HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 1:34 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Maybe Ithaca is starting to think beyond the loud people at Bryant Park and look out for the greater good in a responsible way... maybe Ithaca is starting to hear what students have to say? Let us hope.
Indeed, Let the height and buildings rise along College, Linden, Dryden and Eddy. Bryant Park area wouldn't be affected by more density along those streets. Welcome to SSP isee. Hope you can stick around a bit. I'm going to copy out those last two links you put up since the Journal doesn't always leave links available:

Cornell students protest Council's Collegetown plan
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • April 2, 2009

ITHACA - Students showed up in force at Common Council's Wednesday night meeting, opposing a proposal to reduce building height and density in a section of Collegetown where the city's consultants recommended allowing bigger buildings.

An attorney also handed the Council a protest on behalf of eight property owners, who own a total of 21 parcels in the area impacted by the zoning change.

Roughly 50 students attended, though only about a dozen spoke against a proposal to reduce building size in the roughly 30 lots bounded by Oak Avenue, Dryden Court, Elmwood Avenue and Harvard Place.

Existing zoning allows four-story buildings up to 40 feet that cover 35 percent of the lot. The changes would reduce that to three stories and 35 feet, covering 30 percent of the lot. Setbacks for yards would also increase.

Council had not voted on the zoning change by press time.

Cornell student body president Ryan Lavin told the Council that the proposal offered by consultants Goody Clancy was a good compromise between the sometimes competing needs of students, permanent residents, business owners, developers and Cornell University.

The Ithaca Planning Board's revisions to the plan, on the other hand, just maintain the status quo, and in the case of the proposed R-3c zoning change, move further from students' needs, said graduate student Ed Strong.

Planning Board Chairman John Schroeder defended the changes, saying they were meant to buffer permanent resident neighborhoods and provide a transition from the high-density core of Collegetown out into the neighborhoods."The R-3c zone does not have to do with the core of Collegetown. It is the periphery," he said.

Trish Kendall, headmistress of Cascadilla School, said she opposed the new development at 320 Dryden Road because it was "aesthetically out of character for the Collegetown neighborhood."

The 320 Dryden Road development has often been cited by those who favor the zoning reduction. However, Kendall said she opposed the zoning change and instead supported the original Goody Clancy plan, because, she said, it would help concentrate density rather than spread students further out into single-family homes.

"(Council is) refusing to look the future square in the face," she said.

Asa Craig, a member of the student assembly and university assembly, said town-gown relations will worsen if students have to move farther into neighborhoods to find housing because there isn't enough in Collegetown. He cited tension over noise violation tickets as an example.

Belle Sherman resident Anne Clavel, a long-time opponent of the Goody Clancy plan, said the idea to increase density while reducing parking requirements will be a disaster for nearby neighborhoods and the proposed in-lieu payment plan will not work because it's dependent on developers or property companies staying in business.

Collegetown zoning changes fail
From Staff Reports • April 2, 2009

ITHACA — Controversial zoning changes to lower allowable building heights along Dryden Road in Collegetown will not go through because of a legal protest by a group of affected property owners.

Common Council voted 6-4 late Wednesday night in favor of reducing allowable building heights on the eastern edge of Collegetown.

But before the vote, the Council received a legal protest on behalf of 8 property owners who own 21 of the 33 affected parcels.

State law mandates that if property owners representing at least 20 percent of the affected land area protest a zoning change, it requires 75 percent approval to pass --- meaning 8 votes, City Attorney Dan Hoffman said.

Alderpersons Maria Coles, D-1st, Jennifer Dotson, I-1st, Eric Rosario, I-2nd, Mary Tomlan, D-3rd, Nancy Schuler, D-4th, and Dan Cogan, D-5th, voted in favor.
Alderpersons Svante Myrick, D-4th, Robin Korherr, D-5th, J.R. Clairborne, D-2nd, and Joel Zumoff, D-3rd, voted against

Hoffman said he couldn't guarantee the protest was legitimate because he just received it, but it appeared to be.

Alderwoman Mary Tomlan, D-4th, said she lives in the neighborhood and is intimately familiar with the properties and believed the protest to be accurate and legitimate.

The Council had been considering a proposal to create an R-3c zone that would reduce allowable building sizes along Dryden Road, in the area roughly bounded by Oak Ave, Dryden Court, Elmwood Ave and Harvard Place.

In a public hearing before the vote, students overwhelmingly disapproved of the idea. Developers, landlords and impacted property owners also disapproved. Many permanent residents in nearby neighbors liked the idea as a way to buffer their neighborhoods from high-density student development.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 1:02 AM
Old Fart Forumer

From today's Ithaca Journal (good to see iseethepacific, our new forumer, expressing his indignation)

Debate not over on Collegetown heights
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • April 4, 2009

ITHACA - The Collegetown height reductions defeated late Wednesday will likely return again in some form, as part of the overall zoning for the full Collegetown Urban Plan.

A controversial R-3c proposal that would have changed the zoning on 33 properties in east Collegetown won 6-4 approval by Common Council but failed because a legal protest by affected property owners meant the measure needed eight votes.

However, the R-3c was only proposed as a partial stopgap measure because the construction moratorium ends April 12, and Common Council has not yet adopted the urban plan.

The urban plan, as revised by the city's Planning Board, includes building height reductions in several neighborhoods considered transition areas between the Collegetown core and surrounding neighborhoods, including much of the R-3c area, said City Planner Leslie Chatterton.

"I don't think it'll come back in exactly the same form and exactly the same boundary, but the height for that area (35 feet) is proposed in the plan now, and I think that will probably go forward as proposed," Chatterton said. "But I don't think there would be the same protest because I don't think it would be viewed as just picking out one, arbitrary area."

At Wednesday's meeting, Common Council received a protest from eight property owners who owned 21 of the 33 impacted parcels. State law requires that if property owners representing 20 percent of the impacted land area protest, the governing body must get a super-majority - 75 percent, or eight out of 10 Council votes.

"You see, because it was such a small area, it was pretty easy," for property owners to protest, Chatterton said. "I think for the larger Collegetown area, where you have so many thousands more people and properties, it wouldn't be so easy to organize."

The Urban Plan created by Boston-based consultants Goody Clancy called for raising building heights in the core of Collegetown to 90 feet and increasing heights in surrounding neighborhoods.

Students, developers, landlords, business owners and Cornell University representatives generally like the idea for taller buildings. Most permanent residents do not.

Various properties within the defeated R-3c zone had been recommended to increase to as much as 60 feet. Current zoning allows 40 feet, and the planning board recommended reducing that to 35 feet.

The Planning Board and Common Council's Planning Committee have scheduled a joint meeting for Tuesday in an effort to "get everybody on the same page, mostly with regard to heights," Chatterton said.

The group is also scheduled to discuss incentive zoning. When discussed at the planning committee, this has meant keeping building heights at 60 feet in the core of Collegetown, and allowing developers to go up to 75 feet if they provide some other public good, like streetscape improvements.

Calls Friday to Planning Board Chairman John Schroeder and Planning Committee Chairwoman Jennifer Dotson, I-2nd, were not returned.

Previous PageIn Your Voice| Read reactions to this story
Newest first Oldest first

iseethepacific wrote:

This is a shady attempt the Planning Board is doing. John Schroeder (encouraged by Marry Tomlan and the common Bryant Park residents who hate any new development) is giving the Planning Board authority over expert consultants. Consultans who were hired from a NATIONAL SEARCH, to find the best solutions for Collegetown. It took two years and nearly $200K of open public debate and input to get the Original Goody Clancy plan. Now the Planning Board and those minority stakeholders who don't like the results are reversing the direction Collegetown needs to go in... and they are doing it in only 2 months, and at meetings with NO PUBLIC COMMENT SCHEDULED.
Seriously... this is shady, THIS IS DISHONEST. The Planning Board and some Common Council members are absolutely killing the proper process.
This is an outrage. As this article points out... they didn't get their way with the Goody Clancy Plan, then they didn't get their way with R3c... so now they are going to re-cast it in a new mask and try to get their way by making "revisions" to the Goody Clancy Plan.
4/4/2009 6:26:14 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 3:27 PM

Ithaca makes me laugh at times

Yes... yes I have been and will be a vocal supporter of new, quality, and attractive development in Collegetown. And a VERY vocal opponent of this crap process the Planning Board in Ithaca and some seriously poor local politicians are attempting. How do some people even get elected?!

I'll be sticking around. I'll do what I can to give updates which might not make it into the newspapers.

If you can, listen to the local radio today (Sunday April 5th) at 6pm. WVBR.com (93.5 FM here). You should be able to get it streaming online. Will be a good debate/conversation between Tomlan, Mytick, Schroeder and Van Cort.

6pm, WVBR.com (it will be archived too I believe... for those who want to later listen)

http://www.wvbr.com/sundayforum

Last edited by iseethepacific; Apr 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM. Reason: to add a link

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 11:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Great info isee. Unfortunately I didn't tune in until the last 15 minutes. I did hear talk of compromise, which is good. But I have a strong feeling the 75 to 90 foot height allowance isn't gonna happen.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 3:11 PM

the game we play

You missed the good parts! those were first. It will be archived and available to listen anytime. Check back at the link soon to listen.

Yeah, I don't think the 90' will survive either. Personally, I am more interested in keeping the density increases among the rest of Collegetown... even those increases in lot coverage and modest heights are in danger from the Planning Board in Ithaca.

As for the core and the 90'... look for something like "incentive zoning". 60' with possible 75' if the developer does "public good". Public good can mean LEED cert., open space, money to city to build park...

The problem with incentive zone however is that large projects have the resources and space to play with to do "public good", local developers often don't have the economy of scale to achieve that. Also, if the desire is for a solid coherent looking set of buildings, incentize zoning make that difficult since some buildings might do public good and go taller, while other choose not to... which means you can get a choppy look to the tops of buildings which are so close to eachother that they touch.

but compromise is the game local politics plays. and i suppose that is a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 10:05 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ I'll give it a listen this weekend. And quite true about the local politics, at least most times.

Gotta love Wegmans (from the Ithaca Journal):

A new Consumer Reports rating has Wegmans No. 1 in the country among 59 grocery chains
By Kate Perry • Gannett • April 7, 2009

Wegmans Food Markets Inc. is rated by customers as the No. 1 supermarket chain in the United States in the May issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

The 72-store Rochester-based Wegmans chain edged out three other grocers — Trader Joe’s, which placed second, and Publix and Raley’s, which tied for third — in the ranking of 59 national and regional companies.

Trader Joe’s and Raley’s are based in California, while Publix is dominant in Florida.

Stores were rated by customers on service, the quality of perishable products, price and cleanliness. The magazine said 32,599 people responded to a survey conducted by its National Research Center.

Wegmans received an overall rating of 87 out of 100, with 100 representing complete satisfaction by all customers. A rating of 80 meant customers were very satisfied.

Trader Joe’s had a rating of 86, while Publix and Raley’s were at 84.

Wegmans, Trader Joe’s and Raley’s shared the top ranking for service. Wegmans and Whole Foods Market, No. 8 overall, were rated highest for perishables. Wegmans was alone at the top in cleanliness.

Only in price did Wegmans not finish first. Six chains were ranked best in that category, including Aldi.

“Obviously, we are thrilled,” said Wegmans spokeswoman Jo Natale. “It’s gratifying to know that our customers recognize the hard work of all our employees.”

Earlier this year, Wegmans was ranked third among Fortune magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For. It has been at or near the top of that list for 11 consecutive years.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 10:52 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Sorry to keep going on aboput this, but these obstacles the common council will put up to the Goody-Clancy plan will not hold up forever. I think the city has several agendas going on to keep Collegetown from becoming a second downtown. Just my opinion.

From the Ithaca Journal

Collegetown proposal trades height for developers' parking requirements
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • April 8, 2009

ITHACA - The Collegetown plan proposed by a committee of Ithaca planning officials would eliminate most of the height increases proposed by a city consultant, but would also eliminate developers' parking requirements.

Through an "incentive zoning" proposal, about a dozen properties in the Collegetown core would be eligible to build up to 75 feet, but only in exchange for "community benefits" such as building a hotel or a transit hub, according to information presented at a joint Planning Board and Common Council planning committee meeting Tuesday night.

"The goal of this is, to the best of our ability, to try to balance within the valid concerns of all parties involved," said Planning Board Chairman John Schroeder. "It's not going to please the people who say, 'Goody Clancy all the way, no changes,' they're not going to be completely happy, and it's not going make those residents who've said, 'Reject Goody Clancy' happy either."

An 18-month construction moratorium in Collegetown expires this week. During that time, the city spent $180,000 to hire consultants Goody Clancy and a zoning code consultant. The Goody Clancy plan called for increasing building heights in Collegetown and eliminating developers' parking requirements in order to spur more development in the Collegetown core.

The Planning Board's revisions to the plan allow some height increases along College and Linden avenues, but building heights in surrounding "transition" neighborhoods would be lowered, similar to the R-3c zoning along Dryden Road defeated last week.

Alderwoman Maria Coles, D-1st, argued the Planning Board's revision keeps too much of the Goody Clancy plan. The plan calls for developers to pay in-lieu fees to the city instead of building parking, but there's no designated location for a remote parking garage and 20 high-tech parking meters would cost close to $800,000, she said.

"I haven't seen any version of a Collegetown plan that won't cost the city a fortune," she said.

Alderman Svante Myrick, D-4th, argued the Planning Board's revision doesn't keep enough of Goody Clancy's recommendations.

Four hundred new undergraduates are coming to Cornell in the next four years, and if they can't find housing in Collegetown, they will out-compete residents in other neighborhoods for rental housing, he said.

"I think maintaining the status quo isn't going to fix this," Myrick said.

Previous PageIn Your Voice| Read reactions to this story
Newest first Oldest first
Raptor119 wrote:

Ctownbusiness:

The mayor, Ms. Phoney Baloney, should be the first bureaucrat to go. Followed quickly by the rest of the Common Council members.

Speaking of Common Council: Did the absent-but-still-being-paid Ms. Korherr actually attend a meeting this week? Bet the voters she represents would be interested in seeing her come once or twice a year if at all possible with her busy schedule.
4/8/2009 12:07:13 PM Ctownbusiness:<br /><br />The mayor, Ms. Phoney Baloney, should be the first bureaucrat to go. Followed quickly by the rest of the Common Council members.<br /><br />Speaking of Common Council: Did the absent-but-still-being-paid Ms. Korherr actually attend a meeting this week? Bet the voters she represents would be interested in seeing her come once or twice a year if at all possible with her busy schedule. Raptor119
Recommend New post Reply to this Post Report Abuse

diogenes13 wrote:

When I saw the headline, I thought the tradeoff was that buildings could be 90 feet only if developers arranged for sufficient parking. Foolish me.
4/8/2009 11:48:44 AM When I saw the headline, I thought the tradeoff was that buildings could be 90 feet only if developers arranged for sufficient parking. Foolish me. diogenes13

ctownbusiness wrote:

So in other words, say goodbye the individually owned properties. Tthey are all going to get sold the highest bidder because the individual landlord cannot build a hotel or a community benefical project on their small parcel of land. who can? Cornell and Integrated Acquisistions. Acquisitions huh? that seems fair.

So whoever scratches the backs of the city's and these fools on the Planning & Development committees the best will get to build a tall building.

And feel free to substitue back scratching for another favorable body maneuver one performs on another.

Also - according the better article in the Cornell Daily Sun (surprise surprise), John "the joke" Schroeder and his cronies said that the recommendation to the common council will be delayed BECAUSE BOARD MEMEBERS and RESIDENTS need FURTHER discussion among THEMSELVES.

No mention of landlords, property owners or business owners.

Vote the people who appointed this board out of office ASAP!!! That means you Ms. Mayor. Way to turn your back on collegetown to focus on your houses for the needy.

4/8/2009 11:38:36 AM So in other words, say goodbye the individually owned properties. Tthey are all going to get sold the highest bidder because the individual landlord cannot build a hotel or a community benefical project on their small parcel of land. who can? Cornell and Integrated Acquisistions. Acquisitions huh? that seems fair.<br /><br />So whoever scratches the backs of the city's and these fools on the Planning & Development committees the best will get to build a tall building. <br /><br />And feel free to substitue back scratching for another favorable body maneuver one performs on another.<br /><br />Also - according the better article in the Cornell Daily Sun (surprise surprise), John "the joke" Schroeder and his cronies said that the recommendation to the common council will be delayed BECAUSE BOARD MEMEBERS and RESIDENTS need FURTHER discussion among THEMSELVES. <br /><br />No mention of landlords, property owners or business owners. <br /><br />Vote the people who appointed this board out of office ASAP!!! That means you Ms. Mayor. Way to turn your back on collegetown to focus on your houses for the needy.<br /><br /> ctownbusiness

Raptor119 wrote:

But the last thing these Common Council bureaucrats want to do is eliminate the tight housing market in Ithaca. The building owners would hate to loose money on un-rented units or have to lower their prices to more reasonable rents if the total number of units increased in the area.

So the landlords have convinecd the CC to do nothing except waste taxpayers money which they are good at doing. Problem solved.

Yep. Keep electing and re-electing these democrats. It will not change without getting these folks out of local politics first.
4/8/2009 9:52:26 AM But the last thing these Common Council bureaucrats want to do is eliminate the tight housing market in Ithaca. The building owners would hate to loose money on un-rented units or have to lower their prices to more reasonable rents if the total number of units increased in the area.<br /><br />So the landlords have convinecd the CC to do nothing except waste taxpayers money which they are good at doing. Problem solved.<br /><br />Yep. Keep electing and re-electing these democrats. It will not change without getting these folks out of local politics first. Raptor119
Recommend(1) New post Reply to this Post Report Abuse

SkeltonT wrote:

The political elitists ( too smart for the rest of us, but not smart enough to find a job in the for profit private sector or even find a job at all) have just wasted the taxpayer investment in a consultant who was hired to come in and give an unbiased recommendation. This bombastic rationalization for setting aside the consultants recommendations, has not addressed many of the issues that have frozen Collegetown redevelopment.

If our elitist Common Council and Planning Board doesn't want to allow any change to the status quo: Collegetown or Downtown, then quit wasting our tax money!

The problems of Collegetown won't be fixed with plans that restrict growth or redevelopment. The problems of downtown won't be fixed with just the face lift of the commons. But if the elitists won't agree to change, then don't commit even one dime to plan for something they are not willing to accept.
4/8/2009 7:25:16 AM The political elitists ( too smart for the rest of us, but not smart enough to find a job in the for profit private sector or even find a job at all) have just wasted the taxpayer investment in a consultant who was hired to come in and give an unbiased recommendation. This bombastic rationalization for setting aside the consultants recommendations, has not addressed many of the issues that have frozen Collegetown redevelopment.<br /><br />If our elitist Common Council and Planning Board doesn't want to allow any change to the status quo: Collegetown or Downtown, then quit wasting our tax money!<br /><br />The problems of Collegetown won't be fixed with plans that restrict growth or redevelopment. The problems of downtown won't be fixed with just the face lift of the commons. But if the elitists won't agree to change, then don't commit even one dime to plan for something they are not willing to accept.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 10:00 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Some good news for downtown Ithaca:

From the Ithaca Journal

SIMON WHEELER / Staff Photo

Ithaca City Alderperson Joel Zumoff looks at the largest of the five theaters being constructed for Cinemapolis at the new facility on the ground level of the Green Street Parking Garage during a brief tour Tuesday afternoon. The theater is planning to open in late May. (Buy this photo)

Downtown hotel, condos, stores slated to open soon
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • April 16, 2009

Major downtown construction projects are slated to move forward this year, a sign of Ithaca's relative resilience in troubled economic times, city officials say.

The Hotel Ithaca project at the eastern end of The Commons should break ground this fall, and construction is scheduled to start by summer on the Cayuga Green condominiums between the Cayuga garage and Six Mile Creek, Downtown Ithaca Alliance Executive Director Gary Ferguson said.

This summer should also see the completion and opening of the new Cinemapolis in the ground-floor of the Green Street garage and Urban Outfitters on the ground-floor of the Cayuga Green apartment complex.

Hotel and condos
The $30 million, 100-room Hotel Ithaca project this month received city approval for zoning variances, and Common Council approval to jut several feet over the top of the Green Street garage. It's scheduled to come for site plan review to the Planning and Development Board April 28.

The $12 million, 7-story Cayuga Green luxury apartment/condo project is the last piece of the years-long Cayuga Green downtown development. It already has needed approvals.

Ferguson said when he talks with fellow economic development planners around the state, "they're just green with envy."

"One, we've been planning them for some time so it's not like these are just popping out of the ground. But secondly, while the economy's been rough, this still is a very strong economy relative to other parts of the state, other parts of the country," he said. "I think this malaise, if you will, is worse in a lot of other places and actually makes Ithaca look even more attractive to people."

Bankers still seem to have faith in Ithaca, said Phyllisa DeSarno, deputy director for economic development for the city. This is evidenced by the fact that Cayuga Green developer Ken Schon has retained his financial backing.

"We were all crossing our fingers . . . because so many developers are losing their funding and banks are not going with projects," she said. "But he said it does not look like that's going to be his issue. He is moving ahead."

The Hotel Ithaca was proposed to go up to the limit of 85 feet allowed by zoning, but the project developer received approval to go up an additional 21 feet, in order to enclose the building's heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Under the city's zoning, that kind of equipment is never considered part of a building's height.

"This was a very, very major coup, really," DeSarno said. "We were so thrilled that this happened because it sets a bar now I think for other developers, other builders to do something about mechanicals, which are really such a blight. When you're coming off any of the hills, coming down from Ithaca College or Cornell (University), it's going to be so much more aesthetically nice to have that screening there."

The rooftop enclosure will also include meeting and conference space "to offset the cost of the structure," according to information provided to the city's Board of Zoning Appeals.

Openings
Construction continues on the future homes of Cinemapolis and Urban Outfitters on either side of Green Street.

Cinemapolis is scheduled to open in late May, potentially in conjunction with Ithaca Festival, said Lynne Cohen, one of the executive directors of Seventh Art, which oversees Cinemapolis.

Construction is scheduled to be complete in about a week, then all that will be left is to paint and install seating, projection equipment and refreshment equipment, Cohen said.

"With a little imagination, you can see what the theater's going to look like," she said.

Compared to the existing Cinemapolis theaters in Center Ithaca and at Fall Creek Pictures, the new location will have "fewer seats but better allocated," Cohen said.

Cinemapolis' contract at Fall Creek Pictures runs through the end of this year, but Seventh Art has not yet decided whether they'll continue showing films there once the new location opens, said Rich Szanyi, Cohen's husband and another Seventh Art executive director.

Tsvi Bokaer, founder of Fall Creek Pictures, could not be reached for comment.

Urban Outfitters, which will occupy the eastern half of the ground floor under the Cayuga Green apartments, is on schedule to open July 2, project architect David Levy said by email.

"Now obviously Urban Outfitters will be a big draw and all of the neighbors around Urban Outfitters, including The Commons, will benefit from them being here," DeSarno said.

Ithaca will be the second Upstate New York location for college-age focused Urban Outfitters. The other is in Buffalo.

Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit also plans to rent space on the ground floor of the apartments, and Schon is in discussion with two local small businesses about filling the remaining area, DeSarno said.

"Obviously there are cuts throughout our city and the county in our businesses and in our employers," she said. "But we certainly, like Bob Sweet from National Development Council always says to me, '(Ithaca is) an oasis amongst a muck and mire.' "

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 2:03 PM
Old Fart Forumer

List of Cornell University approved projects:

http://www.fs.cornell.edu/fs/projects/intro.cfm

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 3:51 AM
Old Fart Forumer

It'll be nice to see these buildings refurbished, and the single story replaced with a 5 story.

From the Ithaca Journal

City looks for state money for The Ithaca Commons
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • April 18, 2009

ITHACA - Ithaca city officials are hoping that the same pot of state money that's helping clean up Ithaca Gun could be used to renovate some under-utilized buildings on The Commons.

Ithaca is asking the state for $2.5 million to help rehabilitate three Commons buildings and demolish one - the former Night & Day building.

The Restore NY program through the Empire State Development Corporation is providing $2.3 million of state taxpayer money to help demolish and redevelop the Ithaca Gun factory on East Hill into high-end condos.

With the help of another Restore NY grant, city leaders are hoping the Petrune building, the former Plantation building and the Benchwarmers building can be rehabilitated to make the upper stories available for housing, according to the city's grant application.

In addition, the one-story Night & Day building would be demolished to make way for a five-story mixed-use building, according to the application.
Though the city is requesting $2.5 million from the state, the full project would cost $7 million.

The additional money would come from private developers, not the city, City Clerk Julie Holcomb said.

The state has made $150 million available through the Restore NY program for communities with populations under 40,000, according to Common Council's resolution.

Governor David Paterson announced the Restore NY grant availability in February. In a statement released by his office, Paterson argued that "during difficult and challenging economic times, the innovative Restore New York program will be crucial to rebuilding our economy and launching New York on a path towards full economic recovery."

"This program will revitalize New York's cities, towns and villages by leveraging both public and private funds," Paterson said.

"Municipalities across the State can improve their businesses and community climates to attract industry, commercial enterprises and families to some of our most economically distressed areas."

The Restore NY communities initiative received $300 million from the state Legislature, and this third round of funding will be the program's last, according to the governor's release.

In 2006, 152 municipalities applied for money and 54 received a total of $50 million, according to Empire State Development Corporation spokeswoman Katie Krawczyk.

In 2008, 134 municipalities applied and 64 of them received a total of $100 million, Krawczyk said by e-mail. That included Ithaca's $2.3 million for Ithaca Gun, a grant that was personally announced by then-Governor Eliot Spitzer at City Hall.

Applications are still being accepted from municipalities for the final round, Krawczyk said.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
Old Fart Forumer

City/Town consolidation?
(The city's pop ~ 30,000, the Town, which surrounds the city, has about 20,000)

From the Ithaca Times

Officials reviewing completed city-town consolidation study

Taryn Thompson
Reporter

To consolidate or not to consolidate; that is the question.

It's the hot-button question of the moment for both the Town and City of Ithaca, one that has been toyed with for several years but whose answer might finally come to a head this year. After almost two years of research and analysis, the conclusion is that merging the two entities is nothing more than a complicated issue.

It started several years ago when former Town Supervisor Cathy Valentino approached Mayor Carolyn Peterson, suggesting that it was due time to examine consolidation. The duo decided that the process to - and outcome of - consolidating city and town governments deserved thorough, responsible research, and that the findings should be brought before decision makers.

"They recommended that the town board and city council jointly commission a study to broadly examine the problems and potential gains and barriers to consolidation and or shared services," said Peter Stein, a member of the group and a town councilman. A committee was appointed, consisting of members of the Common Council, members of the town board, and local citizens whom the mayor and supervisor believed would produce a fair and thoughtful report.

Stein said a draft final report was completed in January, but that since then, he had been adding suggestions from the town board and Common Council until the final version was presented to the mayor and Town Supervisor Herb Engman on Monday, April 13 to review. They will schedule a joint meeting of the Common Council and town board in the next few weeks, at which time the report will be released to the public.

The history behind the study is much more complex, mirroring the convoluted intricacies in the union of two intimately connected governments. According to Stein, the report is currently 50 pages in length.

"We tried to identify all of the major issues without the benefit of staff support," Stein said, "so it was difficult for the group to make any detailed analyses of these issues, but essentially, the group has decided that the idea [of consolidation] deserves very serious consideration in more depth than the committee had the ability to do."

The past several months have proven that the town board and Common Council both represent contrasting viewpoints and, at times, contradictory goals.

Committee member Nathan Fawcett discovered a New York state government grant available for individual cases in which cities and towns exhibited an interest in consolidation. The $50,000 High Priority Planning grant would allow the idea to be examined more clearly and was "just what we thought was necessary at the time," Stein said.

The catch was that the deadline landed on March 11 - less than two weeks from the date Fawcett discovered it. Stein teamed up with Fawcett and committee chairman Tom Niderkorn, a local planner, to write the grant proposal. Peterson and Engman having claimed interest in applying, the threesome prepared a draft resolution to present to the Common Council and town board. But the responses varied.

"I brought it to the March 3 meeting of the Town Board and people reacted badly to it," Stein said. "I presented it to see whether people liked the resolution, what their criticisms were, and what changes they wanted me to make."

Stein said the reaction was quite negative toward applying for grant money because town board members argued they hadn't had enough time to thoroughly look through the Consolidation Study Report, the draft of which had only been reviewed by senior members.

"The Town Board had not had a chance to review the joint committee's report, thus was not in a position to assure the state that we were seriously interested in consolidation," Engman said.

The board objected to committing $2,500 to the study - the required match - without further analysis.

Councilwoman Pat Leary is one who is against consolidation. She said that when the study was authorized, the interest was more in shared services - not consolidation. In Leary's opinion, there would be a lot of downside to the latter.

Leary said the city's debt load is much higher than the town's, which could potentially raise the tax rate and lower the bond rating of the combined entity, should the two merge.

She added that the city would continue controlling political decisions if the two consolidated.

"We don't want to turn that power over to a different set of priorities and a different set of needs," she said. "You need a political firewall between the city and the town so that, for example, the city can't take over open spaces in order to expand the tax base. We value open space in town."

Stein said the authors believe while there will be limited cost savings, there may well be substantial economic benefits to residents from a consolidated government.

"A larger Town or City resulting from consolidation might increase the ability to compete for government and foundation funding," Engman said.

However, individual governments have different institutional cultures, he added. "These are very resistant to change and it would be quite difficult to merge the legislative boards and the staffs."

Peterson claimed she has been leaning more toward consolidation than a more simple state of shared services.

"I am interested in looking at the consolidation piece and seeing what it means for the two entities," she said. "I would like us to definitively look over the pros and the cons so the community can have a straightforward document to look at."

Peterson added that the committee's final report will help facilitate decision making.

Engman said that the town board has not taken an official position on consolidation, though he did say the board collectively agrees that shared services would benefit the town.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 1:11 AM
Missing the Gorges

I am a strong advocate of consolidation. There's too much bureaucratic overlap right now, which is what makes the tax burden worse than it should be. But, I know I'm dreaming.

Interesting story concerning the Night and Day building. It's getting rather worn down, and the brick facade isn't all that impressive. To see it replaced would definitely be welcome. I hope they are careful with renovations to the Benchwarmers and Plantations buildings though.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiteur View Post
I am a strong advocate of consolidation. There's too much bureaucratic overlap right now, which is what makes the tax burden worse than it should be. But, I know I'm dreaming.

Interesting story concerning the Night and Day building. It's getting rather worn down, and the brick facade isn't all that impressive. To see it replaced would definitely be welcome. I hope they are careful with renovations to the Benchwarmers and Plantations buildings though.
Is the Night & Day building the one across the Commons from Benchwarmers?
That used to be Whalens Drug Store when I lived in Ithaca. And a 5 story would fit in nicely in that space.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
Old Fart Forumer

A benefit for the Ithaca area is the businesses which spin off of the Cornell University research/development capabilities:

From the ithaca Journal

Ithaca's Widetronix wins new-business contest
From Staff Reports • April 22, 2009

For the third time in as many years, an Ithaca company has won a 12-county contest for the most promising emerging business.

Widetronix, maker of long-life, highly efficient batteries for microelectronic devices, won the New York's Creative Core Emerging Business competition, the Metropolitan Development Association of Syracuse and Central New York announced Tuesday. The award, given by a panel of venture capitalists and investors, comes with a $100,000 cash prize and signifies Widetronix as the region's most innovative and growth-oriented business from 76 companies that applied this year.

The two previous winners of the competition are also from the Ithaca area: e2e Materials, maker of environmentally benign composite materials won in 2007, and Mezmeriz, maker of a high-definition image display small enough to fit into cell phones and similar devices, won in 2008. The contest is open to companies in Cayuga, Cortland, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, Seneca, St. Lawrence and Tompkins counties.

The judges cited Widetronix's business prospects as realistic and obtainable and noted the spin-off potential of its technology in products made by established companies in the region, including Welch Allyn, Lockheed-Martin and Endicott Interconnect, said MDA communications director Kevin Schwab.

Among applications the company cites for its batteries are in cardiac pacemakers, defense uses and logistics, such as radio-frequency identification tags. Other applications the company is working on include electric vehicles, power packs for wind turbines and power conversion units to send power from solar panels back to the electric grid.

Widetronix was started in Cornell University's Wide Bandgap Laboratory and is based at 95 Brown Road near the Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport.

Another Ithaca company was among the five finalists this year. GeneWeave Biosciences was joined by NP&G Innovations of Cazenovia, Symphony Video of Syracuse and Three Brothers Wineries & Estates of Geneva.

The Emerging Business Competition is sponsored by M&T Bank and the New York Business Development Corp.

Two related awards were also announced: Thousand Islands Winery of Alexandria Bay win the new $15,000 prize for Innovations in Agribusiness for a new approach to growing, pruning and harvesting cold-hardy grape varieties. The company also developed a method to cold-stabilize wines using natural cold storage that requires no energy usage and a jacketed heating system that uses only a small hot-water tank to heat outdoor wine tanks.

Caleb Earl of Homer High School won a $5,000 prize for the best business idea submitted by a high school or college student. His idea to create biodegradable fishing lures to reduce their environmental impact when lost in waterways beat out 97 other entrants.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:37 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I don't mean to go overboard on the Collegetown development issue, but I'm still holding out hope that the city will reconsider the plan their contracted study put forth. Here's an article from the Cornell Sun which keeps my hopes up:

Debate Continues Over Collegetown Urban Plan
April 29, 2009 - 12:00am
By Evan Preminger

The City of Ithaca Planning and Development Board held a public meeting yesterday at City Hall to address concerns over the proposed rezoning plans for Collegetown. The plan, known as Part One of the 2009 Collegetown Urban Plan and Conceptual Design Guidelines, offers a number of revisions to the current zoning of Collegetown, including raising height limits in central districts, improving access and the price of parking and increasing mixed-use development. In addition, there are a number of proposed changes to the maximum heights and lot capacity in all of Collegetown’s residential districts. These plans have been met with criticism from a number of members of the Ithaca community.

“We’re moving from 25 to 35 percent to 75 to 85 percent lot coverage while still maintaining the same kind of form for the houses with pitched roofs and front porches in a number of these areas,” Anne Clavel, J.D. ’77, said in response to the proposed revisions to maximum occupancy and lot coverage. “We are planning on tripling the density [to] the area of Bryant and Elmwood, which would drastically impact life for its residents.”

The proposed changes would increase the permitted amount of building on each lot, thereby increasing the maximum occupancy for homes. This is seen by many residents as favoring development trends toward students who tend to occupy less space than family residents.

“To understand what it is like to have students living on a road versus single families, just look at the unshoveled and unwalkable sidewalks during the winter. There are broken bottles and plastic cups in the yards from the parties and it is difficult to park because there are so many cars,” said Betsy Darlington, a resident of a neighborhood adjacent to areas where density is being increased. “If the increase in allowable density happens, the few single [family] homes left will become student housing, and with so many more students the place will be destroyed.”

In addition to the impact on the quality of life in the affected neighborhoods, many critics fear the aesthetic impact of the proposed increases in building heights while others are hopeful for the visual impact.

“The new maximum height limits for Linden and higher up on Dryden cannot be supported by the current width of the street,” said Susan Blumenthal MRP ’78, former member of the Planning Board and the Common Council. “The proposed heights would allow the canyon seen in the 100 block on Dryden to be replicated elsewhere.”

At the same time, however, many, citing the potential financial benefits of high-density development, saw the plan as not going far enough to increase the density of Collegetown.“The development of higher density apartments and townhouse units is, in many ways, more cost effective for single families than the large homes which are often difficult for families to move into and typically fall into disarray with student tenants,” Michael Fraker said. “New development would also generate a large increase in tax revenue with a four-unit townhouse on a lot currently occupied by a single house generating an additional $27,000 per year. This money could be put to good use by the city and could help alleviate the tax burden for everyone.”

Others spoke of the environmental benefit of the higher density housing, proposing increases to the current plan’s limitations.

“Cities like Portland, Oregon and Madison, Wisconsin are implementing plans where development around transit lines is subsidized and encouraged by the government in an effort to reduce the use of cars and limit greenhouse gas emissions,” said Josh Lower ’05, a Collegetown landowner. “I am proposing a transit overlay zone for higher density in the 1000 feet surrounding the hub of College and Dryden, a corner where both the TCAT buses and the various other busses that come to Cornell stop, rather than the current provisions which advocate a decrease in density in this area.”

Another key issue highlighted was the benefit to students who could take advantage of the increased availability of housing.

“Graduate students are, in many ways, near-permanent residents of the area, staying here year round for as long as five or six years. Currently, many of us are living outside of the city despite having the desire to live in the Collegetown area,” said Ed Strong grad, a representative for graduate students in the University Assembly.

No final decision has been reached concerning the new zoning requirements of Collegetown with further discussion scheduled for the coming weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 10:24 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Looks like the old hood is getting denser:

From the Ithaca Journal

SIMON WHEELER / Staff Photo

801 E. State St., left, and houses in the 700 block on the south side of East State Street comprise a section of the street whose ownership is now listed as Collegetown Terrace Apartments LLC. The project is scheduled for review by the city of Ithaca's Planning and Development Board. (Buy this photo)

Collegetown project could add 600 beds
Developer unveils plan for project
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • April 29, 2009

The Collegetown Terrace Apartment project would remove almost all buildings in the area bounded by Valentine Place, East State Street, Quarry Street and Six Mile Creek, and replace them with 1,100 new rental beds.

Developer John Novarr presented plans for the massive, 16-acre project at Tuesday night's city Planning and Development Board meeting.

The historically designated Quarry Arms, Casa Roma and Boiler Works Apartments buildings would remain on the site, said Kathryn Wolf, principal with Trowbridge & Wolf. Every other building on the site would be removed, she said.

The area now houses 650 rental beds, and when completed, there would be 1,250 beds and 820 parking spaces, Novarr said.

Novarr explained his long history with East Hill, beginning with growing up in Collegetown, to his purchase of land from Ithaca College in 1982, to his decision in the last couple years to buy the last 14 properties in the site area.

Novarr said that by 2007, he had already purchased several properties on the 800 block of East State Street and planned to begin re-developing them into apartments when the city's Collegetown moratorium went into effect.

The year-and-a-half moratorium forced him to think about long-term planning, resulting in the Collegetown Terrace Apartments concept, Novarr said.

The project will meet the four-story height limit required by zoning on East State Street, but the developer will seek height variances to allow taller buildings as the land slopes downward toward Six Mile Creek, Wolf said.

The project would "meet or exceed" existing parking requirements, she said.

Parking would be placed in one or two stories on the ground floor, with apartments above, based on drawings presented to the planning board.

Above-ground pedestrian walkways would connect some of the buildings.

The project will come before the Planning Board again in May.

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Apr 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I know the west end traffic bottleneck (The old Octupus) is a big headache, but the developments aren't going to stop. There has to be a solution to traffic issue which will deaden the nimby's arguement against more west hill projects.

From the Ithaca Journal

Planning board lukewarm on West Hill development goal
Study calls for cluster of residential, commercial buildings near hospital
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • May 6, 2009

After debating the impact of increased West Hill traffic and the need for more housing in Tompkins County, Ithaca's Town Planning Board compromised Tuesday night on a resolution that acknowledges the Route 96 corridor management study but falls short of endorsing it.

The study, which encourages dense development in a half-mile radius around Cayuga Medical Center, is a joint venture of the City of Ithaca, Towns of Ithaca and Ulysses, Tompkins County, and the Ithaca Tompkins County Transportation Council.

The board unanimously approved a resolution supporting the study, but only after stripping out recommendations that the town "utilize" and "incorporate" the study's principles, and instead suggesting that planners "consider" them.

The idea behind the study is to cluster development into nodes to create a population density sufficient to attract small-scale commercial development and mass transit, similar to the way villages were established before cars, said Town Planning Director Jonathan Kanter. The study also recommends reducing allowable development density outside the node, to prevent sprawl and protect environmentally sensitive areas, he said.

Board member Kevin Talty argued that a Route 96 node will just result in more people driving down through the city and out to Cornell and Ithaca College, so nodes should more appropriately be located near those destinations.

"I'm all for nodal development. I just don't believe West Hill is the right spot for it," Talty said.

But a county housing study determined that Tompkins County needs 4,000 additional housing units by 2014, which means many areas will have to accommodate new development, board member Hollis Erb responded.

Development on West Hill will occur and traffic will increase regardless, but the Route 96 study found that nodal developments decrease single-occupancy vehicle trips by 14 percent relative to standard developments, she said.

"You can call it the lesser of two evils," Erb said.

During the public comment period, Town Board member Rich DePaolo urged the board to consider the Route 96 study in context with other West Hill development.

Carrowmoor is proposed as a high-end, zero-carbon nodal development on Route 79 with up to 400 units. The Holochuck Homes subdivision would have 100 units between Routes 96 and 89.

Last month, a group of West Hill residents submitted a letter to the Town Board asking for a moratorium on West Hill development until the town completes its comprehensive plan.

Board member George Conneman referred to the letter several times in arguing that the town shouldn't endorse the Route 96 study before finishing its comprehensive plan.

Kanter said that based on current zoning, developers could build more units than proposed in the study.

"If the question is are these properties going to develop anyway, regardless of what we do. I think the answer is yes," Kanter said. "It's just a matter of how long it'll take."

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 1:58 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Another article about West Hill development (from the Ithaca Times)

West Hill residents want development moratorium

Taryn Thompson
Reporter

Considering an expected population explosion in the coming decade, city and town officials recommend high-density nodal development along Route 96 heading toward West Hill, the last undeveloped area in the Town of Ithaca.

But until the town's comprehensive plan is complete, West Hill residents disagree on the best way to move forward.

"I'm glad people are saying moratorium," said Andrejs Ozolin, a West Hill resident who wants the town to proceed with caution. "I'd like them to stop, and I'd like them to think very carefully about our next step."

Ozolin is in full support of the theory behind nodal development, but he doesn't think the current plan under discussion would work.

"We're developing our future for the next 50 years, but we're not at all reflecting on our best knowledge, which is that all of our services should be within walking distance of the maximum number of people. There is no way these little nodes are going to be self-sufficient," he said.

"They'll have a gas station and maybe a supermarket, but that can't serve everyone. For lawyers, doctors, movies, and everything else, they'll go downtown, so it's not going to improve transportation."

In order for the theory to manifest properly, Ozolin said, it would require different behavior from people.

"We learned how to live in the world when gas was cheap and cars were normal and we didn't have to think about public transportation. There's all the history that brought us suburbs and lawns and sprawl, and now we think it's normal and that it's always been like that," he said.

"So when someone comes along and says we have to think about how we live, it doesn't matter if you tell them world is coming to an end, people want to face that end with their little yard and lawnmower."

Whether or not the town decides to pursue nodal development, Ozolin added, Americans will continue to build houses with big, personal lawns on several acres.

However, according to George Frantz, a local planner, West Hill was designated as a growth area dating back to the early 1990s. Frantz, a neighbor of Ozolin, owns a private practice in land use and municipal planning and teaches planning courses at Cornell University.

"West Hill, closer to the City off of routes 79 and 96, was determined to be the best place for future growth in the town," Frantz said.

The primary reason for this, he said, is the fact that East Hill was essentially built out and that South Hill has too many wetland areas and too many significant open space resources. Alternative routes off of South Hill are also limited, especially at the bottom of the hill on Aurora Street, which has some of the highest traffic volumes in the City, Frantz said.

"That was all looked at when the town put together its comprehensive plan in 1993," he said. "I helped write that comprehensive plan, and that was the appropriate decision at the time.

"One of things the plan recommended was higher density closer into the city and very low densities further out to protect agricultural land and significant open space," Frantz added. "The objective of plan was to get as many people as possible living as close to the city as possible."

But Frantz questions the concept of nodal development, suggesting instead that the town of Ithaca should simply increase residential density closer to city limits.

"The lack of density really throughout Tompkins County and in some cases in the city is the biggest obstacle to having a really effective public transit system, to having options other than the automobile," he said. "The source of sprawl is low-density residential development. There's no reason why the town can't have higher-density zoning, but the town is zoned for sprawl."

Another West Hill resident, Marie Harkins, is concerned about support for nodal development before the Town's comprehensive plan is updated.

"You'd want to have sidewalks and ways to control speed like traffic circles, but I haven't seen a real draft of a plan that talks about how it's going to look," she said.

"One of the limitations of the town is that it's like a donut around the city. We have different needs from people in the South and in the East," Harkins added.

"It's a diverse group of a lot of local issues circling around Ithaca, and the comprehensive plan is supposed to get input from citizens and working groups on where they want to see the town go."

Harkins said the comprehensive plan is supposed to guide zoning.

"I'm not anti-development, but until the comprehensive plan is in place, we really need to stop rezoning agricultural lands for development and ask them to slow down."

Aside from infrastructure changes, Harkins added, the town still needs to respond to future traffic influx.

"They still haven't addressed they they'd prevent increased traffic," she said. "When you get into the city is when you have limitations to what you can do to the roads. They talk about employment centers like the hospital, but not about stores or places to get food other than gas stations. None of that is outlined."

Harkins said people would still be driving to get to grocery stores and other retail outlets.

"My big concern is that if they change zoning based on this conceptual node to increase development, it's really just sprawl - the thing they say they want to avoid," she said. "I want to know how much the upgrades will cost. It's got to be outrageously expensive."

Ozolin proposes getting outside advice and warns against making decisions based on instinct.

"If we talk nodal, we're talking a fantasy which makes the clock keep ticking while important decisions are being made," he said. "And if I can't walk to it, nodal development is just another form of sprawl."

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 5:04 PM
Old Fart Forumer

A couple of bad news articles (both from the Ithaca Journal) regarding Tompkins County:

The East Clinton Street bridge, which carries Route 96B over Six Mile Creek, is a high-traffic bridge on the priority list to be repaired. Built in 1942, the steel bridge is rated a 3.8 on the state's 1-to-7 rating scale. The federal designation of the bridge is "structurally deficient," the worst federal rating possible. (Buy this photo)

Tompkins County bridges rank lowest in Southern Tier
Situation neither dangerous nor dire, officials say
By Tim Ashmore • tashmore@gannett.com • Staff Writer • May 9, 2009

Bridges in Tompkins County scored lower in the state rating system than in the any other county in the region, according to a database from New York Department of Transportation ratings.

The low ratings may be concerning, but it doesn't mean area bridges are in dire need of repair, Tompkins officials said.

"Just because a bridge is ranked as deficient doesn't meant that it's dangerous or about to fall," said Fernando de Aragon, director of the Ithaca-Tompkins Transportation Council. "When bridges are a danger they get closed or they get fixed. In my time here, 11 years, we've had a couple of occasions where we've taken money from other projects to fix a bridge that was getting dangerous."

Two Tompkins bridges rank in the 10 worst-rated bridges in the nine-county region comprising the Southern Tier, which include Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga and Tompkins counties.

Of 194 bridges throughout Tompkins, nearly 11 percent scored lower than a four on the state's seven-point inspection scale. One bridge, a span that crosses Fall Creek on Groton City Road, was ranked lower than a three.

More than 40 percent of Tompkins' bridges have a negative rating, de Aragon said. Four of those low-rated bridges have high-volume traffic, and each are scheduled for repair in the near future.

Those bridges are:

* The steel bridge near the Ithaca Police Department on E. Clinton Street over Six Mile Creek Route 96B;

* A Route 13 bridge that crosses Fall Creek in the Town of Dryden near the Ithaca-Tompkins Regional Airport;

* A Route 13 bridge that crosses Carter Creek near the Schuyler County line, in the town of Newfield;

* A bridge on Etna Road that crosses a minor stream.

The Ithaca-Tompkins County Transportation Council monitors area bridges so recommendations can be made to the state for funding. When it comes to priorities, it becomes something of a funding shell game.

Several years ago when the Stewart Avenue bridge over Fall Creek near Ithaca Falls bordered on dangerous, money was taken from a low-priority project to fund repairs.

"At no time was anybody in danger," de Aragon said. "The system worked. That's a very critical bridge, so we found the money."

Region-wide, officials report a growing number of bridges reaching the end of their useful lives. Much of the aging infrastructure was built either in the 1930s or in the 1960s and 1970s. Based on typical 50-year bridge life, many need upgrades or replacement.

"The expected useful life (of bridges) are all coming due at the same time, and that's when we start prioritizing," said Michelle Clark, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation in Region 3.

When President Dwight Eisenhower invested millions into the national infrastructure, it was primarily to establish the interstate system, a program that largely excludes Ithaca and Tompkins. Route 13 is the only highway in Tompkins that's part of the national highway system. Remaining state roads like routes 96, 89 and 79 are considered secondary routes, which were built primarily in the 1930s, Clark said.

In Ithaca, student and tourism traffic are high year round, but more damaging to bridges than regular traffic is the volume of trucks, which nearly always are making local stops, de Aragon said.

"Something like 97 percent of the trucks were here for a reason," he said, talking specifically about road and bridge damage as opposed to noise and quality of life issues. "They were here to deliver something or pick up something locally. The idea we have a lot of pass-through traffic doesn't carry a lot a lot of water.

"This is how we, meaning as a nation, have structured our transportation system. We also happen to have a lot of state roads that cut through our county and Ithaca is at the crossroads of just about all of them, and that creates a situation where a lot of traffic that cuts through the city. But the state roads are made to handle the trucks."

A repeated theme in interviews with state and local officials was that there isn't enough money to fix all the bridges that need attention. That means the state and the county need to prioritize bridges based on cost-benefit analyses that include traffic volume, and total costs.

"The state's good about applying the money," de Aragon said. "They're not going to use small urban money for Route 13 if they can use National Highway Assistance money. You leave the other money for other projects."

To keep bridges open, money can be shifted, or large-scale replacements are avoided by performing smaller scale maintenance.

"Instead of going with big capital projects that will replace the bridge," said John Lampman, a county highway engineer, "what we're doing is trying to use our bridge crew in-house as well as try to do the repairs that we need to do on an as-they-arise basis as well as doing preventative maintenance (such as) washing the bridges."

Continental to end airline flights from Ithaca to Newark
By Tim Ashmore • tashmore@gannett.com • Staff Writer • May 9, 2009

Continental Airlines plans to end its flights between the Ithaca-Tompkins Regional Airport and Newark, N.J. effective June 11, though local airport and elected officials say they will fight the move.

Ithaca-Tompkins airport manager Bob Nicholas called Continental's decision, "shocking."

"Despite encouraging growth and some really positive passenger numbers over the past two months, general air traffic congestion in Newark has been causing some major headaches for Continental," Nicholas said. "While I understand the need to try to ease this congestion by thinning out the number of operations in Newark, we feel there are ways to achieve their objective while preserving air service to Ithaca."

Continental began serving Ithaca with Continental Connection carrier Commute Air flights last October. Revenue from those flights was the lone bright spot for Tompkins County in a March economic activity report by Ithaca College economics professor Elia Kacapyr.

"The first thing that comes to mind is the enthusiasm we have with the (New York) Jets (NFL football team) coming to Cortland" for training camp this summer and the tourism associated with that, Kacapyr said, adding that Continental may have overlooked that point.

County Administrator Joe Mareane pointed out recently that strong enplanement numbers in an area such as Ithaca typically indicate business activity.

Flight capacity grew from 66 percent for four daily flights in March to 72 percent in April.

Ithaca is the only airport in the Ithaca, Elmira and Binghamton region with air service to metropolitan New York.

"I think we've been drawing people up from Elmira and Binghamton for Newark service, not because they want to go to Newark, but because of the international ... and domestic connections from the Continental network," Nicholas said.

Despite the recent announcement, Nicholas and New York's federal senators, Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said they will continue fighting to keep the flights.

"The first thing I did was to call people in Continental I know to talk to them about it," Nicholas said. "I'm not sure that they have looked at this market as closely as they should have ..."

Chairman of the Tompkins County Air Service Board Larry Baum noted that many travelers to Newark use the international service from Newark, which makes the airfares high-yield tickets for Continental.

Congestion problems in Newark are on the brink of unbearable, observers said. Nicholas said he recently flew out of there, and that his flight boarded on-time but didn't take off for an hour. His plane was 41st in line to take off.

The Ithaca airport still connects to international hubs in Philadelphia and Detroit. It also has four flights to LaGuardia in New York City, which connects almost entirely to domestic flights.

Here's a TV vid link about Continental ceasing service:

http://news10now.com/content/top_sto...e/Default.aspx

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 3:51 PM
Old Fart Forumer

An Ithaca Journal article on consolidation. The city sounds like they're for it, but the Town of Ithaca citizens are probably not going to go for it.

Group endorses 'Greater Ithaca' proposal
Plan would consolidate city, town, village
By Krisy Gashler • kgashler@gannett.com • Staff Writer • May 11, 2009

A joint city/town study group recommends that the City of Ithaca, Town of Ithaca and Village of Cayuga Heights seriously consider consolidating into one municipal entity.

The report is the result of almost two years of study by a committee of nine people, including one elected member each from the Town Board and Common Council. Cayuga Heights declined to participate.

The common arguments for consolidation include increased efficiency and lower property taxes in the long run, increased services for town residents, integrated planning and more equitable sharing of social responsibility, according to the report.

The arguments against include the fact that the town's property taxes would rise while the city's would fall, Cayuga Heights has a strong village identity, municipal staff and their unions would likely oppose a merger, and some measure of local control would be lost.

Alderwoman Mary Tomlan, D-3rd, said she couldn't comment on the report because committee members had agreed not to talk publicly about it until it's presented to the municipal bodies. Calls to three other committee members were not returned Friday.

Based on a projection of the property tax burden in a consolidated "Greater Ithaca," assuming no efficiency savings and pooling all the municipalities' debt, a city taxpayer with a $200,000 home would see taxes go down 10.6 percent or $809 per year.

The town taxpayer would see a 12.8 percent or $779 increase, and the villager a 4.6 percent or $303 increase.

The group's report is blunt in assessing how this news is likely to go over.

"We think it is likely that under this scenario, the substantial increase in Town/Village taxes and decrease in City taxes would overshadow all other considerations, and the consolidation would be seen simply as a subsidy of City taxpayers by Town/Village taxpayers. Were this to be the common perception, consolidation would have virtually no chance of becoming a reality," it states.

However, with increased efficiency, equitable changes to the sales tax distribution, increases in state aid to a larger municipality, and - probably most important from a political standpoint - requiring each municipality to pay its own existing debt rather than pooling it, village taxes would actually go down more than the city's.

City taxes would go down 5.3 percent, village taxes would go down 7 percent, but town taxes would still rise 2.4 percent

That increase may be worth it to town taxpayers, if they could enjoy the level of protection afforded to city and village residents through their independent police departments, according to the report. The town is currently protected by the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office, and town residents frequently complain that they want more enforcement of such things as speeding and parking regulations, it states.

The report also notes inherent inequalities in the current setup, which cause the city to bear a larger burden than it perhaps should.

For example, city taxpayers must pay to maintain all bridges within the city. Bridges in the town, and elsewhere in Tompkins County, are primarily maintained by the county (city taxpayers get no break on county taxes).

The differences in income and poverty levels between the municipalities may also encourage town and village residents to consider a solution "that may not be in their own financial interest," according to the report.

The median family income in the city is $42,000, and its poverty rate is 13.5 percent.

In the town, it's $68,000 and 4.2 percent.

In the village, it's $123,000 and 1.5 percent.

"Many of these residents think of themselves as socially conscious individuals and support progressive causes and solutions. Whether those inclinations will play a role in their willingness to support consolidation can only be known when the idea enters the local public debate," the committee wrote.

But there's also the issue of politics.

Both the city and town are overwhelmingly Democratic - neither the Town Board nor Common Council has had a Republican member in nearly 20 years, according to the report.

Even so, city residents would wield five votes to the town's three in a consolidation, and some town residents could fear that "consolidation would lead to a legislature that would simply use Town resources to fund City projects and address City needs," the report states.

The city's debt burden exacerbates these concerns: Outstanding city debt per dollar of taxable assessed value is 10 times the town's and 8 times the village's, according to the report.

Committee members wrote that they began the process with widely different opinions on the value of consolidation, but their "initial skepticism about the feasibility and possible benefits of consolidation slowly evolved into a unanimous belief that its rewards were potentially substantial and that for national as well as local reasons this moment was unique and the opportunity it presents must not be allowed to slip by."

EDIT: Here's a TV report on the consolidation:

http://news10now.com/content/top_sto...n/Default.aspx

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; May 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast