HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 6:35 PM
Berklon's Avatar
Berklon Berklon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamilton (The Brooklyn of Canada)
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
OOOOOh check out the big brain on Berklon, my comments were in reference to Vids statement on why people who hate Tim Hortons keep buying their products, if you happen to like their coffee well that's your problem, but if you hate the stuff don't keep buying then complain
OK, you hate Tim Hortons coffee. So you're in this thread posting because... ???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 6:55 PM
new age new age is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 76
I'd Roll Up The Rim but the only thing I have ever know any one to win at Tim Hortons is a cup of burnt weak coffee.

The Nationalist Add thing makes me sick! Let some other Nation wake up with a cup of crap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 8:43 PM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Surrey
Posts: 3,101
They say the odds are 1 in 6 this year but I have gotten seven so far and all I have got is the please pay again rims.
So I'm 0 for 7.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 9:24 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Because it's 2015.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 37,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
OK, you hate Tim Hortons coffee. So you're in this thread posting because... ???
This is a public forum that invites the opinions of its readers on a variety of topics... ???

You have to admit, with a title like "RRRRRRROOOOOLLLLL up the RIM to lose" this was a discussion aimed at antagonizing Tim Hortons from the start.
__________________
Toronto & HamiltonThunder Bayother photos | my geofiction | random things | skyscraper diagrams
It's not about what you don't have—it's the little you're given, and how far you can run with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 9:29 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,245
I'm 2 in 7 so far. Got Second Cup today instead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 2:09 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 29,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There should be a balance on the receipt. People who go to Tims all the time will buy probably them. I've sold gift cards to other places (Gap, Superstore, etc) before. There is a market, just ask around.



If you're voicing complains as often as your are, you should not be a customer.

There are other places to get coffee. If there are alternatives to Tim Hortons in Thunder Bay of all places, there must be alternatives to Tim Hortons in London, a city 4 times the size. You're at a fucking university, there should be at least one independent place to get coffee.
Vid, wtf???? You really don't know me and my mornings. Do you have two children to drop off at school AND daycare? Do you have a spouse to drop off at work? Do you understand the layout of my campus? Do you even have a job? Do you even understand the concept of being very busy?

I don't have the fucking (to use your terminology) luxury of time in the morning to walk across campus for brew that is not even real starfucks (sitting in the urns for hours at a time, it does not taste the same as real starfucks.

I don't live in your world where all customers must be either completely satisfied (or they have to just shut the hell up), or they should walk. Why don't you take a break from being a monday-morning quarterback , and go get some real life experience before offering your unsolicited advice.
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 3:42 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 29,602
2/18. Won another coffee.
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 3:47 PM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I don't have the fucking (to use your terminology) luxury of time in the morning to walk across campus for brew that is not even real starfucks (sitting in the urns for hours at a time, it does not taste the same as real starfucks.
Ugh...I remember that from my UWO days. Do you ever buy coffee at The Spoke? Sure beats the massive lineup at the UCC Tim Hortons, and the quality is much better than the fake Starbucks in the library.

There are three Tim Hortons at Fanshawe College, one of which closes at 2pm daily and one of which closes at 4pm. Right now the lineups are MASSIVE. I haven't been buying campus Tim Hortons coffee since RRRRROLL up the Rim started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 4:02 PM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There are other places to get coffee. If there are alternatives to Tim Hortons in Thunder Bay of all places, there must be alternatives to Tim Hortons in London, a city 4 times the size. You're at a fucking university, there should be at least one independent place to get coffee.
UWO and London are heavily dominated by Tim Hortons, in fact when I still worked there were about 18 on campus. I don't know where on campus ME works but the Social Science Centre/University Community Centre complex alone has three. I have heard London has more Tim Hortons per capita than anywhere else in Ontario, and possibly all of Canada.

UWO itself has a couple kiosks selling Starbucks coffee, but they serve the coffee out of huge vats and it is not uncommon for the coffee to be hours old. There is also the cafe area of The Spoke, but I always found its sanitary standards to be extremely low. (Ever had an employee sneeze on their hands, wipe their nose, and then proceed to touch your food?)

Tim Hortons has very limited competition in London. Country Style has all but disappeared, and Robin's Donuts fell like dominoes as Tim Hortons opened near them. Angelo's was one of the few local chains but it went bankrupt in the fall. There are two remaining local chains, The Little Red Roaster and Sebastian's, but they are both overpriced.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 4:04 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 29,602
^in fact, I do go to the spoke for coffee, however, although the lineups there are much shorter, the wait time is about the same due to less standardization. And the lousy plastic cup tops taste like tire rubber.

Manny is right on the money with respect to the competitive structure of coffeeshops here in London (much better choice can be had downtown, but only downtown)
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 10:00 PM
new age new age is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 76
In London there are 11 Starbucks 7 Red Roasters 3 Williams 2 Coffee Cultures and countless Independent coffee shops. There are lots to choose from. I would love to see Tim bits wiped from the face of the earth but I will not force my will on others. A better verity to choose from would benefit all consumers though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:34 AM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by new age View Post
In London there are 11 Starbucks 7 Red Roasters 3 Williams 2 Coffee Cultures and countless Independent coffee shops. There are lots to choose from. I would love to see Tim bits wiped from the face of the earth but I will not force my will on others. A better verity to choose from would benefit all consumers though.
I'm just trying to cut ME some slack here...based on the area he has indicated he lives, if he takes the route to work I think he does, he passes exactly one coffee shop: Tim Hortons, a location I've seen lined up out the door into the parking lot. Unless you also want to count a couple gas stations along that route. Yum, gas station coffee.

P.S. Just got my third win this year. I've tripled my record from last year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:29 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
UWO and London are heavily dominated by Tim Hortons, in fact when I still worked there were about 18 on campus. I don't know where on campus ME works but the Social Science Centre/University Community Centre complex alone has three. I have heard London has more Tim Hortons per capita than anywhere else in Ontario, and possibly all of Canada.

UWO itself has a couple kiosks selling Starbucks coffee, but they serve the coffee out of huge vats and it is not uncommon for the coffee to be hours old. There is also the cafe area of The Spoke, but I always found its sanitary standards to be extremely low. (Ever had an employee sneeze on their hands, wipe their nose, and then proceed to touch your food?)

Tim Hortons has very limited competition in London. Country Style has all but disappeared, and Robin's Donuts fell like dominoes as Tim Hortons opened near them. Angelo's was one of the few local chains but it went bankrupt in the fall. There are two remaining local chains, The Little Red Roaster and Sebastian's, but they are both overpriced.
18 Tim's on campus???? HOLY SHIT!

Here in Grande Prairie we have 5 Tim's in a metro of 70,000 and I believe we have 5 Starbucks as well

This whole argument about which is better is insane, I don't see how anyone on Earth can enjoy black coffee

Since our household got a Tassimo coffeemaker there is no need to rush to Tim's or Starbucks in the mornings anymore
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:41 AM
mersar's Avatar
mersar mersar is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 10,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
18 Tim's on campus???? HOLY SHIT!

Here in Grande Prairie we have 5 Tim's in a metro of 70,000 and I believe we have 5 Starbucks as well

This whole argument about which is better is insane, I don't see how anyone on Earth can enjoy black coffee

Since our household got a Tassimo coffeemaker there is no need to rush to Tim's or Starbucks in the mornings anymore
U of C has 3 on the main campus, and 1 across the street from the medical campus. And 2 of the 3 on the main campus are in the same food court, and have 30 persons lines from 8am until 6pm every day it seems. Plus there are at least 4 other primarily coffee places around campus.



Back to the topic of the thead, I'm still 0 for 2.
__________________

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:50 PM
CorbeauNoir's Avatar
CorbeauNoir CorbeauNoir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Since our household got a Tassimo "coffeemaker" there is no need to rush to Tim's or Starbucks in the mornings anymore
fixed that for you

after making my own espresso I cant ever go back
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:57 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,387
U Waterloo has 5 on the main campus, and numerous individual coffee shops run by each faculty. I've never been to the Kitchener or Cambridge campus, but one of them probably has one somewhere.
__________________
Hope is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:10 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 29,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
fixed that for you

after making my own espresso I cant ever go back
I am heading in that direction. I feel like Jake laMotta in Raging Bull ("I got no choice!!"), except it is Vid that is bothering me about a steak.

Quote:
Jake: Is it done?
Irma: No, it's not done.
Jake: Don't overcook it. You overcook it, it's no good. It defeats its own purpose.
[Irma gives Jake a look.]
Jake: What are you doin'? I just said don't overcook it. You're overcookin' it, bring it over.
Irma: You want your steak?
Jake: Bring it over. Bring it over! It's like a piece of charcoal! Bring it over here!
Irma: You want your steak?
Jake: Yeah, right now!
[Irma stabs the steak and slams it on his plate.]
Irma: Okay. There's your stupid steak. Can't wait for it to be done?
Jake: No, I can't wait.
Irma: Good! Okay? Happy? Happy?
Jake: That's all I want. That's all I want!
Irma: That's...there! No, more! There!
[Jake violently upends the table.]
Jake: Botherin' me about a steak, huh?
Irma: That's great!
Jake: You're botherin' me about the steak?
Irma: Yeah!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
i got noo chooooiiiiiiccccceeee i got no chooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccceee
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:40 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,245
GaHHHHH!!!!!!

2-10 now I think 90% of the cups are Play Again. They just churned out more of the prizes at the beginning to entice people to play their loosing game.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:13 PM
Wharn's Avatar
Wharn Wharn is offline
Torontonian Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxy County
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
UWO and London are heavily dominated by Tim Hortons, in fact when I still worked there were about 18 on campus. I don't know where on campus ME works but the Social Science Centre/University Community Centre complex alone has three. I have heard London has more Tim Hortons per capita than anywhere else in Ontario, and possibly all of Canada.
Londoners love their Tim Hortons, what can we say. What I personally do not love is how rigged this contest is; 0/19 right now. Christ.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:26 PM
Elmira Guy's Avatar
Elmira Guy Elmira Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
OOOOOh check out the big brain on Berklon, my comments were in reference to Vids statement on why people who hate Tim Hortons keep buying their products, if you happen to like their coffee well that's your problem, but if you hate the stuff don't keep buying then complain
Really? Then why did you quote The Architect in your reply?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.