HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:53 PM

QVC, Home Shopping Network to merge in $2B deal

Read more here: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170706.html

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:56 PM

Altria to shutter Montgomery County cigar plant

Quote:
Altria Group Inc. plans to shutter the Limerick operations of John Middleton Co., a manufacturer of pipe tobacco and cigars, in a move that will affect 78 employees.

John Middleton maintains a factory at 475 N. Lewis Road and the layoffs will take place between September 1 and September 15, according to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification, or WARN, the company filed with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor.
Read more here: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...t-layoffs.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:19 PM

Three Tower Bridge in Conshohocken sells for $15.5M

Quote:
A McLean, Va.-based real estate investment trust has acquired the 60,000-square-foot Three Tower Bridge office building in Conshohocken for $15.5 million, according to real estate services firm CBRE, which helped broker the deal.

Gladstone Commercial Corp. purchased the building at 2 Ash St. from an affiliate of Conshohocken-based Oliver Tyrone Pulver Corp., the building’s original developer, CBRE said in a release Friday.
I hope this means there is forward progress at at 1301 Market. This is the developer that's proposing to build there. Hopefully this is a sign that they are about to reinvest that money into the new tower.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170707.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 1:37 AM
Me?!?

Fort Washington Village District Planning

Upper Dublin Township has completed a community visioning planning process for the Fort Washington Village District Overlay area to promote a more vibrant and walkable village environment while protecting the character of the surrounding neighborhoods. The Township hired Town Planning Partnership, planners from Doylestown and Glackin Thomas Panzak, landscape architects and planners from Paoli to facilitate this three-month planning effort.
https://www.upperdublin.net/fort-was...rict-planning/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 3:04 PM

Carl Icahn to reopen Atlantic City's Chelsea Hotel this year, link it to Tropicana

Read more here: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...tropicana.html

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:16 PM

While not metro area per se, Pennsylvania has had the best all around improvement for business friendly states in 2017 as ranked by CNBC.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/11/washi...s-in-2017.html

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"Pennsylvania, which moves into the top half at No. 23, posts the best all-around improvement. The Keystone State moves higher in five categories: Workforce (up 8 spots to No. 21), Economy (up 8 spots to No. 34), Education (up 11 spots to No. 10), Business Friendliness (up 7 spots to No. 28) and Access to Capital (up 7 spots to No. 5). It is the state's best overall ranking in six years."

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 6:27 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
While not metro area per se, Pennsylvania has had the best all around improvement for business friendly states in 2017 as ranked by CNBC.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/11/washi...s-in-2017.html

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"Pennsylvania, which moves into the top half at No. 23, posts the best all-around improvement. The Keystone State moves higher in five categories: Workforce (up 8 spots to No. 21), Economy (up 8 spots to No. 34), Education (up 11 spots to No. 10), Business Friendliness (up 7 spots to No. 28) and Access to Capital (up 7 spots to No. 5). It is the state's best overall ranking in six years."
Good news but enough to reverse the population loss? Time will tell I suppose.

Pennsylvania is shrinking. And Philly's not growing much
Updated: JULY 8, 2017 — 5:53 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-20170707.html

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 11:21 PM

Land acquisition in Royersford’s former industrial district first step in revitalization project

Quote:
ROYERSFORD >> The Riverfront at Royersford LLC recently acquired a six-acre section of land in the former industrial district of Royersford, intersecting 1st Avenue and Main Street, on the Schuylkill River. The acquisition is the latest step in ongoing efforts to revitalize the former industrial district along the borough’s waterfront.

“Royersford already has so much to offer and it is our intent to expand business and recreation along the riverfront,” said Richard Lewis, president of The Lewis Group, in a press release. The Lewis Group owns Riverfront at Royersford.
From: http://www.timesherald.com/article/J...NESS/170719992

I can't think of any reason to believe that Royersford, over the long run, wouldn't revitalize in the same way as other towns in the area, like Phoenixville, and Collegeville. There are plenty of growth-driving jobs being added reasonably close by in KOP, Collegeville, Great Valley. This property is right on the Schuylkill River Trail, and immediately adjacent to a train station waiting for a train. If we ever expand SEPTA out to Reading (which I tend to believe will happen eventually), any development here will be a huge success.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 12:00 AM
build awesome buildings

^i'm always shocked by how underutilized the Schuylkill River is in terms of riverfront development. here's hoping to success here.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
^i'm always shocked by how underutilized the Schuylkill River is in terms of riverfront development. here's hoping to success here.
It's always good to have room to grow though!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
This property is right on the Schuylkill River Trail, and immediately adjacent to a train station waiting for a train. If we ever expand SEPTA out to Reading (which I tend to believe will happen eventually), any development here will be a huge success.
This part really frustrates me. At least get Septa out to Phoenixville and Royersford.

Septa has a direct connection in Norristown to the adjacent Norfolk Southern line. The line is double tracked in most places (save for the tunnel in Phoenixville) and a roadbed that previously accommodated 3-4 tracks in some areas back in the Reading days. Yet the line currently only handles about 10 trains a day.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 11:59 AM

I think flooding concerns might prohibit development on certain parts of the Schuylkill. I'm in Audubon at the Lofts of Valley Forge, and the first floor is a garage, which I'm pretty sure is more of a flooding precaution rather than a luxury amenity.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:40 PM

Wilmington: Mid-Town Park

500-space underground garage looks to be mostly complete. First apartment structure on south side of parcel nearing top-out. Starting on the second residential structure, north side of parcel. From earlier today 7/13:

Previous update from 6/22:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1655

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
As much as I really like this project, I really wish that a taller building could be involved. Even if it was only 300ft. it would at least be something new to add to the skyline. But then again, Wilmington is not New York or Philadelphia. I just am really hoping for a skyscraper in the near future. It also upsets me that people on the Comcast fourm complain that the tower should be taller. I do see their side, but they should be happy that at least Philly is booming with development like this unlike Wilmington.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
As much as I really like this project, I really wish that a taller building could be involved. Even if it was only 300ft. it would at least be something new to add to the skyline. But then again, Wilmington is not New York or Philadelphia. I just am really hoping for a skyscraper in the near future. It also upsets me that people on the Comcast fourm complain that the tower should be taller. I do see their side, but they should be happy that at least Philly is booming with development like this unlike Wilmington.
Wilmington is booming with development the likes of which it's not seen in decades. Great to see. Yes, a real tower would be nice. But it's as unrealistic to compare Wilmington to Philly as it is to compare Philly to New York. Just completely different ballgames in all cases.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:45 PM
facebook.com/PhillyPholly

This project has a good density and will have a huge impact on the area. Has some interesting angles.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:04 PM

From: http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/mai...635460db0.html

LM Riverside Hotels Plan Moves Forward

Quote:
The revamping of Lower Merion’s last major industrial center passed a couple of hurdles this week as two township boards recommended approval of a plan to construct two hotels and other amenities on a portion of the former Pencoyd Iron Works site in Bala Cynwyd.

The plan would also give the public access to a public gathering space that will be called Pencoyd Square as well as a cafe and trail that officials hope one day will reach to the Falls Bridge in Philadelphia.

The site is to be developed by Penn Real Estate Group with a plan is to construct one hotel with 124 rooms and the second one with 138 rooms. The site is located between the new Royal Athena apartments and the Aquatic Fitness Center at the foot of Righters Ferry Road.

I like this plan a lot. Manyunk/Bala Cynwyd shouldn't have any problem filling hotel rooms. It will be great to have some additional density on this side of the river.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:29 PM

Question: Does anyone know what's going on at the Wilmington Hospital site?

Over the course of a week, they've cleared a portion of the parking lot next to the parking garage cornering 12th & Washington, drove by today, and now there's a tower crane on site...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 10:23 PM

This is an great article highlighting the design of an office building in Malvern. Naturally most of us prefer development in the city, but strong suburbs are still a plus for us. Even better since it's an international corp.

How the World's Largest Building Materials Manufacturer Used Its Own Products to Create a World-Class Headquarters for Its Employees

Quote:
Saint-Gobain’s new corporate headquarters campus in Malvern, PA—the North American home to the world’s largest building materials company—is not a typical corporate campus. As the company approached its 350th anniversary, they set out to build a headquarters that would offer a dynamic showcase for its products.

The company assembled a team of designers from two firms—Bernardon and Jacobs—to transform a long-dormant site consisting of two office buildings into an integrated, world-class headquarters located in the suburbs of Philadelphia.
Full article: http://www.archdaily.com/875785/how-...-its-employees

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:04 PM

More citified 'Main Streets' coming to a suburb near you

Read more here: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...-20170717.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations