HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 9:47 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Austin smaller than Charlotte? Since when? Austin is the 11th largest city in the US, with about 100,000 more people than Charlotte.
Austin has a larger city population; but, at this time, Charlotte has more people in its metropolitan area.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:25 PM

I can't believe that city population is used in this context on this forum. I mean of you think Miami has a lot of towers, you should Jacksonville, which is much larger than Miami....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM
Oak City

Construction along the streetcar line. Charlotte currently has two rail lines under construction; the streetcar line and the LYNX light rail Blue Line extension.

Source

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:59 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Just seemed like a strong response. All the best to you. I left a piece of my heart in Philly. Think Tasty Cakes are overrated however.
Thanks, to you as well! Ha ha to each their own, but I love me some Tasty Cakes.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 5:06 PM

I just recently added Charlotte as one of the markets on http://devmap.io and suddenly there are a lot of developments being added. I wanted to share it with you guys if you're interested: http://charlotte.devmap.io

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:47 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
I just recently added Charlotte as one of the markets on http://devmap.io and suddenly there are a lot of developments being added. I wanted to share it with you guys if you're interested: http://charlotte.devmap.io
Thanks, I added some more to it, and some more to Raleigh as well.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:04 AM
Oak City

Skyhouse Charlotte update:

In this shot you can see the whole block which will eventually include a second Skyhouse tower and an office tower on the right:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 8:11 PM
Oak City

world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster is coming to Carowinds in Charlotte. "Riders will board into three 32-passenger open-air trains and begin their ascent to the top of a 325-foot (over 30 stories) hill. Fury 325 will race through a series of hills, curves and quick transitions while reaching speeds of up to 95 miles per hour. Riders will speed along 6,602 feet of track during the nearly three-and-one-half-minute ride. The initial drop that riders will experience is 81 degrees."

Also, Charlotte metro's second commercial airport, Concord Regional, Allegiant is adding flights to Tampa (2 weekly) and adding two more weekly to Orland for a total of 4. Source

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster is coming to Carowinds in Charlotte. "Riders will board into three 32-passenger open-air trains and begin their ascent to the top of a 325-foot (over 30 stories) hill. Fury 325 will race through a series of hills, curves and quick transitions while reaching speeds of up to 95 miles per hour. Riders will speed along 6,602 feet of track during the nearly three-and-one-half-minute ride. The initial drop that riders will experience is 81 degrees."

Also, Charlotte metro's second commercial airport, Concord Regional, Allegiant is adding flights to Tampa (2 weekly) and adding two more weekly to Orland for a total of 4. Source
I'm moving to within five minutes of Concord airport and found a round-trip flight to Orlando for $66.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 7:50 AM

is there still a new Amtrak station ??
near the ballpark area I think....

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:42 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is there still a new Amtrak station ??
near the ballpark area I think....
"This was supposed to be the year construction launched on perhaps the most important public project to hit uptown Charlotte in years: a $150 million-plus plan to demolish the Trade Street Greyhound station and replace it with a modern transit hub anchoring a 23-acre office, residential and retail district.

But after more than a decade of planning, state officials leading the Gateway Station project still haven’t secured the money to pay for it or the consent of the railroad company that owns the tracks."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

The station has been in the planning stages since 1991. Here's a conceptual rendering:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:16 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

That would be awesome if it gets built.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 1:40 AM

Quote:
"This was supposed to be the year construction launched on perhaps the most important public project to hit uptown Charlotte in years: a $150 million-plus plan to demolish the Trade Street Greyhound station and replace it with a modern transit hub anchoring a 23-acre office, residential and retail district.

But after more than a decade of planning, state officials leading the Gateway Station project still haven’t secured the money to pay for it or the consent of the railroad company that owns the tracks."

The station has been in the planning stages since 1991. Here's a conceptual rendering:
Atrocious! How about a more practical building that addresses the street and sidewalk appropriately? Weather protection to the street is mandatory and the crazy roof depicted would cost a fortune. Blech

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:06 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Atrocious! How about a more practical building that addresses the street and sidewalk appropriately? Weather protection to the street is mandatory and the crazy roof depicted would cost a fortune. Blech
There's no actual design yet, that was just a conceptual rendering. This is a site plan the city developed for it, but again there are no actual design plans yet:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:46 PM
Chairman

Quote:

This looks amazing. I LUV the roof. Hopefully this will become the final design.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Sep 16, 2014 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post

IDK.

If anywhere, shouldn't the entrances to the city be grand when they can be? The interior space on a building like that would be amazing.

The old Penn Station was grand like this. The new MSG station is practical. I think if NYC could do that over again...they would not make that mistake twice.

As for the roof, maybe they use a similar system to the Denver airport that is nothing more than Teflon-coated fiberglass?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 9:51 PM
Oak City

They throw these Skyhouse towers up quick, don't they? I wonder if they will start on tower two as soon as they are done with this one?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:19 AM
Chairman

Quote:
They throw these Skyhouse towers up quick, don't they? I wonder if they will start on tower two as soon as they are done with this one?

They are so similar to one another. The learning curve was already understood and established after the first or second Skyhouse.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:56 PM
Oak City

Skyhouse Charlotte

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 PM
Oak City

A couple of residential projects in uptown:

Fountains:

Rendering:

The Mint:

Rendering:

Here are a few of the projects in Southend along the light rail line:

Quarters at Morehead

View from the other side:

Renderings of Quarters at Morehead:

1100 South Boulevard

Rendering:

Camden Southline

Fountains Southend

Silos Southend

Colonial Reserve

Park and Kingston or Camden Gallery?

Maybe this is Camden Gallery? They all start to look the same after a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations