HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 6:20 AM

http://www.kgw.com/video/video-index...d=324913&shu=1

The only use I have ever found for the Trib. is cleaning glass.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 10:44 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I just read that Washington state law's age of consent is 16.

Wow!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Wow!
Are you going to move up there now?!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ what the

I was noting the difference between Oregon and Washington law, in the context that many people who are anti-Sam are accusing him of raping a child and are calling him a pedophile. Jump to the 'Couv, Seattle, and points north, and adults are legally allowed to have sex with high schoolers. (eww)

Of course, it appears from the information released by the news media and individuals involved in the whole debacle that Breedlove was 18, and I am going to take it at their word.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:37 PM

16 is pretty common actually - it's the age of the consent in much of the US, Canada (though its 18 for anal sex there), the UK, Russia, most of Australia, South Africa, India, Belgium, Norway. Much of Europe has an age of consent of 14/15, while Spain's is 13 [!]

Oregon's is at the higher end of the scale.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 2:05 PM

The rally was indeed short, but it was great to see people stick around and rally throughout the evening in support of Sam and that there was a multi-generational and otherwise diverse set of people there in support. It was particularly telling to notice that the couple people counter-protesting were reading from a Bible, as if to suggest that would sway either Sam or people who actually live in the City of Portland in their favor. Portland is already Sodom and Gomorah in their narrow eyes.. isn't it appropriate we have a "Sodomite" as our Mayor?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 7:59 PM

Quote:
^^^ what the
I was totally kidding around, sorry. It was 3am.

That rally made me extremely happy. I assume that will be a big shot in the arm for Adams sticking with it as mayor. I think we may live in the coolest city in the world.

Reading the comments on this thread has also been refreshing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 8:22 PM

I had to stop reading some of the comments on the KGW story because I was getting pissed. I ALMOST wrote something nasty back but managed to talk myself out of it.

I really hope that Sam sees the support he got last night and I hope that helps him to decide to stay in office. The facebook group in support of Sam now has almost 2,900 members. That's 1,000 more than yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46090272767

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 8:38 PM

when is the next rally i really want to go

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 8:48 PM

Love this sign from the rally last night...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:17 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
The facebook group in support of Sam now has almost 2,900 members. That's 1,000 more than yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46090272767
Thanks for posting the link dkealoha. Just signed up.... my first time on Facebook. I guess I'm no longer a Facebook virgin, glad to lose my virginity for Sam.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:20 PM

Welcome to Portland. This is the picture that the NYT chose to represent us for their Adams story today. The WW must be gloating right now, seeing their Pulitzer mentioned in the newspaper of record like that. Their behavior of the last week has merely been embarrassing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I was totally kidding around, sorry. It was 3am.
don't worry, I knew you were kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
I had to stop reading some of the comments on the KGW story because I was getting pissed. I ALMOST wrote something nasty back but managed to talk myself out of it.

I really hope that Sam sees the support he got last night and I hope that helps him to decide to stay in office. The facebook group in support of Sam now has almost 2,900 members. That's 1,000 more than yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46090272767
I admit to writing a few nasty comments here and there... damn skurvy knaves!

Quote:
[
Oh my god its time to move out of Portland now! Is that our cities' image?!?!?!?!!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 10:18 PM
Karma Police

I guarantee you, those are not Portlanders. They look like they're right-wing, fundamentalist, homophobic, holier-than-thou a-holes who were bussed in from some mega-church in the 'burbs. Of course, these hypocrites had no problem with the "Lies, Corruption and Abuse of Power" of the Bush administration. Fortunately, people like this are an ever-shrinking minority.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Welcome to Portland. This is the picture that the NYT chose to represent us for their Adams story today. The WW must be gloating right now, seeing their Pulitzer mentioned in the newspaper of record like that. Their behavior of the last week has merely been embarrassing.

omg. the nyt has taken us down from city of food to city of rubes. oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:37 PM

the web sites of both katu and kgw are reporting that adams has decided to stay.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:20 AM
Karma Police

Yeah, I knew he wouldn't resign. Not his style. He's a master of spinning things to his political advantage. I'm sure this whole "deliberation" process was his way of showing remorse for what he did and that he has learned his lesson..... but now it's time to move on with real business and stop the Victorian-era witch hunts.

Now we just have to wait till July for the angry and repressed few to file their petition for a repeal (you know it's coming).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:12 AM

Glad he's going to stick around and fight. We need to worry about things like replacing those 1,000 jobs we just lost on the west side rather than worry about what someone did with their genitalia. Just my 2c.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 4:36 PM
Bears of antiquity

Breedlove says that he and Adams kissed, then later clarified on Blogtown that it was one of those face-mashing man-kisses. I think that settles the idea of inappropriate conduct, anything more is just hassling and pushing it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:53 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Saw this post on the stranger. Thought it was awesome:

Quote:
@8: "Fucking offensive stereotype"? He had sex with an adult. End of story. You may wish to question his wisdom in doing so, and/or Breedlove's wisdom in doing so, but by both their accounts they both wanted it. Nobody was raped; nobody was used. If someone had cried "rape!" or "manipulation!" there would be a story here. As it was, an adult lied to cover up an aspect of his private life that was nobody's fucking business. I don't have a problem with that. In a world where politicians' lies can get people killed and they get to keep their jobs, Sam Adams is a fucking saint.

Posted by breklor on January 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...sex_is_never_o

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics