HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Peg Beer Co has closed. Per their FB: "We are currently closed. Once we are able to provide further info, we will. Thank you for your support and understanding."
Would've went for lunch there today, been there 5-6 times and enjoyed my food and service. Went to Cibo instead and had a great lunch there. Hope something else can make a go of it there - a parkade is definitely needed in the Exchange.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 1:09 PM

Moxies in St.Vital Centre is closed. The last day was Feb 24th. A sign outside the door said to visit the nearest Moxies on Kenaston.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I liked Leo's in Calgary. Interesting location choice. Next to Park, which is probably good, but seems like it would have made more sense in OV vs. South Osborne. Guessing it's a combination of high rents in OV and the *perception* that there's less competition in South Osborne?

(I think a Leo's in OV would thrive, probably at the cost of Jekyl and the Toad, both of which get away with being crappy because they don't have much competition, and I worry the SO area doesn't have the neighbourhood density to sustain a Leo's...)
Toad will live on. It's a great dive bar... enough beer selection to keep most happy. For me, I love the whisky bar adjacent... great drinks, epic whisky selection and even more beers. I definitely don't consider the toad crappy, it's the right thing for the right spot with some great offerings inside.

Jekyll's? Well, I don't think so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
South Osborne is a great location given the number of people who live in the Riverview/Lord Robers/Elm Park area.

Winnipeg needs more "neighbourhood pubs". I would love to see one open up in the East Kildonan area since the best we can do is BP and Jeffrey's.
Well that's North Kildonan... don't call us East haha! But fully agreed... although Jeffrey's makes a great pizza.

What we need more of is the Grove or something like that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Moxies in St.Vital Centre is closed. The last day was Feb 24th. A sign outside the door said to visit the nearest Moxies on Kenaston.
As mentioned before, that one was a sole proprietor and not owned by the same company as all the others here. That's why it was so outdated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Toad will live on. It's a great dive bar... enough beer selection to keep most happy. For me, I love the whisky bar adjacent... great drinks, epic whisky selection and even more beers. I definitely don't consider the toad crappy, it's the right thing for the right spot with some great offerings inside.

LOVE the whisky bar. Jekyll's needs to die already. I really hope the reno renders were accurate and that space gets split up. It's just far too big for anything decent to make a go of it there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Well that's North Kildonan... don't call us East haha! But fully agreed... although Jeffrey's makes a great pizza.

What we need more of is the Grove or something like that.
I live far from Jeffrey's but drive there a few times a year for their pizza. Delicious.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:04 AM

I heard that Bouchee Boucher has suddenly closed down... that place looked like it was doing well.

They claim they're closing down for about a month, but we all know how it goes with these "temporary" closures. Anyone know what's going on over there?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I heard that Bouchee Boucher has suddenly closed down... that place looked like it was doing well.

They claim they're closing down for about a month, but we all know how it goes with these "temporary" closures. Anyone know what's going on over there?
Poor scores on a recent health board inspection perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:

oh no. I was a regular there for lunch and to buy meat. that hurts.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:07 PM

the original majority owner left long time ago (opened Little Goat), from what I heard there's been various PT owners since.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:38 PM

I can't go back to Safeway!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:30 PM

^^ Especially when Safeway is likely existing the market for good at the end of business next Saturday. The union has voted overwhelming to strike and management is dug in deep on its positions the only way stores stay open is if employees take a pay cut. Consider the amount of location duplication the parent company will likely let those stores go dark and stay dark.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:20 PM

I heard Safeway wants to eliminate the bakery and meat departments. Not much middle ground. I switched from Safeway to Bouchee Boucher and Le Croissant for meats and breads. The farmer's market is not as good but is appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Especially when Safeway is likely existing the market for good at the end of business next Saturday. The union has voted overwhelming to strike and management is dug in deep on its positions the only way stores stay open is if employees take a pay cut. Consider the amount of location duplication the parent company will likely let those stores go dark and stay dark.
If all the Safeways close that will leave the market somewhat underserved... I would imagine that a good number of those would then reopen as Freshco locations, or perhaps get acquired by competitors such as Co-op or Save On Foods?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:42 PM

Now that Safeway is part of Sobeys, if they were to close them and reopen as Sobeys, would they be able to eliminate the union employees?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:51 PM

I have hundreds of dollars worth of Safeway gift cards. I hope I do not become an unsecured creditor.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:41 PM

Safeway gift cards should be safe as Sobeys and Safeway have fully merged. It isn't exactly a hidden fact either that there are still lots of overlapping locations.

In terms of flipping the banner and dropping the union, the existing union contract for Safeway might cover that and force the new banner into the union contract.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I have hundreds of dollars worth of Safeway gift cards. I hope I do not become an unsecured creditor.
You might be SkyCity'd.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
If something does happen in Manitoba you can use them in the store in Kenora as they are under a different UFCW contract and not close if Manitoba goes on strike. Or sell them to somebody that has a cottage in that area.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:37 PM

The butcher shop at Bouchée Boucher is still open. Sweet.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If all the Safeways close that will leave the market somewhat underserved... I would imagine that a good number of those would then reopen as Freshco locations, or perhaps get acquired by competitors such as Co-op or Save On Foods?
I sometimes shop at the Safeway on Henderson and can't believe how dead that particular location is (or are all Safeways like that now), last time I was there I could count the number of shoppers on one hand!

Safeway ripped off Manitobans for far too long when there wasn't much local competition, now they can't compete!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan