HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:46 PM
Spem Reduxit

I'm happy to see the Reversing Falls restaurant come down...what a horrible looking eyesore! Best 90k the city ever spent!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Wow, really? It seems like just yesterday it was in the current Toys R Us location of the mall.
Yep...and Toys R' Us will be 20 years old in McAllister Place next year too, in the last week of September...the hottest video games that were sold there on Day 1? They were for the Nintendo 64, original Sony PlayStation, and to a lesser extent, Sega Saturn.

I recall having been at McAllister Place a LOT that summer, following along with the gutting and reconstruction of the former Sobeys. When I found out that it was Toys R' Us going in there, the grin never left my internal face then.

I went in that store for the first time, and my eyes lit up huge. I felt like I was at a 3rd home for myself, and also felt like I never wanted to leave. XD

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:50 PM

Sobeys McAlister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
With the Sobey's vs Superstore new location vs new location battle that has been going on the past several years I wonder if Sobeys would consider moving into the Target space? The parking would be much better and the current Sobey's location might be easier to subdivide into smaller stores than the Target site.

Just a thought.
I have heard that Sobeys will be moving to EastPoint in the near future. New Sobeys and Liquor store supposed to be bulit beside the TD Bank. As for old Target.. I know GoodLife was interested in some but not sure if SJ was one

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilJai View Post
I have heard that Sobeys will be moving to EastPoint in the near future. New Sobeys and Liquor store supposed to be bulit beside the TD Bank. As for old Target.. I know GoodLife was interested in some but not sure if SJ was one
Any sources on any of this?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 10:19 PM

Saint John To Get Major Economic Boost

Saint John To Get Major Economic Boost according to CHSJ News
http://www.country94.ca/news/2251381...economic-boost

Posted on Monday, April 6, 2015

CHSJ News has learned a major economic development announcement is going to be made tomorrow in Lorneville.

The 7 million dollar barge terminal project is seen as being a key component to getting the Saint John economy moving again with the creation of highly paid jobs.

This project first came to light last June at the annual meeting of Saint John Industrial Parks as we heard from General Manager Brian Irving who, at the time, talked about the potential impact with the creation of 175 jobs right off the bat and growing from there.

The barge terminal has been compared to building another Moosehead brewery in the Spruce Lake Industrial Park.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilJai View Post
I hope this is true about the liquor store. Parkway is a disgrace and maybe if Good Life moves out they will either bulldoze it or redevelop it for the college. My only concern is access into and out of East Point....it really is a nightmare when it's busy.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
Saint John To Get Major Economic Boost according to CHSJ News
http://www.country94.ca/news/2251381...economic-boost

Posted on Monday, April 6, 2015

CHSJ News has learned a major economic development announcement is going to be made tomorrow in Lorneville.

The 7 million dollar barge terminal project is seen as being a key component to getting the Saint John economy moving again with the creation of highly paid jobs.

This project first came to light last June at the annual meeting of Saint John Industrial Parks as we heard from General Manager Brian Irving who, at the time, talked about the potential impact with the creation of 175 jobs right off the bat and growing from there.

The barge terminal has been compared to building another Moosehead brewery in the Spruce Lake Industrial Park.
Great news!! Nothing drives development like new jobs!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I hope this is true about the liquor store. Parkway is a disgrace and maybe if Good Life moves out they will either bulldoze it or redevelop it for the college. My only concern is access into and out of East Point....it really is a nightmare when it's busy.
My favourite optical store is in Parkway Mall.

Granted, it's the only store in the place...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Also announced a few weeks ago, Nordia is hiring 250 more employees and moving from Parkway to Prince Edward Square

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...jobs-1.2998268

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
Also announced a few weeks ago, Nordia is hiring 250 more employees and moving from Parkway to Prince Edward Square

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...jobs-1.2998268
Which is wonderful news for Prince Edward Square mall and its environs. Between that call centre, the redevelopment of Chown Field this year and the new Social Enterprise Hub on Prince Edward Street, it should really spruce up the area - minus what JDI is doing to Elliott Row of course

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:27 AM

Parkway needs to be bulldozed and have a few larger stores built on the site. It's really prime real-estate right in the middle of the shopping district and is presently just a big obstacle that people have to drive around to get to the other side.

A Bed Bath & Beyond/PetSmart strip like the one in Moncton would be great there. Could also include Dollarama - the current location is very small compared to their newer stores (ie the Plaza Blvd location West).

Also the parking lot is literally like driving on the moon. It's a complete disaster and I'm not sure if they can even afford to fill in the potholes, let alone pave the whole thing. A disgrace.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Parkway needs to be bulldozed and have a few larger stores built on the site. It's really prime real-estate right in the middle of the shopping district and is presently just a big obstacle that people have to drive around to get to the other side.

A Bed Bath & Beyond/PetSmart strip like the one in Moncton would be great there. Could also include Dollarama - the current location is very small compared to their newer stores (ie the Plaza Blvd location West).

Also the parking lot is literally like driving on the moon. It's a complete disaster and I'm not sure if they can even afford to fill in the potholes, let alone pave the whole thing. A disgrace.
You mean like...turn the current Parkway Mall property into a power centre of some kind? And turf the original structure?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
You mean like...turn the current Parkway Mall property into a power centre of some kind? And turf the original structure?
That's generally what "bulldoze" means.

There is zero demand for a standard indoor shopping mall like Parkway offers anymore, especially with lots of space opening up in McAllister. The building is old, poorly maintained, outdated, and empty.

I'm not sure if it would be a whole new power centre or simply an extension of the adjacent Smart Centre. I'm sure the parking lots could be connected if they really wanted to.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 9:08 PM

Looks like Potash Corp revealed plans for an expansion to the Potash Terminal to handle the expected increase in activity there. Haven't seen a lot of details other than it including infill on Courtney Bay to accommodate a new access road from the causeway and a couple new rail lines for train car storage.
Connell Smith from CBC had a few tweets about it today: https://twitter.com/connellcbc/statu...74540143730688

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:05 PM

Interesting tweet from Neville Crabbe CBC

https://twitter.com/Neville_C/status...292288/photo/1

False alarm

"Neville Crabbe ‏@Neville_C · 5h5 hours ago
The old Woolworth-Bargain shop in uptown Saint John, #nb is still for sale. New signs going up shortly, according to agent."

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 1:13 AM

East Point Expansion?

There seems to be a lot of activity at East Point, including a lot of ground preparations and a lot of machinery to boot as can be seen in the short, very short video I shot today:

http://youtu.be/PF6N2k2MJnE

Last edited by Wolkenkratzerliebhab; May 2, 2015 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
There seems to be a lot of activity at East Point, including a lot of ground preparations and a lot of machinery to boot as can be seen in the short, very short video I shot today:

http://youtu.be/PF6N2k2MJnE
Might have something to do with what we were discussing in the Retail thread. Also - you're video is set to private, so we can't see anything....

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Might have something to do with what we were discussing in the Retail thread. Also - you're video is set to private, so we can't see anything....
Hmmmm, I'm new to video so I am not sure how to un 'Private' this video, but I'll look into it!

A friend just advised me that the video now works on his iPad, so I hope you can all now see what a terrible videographer I am!

Last edited by Wolkenkratzerliebhab; May 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:17 PM

Video works for me! Looks like plenty diggin'.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 7:50 PM

Looks like the airport had a great 2014, breaking an all-time record for passagers @ 249k. Numbers for the first quarter of this year are up by 7% and on June 1st AC is adding a seasonal 4th flight to TO. I wonder if SJ becoming a home port for Blount Cruises had much do do with this seasonal flight?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces