HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 9:46 PM

I sometimes wonder how much money Vranich actually has. Clearly the property has value and could be made into something, even if just redoing the apartments. Yet all these properties just sit there.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 12:23 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
It'll be a great parking lot for his 3 bars in Hess Village.

Just for the record the Lister had about 5 fires in three years too when it was vacant. It speeds up the demolition by neglect process. And it's always good to have no roof just like the Century.
For the record, none of those fires did any significant damage to the building as it was built specifically with fire resilient materials (concrete and steel). It certainly had no effect on the demolition by neglect process.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 3:14 PM
Closed account

The loss of the roof can't have helped.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 11:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Guess this proposal is dead with rumours that Denis intend to restore the vacant building as condos.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Permit 10-201640-00
Apartments Alteration

Description
Structural alterations only to the interior of the existing 3-storey residential apartment building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:23 AM
It's Hammer Time

275 King Street West (Concert Hall) | ? | ? | Planning -> 275 King Street West | ? | 3 fl | Under Construction

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:30 PM

How long has this building been in that state? It's been at least four years, I'd guess? Maybe longer?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 6:43 PM

so now they have started some form of work...as the winter weather approaches...thanks for shutting down another lane on King Street, with another less than a block away at the Good Sheppard Center. The route will be a nightmare in a few weeks with snow banks imminent.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevue View Post
so now they have started some form of work...as the winter weather approaches...thanks for shutting down another lane on King Street, with another less than a block away at the Good Sheppard Center. The route will be a nightmare in a few weeks with snow banks imminent.
You don't think the city will clear the snow?

Relax. Progress is good.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 5:00 AM

has anyone been around the Queen and King area recently? I noticed the lot, I believed Vrancor owns it, a block north on Queen, seems to have some new holes dug in it, and orange fencing - maybe I just never noticed it before, but maybe some testing going on?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...__PED12033.pdf

That a grant in the estimated amount of $333,652.84 under the Hamilton Downtown Property Improvement Grant Program (HDPIGP) for the Hess Village Real Estate Corporation, owner of the property at 275 King Street West, be authorized and approved in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Program

The applicant is proposing to develop a four-storey, twenty-nine unit apartment building by way of redeveloping the existing derelict three-storey apartment building. The building will be constructed to LEED certified Gold standard.

Development costs are estimated at $4,301,124 and it is projected that the proposed redevelopment will increase the current value assessment (CVA) of the property from its current $448,250 to approximately $3,700,000

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...__PED12032.pdf

That a conditional loan commitment totalling $932,500 for the Hess Village Real Estate Corporation, the registered owner of the property at 275 King Street West, be authorized and approved in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Hamilton Downtown Multi-Residential Property Investment Program

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:48 AM

Well, I wouldn't give a million bucks to Dennis but...

Perhaps, just maybe something will happen with this property, other than it becoming a parking lot, that is.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...__PED12033.pdf

That a grant in the estimated amount of $333,652.84 under the Hamilton Downtown Property Improvement Grant Program (HDPIGP) for the Hess Village Real Estate Corporation, owner of the property at 275 King Street West, be authorized and approved in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Program

The applicant is proposing to develop a four-storey, twenty-nine unit apartment building by way of redeveloping the existing derelict three-storey apartment building. The building will be constructed to LEED certified Gold standard.

Development costs are estimated at $4,301,124 and it is projected that the proposed redevelopment will increase the current value assessment (CVA) of the property from its current $448,250 to approximately $3,700,000
Sweeeeet! This is close to my place, a black eye I hoped would be erased in no time. Five years since I moved in, but its actually happening. Pinch me.

Also, Steeltown; you are on the ball with finding this... Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:09 AM

Proposed 275 King St West.

For those who didn't click and and read the link above, this needs to be seen - wow.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:20 AM

Wait just a minute. This is a Dennis / Darko project right? If so, we need to temper our enthusiasm for fairly obvious reasons.

You're new in town, I believe. Do a little research on the family. Dennis is a disaster and his father isn't much better.

Something good may come of this but the fate of 220 Dundurn - another of his properties - still hangs in the balance. We shall see.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 12:59 PM

From Ryan McGreal's twitter: https://twitpic.com/b8q0qp

Looks like there's actually work being done there, now. Nice, considering how long the South lane of King has been blocked off...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 7:19 PM

work's been crawling along on that site for a few months. Now they're finally doing some forming and pouring but lots of prep before this. Looks like they have about 5 guys working there so pretty low budget.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:25 AM

Work has begun erecting the interior walls of the top glass floor!

I hope that encourages the nice looking unused buildings across the street to come back to life.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 2:40 PM
Hammer'd

Really good to see this building coming back to life. I'm not a fan of Vranich's past history but I can't argue against this sudden burst of life coming from them. I really hope the recent news on 220 Dundurn will be part of it soon.

Very surprised that they kept the original building too. It's not really terribly fancy but it's nice to see some adaptive re-use.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton