HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:45 PM

Yeah, I really hope that the street facing retail kickstarts the redevelopment of city parkway as a whole. Didn't they want that to be our Granville street when the initial City Center plans were released? I think this could be the thing that starts that.

Also, maybe i'm missing something, but what is the point of market street? It just seems like a separate pedestrian only path in the middle of a pedestrian only plaza, so I can't really see the use in it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 12:07 AM

Markstreet is a road for cars to get to the underground parking

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 12:50 AM

Am I the only one who's just a tad disappointed with design of the tower? Don't get me wrong - I love the location, mixed-use concept, and height, but for me it lacks something special that sets it apart from just an ordinary-yet-handsome curtain wall tower. The existing Central City tower seems to be a far more distinguished design

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:28 PM

Yah my model is not perfect. Built it in about 45 minutes. The height of the model I did is a bit too high. Still a very big tower. I may rebuild it later when I have the time if I could get some better floor plans especially of the commercial.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:35 PM

Well here something for your google earth you can have a little fun with it. I found it the other day and thought I'd share it with anyone who wants the model for google earth.

Its the model of the tower from the pictures

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...1ed2b6&ct=mdsa

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:31 AM

because i could now heres a few more images I took using the models i have in google earth lol

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:46 PM

Nice, didn't think it would look that tall compared to the rest. Hopefully it (along with Sovereign) sets a president for taller towers in the suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:35 PM

Looks like it'll be taller than even the Central tower. Should make a great addition to our skyline.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
because i could now heres a few more images I took using the models i have in google earth lol

Do you have a place that we can download these into Google Earth?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:14 AM

Yeah I put them up on google 3d warehouse

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
Looks like it'll be taller than even the Central tower. Should make a great addition to our skyline.
This is 50 meters taller than Central City. It will dwarf it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
This is 50 meters taller than Central City. It will dwarf it.
I must have it. It will be mine!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 12:17 AM

You can follow the development process here

http://developers.surrey.ca/AMANDA5/...Number=11-0334

This link also gives more info on when they are applying for permits: http://www.biv.com/article/20120326/...s-design-panel

The development group, which includes Century Group, Surrey City Development Corp. and Cotter Architects, will now tweak designs and apply to Surrey city council for rezoning and a development permit June 11, Surrey’s general manager of planning and development Jean Lamontagne told Business in Vancouver Friday.

“They have passed the advisory design panel, which is a peer review where architects make suggestions,” Lamontagne said.

“If city council likes the proposal in June, they will likely grant first and second reading and then schedule public hearings, which will be around June 25.”

Based on this I wonder if they will be able to break ground on this by the end of the year?

Last edited by Diet Butcher; May 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Butcher View Post
You can follow the development process here

http://developers.surrey.ca/AMANDA5/...Number=11-0334

This link also gives more info on when they are applying for permits: http://www.biv.com/article/20120326/...s-design-panel

The development group, which includes Century Group, Surrey City Development Corp. and Cotter Architects, will now tweak designs and apply to Surrey city council for rezoning and a development permit June 11, Surrey’s general manager of planning and development Jean Lamontagne told Business in Vancouver Friday.

“They have passed the advisory design panel, which is a peer review where architects make suggestions,” Lamontagne said.

“If city council likes the proposal in June, they will likely grant first and second reading and then schedule public hearings, which will be around June 25.”

Based on this I wonder if they will be able to break ground on this by the end of the year?
Doubt it. I've followed a lot of projects not just in Surrey and typically after Final Adoption (after third reading) it is about 6 months minimum before a building either breaks ground or goes on sale. I have really not seen any projects less than this timeline of this scale.

So given it will just go to council June 11th, you'd be looking even if rushed and plans don't take long to go back and fourth, probably until September/October before things are finalized. That would put the start of construction into Spring -> Summer of 2013. I do believe at one stage they did say it would be around Summer of 2013 when they broke ground, so that lines up.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:21 AM

A few things have now been changed from early on this tower
the hotel is now 2 floors smaller.
the podium has also been changed a bit and brought out more into the plaza area
a few more things inside have also been changed around
here some of the new photos of with the changes

Heres a side by side of new and old renders

Last edited by Whalleyboy; May 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:42 AM

Thanks for posting these detailed renderings. It's looking good. Any idea when this will proceed to Council for approval?

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 5:41 AM
Mac User

Looks amazing, really hope it gets built! The Central City area needs more high-rise development so I'm glad to see it's coming. The views from this tower should be intense especially any northwest facing units, which should have a distant view of downtown.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:06 PM

Love the design updates and the significantly-improved podium. I'm warming up to this one

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:15 PM

I like this one, all except the funny, irregular, wedge-shaped windows. Someone once called the Chateau Champlain the "giant cheese grater." Maybe so, but its windows are symmetric. These are just a bit too off-beat, without really making a design statement, other than a departure from the standard vertical/horizontal overall (and very pleasing) shape of the rest of the building.
I would make those windows more in keeping with each other. Otherwise, this project seems great.
Maybe I'm reacting because there are high-rise tenement buildings just west of Paris, in Nanterre, with windows that are almost like the ones here.
I would just prefer something a little more symmetric and harmonious done with them, that's all. But keep it original, for sure.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:09 PM

I kinda liked the original podium better...the new one, it looks like it's supposed to "respond" to the design of City Hall? I don't know why that's necessary. Looks a bit cluttered IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley