HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 1:19 AM
Closed account

I visited Zoo Atlanta once and was a little disappointed - not a lot disappointed. I remember being terribly confused trying to "find" the zoo as a guest in the city.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:59 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
I visited Zoo Atlanta once and was a little disappointed - not a lot disappointed. I remember being terribly confused trying to "find" the zoo as a guest in the city.
Isn't the zoo located just off of I-20 at the Boulevard exit? It's in Historic Grant Park, one of the city's largest parks...and, incidentally, almost a million people are able to find the zoo each year. The signs directing people to the zoo seem to be pretty clear, as do the directions on the website (which are essentially the same as in numerous publications around Atlanta):

Getting to the Zoo
Zoo Atlanta is located in historic Grant Park, minutes from downtown Atlanta and less than a mile from Turner Field - home of the Atlanta Braves.

Driving:
Off of Interstate 20, Take Exit 59A (Boulevard) and proceed south 0.5 mile. Park in the lots on Boulevard.

Off Interstate 75/85, take Exit 246 (Fulton Street) and drive east on Fulton Street. Turn right at Capitol Avenue. Follow Capitol to first light, turn left on Georgia Avenue. Georgia Avenue ends at the Cherokee Avenue lot.

Public Transit:
Bus service is available to Zoo Atlanta from the Five Points MARTA station via Route #97 and from the King Memorial MARTA Station
via route #197.

ROUTE 97 (A to Z Bus):
Enjoy under sea and land animals all in one day! The bus route also known as the A to Z bus (Aquarium to Zoo) runs between Zoo Atlanta and The Georgia Aquarium.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else remembers back when the zoo was REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y bad. There was actually a big national scandal and the city was pretty much embarrassed into completely revamping the zoo. The city actually considered closing the whole thing and selling off the animals, it was only through after setting up a public/private zoo assocation, and a massive, corporate and donor drive that it was saved.

The guy who ran the zoo only had the job because he was the vet for the mayor, they were having problems keeping the petting zoo stocked because employees kept taking animals home to cook for dinner, and the star attraction was Willie B. the Gorilla who sat in a small room all day watching TV.

If you think the zoo today is bad, belive me, it's 100X better than it was back then.
I remember that.

I moved to Atlanta in 1984. I'm a fairly emotionally hardened guy I have to admit, but I was teary-eyed when I left the zoo my first trip back then. I wrote some harsh words to the city. Lions kept in concrete floored cages like a dog shelter. Bears little better. And yes, Willie B. in that tiled room with a TV and a car tire to play with and that was it. It wasn't sad - it was disgusting.

And actually, it became an international scandal when some sort of ratings came out and Atlanta's zoo was listed as one of the worst zoos in the WORLD - not just the U.S.

So I agree - it's indeed 100X better than it was. The only thing that hurts it is lack of access for tourists on foot. People hate buses. I'd love to at least see that light rail/trolley "loop" that would connect the Aquarium/park area to the Zoo, and loop around those areas at least.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Public Transit:
Bus service is available to Zoo Atlanta from the Five Points MARTA station via Route #97 and from the King Memorial MARTA Station
via route #197.

ROUTE 97 (A to Z Bus):
Enjoy under sea and land animals all in one day! The bus route also known as the A to Z bus (Aquarium to Zoo) runs between Zoo Atlanta and The Georgia Aquarium.

Most folks I know who travel won't fool with buses. Too crowded, slow, and don't usually run on time. Likewise, while many find the zoo, there are many more who don't feel like navigating Atlanta's traffic trying to find it in a car as well. I'm not sure but didn't they recently suspect that A to Z route, too?

I still say light rail/trolley lines would attract more tourists - not just those riding to the zoo, but those who would ride it to see the loop in general. Surveys have been done in the past that show people have a very "zzzz" mentality when it comes to a bus - rails of any sort are more like Disney rides to folks and entertain kids, etc. They're 3 to 1 more likely to ride any type of rail than a bus.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:13 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post
Most folks I know who travel won't fool with buses. Too crowded, slow, and don't usually run on time. Likewise, while many find the zoo, there are many more who don't feel like navigating Atlanta's traffic trying to find it in a car as well. I'm not sure but didn't they recently suspect that A to Z route, too?

I still say light rail/trolley lines would attract more tourists - not just those riding to the zoo, but those who would ride it to see the loop in general. Surveys have been done in the past that show people have a very "zzzz" mentality when it comes to a bus - rails of any sort are more like Disney rides to folks and entertain kids, etc. They're 3 to 1 more likely to ride any type of rail than a bus.
Most folks? Like...who? 69,000,000 people ride Marta BUSES each year.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:53 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

I think his point is valid - he's referring to tourists or the typical suburban resident who would visit the zoo. Let's not get into the issue of why people don't ride buses -

And keep in mind, there are not a total of 69 million people who ride MARTA buses each year. You might be reading that stat wrong wherever you saw it.

Otherwise, I have ridden the bus to the zoo & at least the trip is pleasant, it goes through the Grant Park neighborhood. But it did take longer than you would think from downtown, not to mention the whole issue of transferring from rail to bus is a big killer for most people. Not to mention having to wait for a bus around the Five Points MARTA station.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshadoh View Post
Not to mention having to wait for a bus around the Five Points MARTA station.
I've had more than one visitor tell me that after the oh...17th time they get asked for money, they don't exactly want to hang out around there much... much less for a bus.

It's no longer much of a secret that some city officials want to write off the Five Points area and "quietly divert" tourists to the Centennial Park/Aquarium area as a new downtown central spot for visitors. If they're going to go the bus route, they should create a bus depot area around Centennial Park that just has the routes that go to the tourist destinations such as the zoo.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 10:13 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshadoh View Post
I think his point is valid - he's referring to tourists or the typical suburban resident who would visit the zoo. Let's not get into the issue of why people don't ride buses -

And keep in mind, there are not a total of 69 million people who ride MARTA buses each year. You might be reading that stat wrong wherever you saw it.

Otherwise, I have ridden the bus to the zoo & at least the trip is pleasant, it goes through the Grant Park neighborhood. But it did take longer than you would think from downtown, not to mention the whole issue of transferring from rail to bus is a big killer for most people. Not to mention having to wait for a bus around the Five Points MARTA station.
I doubt it took longer than walking to the zoo...if those are your two choices and your goal is to go to ZooAtlanta, the bus is probably the better choice.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 10:14 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post
I've had more than one visitor tell me that after the oh...17th time they get asked for money, they don't exactly want to hang out around there much... much less for a bus.

It's no longer much of a secret that some city officials want to write off the Five Points area and "quietly divert" tourists to the Centennial Park/Aquarium area as a new downtown central spot for visitors. If they're going to go the bus route, they should create a bus depot area around Centennial Park that just has the routes that go to the tourist destinations such as the zoo.

Oh no! They got asked for money...horrors! You're in the big city now, that kind of thing just might happen...

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:34 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:46 PM
Reliable Source

Quote:
that kind of thing just might happen...
Just don't expect to see a lot of business and tourists coming to such places.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:06 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Just don't expect to see a lot of business and tourists coming to such places.
It happens at the zoo? No, not that I'm aware. They are talking about Five Points...and no one HAS to go to Five Points to get to the zoo. They can take a cab like tourists do in other cities. Why is that even an issue? The problem here is that there are a few people in this forum that have tried to pooh-pooh all over ZooAtlanta and I've defended it as much as possible. It's a pretty well-respected zoo among people who really KNOW zoos...this is a few people going on hearsay and old information.

I just looked looked up ZooAtlanta reviews on yahoo travel, and seven pages of users rated it an average of 4 out of 5 stars. There was one well informed person who noted that the zoo is one of the top 5 in the nation and has the top primate and flamingo breeding programs in the country. Someone else needs to step in and take over here. I'm sick of arguing with these idiots...I come here for information on development in Atlanta, not to argue with the misinformed.

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; May 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:30 PM

I've never really heard a bunch about ZooAtlanta untill I moved here from Savannah. If it was one of the top 5 Zoo's, wouldn't it be more popular.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 9:55 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
I've never really heard a bunch about ZooAtlanta untill I moved here from Savannah. If it was one of the top 5 Zoo's, wouldn't it be more popular.

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; Jun 1, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
ZooAtlanta started cleaning up its act earlier than a lot of other major zoos. There was a period of time under Maple when it had a very good vibe and could be said to be "leading" in some senses. I think other zoos have caught up and surpassed it, but it's still 100x better than it was in the bad ol' days.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Someone else needs to step in and take over here. I'm sick of arguing with these idiots...I come here for information on development in Atlanta, not to argue with the misinformed.
No, I have a feeling you come here for other reasons.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:11 AM
roma volo

i think the zoo is perfect where it is. everything associated with a city should be concentrated in a general locale. sports stadium and other tourism-oriented development located in gwinnett just doesn't work. i would like to see the city develop the way it is, and remain similar within 100+ years. its the american way to change something when it hasn't served a full lifespan (look at rome). when something gets dated/old, we demolish/move it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:37 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
It happens.
Alright sprtsluvr8 you are getting tossed around here pretty bad. I know we don’t see eye to eye on everything but here is my .02 worth.

First, I don’t want the Atlanta Zoo to ever move from its Grant Park home. This city is unique among those on the east coast in that we have a history as old as the nation but structures only as old as the late 19th century. We do not have to fortune of having very many structures to look to as surviving the times. The Atlanta Zoo has a history that is more than 100 years old and that history should be preserved.

Second, it would be different if that meant that the zoo was squeezed in some tiny corner as an after-thought. But the zoo sits on 40 acres of land in a very large (by Atlanta’s standards) public park. In fact the Atlanta Zoo consumes just over 1/4 of the 144 acre Grant Park.

However, having said that I do have some critiques to offer.

1) Security is abysmal!

I don’t know if anyone knows there is in fact a mini police precinct located on the South/West tip of the park. The building looks as if it was a dilapidated home that was hastily converted into an office. You hardly ever see the police driving around the area or biking it through the park to offer a deterrent to those that might need some deterring. I understand the area is trying to pull itself up from its boot-straps but you have to give visitors a least sense of safety.

2) MARTA is a joke.

For all those public transportation freaks out there let me just say something. MARTA is filthy, MARTA is often off schedule, MARTA changes there routs so often that unless you are a frequent rider there is no way to keep up, and MARTA riders do not appear like they would come across as the friendliest group of people. Say what you want but at some point in our lives we all have cast a stereotype on someone or a group of people. I know quite a few people that are very open and friendly with everyone but see MARTA as a safety hazard. It also doesn’t help that the state legislature has made it legal to carry a concealed firearm onto MARTA.

3) Parking is a nightmare.

The Piedmont Park Conservancy and the Atlanta Botanical Gardens have shown us that nature and infrastructure can work in tandem with each other. The parking deck that they finally go approval for will be so integrated into the park that unless you are watching the cars go in and out it is unlikely you will ever know it is there. The surface parking in Grant Park takes up an enormous amount of space. Fortunately the park has a very rolling terrain that such a large deck could be sunk into. I’m not talking about a Novare monstrosity that sticks 10 levels into the sky. But a 4 or 5 level gated underground parking garage might just do the trick. Manicure the land around it and you would never even know it was there. The Atlanta Zoo, the Cyclorama, and Grant Park all get plenty of parking and since the top of the deck would be at street level then that is where you would put the school and/or tour busses.

4) Grant Park is dark and wooded

Let the sun start dip towards the horizon and watch how fast the park gets dark very quickly. There are very few well lit walking paths and while the park has some of the most beautiful GIANT OAKS you can never get near them for all the foliage that thickly covers the ground. There are some grills littered around pick-nick tables with a gazebo thrown in the mix that leaves you thinking if they even tried to give the area rhyme or reason. There is no rod-iron gate or stone wall entrance that inspires the visitor to remember that this park holds with it the souls and memories of a lengthy past. Grant Park just has this “Well here I am just sitting around occupying space in a rundown South of I-20 neighborhood” feel.

The APD, Atlanta Zoo, Cyclorama, and Grant Park Conservancy need to sit down and have a “come to Jesus” meeting. The parking deck could be sunk into the (very unused) land behind the Cyclorama. The top of the deck could be large enough to hold a mini APD precinct as well as the administration offices off the Atlanta Zoo and still have room for the school and/or tour busses on top at street level. This would allow for the Atlanta Zoo the option of expanding their exhibit space all the way to the edge of the streets of Cherokee Ave, Atlanta Ave, and Boulevard and greatly increasing the acreage that they have available to them for exhibits. The Grant Park Conservancy could work with the groups to make sure that the project naturally connects nature with infrastructure.

Finally, Grant Park must be cleaned up. The renovation work that was completed on Piedmont Park has shown us that a public park can be an inviting and open public space and even be expanded while still preserving its architectural heritage. Grant Park needs a theme and an organized design that is welcoming and inviting to everyone.

Ok I’m done… take care everyone!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 7:27 PM

Zoo Atlanta unveils ambitious revamp

$100M-$200M project would change entrance, add features

The Zoo Atlanta of the future will have a larger Africa exhibit with more elephants, include aquarium-like underwater viewing of frolicking hippos and return the entry to its original space off Boulevard Avenue.

Zoo officials released the preliminaries of its revamping of the attraction to city officials and community leaders this week after more than eight months of study. The project would take 10 to 15 years to complete because the work would be done without closing the attraction.

The new design calls for the zoo to stay in its current roughly 35-acre to 38-acre footprint inside Grant Park. Officials had toyed briefly with the idea of moving to Lakewood fairgrounds.

Officials said in most cities, about 23 percent of the population visits the zoo. In Atlanta, the number is about 17 percent. Kelley wants to increase that number to 1 million visitors annually in the next decade. The zoo had 830,000 visitors in 2007 — a year after giant panda Mei Lan was born — and estimates about 720,000 this year.

By LEON STAFFORD
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 6:03 PM
Fourth and Main

The zoo is hyped by local TV, the CVB and others to sound impressive. When I visited, I expected a zoo on three to five hundred acres or larger, with every type of animal. I thought it would be a two day attraction, but it wasn't. People do did ride the bus there and a restaurant across the street sells water, for those waiting on the bus. Those who know about streetcar parks will guess Atlanta's streetcar investors built the zoo and the Cyclorama's building leads a visitor to believe the zoo's buildings will be historic neoclassical structures. After entering, it is small and can be seen in three hours. The gorillas exhibit is high quality and a visitor can spend a large amount of time there. The zoo is also a garden, which adds another unexpected attraction. The workers there know the animals, are excited to be there, will tell you the best time to see them and become part of the show (something they don't do at the NC Zoo). The small size also makes the zoo a perfect one day family attraction. The zoo's small size does have some benefits.

The downsides:
The pandas are in a building with airbrushed walls and vents. It's not bad, but I expected something better. Some animals are in cinderblock buildings, with the cinderblocks clearly seen. The NC Zoo would hire artists to create fake rocks, etc., to hide this. I would say the lower quality of the exhibit spaces is the only real downside. Also the train doesn't circle all the attractions and is more focused on paintings of animials than the real thing. No one notices the small size until after they have seen everything and around this time, the visitor realizes how much fun they had. I have photos of the zoo and area around it. I should share them. It is fun and worth seeing, but it is a three or four hour attraction. I've never seen the Cyclorama. Winston-Salem is one of the three cities that had one and I think all three paintings are the same?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta