HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Thanks. I definitely think more international gates are needed. And, the additional runway. PHL is notoriously bad for having delays taxiing in the runway and flights circling around the city waiting to land on the runway.

I flew to Atlanta on Delta this summer, and we left from the "International Terminal". It was a ghost town in the middle of the day and our poor little aging MD-90 looked so sad sitting at the gate. It did not look like we need more international capacity.

And, except for weather problems, I have not heard of any ongoing, systemic problems causing delayed landings. Another runway would be nice, but the data doesn't support it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:26 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I fly spring and summer the most and delays are prevalent.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-a...-season-ahead/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Can you at least say if they'll actually be downtown or Riverfront (Yes or no for either)…..

No pressure if you can't say, just very curious.
Once again, I'm really sorry but I don't think I can share anything about them besides the fact that they exist. I will say that they excite me a lot, which should hint what some of them involve. Looking at the way the plans are organized, we could be hearing about them soon if they are approved (like maybe even less than a year from now). I know you and other people are extremely curious, but I don't want to get into trouble if I share them earlier than they want. But trust me, If I could share them, I would because they are very good and exciting plans! Keep your ears open as I'm sure they will be revealed soon.

Also, If anyone is interested, I've done a decent amount of work on the diagram side of this website, mainly for Wilmington but also for some other cities too. You can check out my drawings here - http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=26229

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
PREIT sells Exton land on which apartments will be built

Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust has closed on the sale of four acres at Exton Square Mall off Route 30 in Exton and reaped $10.3 million in proceeds from the transaction. The sale price wasn’t disclosed.

As expected, Hanover Co. bought the property and plans to develop an apartment community with 300 units that will create more of mixed-use community at the retail property.
More: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...s-will-be.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
I flew to Atlanta on Delta this summer, and we left from the "International Terminal". It was a ghost town in the middle of the day and our poor little aging MD-90 looked so sad sitting at the gate. It did not look like we need more international capacity.

And, except for weather problems, I have not heard of any ongoing, systemic problems causing delayed landings. Another runway would be nice, but the data doesn't support it.
90% of International Flights leave at night. So if you were there during the day, then it explains why it was quiet.

This is true of almost all inter-continental flights. The only exception would be "International" flights to the Carribbean and Mexico, which for the most part, are in the same time zones as the US.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Maybe the tower additions to the Fash District might be in the cards after all?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Maybe the tower additions to the Fash District might be in the cards after all?
They were never out of the picture.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
They were never out of the picture.
I hear you. What I meant to say was maybe this is an indication that they are moving closer to making it actually happen.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:20 PM

^ I hit a paywall. Is there mention of the Gallery/FDP towers in the article about Exton?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ I hit a paywall. Is there mention of the Gallery/FDP towers in the article about Exton?
The "more"

Quote:
PREIT (NYSE: PEI) has been looking for more opportunities to add residential units to its malls. It has calculated that it could add 5,000 to 7,000 apartment units to the properties it owns in the Philadelphia and Washington markets. The Plymouth Meeting Mall, Willow Grove Mall, Fashion District Philadelphia and Cherry Hill Mall are among the properties it owns locally.

As part of that effort, the company has also identified a 12 properties where it could build 1,500 to 3,000 hotel rooms. The company said in a statement that it “is in active discussions on three additional multifamily opportunities and three hotel opportunities” but didn't elaborate.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Not directly. It mentioned that PREIT are selling assets and focusing on adding residential components to some of their mall properties.

I brought it up wondering if anyone agreed that this may be referencing the yet-to-be-officially-announced Fashion District Tower phase.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 10:10 PM

I would say it's definitely a good sign. I think a good estimate is that we could see an overbuild announced around late 2019-2020, should the current residential market continue the way it has, and if the East Market development keeps selling well (which it has).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:20 AM

They announced months ago (late May) that as soon as the construction of the new East Market Fashion Disaster errrr...District is finished that they will start construction on two residential towers over the mall (where the footings have been in place since the Eisenhower administration).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
They announced months ago (late May) that as soon as the construction of the new East Market Fashion Disaster errrr...District is finished that they will start construction on two residential towers over the mall (where the footings have been in place since the Eisenhower administration).
Ah, my bad.

I thought that these were just a possibility and nothing concrete had been announced.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:29 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
In reference to Knight Hospitaller's remark about Exton:

Housing in Chester County is getting a bit out of hand. Given that we're talking about housing going around Exton Mall, I'm somewhat on the fence with this. It's good that rural land isn't succumbing to development in this case, but it's going to really exacerbate traffic in this area.

I know there are plans to improve pedestrian access and walkability in and around Exton, particularly with the SEPTA/Amtrak station, but they're going to need to establish more of a network in Exton as a whole.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
The "more"
Thanks! This sort of thing is a no brainer for shopping mall owners in general. In the suburban context, they have all of that land and don't even get to charge for the parking. Adding a residential component provides a built in customer base in a shifting retail sector. The post-war model took retail out of the towns, so now we're bringing the towns to the retail.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:39 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Thanks! This sort of thing is a no brainer for shopping mall owners in general. In the suburban context, they have all of that land and don't even get to charge for the parking. Adding a residential component provides a built in customer base in a shifting retail sector. The post-war model took retail out of the towns, so now we're bringing the towns to the retail.
And in some cases the infrastructure as well (i.e. subway/metro, regional rail, etc)

Examples:
The ongoing extension of the WMATA Silver Line which brought metro service to Tyson's Corner a few years ago
The proposed extension of the Norristown Speed Line to King of Prussia
The light rail line linking downtown Minneapolis with Mall of America

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:36 AM

World-Class Sound Stage Set for Wilmington Riverfront

"In an exclusive with Out & About, Scott Humphrey, president of Light Action Productions in New Castle, says his company is building a 150,000-square-foot facility on 10 acres of land along the 7th Street Peninsula. The $8 million project will feature a 25,000-square-foot, 95-foot-tall sound stage called the Pine Box, which Humphrey says will be lit up and visible from Interstate 495."

https://outandaboutnow.com/2018/11/1...on-riverfront/

Mayor Purzycki Welcomes a New World Class Sound Stage to Wilmington; Light Action to Build a Multi-Million Dollar Music, TV and Film Facility on the 7th Street Peninsula

"The Out and About article quotes Humphrey as saying that once the facility is built, Light Action Productions’ warehouse – which will be filled with live entertainment production elements – will occupy 90,000 square feet, along with 30,000 square feet of space designated to design, video and lighting studios and conference rooms. Another 5,000 square feet will be reserved for office space and the final 25,000 square feet for the Pine Box."

https://www.wilmingtonde.gov/Home/Co.../News/4171/225

I'm either too stupid or lazy to post a photos here but there are artists renderings in the article.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:27 PM

Wilmington updates

^Very cool - The Pine Box.

2000 Pennsylvania Ave project:

http://www.bernardon.com/project/200...lvania-avenue/

Riverfront Hotels:

Avenue of the Arts - although completed, Capano put this fence around the property, cutting off the Riverwalk from access to the building, talk about "private property" feel:

Wilmington Transit Center:
Looks like Wilmington's new bus terminal is about to begin construction - next to the train station:

More info here:
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...nts/693758001/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:29 AM

Capano really messed up the feel of the riverfront with that fence. It makes their property look awkward and ruins that section of the riverfront...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations