HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
They also go on to explain why BC is different, and why they still recommend raising the limits further.
They also say this: "It is possible that other factors unrelated to the speed limit influenced the crash reductions."

In other words,

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
The Federal Highway Administration has multiple studies that show that for both freeways and arterial roads, raising or lowering speed limits has little effect on average speed, and does not increase accidents, for example:
EXACTLY! The whole point of determining a speed via the 85th percentile rule is that people will travel at what they themselves deem a safe speed. Many people pay little to no attention to speed signs. Setting speed limits according to the 85th percentile places the limit at a safe speed that the vast majority of drivers is adherring to and basically a) legalizes the speed that people are already driving at and b) give more teeth to the speed limit.

How many of you, on either side of the debate actually drive the speed limit or LESS? Yeah, thought so.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
a) legalizes the speed that people are already driving at and b) give more teeth to the speed limit.

How many of you, on either side of the debate actually drive the speed limit or LESS? Yeah, thought so.
How does it do that? There's nothing here about enforcement.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:00 AM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
How does it do that? There's nothing here about enforcement.
If currently a speed limit is arbitrarily set and people also simply drive at a speed they feel comfortable then what good is a speed limit? Would you agree that some number greater than 50% of drivers currently drives in excess of the posted speed limit? Police currently enforce a "limit" that is generally 10-20km/h HIGHER than the posted LIMIT. Wouldn't it make sense if the speed LIMIT was set at the same rate as the "limit" and if the LIMIT actually made sense.

Here's an extreme example... if the speed limit on HWY1 between Vancouver and Abbotsford was 50km/h, roughly 0% would follow it, because it makes no sense. Though if we placed the speed limit at 200km/h, likely 0% of drivers would exceed it. What would drivers do? They'd drive at the exact same speeds they do now. Currently the speed limit is 80-100km/h depending on the stretch and traffic generally flows at 90-120km/h depending on the stretch. So everyone breaks the LAW, but few get ticketed because the police don't enforce the posted LIMIT, they enforce an arbitrary "limit" that's more in-line with how traffic actually flows.

The theory of 85th percentile suggests that 85% of people will drive at or below the speed limit. And 15% of people will exceed it. That it is therefore set at a very reasonable and safe rate. And thus it a) makes sense for police to encourage or rather "enforce" the speed limit to the 15% of people who don't think it applies to them and b) is much more practical for them to enforce the LIMIT numbers wise.

Last edited by sacrifice333; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Though if we placed the speed limit at 200km/h, likely 0% of drivers would exceed it. What would drivers do? They'd drive at the exact same speeds they do now.
The "exact same speeds"? That's clearly untrue.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:43 AM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
The "exact same speeds"? That's clearly untrue.
Drive a rural route that has changing speed limits. If you stick to say 10km/h over the limit you'll have numerous cars that you're able to pass in sections that are say 100km/h zones and in 80km/h zones where you slow down to 90km/h you'll passed by those same cars. They don't care what the speed limit is... they're driving at a rate that's comfortable and safe; the 85th percentile.

Okay... I'm done.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
They also say this: "It is possible that other factors unrelated to the speed limit influenced the crash reductions."

In other words,
That line of argument cuts two ways. One could similarly claim that increases in crashes could be related to other factors.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Drive a rural route that has changing speed limits. If you stick to say 10km/h over the limit you'll have numerous cars that you're able to pass in sections that are say 100km/h zones and in 80km/h zones where you slow down to 90km/h you'll passed by those same cars. They don't care what the speed limit is... they're driving at a rate that's comfortable and safe; the 85th percentile.
Some people are free spirits and don't care what anyone tells them to do. Many people are not and do check their speed to be in reasonable compliance with the law, even though they could safely go faster. Change the limit, and the latter group will adjust accordingly.

I count myself in that group - raise limits and I absolutely will take full advantage when safe and appropriate.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Some people are free spirits and don't care what anyone tells them to do. Many people are not and do check their speed to be in reasonable compliance with the law, even though they could safely go faster. Change the limit, and the latter group will adjust accordingly.

I count myself in that group - raise limits and I absolutely will take full advantage when safe and appropriate.
Speed limits in rural areas were always set too low. Case in point, watch the difference between a BC driver and an Alberta driver as they approach corners. The BC driver will take their foot off the gas with enough time to take the corner, while the Alberta driver will slam on the brakes at the corner. The Alberta driver assumes that the posted speed always applies (hence why higher speed corners have their own speed limits.)

But BC also has a huge problem with drink-driving and distracted-driving. There are occasionally people who are thrill seekers who will exceed safe speeds, but most people drive at what feels comfortable. When people are intoxicated or distracted, their judgement is impaired.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:56 AM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
But BC also has a huge problem with drink-driving and distracted-driving. There are occasionally people who are thrill seekers who will exceed safe speeds, but most people drive at what feels comfortable. When people are intoxicated or distracted, their judgement is impaired.
Okay I came back. Don't change the argument. If you're distracted it doesn't matter whether you're driving 30km/h or 130km/h... you could have a wreck, run over someone, etc.. Not what this debate is about. And in case you're not aware every friggin' jurisdiction on the planet is attempting to crack down on our latest distraction, cell phones.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
I do, although I will edge up to 10km/hr or so above the limit if I'm delaying people, at least until there's an opportunity for them to pass me or for me to pull over.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 1:54 AM

I laughed at them presenting BC as the province with the highest posted speed limits in the country. They showed Coquihalla Highway (120km/h) but didn't mention the new Highway 1 (90km/h).

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:59 AM
HA

When will BCMOT ever start to review all of the speed limits of freeways and major highways within Metro Vancouver as well???

And one of the biggest annoyances leading to unnecessary traffic slowdowns are semis overtaking other trucks in the left lane on highways/freeways, not to mention extreme danger resulting from this. I always see this on the 91. There needs to be a complete ban on all trucks heavier than a specific weight (especially semis) on the left-most lane of all freeways and major highways in BC.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
When will BCMOT ever start to review all of the speed limits of freeways and major highways within Metro Vancouver as well???

And one of the biggest annoyances leading to unnecessary traffic slowdowns are semis overtaking other trucks in the left lane on highways/freeways, not to mention extreme danger resulting from this. I always see this on the 91. There needs to be a complete ban on all trucks heavier than a specific weight (especially semis) on the left-most lane of all freeways and major highways in BC.
The ministry will probably not support putting such signage on 2/2 highways (i.e. where there is only one passing lane).

(Google Street View)
There used to be a sign on the old Port Mann

(Google Street View)
Old Highway 17 has signage at the intersection with Hwy 10.

(Google Street View)
Ironworkers Memorial

There are definitely other places that could use similar signage (Alex Fraser, Pitt River, and Golden Ears Bridges, the Cut, Boundary @ Marine)

Last edited by makr3trkr; Nov 2, 2015 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:

(Google Street View)
Ironworkers Memorial
Just curious, does the sign in this case mean the middle lane over the bridge or the rightmost lane?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Just curious, does the sign in this case mean the middle lane over the bridge or the rightmost lane?
I think "right LANES only" would be preferable in that case, particularly since the rightmost lane is an exit.

I imagine there wasn't room for overhead signage, or it would have conflicted with the other signs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 8:46 AM

Variable speed limits coming

"Variable speed limits coming to three highways

by Jeff Nagel - BC Local News
posted Dec 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM— updated Dec 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM

New electronic speed signs that activate in bad weather to reduce the speed limit are now being installed on stretches of the Sea-To-Sky Highway, the Coquihalla and Highway 1 near Revelstoke.

The province committed to the variable speed zones at the same time it decided to raise the posted maximums to 120 km/h on portions of the Coquihalla, and to 100 km/h on much of the Sea-to-Sky Highway.

The 47 digital signs are to go live in early 2016 and when they're activated the dialed-down limit will be enforceable by police."

http://www.peacearchnews.com/news/360089441.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 9:04 AM

Not saying its a bad idea - I just think if people actually observed what posted speed limits were these signs wouldn't be scene as necessary. Posted speed limits are for top speeds under ideal driving conditions. But I guess that's human nature - we need our hands held for everything.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:22 PM

Yeah, saw few of those being installed along Sea-toSky-Highway.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Since they increased the speed limits on the Coq and Okanagan Connector, I'm always under the speed limit now. Even before they increased the limit, I was often doing 105 on average.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure