HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Considering how far it has come in the short time that it has been widely available, I'd say that translation technology has a lot of potential.
This isn't how the technology has worked out in the past. The methods used today were around in the 1980's. There was a big jump in performance when the old algorithms could be trained on much larger datasets obtained from the internet, and there have been usability improvement because of the capabilities of phones.

There are some famous examples of simple translation tasks that still frustrate Google Translate or any other tool that wasn't designed with bespoke special case handling.

I don't think we're on a Moore's Law type path toward better translation. It's more like we were 10% of the way there for 40 years then some improvements bumped us up to 15%. Maybe we'll get another bump in capabilities soon, maybe we won't. Nobody knows.

This type of dynamic tends to apply to anything people think of as AI.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:44 PM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This isn't how the technology has worked out in the past. The methods used today were around in the 1980's. There was a big jump in performance when the old algorithms could be trained on much larger datasets obtained from the internet, and there have been usability improvement because of the capabilities of phones.

There are some famous examples of simple translation tasks that still frustrate Google Translate or any other tool that wasn't designed with bespoke special case handling.

I don't think we're on a Moore's Law type path toward better translation. It's more like we were 10% of the way there for 40 years then some improvements bumped us up to 15%. Maybe we'll get another bump in capabilities soon, maybe we won't. Nobody knows.

This type of dynamic tends to apply to anything people think of as AI.
So I guess Star Trek will have to wait.

I am not really a Trekkie BTW. Lest you guys think that.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So I guess Star Trek will have to wait.

I am not really a Trekkie BTW. Lest you guys think that.
Worse than admitting you support the PPC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada