HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:10 PM

I am tempted to fly to Chongqing this august as it only costs $730 per person!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Did they ever run the A310s from Edmonton?
Transat? Winter 15/16 the 310 ran the entire operation, aside from a few 330 near the end of the season in March/April.

It broke quite often.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:50 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:57 PM

They can also use them for Liberia or Panama as those are a stretch for a 738

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:11 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I assume the A321LRs will be ETOPS certified for Trans-Atlantic.
Most definitely. At least 120 mins if you want to cross the Atlantic, and at least 180 for Hawaii.

Quote:
The concern was that YEG would miss out on some summer europe charters.
Anyway, similar to the A310s, the vast majority of these birds will be based in YUL and YYZ. I don't think the A321LR changes anything with regards to YEG-Europe.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:26 PM

If you are looking at Europe summer charters than you need to go after niche players. I'm not sure anyone large will look at YEG anymore although i consider Norwegian to be a player that will keep on growing.

I keep on harping on trying to get YEG-WAW back on LO but i'm not sure if it is a dead horse. I don't know if flyeia has ever commented on this as i understand it is route development but i would be curious to know if this is a pipe dream or has YEG even approached LO in the last couple of years. The people in charge at LO have changed over the last couple of years so maybe it is time to make a call again if it hasn't happened already. LO this week has received its 8th Boeing 788 and are due for three 789's in 2018/2019. In the last week, LO has announced basing a 788 at BUD for BUD-JFK and BUD-ORD flights. I have also read comments that the WAW-LAX flights are difficult to schedule daily because of the distance. Perhaps alternating WAW-LAX and WAW-YEG flights could be a solution. LO would have a base here albeit a VFR base but a base nonetheless. WAW is actually a decent mid sized hub and transferring there is quite painless.

Can anyone pony up their two cents on a YEG-DUB route on EI. Can the 321LR make it there? Is there an Irish base here in Edmonton that could help that route? I don't know much about DUB besides the fact that Ryanair is there which is a game changer. I guess this would be direct competition to Icelandair but i don't know of any other possibilities.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
If you are looking at Europe summer charters than you need to go after niche players. I'm not sure anyone large will look at YEG anymore although i consider Norwegian to be a player that will keep on growing.

I keep on harping on trying to get YEG-WAW back on LO but i'm not sure if it is a dead horse. I don't know if flyeia has ever commented on this as i understand it is route development but i would be curious to know if this is a pipe dream or has YEG even approached LO in the last couple of years. The people in charge at LO have changed over the last couple of years so maybe it is time to make a call again if it hasn't happened already. LO this week has received its 8th Boeing 788 and are due for three 789's in 2018/2019. In the last week, LO has announced basing a 788 at BUD for BUD-JFK and BUD-ORD flights. I have also read comments that the WAW-LAX flights are difficult to schedule daily because of the distance. Perhaps alternating WAW-LAX and WAW-YEG flights could be a solution. LO would have a base here albeit a VFR base but a base nonetheless. WAW is actually a decent mid sized hub and transferring there is quite painless.

Can anyone pony up their two cents on a YEG-DUB route on EI. Can the 321LR make it there? Is there an Irish base here in Edmonton that could help that route? I don't know much about DUB besides the fact that Ryanair is there which is a game changer. I guess this would be direct competition to Icelandair but i don't know of any other possibilities.
DUB-YEG is about 6400 km. The A321neoLR supposedly will do 7400 km. Keep in mind that there has be adequate fuel for a diversion, a hold at an arriving airport and to overcome headwinds on the westbound journey.

I'd say the realistic limit for the A321LR is about 6000 km, unless you're getting into load restricted flights. Removing seats causes the profitability to tank (especially for low-cost airlines) unless you charge a premium. An aircraft that is running at the extreme edge of its range isn't optimal for profitability as it burns lots of fuel just to keep tons of fuel aloft.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:

If EIA is not looking at LOT again they should. I am sure there would be interest maybe as a split route like your suggesting. I am hoping route development has a lot of go getters and not someone that waits for things to fall in their laps.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
There are some strategic headwinds for YEG-DUB on EI.
(1) EI is now part of IAG group. while not part of Oneworld just yet. I don't think its possible for EI to go against Oneworld aspirations. The importance of the Oneworld link is through the desire for eastcoast USA to DUB as a strategic goal. EI gets help from AA, BA, and IB if they chose East Coast USA.
(2) BA and WS had a good falling out late last year. While not YEG specific, dont look to EI getting in bed with WS based upon the reaction from IAG unit BA.
(3) EI got the blessing of their board for 321LRs based on an Eastcoast USA to DUB strategy. To unexpectedly toss out the approved strategy with something else (eg. take a flyer on W Cda) would be very risky for the careers of EI execs.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:44 PM

Given that LOT has only eight jets with enough range, not aLOT likely anything other than YYZ is on its map.

Especially given that it's a STAR Alliance member.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Given that LOT has only eight jets with enough range, not aLOT likely anything other than YYZ is on its map.

Especially given that it's a STAR Alliance member.
Well there were rumors of a WAW-YUL route. Maybe noflyzone has some insight. Bottom line is LO and the Star Alliance are like oil and water. With AC/LH/UA joint ventures, any other Star Alliance member flying within this triangle has no hope. Reading other threads it seems like UA doesn't codeshare much with LO. AC does on paper but in reality only for the AC domestic benefit. Case in point, look up a YEG-WAW connection on AC.com. You will find flights via AC hubs and Germany for $1,500 or you can go via YYZ on LO for $4,500. Gee i wonder which price point a traveler will choose. Funny thing is that if you go on Lot.com, the YEG-WAW connection is also expensive, not $4,500 but not $1,500 either. The best option of using LO via YYZ is with Aeroplan as the return ticket doesn't carry the Air Canada surcharge so a return ticket is 75,000 miles + $120 in total.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well there were rumors of a WAW-YUL route. Maybe noflyzone has some insight.
Started as a rumor, stayed that way.

LO decided to use their dreamliners elsewhere. NRT, ICN, LAX, EWR, etc.

With only 4 B789 on order (deliveries start March 2018), i doubt we will see additional WAW-Canada service.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:37 PM

I think there is potential for LO to add flights to BKK (apart from their seasonal charters), India and China.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Airport Support
When asked about Aurora’s partnership with Edmonton International Airport, Battley said that the airport has been very supportive, and that they understand Aurora’s business strategy.

“Aurora currently has the most well-developed e-commerce strategy in the commerce sector,” Battley said. “We’re the only company with a mobile app for Android and Apple for the purchase of legal cannabis, and in addition to that, we have same-day delivery in two large metropolitan centers and Edmonton.”

Battley said the mobile app and delivery service have been extremely popular, and having Aurora Sky positioned at Edmonton International Airport will give the company the opportunity to expand both same- and next-day delivery strategies across the country and internationally. Battley said being located at the airport also gives Aurora access to outstanding utilities and security.

Aurora Sky’s official groundbreaking ceremony last month drew between 100-150 attendees, including the mayor of Leduc County, the mayor of the city of Leduc and the Alberta Minister of Municipal affairs.

“There’s just a tremendous amount of excitement and support at every level in Alberta,” Battley said. “Everybody sees the economic development potential here.”
http://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com...onton-airport/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:10 PM

Heads up to any YEG spotter, AC 789 on its way from YUL as AC333.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:56 PM

^Is there a special occasion? Or did YUL run out of aircraft based on the 3 hour delay.

Hopefully someone can get some nice pics. flyeia maybe you can post some nice pics somewhere.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
^Is there a special occasion? Or did YUL run out of aircraft based on the 3 hour delay.

Hopefully someone can get some nice pics. flyeia maybe you can post some nice pics somewhere.
AC331 cancelled due to mechanical so they put everyone on AC333 and upgauged it to a 789.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:39 PM
Sand kicking airport guy.

There's a site on Facebook for photos from YEG.

"YEG Edmonton airport spotters" or something like that. I'm sure they'll have it covered but the 787's have subbed on a few routes a few times so the excitement may not be that big a deal to the spotters.

Also see Frontier is giving YYC another shot from DEN.

CUN-MEX-YYC-YEG-YYZ-MEX-CUN

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffyy View Post
There's a site on Facebook for photos from YEG.

"YEG Edmonton airport spotters" or something like that. I'm sure they'll have it covered but the 787's have subbed on a few routes a few times so the excitement may not be that big a deal to the spotters.

Also see Frontier is giving YYC another shot from DEN.
This is a good website as well. https://www.flickr.com/groups/yeg-edmonton/pool/

I used to go out to catch some shots but i find it more and more difficult to do and it seems there are people with better skills than me that post great pictures. I will try to post some archive video of flights at YEG once i figure out YouTube lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton