HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:38 PM

Once the Waverley underpass is complete, are there any other rail grade separations that the city should consider? (Excluding Perimeter)

The other ones that come to mind are Marion at Archibald, Fermor, and Bishop all on the same rail line.

Aside from that, I can’t think of a major rail crossing that has enough traffic to justify grade separation. Even the few on Kenaston and Lag that “should” be grade separated if we wanted the glitzy title of having proper freeways don’t have enough rail traffic to justify that expense.

If ever the city does grade separate the Bishop crossing they could probably incorporate a folded diamond of some sort to eliminate the light at Lakewood

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:24 PM

Perimeter is the province's jurisdiction anyway. Bishop, or any other "freeway" should never have an at grade crossing, regardless how much use it gets. But unfortunately there's so many other serious issues on Bishop that need to be fixed first, like grade separation @ Waverley.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Once the Waverley underpass is complete, are there any other rail grade separations that the city should consider? (Excluding Perimeter)
William Clement and the CN main line is a pretty hot one at the moment leading to the departures of several traffic engineers from the city.

The CP mainline and Plessis is another hot spot.

The rail crossing on Kenaston downright cripple that route at times.

The Arlington Bridge is also long past due for a complete replacement and it become super important with closing hospitals as it will be an important route to one of the remaining facilities.

Pretty sure there are others I have missed too.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:27 PM

The only ones that strike me as a must are the ones WildCake mentioned on that same CP line that goes to the US... building all 3 anytime soon is probably not feasible, so I'd think that Bishop Grandin should be prioritized.

Plessis at the CP mainline as CoryB mentioned will probably continue to get busier... so even if it isn't a major priority now, it likely will become one over the next 10-20 years as that area gets busier.

Honourable mention to Kenaston near Rona just for sheer traffic count.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:23 AM

Hello folks. Here's my video of a drive to the James A Richardson airport:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:04 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Fermor at St. Anne's Rd.

According to this CTV News Winnipeg report the day of the crash between the Duffy's Taxi and the 1/2 tonne pickup, there were 624 collisions between 2012 and 2016.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1284163

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
According to this CTV News Winnipeg report the day of the crash between the Duffy's Taxi and the 1/2 tonne pickup, there were 624 collisions between 2012 and 2016.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1284163
And there are 14 more intersections that have worse counts in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:04 PM

Scary and sad that an intersection that averages an accident every 2 days is ranked #15 in the city. Personally, I blame these troubling statistics on the following:

1) major intersections that should have been grade separated in some form a long time ago. Obvious ones are along our "inner ring road" but in other cities intersections such as Fermor/St.Annes would most likely be a diamond

2) poorly timed traffic lights. Traffic on higher speed routes like Bishop, Fermor etc should NOT be stopping every 30 seconds. Especially in a city where the streets are icy half of the year.

Until the city takes some steps to address these issues, accident rates will continue to worsen as traffic counts climb.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:59 PM

Interestingly some of the highest collision intersections in the City are on the "inner" ring road routes and would support building both CPT and the western leg. Further, from memory, none of the highest collision intersection involve Bishop or the south Perimeter.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Scary and sad that an intersection that averages an accident every 2 days is ranked #15 in the city. Personally, I blame these troubling statistics on the following:

1) major intersections that should have been grade separated in some form a long time ago. Obvious ones are along our "inner ring road" but in other cities intersections such as Fermor/St.Annes would most likely be a diamond

2) poorly timed traffic lights. Traffic on higher speed routes like Bishop, Fermor etc should NOT be stopping every 30 seconds. Especially in a city where the streets are icy half of the year.

Until the city takes some steps to address these issues, accident rates will continue to worsen as traffic counts climb.
Bishop is a microcosm of everything wrong with planning and infrastructure in Winnipeg!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Interestingly some of the highest collision intersections in the City are on the "inner" ring road routes and would support building both CPT and the western leg. Further, from memory, none of the highest collision intersection involve Bishop or the south Perimeter.
Actually, Bishop Grandin is up there along with other inner ring road routes like Lagimodiere and Kenaston, which is hardly surprising considering traffic volumes, speed and inadequate infrastructure.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...rash-1.3404281

Leila and McPhillips is usually near the top of the heap which I suppose speaks to some degree of need for more capacity in that area. The funny thing about that intersection is that it doesn't really feel in any way treacherous as some of the overloaded mega-intersections around town (think Kenaston at Sterling Lyon, or Regent at Lagimodiere) but for whatever reason it is an absolute accident magnet.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 5:47 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Actually, Bishop Grandin is up there along with other inner ring road routes like Lagimodiere and Kenaston, which is hardly surprising considering traffic volumes, speed and inadequate infrastructure.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...rash-1.3404281

Leila and McPhillips is usually near the top of the heap which I suppose speaks to some degree of need for more capacity in that area. The funny thing about that intersection is that it doesn't really feel in any way treacherous as some of the overloaded mega-intersections around town (think Kenaston at Sterling Lyon, or Regent at Lagimodiere) but for whatever reason it is an absolute accident magnet.
Which is why the western extension of CPT is sorely needed. It would relieve traffic on Leila/McPhillips, and when the 2nd western extension of CPT is built (from McPhillips to Route 90), then it would relieve traffic along McPhillips between Leila and Inkster, the intersection of McPhillips and Inkster, and traffic along Inkster between McPhillips and Route 90.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Leila and McPhillips is usually near the top of the heap which I suppose speaks to some degree of need for more capacity in that area.
Considering Lelia is a residential street and the area has seen significant residential growth in the past 20 years with no new roads it isn't surprising there are issues in the area. In roughly the same time period Bishop went from two lanes (yes, one each direction) to four lanes.

In terms of why Lelia and McPhillips makes the list, at peak times it can take several light cycles to make it through that intersection. There are also lanes shared to through traffic and left turns.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
In terms of why Lelia and McPhillips makes the list, at peak times it can take several light cycles to make it through that intersection. There are also lanes shared to through traffic and left turns.
That is an idiotic setup... I learned that the hard way last year at another McPhillips intersection with that design "feature" when a woman changed lanes into me thinking that I had turned left already instead of continuing on to the intersection.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:57 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
In roughly the same time period Bishop went from two lanes (yes, one each direction) to four lanes.
Bishops Lane?

Bishop Grandin, at least near my home at the time in Southdale, was originally built with two lanes in each direction.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 11:20 PM

When built Bishop Grandin was 2 lanes east of the Seine. There was a zig zag in and out for the traffic lights. I think it became 4 lanes in the late 80s, around 10 years after original construction. Likewise, 59 south of Bishop Grandin was 2 lanes well into the 90s. Not that hard to believe really.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:20 AM

There was a huge accident at St. Mary's and Perimeter today..

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
When built Bishop Grandin was 2 lanes east of the Seine. There was a zig zag in and out for the traffic lights. I think it became 4 lanes in the late 80s, around 10 years after original construction. Likewise, 59 south of Bishop Grandin was 2 lanes well into the 90s. Not that hard to believe really.
Yes east of the Seine. And back then there was basically just farmers fields east of the seine. But between st Anne’s and Pembina was always full of houses and 4 lanes.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Bishops Lane?

Bishop Grandin, at least near my home at the time in Southdale, was originally built with two lanes in each direction.
Bishop between Lag and roughly St Annes was two lanes total in the late 1980s. I think from St Annes to Pembina was four lanes back then but unsure on the St Marys to Pembina section.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Bishop between Lag and roughly St Annes was two lanes total in the late 1980s. I think from St Annes to Pembina was four lanes back then but unsure on the St Marys to Pembina section.
Yes, east of the Seine River it was two lanes only with a dangerous intersection at Lakewood and west of that it was four lines all the way to Pembina, where it ended at an intersection with traffic lights.

Kenaston was also two lanes south of Wilkes and ended at McGillivray, at believe it or not, a 3-way stop sign!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan