HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Blatstein poised to cash in on Philly police HQ plan

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170714.html

This guy really knows how to fail upwards.
the only winners are blatstein and Police brass who live in the NE and didn't want to drive to west philly. That's about it. Unlike 4601 market this building eventually could have attracted a private use.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Blatstein poised to cash in on Philly police HQ plan

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170714.html

This guy really knows how to fail upwards.
Great description of Blatstein's history as a developer in Philly. Maybe in AC he is actually having to try a different method.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:47 PM

Looks like a re-cladding has started?? on one of Center City's ugliest buildings - Sidney Hillman Apartments at 22nd and Market.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:56 PM

RFP has gone out from the city to developers for the building (and parking lot) at Broad and Lombard. They are requesting high density, mixed-use proposals. They will decide on finalists in September, and the winner by the end of the year.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
RFP has gone out from the city to developers for the building (and parking lot) at Broad and Lombard. They are requesting high density, mixed-use proposals. They will decide on finalists in September, and the winner by the end of the year.
How tall does zoning let them go...and how tall does the market likely let them go?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
More on this.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-1-is-for-sale

I hope they preserve and incorporate the existing facade but seems doubtful.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
People should probably read the planphilly article before commenting. I know that's a lot of work, but it would make the comments more relevant. There is probably no shot that what he proposed will be enacted as presented. And this is not a major issue in most of the city regardless of what Clarke or his opponents claim. I will say that the charging for street parking idea proposed by the anti-car people quoted in the PlanPhilly article is a nonstarter. You talk about starting a revolt and mass exodus to the burbs....
People were not speculating on whether or not it will happen but rather stating that it is a terrible idea. Also... we should lay of Darrell Clark because he does not have the political skill to enact the terrible thing he proposed? Makes sense.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 4:39 PM
facebook.com/PhillyPholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
How tall does zoning let them go...and how tall does the market likely let them go?
It's right at a transit station and, I would think it gets a height variance for that also.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
More on this.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-1-is-for-sale

I hope they preserve and incorporate the existing facade but seems doubtful.
FYI, this building is implicated in the Police Headquarters kerfuffle. The 4601 Market Campus included the police (currently in the roundhouse), the Medical Examiner's Office (currently right next to the Penn/CHOP health megaplex), and the city's public health laboratory (in the building noted in this article). All three sites represent lucrative development opportunities and could fetch a premium for the city. After 4601 fell through, I'm sure they were scrambling to find another location for the lab. Not sure where they'll end up or if it will be as good of a space as they would have had at 4601.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:12 PM

WaPo: As companies relocate to big cities, suburban towns are left scrambling

Article in today's Washington Post about companies relocating from the suburbs to cities. Examples given are mostly Midwestern.

"As companies relocate to big cities, suburban towns are left scrambling"
By Jonathan O'Connell July 16

OAK BROOK, Ill. — Visitors to the McDonald’s wooded corporate campus enter on a driveway named for the late chief executive Ray Kroc, then turn onto Ronald Lane before reaching Hamburger University, where more than 80,000 people have been trained as fast-food managers.

Surrounded by quiet neighborhoods and easy highway connections, this 86-acre suburban compound adorned with walking paths and duck ponds was for four decades considered the ideal place to attract top executives as the company rose to global dominance.

Now its leafy environs are considered a liability. Locked in a battle with companies of all stripes to woo top tech workers and young professionals, McDonald’s executives announced last year that they were putting the property up for sale and moving to the West Loop of Chicago where “L” trains arrive every few minutes and construction cranes dot the skyline....

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.03d65f0835d5

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
People were not speculating on whether or not it will happen but rather stating that it is a terrible idea. Also... we should lay of Darrell Clark because he does not have the political skill to enact the terrible thing he proposed? Makes sense.
again, people should've actually read the article. He was quoted as saying this is a starting point and he wants hearings with all sides represented to find some sort of solution to this issue. I'm not really a Clarke fan, but those are the facts in regards to the article. And as I've said before, when an elected official takes a position that is supported by people who actually voted for them they are sort of doing their job- even if you or others don't respect the views of those constituents. In case you haven't figured this out not every philadelphian has the same views on all issues related to planning, parking, density, development, etc.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
Article in today's Washington Post about companies relocating from the suburbs to cities. Examples given are mostly Midwestern.

"As companies relocate to big cities, suburban towns are left scrambling"
By Jonathan O'Connell July 16

OAK BROOK, Ill. — Visitors to the McDonald’s wooded corporate campus enter on a driveway named for the late chief executive Ray Kroc, then turn onto Ronald Lane before reaching Hamburger University, where more than 80,000 people have been trained as fast-food managers.

Surrounded by quiet neighborhoods and easy highway connections, this 86-acre suburban compound adorned with walking paths and duck ponds was for four decades considered the ideal place to attract top executives as the company rose to global dominance.

Now its leafy environs are considered a liability. Locked in a battle with companies of all stripes to woo top tech workers and young professionals, McDonald’s executives announced last year that they were putting the property up for sale and moving to the West Loop of Chicago where “L” trains arrive every few minutes and construction cranes dot the skyline....

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.03d65f0835d5
While I agree that companies are shifting to a more urban environment, the Caterpillar situation brought up in the article (moving from Peoria to Deerfield, Ill) is a pretty bad example. Deerfield is a straight up car-centric, wealthy suburb. It's like saying a major company is moving from Scranton to King of Prussia. Urban metro maybe, but definitely not urban.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
While I agree that companies are shifting to a more urban environment, the Caterpillar situation brought up in the article (moving from Peoria to Deerfield, Ill) is a pretty bad example. Deerfield is a straight up car-centric, wealthy suburb. It's like saying a major company is moving from Scranton to King of Prussia. Urban metro maybe, but definitely not urban.
I think the point is that there is train service so people can live in the urban core. It's more like moving from Scranton to Jenkintown or Ardmore.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:37 PM

DISCLAIMER: I am not comparing the two cities in the following statement.
I've been walking around NYC a all day and have been noticing a lot of new Art Deco buildings going up. With the completion of Mormon Tower looming, does anyone think our city is going to hop on that train? I personally hope it does, as the glass buildings we have are starting to get old.
I'd call Mormon Tower and both East Market towers (but moreso the west tower) steps in the right direction.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
I think the point is that there is train service so people can live in the urban core. It's more like moving from Scranton to Jenkintown or Ardmore.
Fair enough, but the article is called 'As companies relocate to big cities, suburban towns are left scrambling'...which to me implies just that; suburban office parks are being deserted while the city centers are flourishing. Peoria is a city in and of itself (albeit a small one), Deerfield is about as suburban as it gets. I'm just nitpicking, really.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:43 PM

RFQ issued for midcentury modern health center on Broad Street

Quote:
Health Center No. 1, a midcentury modern building that dates back to 1959 is up for grabs.

The Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC) has issued an RFQ for the 55,880-square-foot building at the corner of Broad and Lombard streets, asking developers to pitch their plans for a “dynamic and sustainable mixed-use development” on the site, Naked Philly first reported.

The RFP, which was issued on Friday, July 17, states that plans are already underway for Health Center No. 1 to be relocated to another location by mid-2018.

That leaves this property at 500-10 S. Broad Street marked for development potential along the Avenue of the Arts, which “has become a hotbed of investment for the city of Philadelphia,” the RFP notes. The health center is located just a stone’s throw away from already-established residential developments as well as future projects like the 45-story SLS International Hotel & Residences at Broad and Spruce streets.

The health center itself was designed by Montgomery & Bishop in 1959 as one of 10 neighborhood health centers built in the city after World War II. The curvy building has long been a standout on the corner of Broad and Lombard, thanks to its teal-tiled facade—the bright colors were meant to lift the spirits of patients.

The RFP says it’s looking for a proposal that brings active uses to the ground floor level (think retail and restaurants), while the upper stories could be residential, hotel, or more commercial space. It continues, “The City and PIDC are open to proposals that reuse the existing building, redevelop the site or some combination of the two. The City is willing to consider proposals that incorporate or relocate the existing City uses.”

Currently, the site is zoned CMX-4 for Center City Commercial Mixed-Use. Proposals are due by September 22, 2017. The PIDC will then short-list interested developers, who will then submit their proposals for the site. A finalist will then be chosen and will enter into an Agreement of Sale with Philadelphia Authority For Industrial Development (PAID).
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/7/17/...a-for-sale-rfq

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
DISCLAIMER: I am not comparing the two cities in the following statement.
I've been walking around NYC a all day and have been noticing a lot of new Art Deco buildings going up. With the completion of Mormon Tower looming, does anyone think our city is going to hop on that train? I personally hope it does, as the glass buildings we have are starting to get old.
I'd call Mormon Tower and both East Market towers (but moreso the west tower) steps in the right direction.
This is not a city vs city thread!

I wanted to be the first to get that out.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Fair enough, but the article is called 'As companies relocate to big cities, suburban towns are left scrambling'...which to me implies just that; suburban office parks are being deserted while the city centers are flourishing. Peoria is a city in and of itself (albeit a small one), Deerfield is about as suburban as it gets. I'm just nitpicking, really.
your point is valid and I don't know much about Deerfield, but I thought it was an odd example to use in the story as representative of the "back to the city" movement.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:31 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
And as I've said before, when an elected official takes a position that is supported by people who actually voted for them they are sort of doing their job- even if you or others don't respect the views of those constituents. In case you haven't figured this out not every Philadelphian has the same views on all issues related to planning, parking, density, development, etc.
And the same could be said about Donald Trump. Just change "Philadelphian" with "American".

Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
And the same could be said about Donald Trump. Just change "Philadelphian" with "American".

Doesn't mean it's a good thing.
Well thats democracy. Bottom line is enlightened people (here and elsewhere) basically believe the views and desires of residents of certain areas are worthless and thus any politician who actually tries to address their concerns is an "f**king idiot" or whatever was said a few posts back. I'll tell you what, the people in that article saying Philly needs to properly value parking and consider charging for on street parking for residents is more out of touch than Clarke. Now THAT proposal is truly dead on arrival and likely to cause mass outrage in rowhouse neighborhoods citywide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations