HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:37 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Recent Newark Updates from Brandon Nagle
Quote:
Downtown Newark

Hahne's Building Renovation

Prudential Tower

Halsey Street

Broad Street

Starbucks is on the right. They will have an outdoor patio for a cafe' seating area which should liven up this stretch. The middle storefront is unknown, but they were proposing three large round signs on the left one. According to http://placenj.com Blaze Pizza will also open up here.

Teacher's Village

This is the final building to be built at the complex, and will be 6-7 stories tall for the whole length. Only two of the at least 15 retail stores are open, the Provident Bank and a small clothing consignment shop. The rest are tied up in about 70 necessary permits, according to Ron Beit in May. Any storefronts that are not covered have not been touched. The others are completely covered so it is impossible to tell if anything is happening there.

Former Janine's store renovation

BURG is still not open yet, but they have a sign...

494 Broad Street and Cablevision Offices/Garage (490 Broad Street)

The following day...
I sure hope they picked some good materials to reclad that otherwise bland building!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 9:20 PM

Small Downtown Newark Update from Friday

Starbucks on Broad Street

Early Evening in Downtown Newark,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Prudential HQ logo painted on Park Street

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Future Whole Foods , Shops , Office Space and Rutgers Dorms

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:17 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 6:14 AM

Another Stunning Downtown Newark update from Brandon Nagle

Quote:
Hahne's Building
According to Newark Planning Board filings on 9/22/14, the building will have a TWELVE (12) story addition on the corner of Halsey and New Street, whether or not they are still going for it. That lists 127 residential units in the main building and 212 units in the addition. It will also have 100,000 square feet of office space and 68,000 square feet of street level retail space.
http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...CPB_140922.pdf

999 Broad Street
This is filed to the zoning board as 987 Broad Street and will be 5 floors with 84 residential units above parking and
5000 square feet of retail space fronting Broad Street.
http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...CPB_150504.pdf

NJIT Central King Building

It will look like this:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/_jayV8YaQgA/maxresdefault.jpg
Video Link

267 MLK Blvd is being converted into a 4 dorm Frat House, maintaining the usage of that stretch as "Frat Row"

238-240 MLK seems to be stuck for possible environmental cleanup after being off to a very quick start.

15 Washington is completed. This Facebook page has a lot of interior photos. https://www.facebook.com/RUN15Wash

Cable Vision Garage/Offices (490 Broad Street) and the re-cladding of 494 Broad

NJPAC tower site

BURG in Military Park will finally open September 28th, according to the chef who was there inspecting the final setup, after very lengthy delays involving permits, licenses, and the main counter was cut to the wrong shape and the supplier would not fix their mistake. It will have a full bar with beer and wine on tap and many mix drinks available and will be open from 11 am to 9 pm, 7 days a week.

Prudential has more signs.

Nike will still open October 1st according to their signage.

These windows are as blocked as before. I am hoping to get some info from the Planning board about that situation, because if
it is legal, it could sabotage many efforts to improve the streetscape. Just provide the require clear window area in the front and
get approved. Then turn the store around, block the front windows, and just use a rear entrance, as many Newark-phobic businesses would want to.

According to a classmate who attended several Planning Board meetings, this huge warehouse owned by Edison Properties is so strong, it can
support a 15 story addition of residential space, which they discussed at a planning board meeting, making their claims of retail, restaurants,
art galleries, and office space that much more likely. Hopefully they will do something to the facade otherwise I predict a fully enclosed mall.

Rutgers-Newark Life Sciences Center

This building, called 127 Halsey Street, at the corner of Raymond Boulevard, is being renovated into 6 retail stores and 15 apartments.
The interior of the two corner bays has been demolished and combined into one while Harvest Table is still in business.

Hobby Deli's corner is being renovated at long last. It includes the last 5-6 storefronts.

Teacher's Village

A new store called Fallas is coming to Broad Street to the old Bamberger's building. It is a discount clothing
store that is the rebranding of Conway, the store you might recognize from the corner of Broad and Market.

The pair of rowhouses at the corner of East Park Street and Mulberry Street will be renovated and expanded to contain 15 apartments.

The pair of rowhouses at the corner of East Park Street and Mulberry Street will be renovated and expanded to contain 15 apartments.
http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...CPB_150504.pdf

As I had properly assumed before, this site at 118-126 Green Street will be developed soon. A 5 story addition will be made to the former industrial building for 77 apartments and 2229 square feet of retail space. That was approved on July 27th.

http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...CPB_150713.pdf

The building on the far right of the image with the Moneygram ad, 196 Market Street, will be renovated into 18 apartments and 2 storefronts. It had to go infront of the historic preservation board for a second staircase. The bricks will be cleaned and new glass will be added to the storefronts. http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...HPC_150722.pdf
This means that the momentum created by Rockplaza lofts will continue along Market Street to put the upper floors of those buildings to use.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 9:49 PM

Irvington, (adjacent to Newark) hospital redevelopment, 18 stories

$200M Development Plan for Former Hospital Bodes Well for Town’s Health

Quote:
The 6-acre site at an apex on Chancellor Avenue will be transformed into a planned 700 units of mixed-income residential units, plus 15,000 square feet of commercial space. The significance goes beyond removing an eyesore from an otherwise tidy neighborhood, according to participants.

The 2006 closure of the hospital, a major local employer, “dealt a tremendous blow to our community economically,” Vauss said. “This project will not only provide needed housing for working families, but it will also bring quality employment opportunities.”

Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo said the vacant hospital complex has been a long-term blight on the township and the county. The roughly $200 million redevelopment provides evidence of a comeback, he said, adding, “Irvington is on a roll.”

Local residents echoed that hope. In addition to invited dignitaries, the groundbreaking drew about 60 people from the community on a gloomy Monday. Some, like Annette Bellamy, were curious.

“I’ve seen groundbreakings on TV, but I’ve never been an eyewitness,” she said, adding that when the project is completed, “I think it’s going to be beautiful.”

“I want to see Irvington on its way up,” agreed resident Flora Saldanha.

Nobody had a bad word to say about the plan for residential towers of five to 18 stories with views of the Manhattan skyline, plus stores and offices intended to boost the avenue’s business district.
http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/1...town-s-health/

Last edited by shadowbat2; Sep 26, 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 10:26 PM

Elizabeth General Hospital redevelopment

After 10 years vacant, Elizabeth hospital to become retail, housing complex

source: nj.com

Quote:
ELIZABETH — The five-acre East Jersey Street block formerly occupied by Elizabeth General Hospital has been sold after about a decade on the market, to an out-of-state buyer who hopes to build a retail and housing complex there.

The sale of the 350,000-square-foot former hospital was arranged by CBRE Group, Inc., to a private buyer who plans to redevelop the property.

"The CBRE Tri-State Investment Properties team is one of the most active team of brokers in multifamily in the northern and central New Jersey markets, as well as in the overall tri-state area, with this being our third sale of a vacant former hospital facility with plans for multifamily redevelopment," said Elli Klapper, one of four people with the real estate firm who brokered the sale.

County records show the property was sold to the Brooklyn-based H. Elizabeth Realty, LLC. for $2.5 million.

The hospital site was left vacant when Trinitas Regional Medical Center — formed in January 2000 by the consolidation of Elizabeth General Medical Center and St. Elizabeth's Hospital — moved into its current Williamson Street campus.

Part of the former hospital still stands on the fenced-off site, as does a parking deck with more than 500 spaces.

The hospital began operating in the late 1800s as the Elizabeth General Hospital and Dispensary. A portion of the facility was torn down in 2012.
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...to_become.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:47 AM

A recent update from Brandon Nagle
Quote:
Downtown Newark

Hahne's Building

Carlton Hotel

Halsey Street

I-280/21 Interchange

This site was approved for a 5 story residential building, which was likely delayed for construction trailers for the interchange project.

490-494 Broad Street

Old Bamberger's/Macy's Store conversion to Corporate Data Center

Four Corners Site (possible 15 story Richard Meier building, December 2015 groundbreaking)

Halsey/Raymond Renovation

University Heights

Rutgers Life Sciences Center

NJIT Central King Building

267 MLK

238-240 MLK

NJIT Parking Garage

Norfolk and Sussex Development

Springfield Avenue Marketplace/24 Jones

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Teacher's Village

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The Ironbound

Mechanic and Ferry Street project

58 Bruen Street

112 Bruen Street

Railroad and Elm Street project

60 Elm Street (approved for 6 1/2 story apartment building)

Oliver Street School

90-92 Garden Street

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:21 AM

A recent Kearny update from Brandon Nagle
[quote]

Quote:
Kearny BJ's

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 11:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Love this shot.

Newarks two tallest are pre-war icons.

Credit: quiggyt4

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Last edited by chris08876; Dec 31, 2015 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just noticed what looks like a renovation in progress?

Right by the Paramount Theater in Downtown Newark. Looks prime for some conversions. Some of the older buildings in general are suitable candidates, and I suspect this could be a conversion in progress.

20160126_100944 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:36 PM

That is part of the Four Corners project which either start in the Summer or Fall?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: NJIT Integrated Sciences

Construction Update: NJIT Events Center

Construction Update: NJIT Parking Deck

Construction Update: Rutgers Life Sciences II

Construction Update: Hahne's Building

Construction Update: Teacher's Village

Construction Update: 127 Halsey Street

================================
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:33 AM
Posh

I am stunned: A Starbucks on Broad Street! Never thought I'd see the day!

EDIT: I suppose I should ask: Where on Broad Street? I'm thinking of the stretch south of Raymond Blvd, which I know best as a notable collection of wig shops. Unless it's going somewhere else?

EDIT #2: I just found it here on Google street view. Not the area I was thinking of, but still a big improvement. I remember in the early-mid 80's the block along the west side of Broad St just north of Raymond used to feature nothing but junky old buildings with tons of "welfare people" (for lack of a better word) hanging out with nothing to do.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post

EDIT #2: I remember in the early-mid 80's the block along the west side of Broad St just north of Raymond used to feature nothing but junky old buildings with tons of "welfare people" (for lack of a better word) hanging out with nothing to do.
Yeah people who stand around aimlessly are still there. Its even more apparent at Newark Penn where they usually wander and camp the Nj Transit and Amtrak waiting benches.

I wouldn't have a problem with them being there, but they tend to bother people who just want to sit and wait for the train.

I was in the area yesterday for a dentist appointment (the dentist I have is worth the 40 mile drive), and a good spot to see the people on a mission is Military Park. Ussually at 8 am they have the drug rehab circles. You can see them dancing, singing, or playing football. The area is still making strides to become better. Still infested by low lives from the North district, but, its improving. Also a good place to get shoes is Dr.Jays on Market, and if your into weaves, well, plenty of shops for that.

I really hope Newark or at least downtown follows the footsteps of Jersey City. Even North Ironbound is a bargain compared to what you get per sq-footage in Hoboken or Newport.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lots of potential for this place. I have a kind of bias towards this place because I went to University at Rutgers Newark / NJIT, but its a great place. I'd say it can be much better place than Jersey City if it booms. Back in the 50's, Newark use to be the place to be. The creme de la creme, on par with Detroit.

Aerial view of Newark, New Jersey by Michael Rymer, on Flickr

Newark Ironbound District by MeowMixed, on Flickr

Skyline2NewarkNJ10-26-15 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:59 AM

Newark is coming back. It will get there.

Ironbound is actually booming with construction, and downtown Newark is finally getting some residential towers. A Gehry tower is proposed for the Four Corners project.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:53 PM
Posh

Quote:
I have a kind of bias towards this place because I went to University at Rutgers Newark / NJIT
Yeah, that's the source of my familiarity as well. Went to R-N from 1982-84, with a few classes at NJIT during my first year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations