HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Man, I really wish they'd do that along the Boise River. Get rid of those ugly trees that block my view of the foothills... at least paint them brown so they blend in.
Heh, you remember the real story of how an office along the Greenbelt near the Ram wanted to cut down trees so they could get what they perceived as a better view?

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 3:44 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
Heh, you remember the real story of how an office along the Greenbelt near the Ram wanted to cut down trees so they could get what they perceived as a better view?
Oh jeez, I remember that. Ugh, thank goodness that didn't happen... or did it? I can't recall the outcome.

Sawtooth's signature comes to mind when I think of that.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:26 PM

What appears to be parking garage excavation going on at the JUMP site this morning. Got a very blurry picture in traffic that probably isn't worth posting. Hope this is the start of sustained construction activity.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:09 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodo_business View Post
What appears to be parking garage excavation going on at the JUMP site this morning. Got a very blurry picture in traffic that probably isn't worth posting. Hope this is the start of sustained construction activity.

there's been some dirt-moving by heavy machinery this week, though you can't see much from the webcam:

http://www.dwpwebcams.com/jump/

it will be nice to see more construction taking place soon, though... same with the zion's tower lot that's been quiet for a couple of weeks now.

at least the whole foods is coming along nicely, as is the bronco stadium and dona larsen park construction.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
there's been some dirt-moving by heavy machinery this week
Yes, have seen it sitting there for a while. Big change for today was actual digging. They had a number of trucks lined up to haul away soil and debris and had at least one of the Hoe's digging.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:01 PM

The Hoe's are going deeper and deeper and the hole is expanding in all directions at the site. The other day the door to the old Emerald Club was open and it looked like they were doing demo work inside. Does it stay or does it go? I've heard both scenerios. That attorney building on the corner is going to look really out of place if they take down the rest of the buildings it is attached to. This is an exciting project and finally some heavy duty work is underway!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:20 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
The Hoe's are going deeper and deeper and the hole is expanding in all directions at the site. The other day the door to the old Emerald Club was open and it looked like they were doing demo work inside. Does it stay or does it go? I've heard both scenerios. That attorney building on the corner is going to look really out of place if they take down the rest of the buildings it is attached to. This is an exciting project and finally some heavy duty work is underway!

does anyone know what the new tower is on the corner of 9th and front next to the billboard?

it kind of looks like part of a construction crane, though there's no reason for one on that corner.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:22 PM
All man. Half nuts.

you can kind of see it in the webcam... right now it's in the shadow, but once the sun rises a bit you'll probably be able to get a better look:

http://www.dwpwebcams.com/jump/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:27 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
does anyone know what the new tower is on the corner of 9th and front next to the billboard?

it kind of looks like part of a construction crane, though there's no reason for one on that corner.
I haven't seen it in person to tell what it is for sure, but in the webcam photo, it looks like a pile-driver.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:09 PM
All man. Half nuts.

it's a pile driver.

i work downtown, and can hear it driving piles with a clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... (gonna be a long summer) clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang... clang...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:32 PM

well look on the bright side at least all that clanging will stop sooner or later. hopefully before you go crazy from it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:26 PM

I like this photo because it shows the size of the area being developed. This is going to be huge and all of the parkland to be incorporated in this project is really going to pop.

Source: http://www.idahoairships.com/wp-cont...phy-4_8_12.jpg

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I like this photo because it shows the size of the area being developed. This is going to be huge and all of the parkland to be incorporated in this project is really going to pop.

Source: http://www.idahoairships.com/wp-cont...phy-4_8_12.jpg

What's the deal with that law firm on the corner? I know they were trying to extort a high offer from the simplots... Are the Simplots calling their bluff by building around it?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 6:58 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
What's the deal with that law firm on the corner? I know they were trying to extort a high offer from the simplots... Are the Simplots calling their bluff by building around it?
Yep, too bad the City of Boise didn't have the cajones to take the Seiniger office by eminent domain and give it to the JUMP project. They probably could have won. See the Kelo Decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Yep, too bad the City of Boise didn't have the cajones to take the Seiniger office by eminent domain and give it to the JUMP project. They probably could have won. See the Kelo Decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London
I can't imagine they'll get a better offer than what they got from the Simplots... Because instead of being bought as part of this huge development, if it ever sells it will only sell as a tiny lot, unfit for a very large development and always in JUMP's shadow. Good for the Simplots to have just carried on without the land.

Any word though on how JUMP will be accessible by pedestrians? The lot is surrounded by high traffic corridors: Myrtle, Front and 9th. I would LOVE to see a pedestrian tunnel or bridge connecting JUMP with BoDo and the same connecting JUMP with the downtown core north of Front.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:

Any word though on how JUMP will be accessible by pedestrians? The lot is surrounded by high traffic corridors: Myrtle, Front and 9th. I would LOVE to see a pedestrian tunnel or bridge connecting JUMP with BoDo and the same connecting JUMP with the downtown core north of Front.
You and me both. That would be fantastic. Not that I particularly mind Jaywalking....But I love tunnels and pedestrian bridges.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBMW View Post
You and me both. That would be fantastic. Not that I particularly mind Jaywalking....But I love tunnels and pedestrian bridges.
What would be really great would be if they could drop Front street under 8th street to build a pedestrian corridor between BoDo and the grove. Can't imagine how that could be done though without closing Front entirely during the construction which would be out of the question.....

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
What would be really great would be if they could drop Front street under 8th street to build a pedestrian corridor between BoDo and the grove. Can't imagine how that could be done though without closing Front entirely during the construction which would be out of the question.....
Now we're talking. That would be ridiculously cool.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine they'll get a better offer than what they got from the Simplots... Because instead of being bought as part of this huge development, if it ever sells it will only sell as a tiny lot, unfit for a very large development and always in JUMP's shadow. Good for the Simplots to have just carried on without the land.

Just an idea, but possibly similar to the pedestrian lights ACHD has installed midblock on Capitol between Front and Myrtle for access to Bodo and midblock on Capitol between The Grove plaza and The Basque Block. I have heard that a few more of those types of lights are in store for other downtown blocks that are popular for jaywalking.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 12:48 AM

I'd guess that it would be very likely that a signal at 9th & Broad would be eventually built, once ACHD sees the increased non-motorized traffic to/from JUMP/8th St Marketplace.

About the earlier-mentioned tunnels/bridges, I just can't see ACHD willing to invest that much money in them. I will say this, however: if there was ever a place for one, it would be at the 11th/Myrtle intersection where the Pioneer path currently starts. When JUMP is completed that is going to be a six-way nightmare intersection. Ideally you'd want three separate cycles each for 11th, Myrtle & Pioneer, but that would start to back up traffic considerably on the inbound Connector. If you tunneled Pioneer under you could keep the synchronization as it is right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West