HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
gettin' rich!

Your Top 10 Favorite Projects In Canada

Awesome... lets get some discussion going.

My favorite top ten projects, are the ten tallest buildings under construction in Canada obviously, with some exceptions being:

Aga Khan Museum
Canadian Human Rights Museum.

So basically kick out The U Condos Towers and I'm good with my list.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 4:35 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Ohh! Awesome idea for a new thread Cal, I like it!

Also this way we can also get a fair representation for a "10 top thread" from across the country (all the other ones are pretty much dominated by one city in particular )

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Awesome... lets get some discussion going.

My favorite top ten projects, are the ten tallest buildings under construction in Canada obviously, with some exceptions being:

Aga Khan Museum
Canadian Human Rights Museum.

So basically kick out The U Condos Towers and I'm good with my list.
really? You always seemed to really like the Hotel Georgia tower in Vancouver, which is still officially u/c.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 5:26 AM
Urban Fanactic

As of right now, my favourites are.

1. Aura
2. Shangri-la
3. Absolute
4. Trump
5. The Bow
6. L Tower
7. Hotel Georgia
8. Canadian Human Rights Museum
9. Ice
10. Marriott Hotel (Montreal)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 5:57 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

1. Pond Inlet Iron Mine
2. Fort Hills Upgrader
3. Mackenzie Pipeline
4. Edmonton NW LRT spur
5. Kitimat Coal Facility Expansion
6. Calgary West LRT
7. Port Winnipeg

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 6:03 AM

You mean stuff that isn't built (proposed, under construction, stalled, etc.) right?

If so, then in no order:

Manulife II, Edmonton, AB
Arena District, Edmonton, AB
City Centre Airport redevelopment, Edmonton, AB
Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg, MB
L Tower, Toronto, ON
Aura at College Park, Toronto, ON
O-Train expansion, Ottawa, ON
East Village Revitalization, Calgary, AB
Halifax Central Library, Halifax, NS
Kitchener-Waterloo LRT, Kitchener-Waterloo, ON

Honourable mentions:

The Bow, Calgary, AB
West LRT, Calgary, AB
Regent Park Revitalization, Toronto, ON
Portlands redevelopment, Toronto, ON
Absolute World, Mississauga, ON
NAIT LRT, Edmonton, AB
West/SE LRT, Edmonton, AB
The Georgia, Vancouver, BC
River Landing, Saskatoon, SK
Hamilton Light Rail, Hamilton, ON
District Griffintown, Montreal, QC
Quebec City Streetcar, Quebec City, QC

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 8:38 AM

Pics please

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:14 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Here's my (much too detailed) list.
And to make things more interesting, I'm going to do a count down to my #1.

# 10. Leviathan (306ft tall)
And I'm going to start of with... a roller coaster ride? Well I just had to put this one in here. I mean, this WILL become the most excited(legal) ride in all of Canada when finished. 306ft up - that's 30 floors...! and almost 150kph going down! I can't even go that fast on the highways anymore without losing my license
Also, since the drop actually goes under ground, it'll likely surpass Steel Dragon's record (306ft) for the largest full-circuit, none-launched roller coaster drop in the world, a little something to brag about.

Images courtesy of Canada's Wonderland

# 9. Port Mann Cable-Stayed Bridge (535ft tall)
I don't know too much about this bridge going up on the other side of the country, but what I do know is that it'll have a main span of 470m/1542ft and rise to a height of 163m/535ft. Which makes it by far the longest and tallest bridge u/c in Canada today. When completed it'll become the 3rd longest cable-stayed bridge span in the Western Hemisphere and Canada's 5th longest bridge span overall (behind only Pont de Québec, Lions Gate, Ambassador and Pierre Laporte Bridge) It's been a long time since a bridge in Canada has put up those kinds of numbers and for that reason alone its clearly worthy to be on anyone's top 10 list.

Image courtesy of IBT Engineers

Image courtesy of the Government of BC

# 8. The ARL - Airport Rail Link, Toronto and Georgetown sub upgrades
Yes another transit project in the top 10 and there's still more to come. They count as 'construction' right? And 2 billion dollars worth of it! (that includes all construction on the line, which benefits the ARL as well)
If Toronto wants to be world class, then they should have what most world class cities have - a direct transit link to the airport. It took the arrival of the Pan Am games to spur this development on, if anything I'm grateful to it for that.

Image courtesy of Toronto Star

Image courtesy of Transit Toronto

# 7. ICE (768ft & 663ft tall)
Toronto's version of Mississauga's Absolute Twin's. Minus the twist, but plus about 200ft in height (and probably better finishes). Toronto desperately needed something curvy (that's tall) and our prays have been answered with this project. Currently at ground level, its perhaps the most under appreciated project of its size going up right now. Make no mistake about it, these 2 will be the true 'pinnacle' of the waterfront.

Image courtesy of condosintoronto4u.ca

Image courtesy of Jasonzed on UT(Urban Toronto)

# 6. Union Station Upgrading, Refurbishment & Rebuild
The country's largest railway hub has long sat neglected. Finally much need work is underway to restore the train shed to its original glory. But more importantly a spectacular new glass atrium will be installed as well as a green roof. Also, the vital upgrading of the tracks and signals in the rail corridor is now underway to support future growth which is expected to double to 100,000,000 users by 2030. To help with the increased passenger growth a new passenger concourse will be built on the East side of the station as well as a second subway platform. And lastly, phew, an entire new floor is being built underneath the station to create a proper retail concourse (where I can finally buy a decent lunch if I happen to forget mine at home ).

Image courtesy of Halcrow

Image courtesy of The Grid TO

Image courtesy of hawc on UT

half way there...

# 5. Shangri-La (702ft)
Currently my favorite project that's actually visible in the skyline. This is Toronto's response to Vancouver's Shangri-La and West Pender Place, both lovey projects in their own right. As with another project further down on the list, I feel that the render understated this projects full quality, which is now being made abundantly clear.

Image courtesy of Atlantis on UT

Image courtesy of UT

# 4. The Eglinton Crosstown Subway
Yet another transit project and probably the most important one for the entire GTA. Decades in the making, the Eglinton Crosstown is finally on the way. A desperately needed and long over due addition to Toronto's (comparatively) pitiful subway system. At 8.2 Billion dollars, it is the single most expensive construction project in the country. Only problem is, it'll take about a decade to finish.

This is a map of the previous version of the project. The one major change is that it is entirely underground now.

Image courtesy of Top 100 Projects.ca

Image courtesy of Urban Toronto

# 3. L Tower (673ft tall)
The closest thing we have to a 'glass shard' going up. Construction has reached the 8th floor and test cladding is on site. Progress has been slow recently but its only going to get more exciting from here on out for Toronto's most dramatic 'out of the box' offering.
I had it number 2, but the test cladding was a slight disappointment(not that its bad, it just not quite as good as I was expecting). I was expecting Shangri-La type curtain-wall, which was unrealistic considering the price points. But overall still an amazing development.

Image courtesy of udo on UT

Image courtesy of drum on UT

# 2. One Bloor (780ft tall)
Probably the most hyped-up, anticipated and frustrating project in the entire country(for the numerous previous cancellations and long delays) is about to hit the launch button. Excavation has begin on the 780ft tall structure that will define the Yorkville skyline with its wave-like facade and is a very close second on my top 10.

Image courtesy of bloorcondos.com

Image courtesy of DC83 on UT

And that brings us too...

# 1. Aura (+864ft tall)
The building going up that will make perhaps the biggest single difference in any skyline in this country. (Though those twin towers purposed for Halifax would certainly give it a run for its money in that category). Nearly twice as tall as any building currently built within a kilometer and the true tallest building to go up in this boom(i.e. roof height is most legitimate!).

I don't think the renders do it any justice, its terms of showing the buildings massing. The floor model is better;

Love the curves, love the set backs, love the curtain wall glass. Its tall and huge (at 1.3 million sq/ft) yet somehow still looks slender. If I could love a Canadian building and it had to be only one, this is it. Hopefully she doesn't disappoint, I've got high expectations for her. Currently on level 4 of the massive podium;

Image courtesy of androiduk on UT

And that's my list.
Btw, the BOW and Absolute would of been on here except that they're no longer 'projects' and are basically complete. I would of had the BOW at around 2 or 3 and Absolute at maybe 9.

I hope other peoples lists have some transit projects as well. I know Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa all have major projects going on which are probably just as important to those cities as the ones in Toronto are to it.

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Apr 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM. Reason: mentioning L used to #2, Port Mann will be the 5th longest Span (not 6th)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
really? You always seemed to really like the Hotel Georgia tower in Vancouver, which is still officially u/c.
I think I will have to revise my list.

Trump out / Hotel Georgia in
L Tower out/ Eglinton Line in

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 11:09 AM

1. Aura (Toronto)
2. the Bow (calgary)
3. Bell centre proposal (Montreal)
4. Marriot (Montréal)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:09 PM

1. One Bloor (Toronto)
2. Aura (TO)
3. Shangri-La (TO)
4. Burrard Gateway (Vancouver)
5. Theatre Park (TO)
6. Manulife (Edmonton)
7. Waldorf-Astoria (Montreal)
8. Foster's West Donlands site (Toronto)
9. Ice Condos (TO)
10. Marriott (Montreal)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:06 PM
gettin' rich!

My List - No order

One Bloor
Aura
Shangrila - Toronto
Bow
Human Rights Museum
Aga Khan Museum
Eglinton Line
Four Seasons
Hotel Georgia
ICE 1 & 2

Honorable Mention

Manulife Tower 2 - in Edmonton.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Wow, I didn't even know about the Air Rail link until now. That's rather exciting.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:47 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Wow, I didn't even know about the Air Rail link until now. That's rather exciting.
Most definitely is. Its still about 4 years away from completion so it won't receive much attention until the 2015 Pan Am games. But that of course depends on them actually finishing it on time. Not sure if they can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I think I will have to revise my list.

Trump out / Hotel Georgia in
L Tower out/ Eglinton Line in
Nice to see the Eglinton Line getting 'sum respect.

On another note, I see some people including proposals. I were to do that, it would completely change my list... this calls for making another list!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:50 PM
gettin' rich!

I included Edmonton because it looks like it will go ahead in all probability

Things that are wishy washy I probably wouldn't include

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 8:26 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

10. New Airport Terminal, Winnipeg
9. Marriott, Montreal
8. Eglinton LRT, Toronto
7. Various Waterfront Toronto Developments, Toronto
6. Shangri-La, Toronto
5. Aura, Toronto
4. L Tower, Toronto
3. Port Mann Cable Stayed Bridge, Vancouver
2. Canadian Museum For Human Rights, Winnipeg
1. Windsor-Essex Parkway, Windsor

...Or something like that.

Absolute World, and The Bow are my favourite recently (or just about to be) completed projects!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
10. New Airport Terminal, Winnipeg
Ack. Is the upper level viewing deck going away? Winnipeg is one of the airports I always tried to get re-routed to in bad weather because I could get some sleep. Obviously I haven't been dumped there in a while since I was unaware of the new terminal project.

Montreal (Dorval) is the other thanks to a door on the chapel that closes and the lights being turned off in the area around it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:14 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Here is my 'proposal only' top 10. Then I'll combine the two lists.
(unless otherwise noted project are in Toronto)

# 10. Emerald Park, North York (462ft tall)
Probably the most likely project to fail to live up to its expectations. Much of that has to do with the developer and their previous history...But if developed as purposed it would be quite the unique and interesting development.

Images courtesy of Mongo on UT

# 9. Waldorf Astoria, Montreal
It may not be the tallest, but it is the best looking(imo) of the recent string of Montreal proposals.

Image courtesy of on MTLurb

# 8. Cumberland Terrace (535ft tall)
Perhaps Toronto's most forgotten proposal. But I sure haven't forgotten these cool towers. Bonus feature - not only will this development replace the pitiful Cumberland mall, but one of the buildings will largely replace the view of the ugly a$$ 2 Bloor West from the north.

This;

will be replaced by this...

Images courtesy of Marcanadian on SCC & Bloor-Yorkville.com

# 7. Moshe Safdie's Parkside condo
To compliment L here's another crystal-like gem from a highly respected Architect for the waterfront.

Images courtesy of Toronto Life

# 6. 1021 W Hastings, Vancouver (476 or 443ft tall)
A stunning office tower purposed for Vancouver. We could sure use some tips on how to build 400-500ft range office towers like this in Toronto. Would rank it higher had it been taller.

Image courtesy of Built Form on SSP

Image courtesy of Van City Buzz

# 5. Darlington Nuclear New Build, Darlington
Easily the most controversial project on my list, is the proposal to build (up to)4 new nuclear reactors at OPG's Darlington site. Its the single largest power plant proposal in Canada and would become one of the country's largest electric plants. Its 4800MW capacity would provide enough power for 2.5 to 3 million people or almost 10% of the country's population!

Nuclear power as we all know is highly controversial but I do believe there is a place for it, just not as ridiculous close as the Pickering Plant is to Toronto. Wind and solar power are doing well to slowly end Ontario's reliance on coal power plants. However it will not be enough to replace the 3000MW base load(which wind or solar power cannot provide) that Pickering provides when its shuts down in 2020. Conservation measures are helping but the province is growing which means we need something. The only options are Nuclear, with its minimal emissions. More LNG plants, which are subject to large price fluctuations and release large amounts of CO2 per kilowatt generated. Or coal power plants - which is a none starter since Ontario is trying to get rid of them to being with. Unfortunately Hydro is not an option since its capacity has been almost completely maxed out in Ontario.

Image courtesy of the Toronto Star

# 4. High Speed Rail Quebec-Windsor Corridor
The Quebec-Windsor Corridor is the most densely populated and heavily industrialized region of Canada with over 18 million people. It compares well against the population catchment for other HSR lines across the globe. Yet Canada remains the only G8 country without HSR. Another proposal is in the works, but despite being perhaps the single most important project on this list it is probably the one that will be developed last(possibly decades away...). Although I'm pretty confident that eventually it will get built. Also Edmonton – Calgary and Vancouver – Seattle merit mentioning as possible future HSR routes. Although they would seem to both be even further away from being built at this time.

Image courtesy of dunkalunk on .com

# 3. 40 Scott St. (640ft tall)
40 Scott's design shares some similarities the the currently u/c Trump Toronto. But I think the massing is much better here. A lot will depend on the quality of the finishes but it has a good chance of becoming Canada's best faux/neo-art deco landmark.

Image courtesy of UT

# 2. STIQ 45 Bay St. (804ft tall)
It would be the tallest office tower to go up in Canada Since Scotia plaza 20 years ago. Though not an extreme example of the form, it would still become the tallest example of deconstructivism architecture in the country. I'm all for it It was a borderline addition since it likely won't be built soon and the render may not even be the final design.

Image courtesy of who's ever photobucket account that is

# 1. Go Transit Electrification
My favorite proposed project because it would bring Canada's busiest commuter railway up to international standards. Eventually its going to become necessary as the regions roadways cannot possibly sustain the future planned growth, nor will the railways as they are now. Of course it helps that I'll be driving these babies when they come on line in the future.

Not the actual train, since we don't know how they will look like just yet, but an example;

Image courtesy of someone other than myself

The Ritz (Vancouver) would of been in the top 10 purposed (at #7) but there's just too much doubt about the towers status right now.

Image courtesy of MCMP Architects

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:49 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Ack. Is the upper level viewing deck going away? Winnipeg is one of the airports I always tried to get re-routed to in bad weather because I could get some sleep. Obviously I haven't been dumped there in a while since I was unaware of the new terminal project.
Well, all I know is that the old terminal is being replaced with the one under construction.

Here's some pictures.

http://www.chrisd.ca/blog/39216/winn...ng-october-30/

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/2...to-new-airport

And here's some renders of the Windsor-Essex Parkway. Provided, that the States and Canada can finally come together to build another bridge across the Detroit river, it will finally make the 401 a full freeway all the way to the states.

http://www.weparkway.ca/parkstills.html

http://www.weparkway.ca/parkstills.html

http://www.wepayitforward.ca/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:03 PM
Community Guy

L (Tor)
1021 (Van)
Manulife (Edm)
Museum of Human Rights (Winn)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada