HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:57 AM

If, if, if...

If one of either Santana or Jimenez landed in Toronto, they would potentially be the ace of the rotation. Both of these guys have been remarkably steady throughout their careers (in terms of health/ innings pitched).

This is a big deal but the Jays aren't jumping the gun. They have made their offers and will wait and see. Apparently both hurlers have lowered their asking prices (to what exactly we'll never know), so all we can do is wait and see.

My gut tells me the Jays have the best offers on the table and the agents for both Jimenez and Santana are desperately trying to stir up a little more interest before it gets too late in the off-season.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:40 AM

Jays interested in Kendrys Morales?

It's the first I've heard of this and in fairness, if you read the article, you'll see it's a total shot in the dark. I'm not sure why the writer even mentions it.

If he were to sign in Toronto, that would put Encarnacion, Lind and Morales in a 1b-dh platoon situation. It would be great having one of Lind or Morales coming off the bench but it's hard to imagine at this point.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:14 PM

Seems like a strange position to go after, unless it's to trade him or Lind for a pitcher.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 1:19 AM

I wonder if they had intended to go after Michael Young. They really need to beef up their bench and this would definitely do it. I just can't imagine them adding upwards of $10mm/yr for Morales + whatever it takes to sign one of Santana or Jimenez to their already sizeable payroll. It seems more like an addition you'd make down the stretch to bolster your lineup. Anyway, we shall see.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 8:16 PM

From what I understand listening to the radio, payroll size isn't a concern for the Jays if it means getting the right player. That's not to say they'll pay over the top for someone, but that if it means sizeably increasing the payroll with an apt figure, then they will do it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:55 AM

Yeah, I think you're right; particularly if ownership believes they have a shot at the post-season. I'm not sure they're convinced yet.

I think they're just playing the waiting game right now. From what I've read and heard on the radio, the Jays would be willing to sign off on a 3 year contract for Santana at $15mm per with an option for a forth season. Until his agent comes down to Earth, they wait. Other teams, while desperate, are hesitant to give up a first round pick for these free agent pitchers. The Jays first rounder is protected, so they're a little more likely to dive in.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:32 PM

Looks like the Phillies are now favourites to sign A.J. Burnett.
That said, I'm still holding out hope that AA will pull something off and sign him for the Jays.

Phillies In Contention To Sign Burnett

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:14 AM

Yeah, I'm just not sure how AJ would do in the AL East, particularly Skydome.

It'll be interesting to see what goes down - if anything - over the next 2-3 weeks.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:46 AM

He is a ground ball pitcher, and familiar with the dome. But like you say, it's a wait and see who the Jays will sign in the next few weeks. (I'm pretty certain they will do some significant signing)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:24 AM

It's being repeated ad nauseam by people around MLB that the Jays are in the driver's seat for one of either Santana or Jimenez - they're just waiting for those players to come down to Earth a little. If the Jays go into the season without making a move, it would appear to be their choice, rather than a case of being shut out of the free agent market.

In a related note, I was poking around http://www.baseball-reference.com and noticed the Jays ALREADY have nearly $96mm committed to only 7 players for the 2015 season. Getting a little ahead of myself - again - but this, no doubt, factors in to whatever the organisation is or, as the case may be, isn't doing now.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 12:42 AM

Jimenez off the market? Orioles rumoured to have reached an agreement with the Dominican righty. Pressure on for Jays to do something...anything!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:16 AM

I saw that the Phillies have also signed A.J. Burnett to a one-year deal too. Time is getting short for the Jays.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:31 AM

Rumours that Santana is unwilling to sign for the Jays. And that McGowan might be getting a go at a spot in the rotation. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 12:07 AM

^Yeah, it's apparent the Jays will not be making a deal for a pitcher after all. I think most fans are finally resigned to that fact.

As far as Santana is concerned, I've heard the Jays have a 3 year $27mm offer on the table. That's what they think of him.

And remember, the organisation already has $96mm committed to only 7 players for the 2015 season. That's not going to work unless they win a lot of games this year.

Anyway, I'm quite curious to see where Santana lands and for what price.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Feb 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:02 PM

I can see Santana desperately signing with some team when he realises that his and his agent's greed have left him with no income this season. That seems like a fair offer from the Jays in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 1:52 PM

Yeah, it's an offer from a team that doesn't really want to sign a player. Perhaps it's more for the sake of the fans than anything else. It's bad enough that they won't be signing a starter but can you imagine the ire from the fans if they didn't even make an offer? I think it's just for show.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 5:43 PM

^ aye, you're probably right.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:54 PM

A positive spin on the up-coming season by Mike Wilner.

Most prognosticators have the Jays finishing last. It's true - it's hard to imagine them beating any of their division rivals at this point. But then winners and losers are impossible to predict, so don't be surprised if they take a good run at it this season.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 1:57 AM

It's been a great start for the Jays in Spring Training. I know it's early days still, but so far so goo. And from what I hear, McGowan is looking very dominant with some fantastic stuff. So much so he could be considered for a spot in the starting rotation.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 11:28 AM

^I've heard much the same regarding McGowan, though my guess is he'll end up in long relief, perhaps with the occasional spot start. Just a guess, though.

As fans are aware, the Jays may break camp with upwards of 13 pitchers - 5 starters and 8 relievers. That being because Rogers, Redmond and Jeffress are out of options.

Starters:
Dickie
Buehrle
Morrow
Happ
Hutchison

Here's where it gets tricky. Which of the following 8 would you take?
Relievers:
Janssen
Delabar
Cecil
Santos
McGowan
Loup
Rogers
Wagner
Redmond (out of options)
Perez (out of options)
Jeffress (out of options)
Stroman
Romero
Drabek
Nolin

They can't take everybody, so expect some surprise demotions and trades before the season starts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto