HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Does anyone know when West St is going to be realigned between the WFC and WTC and the Hudson River Greenway will be redone? Will it be done with the renovation of the Winter Gardens, with the completion of the WTC Memorial, or in another phase?
As soon as the World Trade Center is done they will probably start on it. After 2013.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:56 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Those beams embedded in the floor are to carry the load of the columns/ribs over the bus ramp which is directly below. What I am wondering is why they did not need to do that on the North side. Probably has to do with column location and spacing.
The hub is built on that skewered plane, meant originally for the void of light it would cause, with Tower 2(also because it fits into the site better, this way). The perimeter columns end a lot earlier on the north side than they do on the south side, and the bus rap goes through Tower 2's foundations instead.

West Street has a long way to go before they start reconstruction. They're working on the underpass, and they're working on the Transit Hub/WFC connector right outside the Winter garden. It also helps if the road is as far away from 1WTC as possible to prevent another crane accident.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Port Authority Chooses Company To Build Skylight For WTC Transit Hub http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top...tc-transit-hub
updated to include title of link

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
As soon as the World Trade Center is done they will probably start on it. After 2013.
Yeah I always wanted to know when they would realign the streets around the world trade center site? The streets look curvy and uneven. I also wanted to know when they will remodel the north bridge the way it looked before it was destroyed on 9/11?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC=WTC View Post
Yeah I always wanted to know when they would realign the streets around the world trade center site? The streets look curvy and uneven. I also wanted to know when they will remodel the north bridge the way it looked before it was destroyed on 9/11?
They aren't going to remodel the north bridge. The thing that looks like it is built out of pieces of scrap metal is going to be removed and replaced by the underground connector to the WFC. The connector is going to be underneath the road where the old north bridge was.

We're lucky they are keeping the south bridge at this point. I say at this point because they still have time to change their minds. I really hope they keep it since it really is the last above ground remnant of the old complex.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
They aren't going to remodel the north bridge. The thing that looks like it is built out of pieces of scrap metal is going to be removed and replaced by the underground connector to the WFC. The connector is going to be underneath the road where the old north bridge was.

We're lucky they are keeping the south bridge at this point. I say at this point because they still have time to change their minds. I really hope they keep it since it really is the last above ground remnant of the old complex.
Otie mentioned to me that they will not rebuild the original north wtc bridge. Instead they will make crosswalks and a underground passage way to maneuver between West st. Otie also mentioned that they will indeed be keeping the south wtc bridge. Hope they changed that zig zag entrance though

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC=WTC View Post
Hope they changed that zig zag entrance though
That's only temporary.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:15 PM

I was shocked and astounded to hear that the south bridge managed to evade all the falling debris on 9/11. They should indeed, keep it, for that purpose.

The zigzag entrance is only temporary until the official ramp on the roof of the VSC is completed.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:05 PM

It looks like the Greenwich Street area is getting ready for some cement to be poured soon.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 9:46 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
Here are the high-res photos (same as above) from WTC Progress Facebook Page.

Path hub east west connector – fit out.

So are these concrete then? I thought they were all steel. Or is that a different section?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:19 AM
BANNED

No, they're all steel.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall guy 31 View Post
It looks like the Greenwich Street area is getting ready for some cement to be poured soon.
Yeah they poured a little section today.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:53 PM

RE: New cement on Greenwich Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall guy 31 View Post
I am curious how the present parts of Greenwich Street are going to be brought up to the grade level of the section now being poured. There were 4 or 5 steps leading up to the walkway over the H beams, so there must be at least a 2 to 3 foot difference in elevation.

On edit: I think this rendering from sketchup.google.com answers my question. There is going to be a significant build-up of Greenwich Street on both sides of the H beams now being covered with concrete:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=1299440695505

Last edited by SidewalkSuper; May 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM. Reason: I found a drawing that addressed my question.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
No, they're all steel.
I thought so. Why do they look like cement then? Is that just a primer for the white paint or something?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:05 AM

It's just white steel. They would eventually be primed and painted white in contrast to the hub's renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSuper View Post
I am curious how the present parts of Greenwich Street are going to be brought up to the grade level of the section now being poured. There were 4 or 5 steps leading up to the walkway over the H beams, so there must be at least a 2 to 3 foot difference in elevation.
Greenwich Street is already at Street Level. The 2 or 3 foot difference will probably be used for street utilities, such as electrical equipment for lights, sidewalks, and sewage lines.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:59 PM

STEEL? how about concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
No, they're all steel.
They don't look like steel, and the joint at the top looks like a rocker join that you see for concrete. They are probably all prefab concrete

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:30 PM

Steel with a ton of fireproofing.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewex View Post
They don't look like steel, and the joint at the top looks like a rocker join that you see for concrete. They are probably all prefab concrete
Nope. It's steel.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:16 PM

I found this picture in Wired New York. I don't know what this piece is for. Can somebody tell me what this piece is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture