definitely be something unique for Portland...plus seriously, who doesnt love small buildings like this?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:24 AM

This is great news.

Similar to what I wish the idea had been with South Waterfront, which might have resulted in less monolithic, more diverse developments down there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 3:24 AM
momentum

still wonder how they are going to deal with that block made an island by the couplet - maybe a below ground connection, or maybe have a building bridge the street. As it is it is surrounded by fast traffic on all four sides - tough place for an active building...hopefully it won't become a lame ODOT parking median slash mediocre sculpture park.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 3:32 AM

how about the smart tower?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
For instance, the largest building on the site, the four-story Convention Plaza that dates to 1926, probably will be retained instead of demolished. Parking lots and open space near it could be carved into lots as small as 30 by 85 feet and sold to individual builders who would erect new structures in the range of four to six stories.
This all sounds great, but how is this going to work - financially? If they can finance buildings like this without elevators, great - but I doubt they can, does anyone remember that ultragreen apt bldg on Williams that finally had to add an elevator to get financing? With such small floorplates - 30x85 - an elevator would be pretty expensive. To build and then to maintain. Maybe if two lots could share an elevator or something like that...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland