HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Timeline: Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 11, 2014, Last Updated: July 11, 2014 12:58 PM EDT

Workers finish up last minute touches as the long-awaited official opening of the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, connecting the communities
of Barrhaven and Riverside South over the Rideau River, is set to take place on Saturday.

Late 1990s: People keep proposing a bridge joining Strandherd Drive in Barrhaven with Armstrong Road in Riverside South, but there are no firm plans.

December 2001: Mayor Bob Chiarelli says the bridge could be built within four to seven years, or by late 2008.

May 2006: Ottawa plans 29.5-kilometre commuter-rail line from the University of Ottawa to Barrhaven, with a bridge joining Strandherd and Armstrong, to be completed by 2009 for $725 million. But the city killed the entire plan later the same year. New mayor Larry O’Brien was one of its opponents.

October 2006: Larry O’Brien elected mayor of Ottawa.

June 2009: National Capital Commission approves the design and proposed corridor for the bridge.

June 2010: Construction begins. The bridge is scheduled to open in 2012. Budget is $48 million for the bridge alone, or $105 million including the approaches. Coun. Steve Desroches remarks that the projects was “pulled from the ashes” after the city killed its north-south rail plan.

October 2010: Jim Watson elected mayor of Ottawa.

March 2012: The bridge’s contractor, ConCreate USL of Bolton, Ont., is in receivership, and the 2012 completion date is abandoned. The bridge is slightly more than half finished. City scrambles to find a replacement builder and says it will use its $23-million performance bond to finish the job as quickly as possible.

May 2012: With the bonding company running the job, unpaid subcontractors threaten to walk out. Eventually work resumes.

March 2013: Welding work that didn’t meet city specifications push the estimated time for completion of the bridge to late 2013. With arches delivered late, the city later revises this to September 2014. Delays are now blamed for adding $1.6 million in costs to Ottawa (not counting costs to the bonding company, some $22 million.) Desroches remarks: “I joke that I’m going to write my engineering exams after this, I’ve spent so much time with our engineers.”

July 2014: Bridge is finally complete after four years of construction.

tspears@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...mstrong-bridge

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 12:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge Ottawa's Eiffel Tower, Watson says at ribbon cutting

Meghan Hurley, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 12, 2014, Last Updated: July 12, 2014 5:23 PM EDT

Two years late, and at a cost of $48 million, the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge — or Ottawa’s Eiffel Tower, as Mayor Jim Watson called it Saturday — has finally been officially opened.

The mayor was joined by a large crowd that also included Barrhaven councillor Jan Harder and Riverside South councillor Steve Desroches at a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 1:15 p.m. on the eastern side of the structure that spans the Rideau River.

“It looks like our version of the Eiffel Tower right here in Riverside South. This is going to be a new landmark,” Watson said. “Forget the Sydney Opera House, forget the bridge in St. Louis. We’ve got the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.”

Watson’s statement was met with a round of applause from the hundreds of people who gathered for the bridge opening, which was a relief to Desroches. He now will no longer be the only city councillor who has to leave his ward to get from one end to the other.

“We can put construction behind us and begin to enjoy all the benefits this bridge has promised,” Desroches said.

Desroches said he’s going to find himself in an odd position now, since pushing for the bridge has been a major part of his work on behalf of his constituents since he was first elected in 2006.

Watson said Saturday he remembers the first phone call he received after he was sworn in as Ottawa West-Nepean MPP was from Desroches about the bridge.

“We had an expression in our office. The most frightening words we could hear: Steve Desroches on line one,” Watson joked. “He did his job, he fought hard and today we’re here to open this beautiful, beautiful bridge.”

Nearly two decades after it was first proposed, and two years after its expected completion day, the bridge will connect Barrhaven to Riverside South and Strandherd Drive to Earl Armstrong Road.

Watson had said late in June that only final tests and minor landscaping work were left to be done before the bridge could open.

The new bridge will be a third option to cross the Rideau River in the south end of the city and should improve traffic conditions on other bridges. The bridge has four lanes for regular traffic, two additional turning lanes and two lanes for public transit. It also features on-road bike lanes and sidewalks on both sides.

Desroches said he believes the new bridge will result in improved transit services, shorter commutes, reduced emergency response times and improved access to shopping and recreation.

Riverside South resident Rachelle Trudel said her commute to the RCMP building in Barrhaven will decrease from about 25 minutes to about seven, she guesses.

Before the bridge was opened, she had to drive through Manotick on the way to work and on Hunt Club Road on the way home.

“I literally did a circle,” she said.

Trudel believes Riverside South residents will benefit more from the new link because they will flood Barrhaven for shopping.

Despite the benefits for Trudel, she thinks the amount of time it took to build the bridge was too long.

“It’s the most magnificent bridge in Ottawa, clearly,” she said. “Why we needed this? I don’t know when we could have had a normal bridge and maybe gotten it sooner.”

Riverside South resident Derrek Konrad, a former member of Parliament for Prince Albert, Sask., agreed the bridge is impressive, but it took too long to build.

Konrad’s nine-year-old grandson, Theo, said his grandfather could have benefited form having the bridge completed sooner.

“What I’m kind of upset about is that my granddad is retired from Home Depot, and all the times he wished he could cross this bridge to get to where he worked on his business.”

Konrad said he has held several jobs since he was an MP, mostly recently at the Home Depot in Barrhaven.

Wayne Watson, a Barrhaven resident, said he’s worried the bridge will draw more commuters onto Prince of Wales Drive, which is already clogged by traffic during rush hour. He said the road needs to be widened in order to handle any increased traffic.

“It already takes almost an hour to get downtown,” he said. “That’s going to add to it.”

While some residents are concerned about more the bridge bringing more traffic into the area, Barrhaven resident Leigh Perreault said she believes it will actually make the drive out of her neighbourhood easier by channeling traffic to other roads.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-open-saturday

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 12:33 AM

I crossed the bridge earlier today and I thought it'd give me a faster route to T&T but it's not. You have to drive through River Road then Limebank Road which turns into Riverside Drive...I think doing Prince of Wales -> Hunt Club is actually faster.

Does anyone know if this will give us a faster route to the Airport? Right now I can do Prince of Wales -> Hunt Club -> Paul Benoit Drive (used to be Canadair) and can get to the Airport in 25 minutes, with no traffic, from Barrhaven.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 12:36 AM
Living With My Mother

Nice to see polievre stop by. And who is that chick in the LBD?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I crossed the bridge earlier today and I thought it'd give me a faster route to T&T but it's not. You have to drive through River Road then Limebank Road which turns into Riverside Drive...I think doing Prince of Wales -> Hunt Club is actually faster.

Does anyone know if this will give us a faster route to the Airport? Right now I can do Prince of Wales -> Hunt Club -> Paul Benoit Drive (used to be Canadair) and can get to the Airport in 25 minutes, with no traffic, from Barrhaven.
Faster TO the airport? Probably not. Unless Earl Armstrong/Limebank is faster than Prince of Wales. There is no way to get to the airport from the south directly, you must approach via Lester, Uplands or the Airport Parkway. Only a tunnel under the airport would allow a direct connection from the south...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Nice to see polievre stop by. And who is that chick in the LBD?
That's the PC Candidate for Nepean-Carleton (and potential PC Leader of Ontario): Lisa MacLeod.

On a side note, I love this:

Quote:
“It looks like our version of the Eiffel Tower right here in Riverside South. This is going to be a new landmark,” Watson said. “Forget the Sydney Opera House, forget the bridge in St. Louis. We’ve got the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.”
Yup, people are going to come from around the world to visit the "landmark" Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
That's the PC Candidate for Nepean-Carleton (and potential PC Leader of Ontario): Lisa MacLeod.

Yup, people are going to come from around the world to visit the "landmark" Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.
Don't like to judge a book by its cover but has she ballooned lately. I remember seeing her few years ago campaigning for the provincial election and she wasn't as big as now.

Yeah Jim Watson should lay off the pipe and ease up on the narratives. It's somewhat embarrassing to hear that

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 1:34 AM

Quote:

There are much bigger landmarks even in the City of Ottawa. Like Parliament...the Rideau Canal...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 1:38 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Shame about her politics.
Quote:
Don't like to judge a book by its cover but has she ballooned lately. I remember seeing her few years ago campaigning for the provincial election and she wasn't as big as now.
Looking good to me.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 5:15 AM

Transit service across the bridge is coming July 19, with routes 94 and 99 providing service between Barrhaven and Riverside South.

Route 94 is being extended to Riverview, while route 99 will be extended to Marketplace.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 12:55 PM

One of the posters who commented on the Ottawa Citizen story said it was John Baird who killed the first light-rail project by withholding federal funds. I didn't follow those stories 7, 8 years ago so I had no idea John also interfered in municipal politics. Can anyone confirm this is true? and if so, why did he have to do that?

Surprised to hear though as he has represented this area for a number of year and actually called for the VIA Rail CEO head a few months ago after the train level crossing fiasco in Barrhaven. You'd think he wants to see public transit in his neck o' the woods, no?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 1:13 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
One of the posters who commented on the Ottawa Citizen story said it was John Baird who killed the first light-rail project by withholding federal funds. I didn't follow those stories 7, 8 years ago so I had no idea John also interfered in municipal politics. Can anyone confirm this is true? and if so, why did he have to do that?

Surprised to hear though as he has represented this area for a number of year and actually called for the VIA Rail CEO head a few months ago after the train level crossing fiasco in Barrhaven. You'd think he wants to see public transit in his neck o' the woods, no?
The NS LRT contract was approved by Council June 2006 and the funds were to be released by October but during mayoral candidate Larry O'Brien wanted a review/value for money audit.... Baird then announced (just before the election) he would not release the funds until the new council voted on the plan. This was very unusual and it was speculated it was for partisan reasons. LRT and Chiarelli's credibility became an election issue (Chiarelli said the contract stated the funds needed to be provided in Oct, but the contract was under wraps)... eventually the new Council voted on a modified plan without the downtown option. When they released feds and province weren't keen on funding this without more detailed justification, the whole line was cancelled.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The NS LRT contract was approved by Council June 2006 and the funds were to be released by October but during mayoral candidate Larry O'Brien wanted a review/value for money audit.... Baird then announced (just before the election) he would not release the funds until the new council voted on the plan. This was very unusual and it was speculated it was for partisan reasons. LRT and Chiarelli's credibility became an election issue (Chiarelli said the contract stated the funds needed to be provided in Oct, but the contract was under wraps)... eventually the new Council voted on a modified plan without the downtown option. When they released feds and province weren't keen on funding this without more detailed justification, the whole line was cancelled.
Thanks for the background. What would John Baird gain by doing this?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 10:21 PM

Saw this http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...mstrong-bridge ridiculous article in the Citizen on my way home from work that discusses a potential name for the bridge. All the options (albeit the Citizen made them up and aren't official) are in my opinion, lousy, silly, and lame.
Citizen's options:
- Alabaster Arches
- Eiffel Tower Bridge
- Phoenix Bridge
- Pioneer Bridge
- Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge

This is just my opinion and my own thoughts, but if they really want to change the name so quickly, why not change it to reflect the bus tragedy that happened earlier this year. There would also be room for a plaque and statue (or similar) at the near by boardwalk along the river.
Not this name but something like: Route 76 Memorial Bridge. Or just Memorial Bridge.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the background. What would John Baird gain by doing this?
Take your pick:

1. He wanted to give the new council a chance to approve the project themselves (which is what he said)
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/ottawa/story/1.590384

2. Throwing a wrench into the process boosted chiarelli's opponents.

3. The project was quite unpopular in much of the city (which may be why Chiarelli finished 3rd with 15% of the vote) and Baird didn't want to associate himself with that particular political turd.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:53 PM

If they are going to name something in memory of the September tragedy, it should be near the crash. I'm thinking the Falowfield VIA Rail Station or if they build a new bus underpass, the Route 76 Memorial Underpass with a promise to actually which could include the forgotten definition of rapid transit: grade separated.

The bridge will probably be named for a politician no one knows or cares about. Maybe someone who didn't actually make a contribution to it, like Pierre Polièvre

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If they are going to name something in memory of the September tragedy, it should be near the crash. I'm thinking the Falowfield VIA Rail Station or if they build a new bus underpass, the Route 76 Memorial Underpass with a promise to actually which could include the forgotten definition of rapid transit: grade separated.

The bridge will probably be named for a politician no one knows or cares about. Maybe someone who didn't actually make a contribution to it, like Pierre Polièvre
I would boycott the bridge if they ever named it after Pierre Polievre.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 11:36 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
I'm no fan of his politics, but I've crossed paths with him two or three times and always came away impressed.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

South 'burbs hope Strandherd bridge is a savior

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 05:05 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 05:10 PM EDT

The hellish traffic on Hunt Club Rd. will be saved from gridlock thanks to the new Strandherd Armstrong Bridge.

Well, that has always been the hope. Suburban residents are crossing their fingers that the $48-million bridge will be their saviour.

It probably won’t be until September that the city gets a good idea how motorists are responding to the new bridge, once summer vacations are finished and roads are packed with cars.

Two of the busiest intersections in the city are at Hunt Club on both sides of the Rideau River. It’s probably by no coincidence the intersections at Riverside Dr. and Prince of Wales Dr. consistently show up in the list of top collision sites in the city.

For workers just looking to get to their suburban homes after a long day of work, the southbound commute can be terribly unpredictable.

Chris Hill works in the heart of downtown and the drive to his home in Riverside South is anywhere between 20 and 60 minutes.

“It all hinges on Hunt Club and to the extent it gets backed up,” Hill said Wednesday.

So far, there hasn’t been a major impact for north-south commuters since the bridge opened last weekend.

“What people are uncertain of if how this will make things better or worse from a north-south perspective,” said Hill, president of the Riverside South Community Association.

For example, southbound Barrhaven residents on Riverside Dr. could cross Hunt Club and continue to the bridge, rather than face bumper-to-bumper traffic over the Hunt Club bridge. Same goes for Riverside South residents trying to get home via Prince of Wales.

The problem is, no one knows what other motorists will do. Hill said it will be a “gamble” for residents.

“Psychologically, we’re all trying to struggle with the same types of things,” he said.

The city is monitoring traffic patterns and adjusting traffic signals based on public feedback and what staff observe on traffic cameras.

City traffic services manager Phil Landry said all travellers ­— motorists, pedestrians and cyclists — are making good use of the bridge so far.

“We anticipate that summer holiday traffic will return to normal volumes at the end of August and peak during the first week of September,” Landry said in an e-mail. “Up to that point, we expect that motorists will be testing different routes and traffic volumes will shift on the various corridors leading to the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.”

Twitter: @JonathanWilling

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/16/...ge-is-a-savior

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation