HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Very cool...I really enjoy LA history. My in laws grew up in Pasadena and talk about what it was like back in the street care era.
Starting at 15:26, you can see the building that AAA and David Barton occupied which Metro purchased and will soon be demolished for the purple line extension. Then at 15:45 you can see the Gateway West building which Westfield demolished a few years ago for the mall expansion (Gateway East still stands and is identical). The shot starting at 20:48 of Santa Monica Blvd with the old Red Car track is so damn cool... both Gateway buildings are visible in this one.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 6:21 PM
Ascension

Not long before I moved to Chicago, I had a job interview at Gateway West. It was maybe years ago and while the building was still in great shape, it was virtually empty. The office I went to was on the 10th floor and was the only occupied office on that floor. Still, Gateway West was a very nice building very much from it's time though.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:46 PM

Looks like the "One Beverly Hills" project has been resurrected from the dead for about the 10th time now-

Triple Five buying Wanda’s One Beverly Hills condo-hotel project

https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/09/1...beverly-hills/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Looks like the "One Beverly Hills" project has been resurrected from the dead for about the 10th time now-

Triple Five buying Wanda’s One Beverly Hills condo-hotel project

https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/09/1...beverly-hills/
The Canadians seem to have a good track record with getting projects built. As such, I think this is a positive step for this project.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:17 PM

El Centro at Hollywood / Argyle in Hollywood looks to be wrapping up:

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:32 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:14 PM

^^^

Worked at the Fonda box ofc years ago. Love the building. So it's nice to see a quality project, such as the current rendering depicts, moving forward. I was curious what the status for that prime lot was, since the area is a development hotbed. Lots of towers proposed for the hood.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 6:43 AM

This would be a great addition to Hollywood Blvd entering from the East.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 1:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

Hollywood Gower?

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
It is a nice design. And to think, it has been only ten years since the original proposal was quashed by The La Mirada Neighborhood Association. I honestly think that Silverstein only planned to "green-mail" the project and couldn't care less about what development was to be made. As it it now only a parking lot has been preserved, how lovely. It makes you wonder who or what was originally behind this travesty. Was it Silverstein alone? Or was he working with his gaggle of "friends" who are also out to enrich themselves. Or perhaps it was a wealthy homeowner or renter or others in the hills who resented the fact that "HIS/THEIR VIEW" would be despoiled by the project or he or she would then have to deal with a little more traffic. I can just imagine that it would really "piss me off" if it took a few more minutes to speed down the hill in my 1963 Karmann Ghia for my beer and booze run to the local liquor store on Franklin. And what about my Jumbo Jacks with cheese? And my seasoned curly fries? They will get cold by now. Have you ever eaten a cold greasy cheese burger and cold fries--yucky! (you can kind of tell that I knew a few people who lived in the hills at one time). What an incredible tribute to CEQA, our judicial system, our planners, directors and so on. And of course lets not forget that the city failed in some way to provide support for the project As far as Silverstein and his hacks are concerned they have gone on to profit handsomely from other projects (e.g. frivolous lawsuits). The Hanover Development Company (which refused to cave in to the "bullshit") is rightfully probably leery of doing any development in the city (or the state for that matter), and of course other developers are also. This all plays out to hurting the flow of development, the creation of affordable housing, and the image of a major world city that desperately needed to grow, renew, and expand its housing stock to accommodate a growing population. It's not good and something desperately needs to be done.

Last edited by Wilcal; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:45 AM

Amazon is taking 280K sq space expansion of Culver Studios. Netflix is taking a second tower in Hollywood, Fox (after the Disney acquisition), is moving the bulk of their broadcasting, news and sports operations from NYC to LA, and of course Disney will probably do the same with whatever they’ve acquired from Fox with plans for its own streaming network. All in all, it’s booming times for the LA entertainment industry after so many were predicting Hollywood’s demise from digital. Digital seems to be having the complete opposite effect, solidifying LA’s dominance of the industry.

All of this happening announced just days of each other
https://urbanize.la/post/work-begins...dios-expansion
https://urbanize.la/post/week-leases...ower-hollywood
https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/ne...es-1202972750/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Yea, social media and streaming has made LA more of entertainment capital than ever.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Amazon is taking 280K sq space expansion of Culver Studios. Netflix is taking a second tower in Hollywood, Fox (after the Disney acquisition), is moving the bulk of their broadcasting, news and sports operations from NYC to LA, and of course Disney will probably do the same with whatever they’ve acquired from Fox with plans for its own streaming network. All in all, it’s booming times for the LA entertainment industry after so many were predicting Hollywood’s demise from digital. Digital seems to be having the complete opposite effect, solidifying LA’s dominance of the industry.

All of this happening announced just days of each other
https://urbanize.la/post/work-begins...dios-expansion
https://urbanize.la/post/week-leases...ower-hollywood
https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/ne...es-1202972750/
Oh yes,
I so look forward to having Fox News and the influence of its corrupt and evil-mongering owner/family (e.g. Murdoch) actually having more of a presence in this city.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:14 PM
TrackMan

^

The optimist in me thinks that Fox News being in a solid Blue area, with a highly educated and balanced population might end up being a good thing for America. Whereas the local population will influence the Fox News talent and they’ll broadcast material that is also more balanced.

Or, their local investment should include really good makeup and locker rooms so they can put on and take off their costumes on property.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

The LA world of make-believe is much more appropriate for FoxNews than NYC anyways. Though if the wealth of rational thought in NYC didn't temper Fox's lunacy, you think LA will? Ha

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:56 PM
TrackMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The LA world of make-believe is much more appropriate for FoxNews than NYC anyways. Though if the wealth of rational thought in NYC didn't temper Fox's lunacy, you think LA will? Ha
I assumed Atlant. Shucks!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:23 AM

Fox News is remaining in NYC.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not that LA liberalism will have any influence on Fox news, but I think you discounting the insularity among the wealthy NY business elites that Trump sprouted from, and which Fox belongs to. The whole finance/business industry bro culture of Wall Street is pretty conservative.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackMan View Post
^

The optimist in me thinks that Fox News being in a solid Blue area, with a highly educated and balanced population might end up being a good thing for America. Whereas the local population will influence the Fox News talent and they’ll broadcast material that is also more balanced.

Or, their local investment should include really good makeup and locker rooms so they can put on and take off their costumes on property.
You forgot mirrors...mirrors, mirrors everywhere (even on the ceilings? Oh my!). Without them, the narcissists at FOX would fail to exist. You know...they would lose their one and only (sorry mom!) best admirer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:43 PM

The new 5 story tower at Hollywood Presbyterian MC apparently broke ground over the summer.

https://www.enr.com/blogs/12-califor...r-in-hollywood

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations