HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:07 AM

False Creek South Planning

False Creek South Planning Advisory Group - Apply or don't

Quote:
The City of Vancouver is embarking on a neighbourhood planning program in False Creek South with the community and broader public to address affordable housing, transportation, and sustainability issues.
Phase 1 of the planning program will focus on the underdeveloped sites on the community edge.
The False Creek South Planning Advisory Group (PAG) will play an important role during this phase by:
Advising City staff through review and evaluation of Phase 1 plan materials at key points
Providing feedback on the approach and progress of the public engagement process
Reflecting a diverse range of neighbourhood and citywide perspectives
Volunteer on the Planning Advisory Group
We’re looking for members for the Planning Advisory Group, who will help us renew the vision for the future of False Creek South.

Applications are due by 4:00pm on Thursday, November 2, 2017.

Read the terms of reference PDF file (668 KB)
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/fcs-ad...-reference.pdf

Apply now
http://vancouver.ca/your-government/...ory-group.aspx

The application process for being a part of the FSC Advisory group is now open. The city is looking for more than just residents of the specific neighbourhood, so for those that have a desire to contribute, feel they have something to offer, or are just frustrated with some of the area plans (I think most here have complained about the Cambie Corridor plan at least once), here's a chance to help with the future vision of the city. It's more detailed than the application for the Arbutus Jam, and requires a bigger investment of time, but I guess that's why this is referred to as an advisory group rather than a bunch of champions.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 6:58 AM

Upcoming Walking Tours and Public Workshops

Quote:
We are hosting walking tours and a series of themed workshops to inform the first phase of the planning program and focus on developing a vision and community-wide planning principles.

Register to secure your place at these events.

Walking tours
Saturday, November 25, 9:30am - 11:30am
Get details and register

Workshop series
History and context
Saturday, November 25, 1:00pm- 4:00pm
Get details and register

Sustainability
Saturday, December 2, 9:30am - 12:30pm
Get details and register

Public realm and open space
Date: Wednesday, January 10 , 5:00pm - 8:00pm

Housing
Date: Saturday, January 13, 9:30am - 12:30pm

Transportation
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 5:00pm - 8:00pm

Character and urban design
Date: Saturday, February 3, 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Location: False Creek Community Centre, 1318 Cartwright Street
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...g-program.aspx

Quote:
Community Office Hours

Our Housing Planners will be available to answer questions and receive your feedback on the discussion guide for the draft Resident Protection and Retention Plan for False Creek South.

Please join us at the False Creek Co-op’s Western Meeting Room (Enclave 5, 711 Millyard) starting Tuesday, November 21.

Office Hours

Date
Time
Tuesday, November 21
3pm – 7 pm
Wednesday, November 22
2pm – 6pm
Thursday, November 23
8am – 12 pm
Saturday, November 25
10am - 12 pm
Sunday, November 26
12pm – 4 pm
Tuesday, November 28
3pm – 7 pm
Friday, December 1
9am – 1pm

The discussion guide and questionnaire for the draft RPRP will be available at vancouver.ca/FCS starting November 20.

Sincerely,

False Creek South Planning Team
- From the newsletter

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:10 AM

False Creek South Conversations: Looking Back to Look Forward

Boards and public comments from the November 7th Public Meeting. Attendees were :
Quote:
(1) Ray Spaxman, one of False Creek South’s pioneering visionaries; (2) Gil Kelley, our general manager of Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability; (3) Margot Long, respected local landscape architect; (4) Bree Galbraith, a life-long False Creek South resident.
During his speech, Ray Spaxman highlighted the political mood of the 1970s, and felt that the same winds are blowing today. It seemed he sympathized with the current backlash against the pace of development in the city, or at least the backlash against city government.

When Gil Kelley spoke, he said he agreed with Ray Spaxman on a lot of issues going as far as to say that felt a spiritual connection with him. Gil also said that the city intends to have new leases in place by the civic election next year, possibly even as soon as March. Not surprisingly he was mobbed by people during the meet and greet.

Throughout the night, a key point that kept coming up is that while a revision of False Creek South needs to fit into the today's context, it should also retain it's character and vibe, a point agreed to by Heritage Vancouver.
Happily, it was also agreed that the design shouldn't be too specific, and that functionality as well as flexibility is key. I take this to mean that, hopefully, we won't see the rigid design restrictions of the Cambie Corridor prevail here.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:17 AM

History and context + Walking Tours Recap

Here's my recap of the first False Creek South workshop. The first one will be regarding the History, Context and ODP meeting. My impressions from this meeting are that this is a close knit community with some elements that are very resistant to any proposed change. A Fun fact about the community is that, according to census results, it is the area with the highest population of "whites" in all of the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley. I suppose that is due to the fact that a majority of these of the current residents are the same ones that first moved in when the community was built. Another tidbit is that over 30% of the homes are 3 bedroom, with another 30% being 4 bedrooms or more.

Attendees at the event numbered at around 60 people and I would say that, aside from 6 individuals, this was the average age of those who attended. After an introduction from the city, a member of Replan, which is an offshoot of the neighbourhood community association that was formed to negotiate the renewal of the leases, was asked to speak. His words were short and succinct. He informed the room that the city was looking to bring change to their neighbourhood and hear their opinions on how to best to manage this. His answer to the crowd was for them to give the city nothing; tell them nothing, and show them city that change is not welcomed to this area. That speech would set a tone which, in my experience, would only worsen at the next event.

My table had some firm ideas in mind, with a couple individuals insisting that only change should be a city funded renovation of the existing structures, with maybe some small additions that would provide more single-bedroom units. Happily though, the participants at my table were open to an exchange of ideas which the city facilitator further enabled my table enabled an exchange of ideas. Differing opinions were discussed, and I think we all left with a better understanding of each other and our respective view points. The City's official report is now out, and you can see some of the trends I was speaking of reflected in it. Particularly of note is the "FCS summed up in one word" section. The majority of ideas seem to be a fear of upcoming change, with the word that was best associated for today and in the future being the same; "Community." However this adverse reaction to change would take a more sour turn at the next meeting, perhaps that's my impression because I had a far less open-minded table and/or because I was functioning on a low amount of sleep.

Walking Tour East Summary
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/false-...mmary-east.pdf

Walking Tour West Summary
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/false-...mmary-west.pdf

Meeting Summary
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Histor...op-summary.pdf

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:32 PM

I have the sense that the local residents will be almost against any change because they've had a pretty sweet ride on waterfront/water-adjacent low/medium density housing for decades. There's no way what they're living in today would be built today.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:01 AM

FCS Workshop 2 Sustainability - Vandalism and Wasted Funds

The Elementary School was vandalized the night after the first meeting. The neighbourhood association expressed that the school is often vandalized, and that this was unconnected to the planning process.

The document handed out by those demanding refurbishment:

Before I recap the meeting, I thought all would be interested to learn this factoid about gross fiscal and environmental mismanagement. For those not familiar with the area, there is a small waterfall and pond near the Laurel Landbridge; those who have been in Charleson Park will know the one I speak of. It turns out that the water which feeds this feature is potable water!! It's been a couple weeks since the meeting, but if I recall the numbers correctly, the city is spending roughly $60k a year on this!

With that said here's my experience from the second of the FCS workshops, which was on Sustainability. This post is late, but it is still in before the City's official minutes. As I've said previously, I was functioning on little sleep at this event. I also heard that some of the city staff were as well. Hopefully the city got a better experience out of this than I did, because my table was a rather rough one.

Like the previous event, there was about 60 people in attendance, and the demographics skewed even older, with only about 4 individuals who could pass for younger than 50. The tone started much like the other event, with an open hostility to change. During the introduction, one woman from the FCS neighbourhood even stood up and demanded that all those who lived outside the neighbourhood (including the neighbouring areas) should raise their hand to show the residents of the area who they were. Unfortunately, the city staff were clearly caught off guard by this, and did not handle the matter well. The result was that this person/group got their way and roughly 10 people felt pressured to comply. Not only did this create an atmosphere of intimidation, but it felt like a way to single people out and dismiss their opinions in advance.

My table was difficult from the start, which began with one attendee handing out the above document to the 3 people at the table she didn't recognise. After part of this preplanned team effort, these four neighbours united to keep the conversation almost entirely about how the most environmentally friendly thing to do would be to simply refurbish the existing units. One person went as far as to say that any other option would just be foolish. I spoke out against this, and was immediately scorned. After the city facilitators had left the table, one of the four even told me that once I had disagreed with them on the refurbishment, they were going to be against anything I would say for the rest of the meeting.

Ideas that were expressed by others at my table:

1) Stop using concrete to construct buildings because it contributes to global warming.
2)To leave the superior timber from the 1970s standing, as timber today is inferior and wood CLT has chemicals.
3)That every road going north from the Fairview Slopes should be converted into a Laurel Landbridge-like structure.
4) As the original retail in the area did not have the density to support it (the retail units were converted to residential units), no new retail should be built in the area.
5)That the marina co-op should be expanded/doubled in size.
6)That the only new land-based density should be housing/care homes for seniors living in the area.

The last is a real doozy for those who hate Vancouver's roads:

7) That 6th Avenue is too busy, and should be converted into a road with just 2 lanes.

I tried to bring up the benefits of adding homes to support retail, the costs associated with building that many new Landbridges, and how important 6th is as an arterial, but was simply blocked out by the majority of those who came to the event with a plan to work together. Unfortunately, it felt that my voice was not only unwelcome at my table, but was met with open disdain. I hope I don't sound whiny, but it was a weird way to spend 3 hours of my time. I cannot urge members of this forum and/or general public enough; it's time to head out to these meetings, and show the city there's support for growing Vancouver in a reasonable manner, otherwise these existing voices that want nothing to change at all will carry the day.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 7:42 AM

Ouch - yeah, that can't've been pleasant.

So long as they leave 6th Avenue and the streetcar alone, I say they're entitled to their podunk. The City can always come in and rezone once they're gone.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:53 PM

Alternatively, to calm West 6th Ave., a few of the cross streets could cut across Wet 6th to the street north of the tracks, introducing more traffic lights (like plans for Great Northern Way).
The resulting intersections and connections to the parallel streets to the north would then allow removal of the "rat-running" restrictions on those streets and open it up as part of the city grid (rather than an exclusive enclave).
When the streetcar is eventually built, then railway gates with crossing arms and bells can be installed as necessary.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
The last is a real doozy for those who hate Vancouver's roads:

7) That 6th Avenue is too busy, and should be converted into a road with just 2 lanes.

I tried to bring up the benefits of adding homes to support retail, the costs associated with building that many new Landbridges, and how important 6th is as an arterial, but was simply blocked out by the majority of those who came to the event with a plan to work together. Unfortunately, it felt that my voice was not only unwelcome at my table, but was met with open disdain. I hope I don't sound whiny, but it was a weird way to spend 3 hours of my time. I cannot urge members of this forum and/or general public enough; it's time to head out to these meetings, and show the city there's support for growing Vancouver in a reasonable manner, otherwise these existing voices that want nothing to change at all will carry the day.
Sweet jeebuz... they already shut Charleson Road down such that only buses and bikes can use it, and they have the gall to dump on 6th too?

It's days like this that make me want to quote Bruce Cockburn, even if we're on different parts of the political spectrum.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:51 AM

City Report - Sustainability Work Shop and opportunities for participation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Ouch - yeah, that can't've been pleasant.

So long as they leave 6th Avenue and the streetcar alone, I say they're entitled to their podunk. The City can always come in and rezone once they're gone.
I have to disagree. If we wait twenty years, it will be an even worse situation. The people living there will be every bit as entrenched, but will also be empowered by a new long lease term and a poor area plan. In short, this is the time to be involved if things are to get better for this part of the Metro Core.

If you want to see an example, take a look at the City's official report on the second work shop:

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/sustai...op-summary.pdf

My "favorite" quote
Quote:
•We’re not isolated here, we can go somewhere else for culture but here we don’t want to compromise our home life

It's great to see people proposing ideas, I really suggest getting involved in the process. http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...eek-south.aspx

Unfortunately, the Housing Workshop and the Transportation Workshop are now full. That said, the following workshops still have space:

Public realm and open space
Date: Wednesday, January 10 , 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Register : https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/false-cr...ts-41021183464

Character and urban design
Date: Saturday, February 3, 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Location: False Creek Community Centre, 1318 Cartwright Street
Register : https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/false-cr...ts-41022313845

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:00 AM

I'm booked for Transportation. Here goes nothing...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:20 AM

Work Shop #3 - Public Realm and and Open Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I'm booked for Transportation. Here goes nothing...
Glad to hear you'll be there for one of days, I'm sure the the workshop will be better for it.

Here's my recap of round 3 of the False Creek South Workshops.

It seems city staff are really getting their feet under them. The format has seen a big alteration with the long intro video removed, but, more importantly, a set of guidelines have been introduced, which call for respectful discussion and stress that all participants have the right to be there. Along with the normal discussion, participants were asked to draw their favorite public spaces in the world and, at the end of the night, were asked to put on a group performance of their table's consensus (when possible). While the meeting took place from 5pm-8pm, we were all well fed. By the end I was happily stuffed from a spread that included 4 varieties of pizza and an abundance of sushi; it really helped avoid hangriness.

My experience was better too. Though some were still highly resistant to any change, this time there was an openness to dialogue and a friendly tone. It proves that sometimes it can be a few bad apples that ruin a process. I should note that the meeting seemed to have more young people, and staff's official numbers put the attendance split with 65% of people from the neighbourhood and 35% from other areas. The results seemed to show this increase in diversity, with more calling for large changes, more integration with the city, and more density.

There were some memorable moments, such as one of the closing performances where the lead from a table called for an outright ban of all traffic on 6th Avenue!! This was meet with finger snapping applause from their table. Another table envisioned that in 25 years the neighbourhood would be a paradise in comparison to a dystopian Yaletown. Lastly, a resident of the Fairview Slopes mentioned they only recently learned about the FCS neighbourhood, and wished to keep it their private "ephemeral experience" so it should remain disconnected from the rest of the city.
I'll write something up to describe the 4th workshop, "Housing," soon. The last two workshops are now fully booked, however there's usual some open seats the night of. Anyone that wants to make a difference, or get some free sushi, should show up too.

Transportation
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 5:00pm - 8:00pm

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
There were some memorable moments, such as one of the closing performances where the lead from a table called for an outright ban of all traffic on 6th Avenue!! This was meet with finger snapping applause from their table.

This city is doomed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:30 PM
See ya down under, mates

Geez why not just dynamite every road just west of Boundary and be done with it

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Geez why not just dynamite every road just west of Boundary and be done with it
Don't give them any ideas...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:31 AM

balance!

I hate those kind of people who do that

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:32 AM

Seal off all roads to Fairview Slopes so those folks can only walk uphill when they get out. No more driving for them. They should be setting examples if they want quiet streets.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Seal off all roads to Fairview Slopes so those folks can only walk uphill when they get out. No more driving for them. They should be setting examples if they want quiet streets.
Better yet - ban all cars in the area and make them pay for parking outside the area. If they want quiet they can walk between their home and evil cars.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:14 AM

The only place that needs to have cars banned is Gastown on Water Street. Gastown wasn't designed for cars, and there's literally no need for traffic there, use Hastings. Also, maybe close off Granville at night at the theatre/"""clubbing""" district.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
Gastown wasn't designed for cars, and there's literally no need for traffic there, use Hastings.
I trust you're being satirical, because that's the only, and I mean ONLY, way that your sentence makes any empirical sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues