HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 8:17 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Sounds good. IF no ships go through here then maybe you can make them go through the Taconic(?) river. Is that the other river?
The other body of water is simply called 'Sprain Brook', even though it's the size of a small river. There are strictly no boats allowed on the Sprain Brook. You'll see how that's enforced by the height of the Taconic Parkway Bridge.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 8:55 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Oh yeah, Spain Brook. I got it confused with the Taconic Parkway. So then the port is somewhere far from the city? That's a bit odd. You don't have to make the port but you should add one in the cities history because even inland cities have large ports to allow shipping and cruise ships to increase the economy.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 9:32 PM
World Machine

Quote:
So then the port is somewhere far from the city? That's a bit odd. You don't have to make the port but you should add one in the cities history because even inland cities have large ports to allow shipping and cruise ships to increase the economy.
The city's main cargo and international connection comes from both trucks (on the highway), and the international airport (that will sport a cargo portion).

In the early days of the city there were small merchant ships (not near to size of modern cargo ships) that would come up the Housatonic to promote trade. Now in modern day the network of highways and the airport eliminate that.

In modern times the Housatonic is only used for recreational motor boats. The Housatonic River (in fiction) connects to the Hudson River (which of course flows down through Manhattan into the Atlantic). There are no cargo ships allowed up the Hudson, therefore none allowed up the Housatonic either.

You can say the nearest port to Sprainbrook is Port Newark (New York). That cargo of course would be delivered by truck through a shipping company (Evergreen, 'K'line, Maersk Sealand, Hanjin, Cosco, etc...).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 10:10 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Oh, ok. I get it. It makes sense now. Are you gonna work on more infrastructure of will you start working on the buildings?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 10:26 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Oh, ok. I get it. It makes sense now. Are you gonna work on more infrastructure of will you start working on the buildings?
I've finished the Armstrong Expressway, The Sprainbrook Parkway, Riverside Drive, The Sprainbrook Tunnel, and the Armstrong Interchange.

The only piece of infastructure I have left is the Taconic and the Taconic Parkway Bridge. I expect to have that done by tomorrow.

Timetable:
-On Wednesday, I'll show you an update of the Armstrong Expressway and the Armstrong Interchange.
-On Friday, I'll show you an update of Riverside Drive and the Sprainbrook Tunnel.
-On Saturday, I'll show you an update of the Taconic and the Taconic Parkway Bridge.

You can expect to see the first wave of skyscrapers as early as Sunday night.

-Then I'm taking a break from the city to study for my final exams. I plan to continue the city for a while starting it up again in mid May, but with summer internships, and my own future company obligations, we'll play it by year.

Take my advice and enjoy the high school years while you can because sketch-up in college is a rare thing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:10 AM
World Machine

Thumbs up The Armstrong Expressway

I've decided to post the update tonight instead of tomorrow being that tomorrow I have a busy afternoon.

The Armstrong Expressway was built in part with the Taconic and the Sprainbrook Parkway back in 1955. This of course was all linked in the highway development of the city. Since then, the Armstrong has been considered Sprainbrook's 'link' to the outside World. This is due to the fact that the Armstrong links to I-95 in Philadelphia.
The Expressway got it's name from one of the founding fathers of the city. Sprainbrook was founded in 1905 by Maxwell Armstrong, Richard Collins, and Nathan Smith. (But that is a whole other story).
There was much debate about the Armstrong when it was built, being that it backs up to the suburbs of the city. A solution was thought up and carried out in 1975. That solution was the addition of sound walls to block to noise made by the expressway. To this day some residents still feel it was a cheap solution.

Scroll:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a shot of the toll booth near the Armstrong Interchange. On both sides there are small rest areas.

This is an overhead shot of the Armstrong Expressway. The Interchange is visible from the 'cross' made by the Sprainbrook Parkway and the Armstrong.

South-bound on the Armstrong. Note the sound walls on either side, and the Sprainbrook Crossing on the background.

The below grade portion of the Armstrong, near the interchange. The Exit above leads to the Sprainbrook Tunnel.

The exit off the Armstrong, leading into the South-bound tube of the Sprainbrook tunnel.

The Toll Plaza of the Armstrong Expressway. Also in view are the rest areas, the entrance to the Sprainbrook Tunnel, the below grade portion of the Armstrong, and the Sprainbrook Parkway.

North-bound on the Armstrong, heading towards Pittsburg.

Leave some comments, they've been a big help. Enjoy!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:14 AM

Wow! you're always the best at infrastructure! it's so well planned and then built. Thats seriously awesome. and good history too

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:25 AM

Neat! the thing that sucks about infrastructure is it virtually impoosible to do with textures. I love the shadows,cant wait to see buildings! just dont ruin them with no detail,and have a super infrastrucural city with loads of detail.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:31 AM
Registered Lurker

It's incredible Dac. I was looking for something I could suggest to make it better but I couldn't find a problem. I was going to say to make the rest stops have more curvature because it looks blocky and sharp from above, but that's nothin!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 5:16 PM
World Machine

treras- Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Glad you like it.
austin- Thank you. I plan to have much detail on the buildings. It'll look nice and balanced.
Peter- Thank you very much. Perhaps I'll curve those rest stops a little down the road.

Alright, I plan to update on Riverside Drive tomorrow because I'm busy on Friday. The Taconic will be shown either Saturday or Sunday, and then the skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 8:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, everything was well done. If you added the green overhead signs it would be the best freeway/highway system you've ever created. The buildings will certainly make your city neat. I like the island shape but maybe you should combine blocks around that triangular one next to the Sprainbrook Bridge(?) to make a WTC, WFC, or a Convention Center.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:39 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Yeah, everything was well done. If you added the green overhead signs it would be the best freeway/highway system you've ever created. The buildings will certainly make your city neat. I like the island shape but maybe you should combine blocks around that triangular one next to the Sprainbrook Bridge(?) to make a WTC, WFC, or a Convention Center.
Thank you Alek. I do plan to add some signs, but I really want to move on as of now and get the rest of the city going. I'll save the minor details such as that for later.

Yes, that is the Sprainbrook Bridge (crossing). I actually have developed that area already in a seperate file. My plan is just to copy and paste into the city file. A few blocks are actually done, including those, but I do plan on a financial center eventually.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:06 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't think you can copy and paste from other files. Can you? When I want to put some models into another file I go to Files>Import>3D Model. But anyways, Can't wait to see the buildings. You should make the cities tallest, not now, but make it one of the first buildings you make so that later on if you decide to remodel the city you can keep it like Galcorp in Staunton, Picasso & Echo in San Felix, and so on...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:27 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I don't think you can copy and paste from other files. Can you?
Yes you can. You (of course) highlight the model, click copy, and then close out of the file. Then open up the other file, click paste, and place the model where you want.

I too thought you couldn't do it, until I just gave it a shot one day and sure enough it worked.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:09 AM
World Machine

I know I promised an update today, but it seems I'm going back to the originally planned Friday update. A few things came up today that I didn't want to pass up, so I had no time to work on the city, let alone post an update. So expect one tomorrow of Riverside Drive, and something else that I've kept under wraps.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:32 AM
Registered Lurker

Riverside Drive sounds great.

There is a Riverside Dr. here in Melbourne too. All the wealthy people live on it. The location is beautiful on a thin barrier island very close to the beach.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 6:07 AM
Desert Dweller

Nobody beats Dac150's amazing infastructure!

Gawd, I really dont wanna get to the part of Staunton when I actually have to work on the freeways and such, aahh!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 6:48 AM

OH wow man MAjor Higways plus the bridge tunnels and water INTENSE!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 2:58 PM
World Machine

Peter- Thank you. The name does sound very posh, which is why I chose it.
Patrick- Thank you, I appreciate it. The infastructure is difficult and takes time. If you're not someone who enjoys it, then I can imagine it's a pain. For me though I love it, which is why I usually make it first.
Tanster- Thank you!

Alright guys, I know I've been cheap with my update dates the last couple of days, but I had a late night last night, and there was no way I was giving an update at 2am.

However, later this afternoon there will be one on Riverside Drive. This of course will push everything back one day, so tomorrow expect the Taconic, and Monday some skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

The longer to update the better (just don't take over a week to do one update). It shows you're working on your city, and you're adding as much details as you can. Plus it makes the city last longer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup