Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Transit Terminal Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
The first new building will start construction next year (classrooms/office space), followed by a residential building (about a yr later).
Any news on which sites?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Any news on which sites?
If he is talking about Schuylkill Yards, it is likely two of the JFK buildings.

The first building to take off in the 30th Street plan will likely be the Cira II site.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:05 PM

Skyscraper Center database has TTT starting in 2025, is that confirmed or just an estimate
Cause the sooner, the better

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/buil...al-tower/26937

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Skyscraper Center database has TTT starting in 2025, is that confirmed or just an estimate

No, according to the plan, that tower isn't scheduled to be constructed until closer to the final phases. More like 2040-2045.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:27 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
No, according to the plan, that tower isn't scheduled to be constructed until closer to the final phases. More like 2040-2045.
Wow, like many of us will be around to write about it. No one that's sane plans plans their death, but these kinds of projections are really silly, suffice to say.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Wow, like many of us will be around to write about it. No one that's sane plans plans their death, but these kinds of projections are really silly, suffice to say.
I doubt it'll be that late. SOM is known for starting projects early and good completion times

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
I doubt it'll be that late. SOM is known for starting projects early and good completion times
One can hope.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
You can't just "start early." A thousand other things have to happen first before this tower is built. I recommend reading the final plan report if you haven't already: http://www.phillydistrict30.com/project-documents/

Here's the projected timeline:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:

I was the one who uploaded that entry to SSC for TTT, along with 3101 Market, 2100 Market Street, and 1911 Walnut Street... I went with the best info at the time, Although i need to request updating as some of the information has been updated since then. 2025 not happening...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:20 PM

Yep, the Transit Terminal Tower won't happen for a while. I wouldn't hold my breath. They are basically waiting for all of Schuylkill Yards to build out first, which will be 15 or so years. The only thing we can count on right now is the "Cira II" plot at 30th and JFK. That is the first site to see development and an RFP was issued by Amtrak at the end of last year.

The first phase of capping and development over the rail yards will start between 2020 and 2025. Transit Terminal Tower isn't until the 5th phase.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:27 PM
Philly Pholly

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=219014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenSalsa View Post
I'm probably going to sound stupid, but are there any renderings of Cira II?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:45 PM

Is the Transit terminal tower associated with the intermodal bus terminal to replace the Megabus street side pickup on JFK?

Does that bus terminal include relocating Greyhound to the 30th St. area? After realizing how close the Filbert Greyhound station is to the East Market development, it would be huge if a single bus terminal was developed and the Filbert st. terminal space came up for development.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Is the Transit terminal tower associated with the intermodal bus terminal to replace the Megabus street side pickup on JFK?

Does that bus terminal include relocating Greyhound to the 30th St. area? After realizing how close the Filbert Greyhound station is to the East Market development, it would be huge if a single bus terminal was developed and the Filbert st. terminal space came up for development.
Yes. The Greyhound Bus Terminal will be moved to this district. That would, of course, indeed bring a great deal of potential for the existing site near Reading Terminal Market. And as East Market continues to grow, that could be very big indeed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know it's not good that the Transit Terminal Tower itself is so far away, but at the same time, those changes are ones that need to be made to the area. I'm really looking forward to the plaza upgrades at 30th Street Station, and the connector between the Market Frankford Line and the station itself.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post

The intercity bus terminal will happen before Transit Terminal Tower. If you look at the timeline posted above, it has the bus terminal happening in or before the year 2025. At this time, Greyhound would be relocated there which would open up their current digs for redevelopment in Market East/Chinatown.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 11:54 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Even if that was actually a reasonable time frame (I'm not saying you came up with it) there's no way the plan will remain intact by the time they get around to actually building it (if they even bother by then)

Either the market conditions facilitate construction at some point in the near future or they don't. There's no way anybody plans that far ahead for building construction.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Even if that was actually a reasonable time frame (I'm not saying you came up with it) there's no way the plan will remain intact by the time they get around to actually building it (if they even bother by then)

Either the market conditions facilitate construction at some point in the near future or they don't. There's no way anybody plans that far ahead for building construction.
This is an important, perhaps the most important point for all to understand regarding the timing of Schuylkill Yards and the implementation of the 30th Street Station master plan. Ultimately, it will all be determined by market demand and nothing else. Drexel will seed an initial building or renovation with some classroom space but from there forward it will be the market. A developer has not even been selected for either the Cira 2 site nor the Amtrak rail yards. There is no design yet for any building, other than a master plan vision. Initial development on the land controlled by Amtrak will likely start with the corner of 30th Street and JFK (aka Cira 2). Probably, under the best of circumstances, a 2019 start. I would assume a mixed use tower because there is not sufficient demand for all 900,000 sf to be office. This will also be the most expense tower built in the city due to the site characteristics, so it will have to be a tenant or user willing to pay a top rent.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 10:43 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Yes. The Greyhound Bus Terminal will be moved to this district. That would, of course, indeed bring a great deal of potential for the existing site near Reading Terminal Market. And as East Market continues to grow, that could be very big indeed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know it's not good that the Transit Terminal Tower itself is so far away, but at the same time, those changes are ones that need to be made to the area. I'm really looking forward to the plaza upgrades at 30th Street Station, and the connector between the Market Frankford Line and the station itself.
At the time this plan was written, the bus facility did not contemplate relocating Greyhound facilities to 30th Street Station. The intercity bus facility was planned for regional operators (Mega, Bolt, Peter Pan, etc) plus some capacity for Amtrak Thruway buses.

This may have changed since then, but I doubt it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 10:47 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Well, that's a nice sentiment. But remember that this is a master plan - aside from One Drexel Plaza and some station improvements, there is no actual architectural project at the moment.

Although if you are a client looking for an architect, I'm sure SOM would be interested

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 11:10 PM

Well time to close this thread for 15 years or so...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso975 View Post
This is an important, perhaps the most important point for all to understand regarding the timing of Schuylkill Yards and the implementation of the 30th Street Station master plan. Ultimately, it will all be determined by market demand and nothing else. Drexel will seed an initial building or renovation with some classroom space but from there forward it will be the market. A developer has not even been selected for either the Cira 2 site nor the Amtrak rail yards. There is no design yet for any building, other than a master plan vision. Initial development on the land controlled by Amtrak will likely start with the corner of 30th Street and JFK (aka Cira 2). Probably, under the best of circumstances, a 2019 start. I would assume a mixed use tower because there is not sufficient demand for all 900,000 sf to be office. This will also be the most expense tower built in the city due to the site characteristics, so it will have to be a tenant or user willing to pay a top rent.
I think that what you and the prior post, #117, are saying is probably true. But that begs the question of why would Amtrak and others go through the exercise of a master plan when very little if anything is actually planned? Its not like the plan came up with any radical ideas, like moving the exits ramps from I-76 or putting the suburban train lines under ground (both should have been considered), that would need long term planning to see them through.

And like you mentioned the Cira 2 site that is suggested would be built over existing tracks making its construction highly expensive and very doubtful, as long as there is other less complicated sites in the area to build on.

As much as I enjoy the prospect of what the master plan presents and the drawings/dreams that were released, in a nut shell it basically is saying the obvious---when market conditions call for it, the first buildings will be built on land not presently used for tracks, and then after that land is used up somebody could build over the tracks. What might actually get built is so far out in the future just about anything could have been proposed.

If another plan came out of the blue---the 76'ers wanting to build their own, basketball only dream arena over the tracks, or Google wanting to build an east coast campus----I'm quite sure Amtrak would be thrilled to sell them or anybody else, the air rights.

My prediction is that sometime in the next 5+ years SEPTA will work with others on rebuilding the underground connection to the station and that as construction starts up along JFK Blvd. that maybe there will be a push to move the buses to a built space somewhere around the station. Other then that I believe that this plan will just join the other past plans collecting dust. Whatever the market needs are, the plans Drexel has in its Schuylkill Yards concept will be able to handle them for a very long time. And its not like center city is full!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals