HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:09 PM

http://oxblue.com/open/1775TysonsBoulevard is a webcam showing 1775 Tysons Boulevard where work seems to have been halted.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:25 PM

I drove through Tysons yesterday on the Beltway and it looked like the HOT lanes are nearing completion. I'd guess that they are six months away from opening, certainly less than a year.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:57 PM

I rode my bike out to Reston a few weeks ago and took this photo of the Block 16 development. Nearly 360 residential units and 30,000 square feet of retail space is planned: http://www.asaretail.com/properties/...n-town-center# .

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:08 PM

Joe H:
Quote:
Today, I share a similar excitement for Reston where like Silver Spring and Bethesda there is a very walkable downtown. In fact Reston has a European center with a bandstand/ice rink that is an anchor to pull people into it especially on weekends.

Tysons does not. It is for me and perhaps others a wasteland. I've read through this thread and driven every block of every planned project, shaking my head at what some think will work there. You cannot walk anywhere. You can't. What will and has worked in Silver Spring and Bethesda and Reston Town Center isn't in place for Tysons. Some want a sixty, eighty story building, others rave in support of the three Macerich buildings going up adjacent to Lord and Taylor-but where will people walk? When you "land" in Tysons on the Metro, if you want to walk to the Ritz or the Marriott, exactly how do you do this? If I have a suitcase how am I going to get from the Metro to either?

Until this question is answered I am a bit dismayed with Fairfax County: nobody has exactly explained the mechanics of living at Tysons. It is NOT Ballston, it's not Clarendon nor Bethesda nor Silver Spring. It's Tysons Corner: a suburban area with islands of office buildings separated by acres of parking that would scare the hell out of my grandmother or grandfather from walking between them.

Until somebody goes into a bit of detail for how this new downtown is going to work, I cannot help but question its future growth. I don't think this has been properly thought through.

Reston Town Center and the others I've mentioned above, yes. But Tysons is a huge, for me, wasteland seemingly intent on a nightmarish next phase that Fairfax is committed to delivering. I am only questioning how people will live and work there? I think not an insignificant question.
First, welcome to this forum. I don't disagree with you about the challenges for Tysons but I Fairfax County is planning (or at least hoping) for various improvments that will improve mobility and the pedestrian experience, including Circulator-type buses. Greater Greater Washington has written about this a few years ago.

The last mile in Tysons Corner, part 1: The problem
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...1-the-problem/

The last mile in Tysons Corner, part 2: Busways
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...art-2-busways/

Both Fairfax and Virginia, however, made a great mistake by not building Metro underground through Tysons. Yes, it would have cost more but this rail investment will be here for at least 50-75 years. This is a significant long-term investment.

I agree with your assessment of Reston. It is very enjoyable and much of Reston is walkable. There is great potential for this area to be even better with the metro extension to Wiele Avenue and the Reston Town Center.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
I must add to the above since it is my first post on this board: I grew up in Silver Spring (Blair '64) and in the '80's would drive around Wayne Avenue and the Metro excited at any project that was planned. I would drive to the top of a parking garage and imagine what a 10, 14, 20 story building would do to the skyline and was thrilled at what could be built in my hometown.

I moved to Reston in '88.

Today, I share a similar excitement for Reston where like Silver Spring and Bethesda there is a very walkable downtown. In fact Reston has a European center with a bandstand/ice rink that is an anchor to pull people into it especially on weekends.

Tysons does not. It is for me and perhaps others a wasteland. I've read through this thread and driven every block of every planned project, shaking my head at what some think will work there. You cannot walk anywhere. You can't. What will and has worked in Silver Spring and Bethesda and Reston Town Center isn't in place for Tysons. Some want a sixty, eighty story building, others rave in support of the three Macerich buildings going up adjacent to Lord and Taylor-but where will people walk? When you "land" in Tysons on the Metro, if you want to walk to the Ritz or the Marriott, exactly how do you do this? If I have a suitcase how am I going to get from the Metro to either?

Until this question is answered I am a bit dismayed with Fairfax County: nobody has exactly explained the mechanics of living at Tysons. It is NOT Ballston, it's not Clarendon nor Bethesda nor Silver Spring. It's Tysons Corner: a suburban area with islands of office buildings separated by acres of parking that would scare the hell out of my grandmother or grandfather from walking between them.

Until somebody goes into a bit of detail for how this new downtown is going to work, I cannot help but question its future growth. I don't think this has been properly thought through.

Reston Town Center and the others I've mentioned above, yes. But Tysons is a huge, for me, wasteland seemingly intent on a nightmarish next phase that Fairfax is committed to delivering. I am only questioning how people will live and work there? I think not an insignificant question.
I used to live across the street from the RTC. It gets old, fast. It's nice for suburban Fairfax but it's not some exciting place. I think people go there because there's not alot of interesting places in Fairfax county. Where do you go to people watch if you don't want to walk around in a mall?

And I agree on Tysons. That place is a mess. I don't care how many high rise condos they put up. What are you going to walk to? They should tear down 75% of it and start over.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Joe H:

First, welcome to this forum. I don't disagree with you about the challenges for Tysons but I Fairfax County is planning (or at least hoping) for various improvments that will improve mobility and the pedestrian experience, including Circulator-type buses. Greater Greater Washington has written about this a few years ago.

The last mile in Tysons Corner, part 1: The problem
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...1-the-problem/

The last mile in Tysons Corner, part 2: Busways
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...art-2-busways/

Both Fairfax and Virginia, however, made a great mistake by not building Metro underground through Tysons. Yes, it would have cost more but this rail investment will be here for at least 50-75 years. This is a significant long-term investment.

I agree with your assessment of Reston. It is very enjoyable and much of Reston is walkable. There is great potential for this area to be even better with the metro extension to Wiele Avenue and the Reston Town Center.
I was raised in Reston. Much of it is walkable? Compared to what? It's a bunch of townhouse/condo/apt developments cul de sacs that are a good hike to even the smallest shopping center. What are you going to walk to? Lake Anne Plaza with it's tiny group of small restaurants and little businesses?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:09 PM

LA21st:
Quote:
I was raised in Reston. Much of it is walkable? Compared to what? It's a bunch of townhouse/condo/apt developments cul de sacs that are a good hike to even the smallest shopping center. What are you going to walk to? Lake Anne Plaza with it's tiny group of small restaurants and little businesses?
Admittedly it's not Logan or Dupont Circle, but yes, I think much of Reston is walkable. The Reston Town Center is certainly walkable. Chris Leinberger from Brookings had an op-ed in the New York Times last weekend where he also described the Restn Town Center as a walkable location: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/op...ent-place.html

Lake Anne is limited but walkable and there are plans for infill develpment there. The W&OD bike trail goes right through Reston. Much of Reston is also connected by various foot paths and bike paths.

There is also significant infill development planned both across the street from the Town Center and along Reston Parkway (see the previous page on this thread for plans for a 24-story office building).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
LA21st:

Admittedly it's not Logan or Dupont Circle, but yes, I think much of Reston is walkable. The Reston Town Center is certainly walkable. Chris Leinberger from Brookings had an op-ed in the New York Times last weekend where he also described the Restn Town Center as a walkable location: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/op...ent-place.html

Lake Anne is limited but walkable and there are plans for infill develpment there. The W&OD bike trail goes right through Reston. Much of Reston is also connected by various foot paths and bike paths.

There is also significant infill development planned both across the street from the Town Center and along Reston Parkway (see the previous page on this thread for plans for a 24-story office building).
Yea, I used to walk on the bike paths all the time. You were lucky if you saw ten people for a mile. I just pointed out Lake Anne as one example. I lived near Hunter Woods shopping center as a kid. It was the only shopping we could walk to...and the retail was very, very limited. Later on, we moved to North Point area off Reston Pkwy. We had the North Point strip mall. Again, only retail we could walk to under a mile.

As a whole, Reston is very suburban. If you need something, most likely you have to drive to get it. To me, that's not walkable.

RTC is a nice development for Fairfax County/suburb.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, I used to walk on the bike paths all the time. You were lucky if you saw ten people for a mile. I just pointed out Lake Anne as one example. I lived near Hunter Woods shopping center as a kid. It was the only shopping we could walk to...and the retail was very, very limited. Later on, we moved to North Point area off Reston Pkwy. We had the North Point strip mall. Again, only retail we could walk to under a mile.

As a whole, Reston is very suburban. If you need something, most likely you have to drive to get it. To me, that's not walkable.

RTC is a nice development for Fairfax County/suburb.
I think north Reston and south Reston on the other side of the Toll Road are pretty different. Again, I'm not saying this is anything like Dupont Circle but you have the Town Center, the North Point shopping area you mentioned, Lake Anne, the shopping area off of Sunset Hills Road. Admittedly, most of the roads are suburban 4-6 lanes wide but there are still plenty of sidewalks and bike paths connnecting these destinations and they are mostly 1/3 to 1/2 mile apart from each other.

I also think Reston will become a lot more walkable with all the new development planned around the Silver Line metro stations.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
I think north Reston and south Reston on the other side of the Toll Road are pretty different. Again, I'm not saying this is anything like Dupont Circle but you have the Town Center, the North Point shopping area you mentioned, Lake Anne, the shopping area off of Sunset Hills Road. Admittedly, most of the roads are suburban 4-6 lanes wide but there are still plenty of sidewalks and bike paths connnecting these destinations and they are mostly 1/3 to 1/2 mile apart from each other.

I also think Reston will become a lot more walkable with all the new development planned around the Silver Line metro stations.
Like I said, I've lived in both sides. Alot of those paths are completely empty. They're not always the safest way to travel either.
Reston functions like any other suburb. You have to drive to get groceries, food etc. I didn't see many people walking around carrying shopping bags into their cul de sacs (which is where 95% of Reston residents live).

But it's walkable compared to the rest of Fairfax County, I guess.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:09 AM

Two days ago I walked from Tysons Corner to the intersection where the old Moore Cadillac stood. It wasn't easy. In fact I couldn't walk in a straight line; from construction to various barriers and differing concrete obstacles it took a while. It took a long while. It was because of this walk that I posted what I did above.

I wonder if anyone with the Fairfax County government has made a similar walk. This is not Ballston, nor Clarendon, nor Bethesda, Silver Spring or Reston. It's an odd, concrete island centric obstacle course with numerous traffic lights and endless parking lots separating the continuity of any city like walk. It would seem that before the ambience of a city could appear a similar walk could be done.

And, today, it can't. Nor do the many proposals show how it can be done in the future.

Tysons shows isolated islands on paper. Not a continuous city.

Last edited by Joe H; Jun 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:34 AM

I don't think you can come to any conclusions about how Tysons will end up yet. The first phase of the Silver Line won't even be completed for a year and a half. This transformation is expected to take three or four decades, not a few years.

There was similar angst about two years ago in the Washington Post and other local media about the slow pace of development in Southeast DC around the Nationals stadium/Navy Yard. After a pause, that area is coming along nicely. At the very least, I think we're going to have to wait until Phase I of the Silver Line is completed and then a decade after that to see how Tysons will develop. This does not excuse Fairfax County Department of Planning staff from not doing their job and making sure that good pedestrian connections exist, developments don't include too much parking or too wide of setbacks, or failing to include sufficient density to encourage neighborhood-serving retail and amenities.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think you can come to any conclusions about how Tysons will end up yet. The first phase of the Silver Line won't even be completed for a year and a half. This transformation is expected to take three or four decades, not a few years.

There was similar angst about two years ago in the Washington Post and other local media about the slow pace of development in Southeast DC around the Nationals stadium/Navy Yard. After a pause, that area is coming along nicely. At the very least, I think we're going to have to wait until Phase I of the Silver Line is completed and then a decade after that to see how Tysons will develop. This does not excuse Fairfax County Department of Planning staff from not doing their job and making sure that good pedestrian connections exist, developments don't include too much parking or too wide of setbacks, or failing to include sufficient density to encourage neighborhood-serving retail and amenities.
I was born in the old Sibley hospital on North Capitol street, grew up in River Terrace and later moved to Silver Spring. My wife grew up in Arlington and later Vienna. I'm dating us to the '40's. Neither of us wants to wait until Tysons is built out to have an opinion. For us this, perhaps remarkably to some who read this, is OUR HOME TOWN. We have an opinion on what it will look like.

As for the Nationals I saw Mickey Mantle hit two home runs on opening day in '56 with the smell of the Wonder Bakery wafting over Griffith Stadium.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post

Wow, yikes so much aggression. First of all, we need to recognize that cities don't just pop up, each projects weighs the financial benefits of constructing now or later down the line even after a rezoning is completed. 1775 was likely paused to figure out the funding scheme for transportation projects, Lerner likely did not want to start construction with the possibility of having to pay more money than they have available for special taxes for a project that is speculative. The funding scheme appears to be a good compromise and likely we will start seeing MORE construction now not less. Arbor Row is even starting to do demolition, Tysons Tower is in full force, Park Crest Two has cranes up for a 19 story building, Avalon Park Crest is leasing this month, Greystar continues site prep on Spring Hill Tower H.

Firstly, you say you have driven all around Tysons, but from the sounds of it you stayed along Route 7 and 123, which really annoys me. I hate when people come into Tysons, stick on the main thoroughfares like International, and make an opinion based on what they see out of their windshield. The intersection you say you tried to walk across is the middle of ground zero for construction right now, OF COURSE you can't walk across it. When they were digging up half of the lower east side of Manhattan it was impossible to walk around also. To focus on these corridors which by the comp plan are to remain commuter focused pathways is not fully understand where the market is moving. What's happening is the section north and east of Route 7 and 123 is where the real development is occurring. Walk along WestPark and you will construction after construction. And the benefit is that its happening on a pedestrian friendly road which has walks, landscape, and a human scale. The biggest issues with Tysons remains Route 7 and 123, for this reason, and the fact that FFX seems hell bent on continuing to keep them, I believe 4 separate cities are forming in Tysons

Northwest. near Vienna, will remain difficult to develop. This area has always had problems conceptually because it is more connected to Vienna than Tysons, it will likely become the higher density version of Vienna instead of part of Tysons because it will be impossible to cross route 7, and the bridges will do nothing to help this. Then there is South Tysons, the area that has the chillis/tiffanys/and several businesses along 495. No chance any of this really ever improves, because frankly 495 is a noose choking it. We might see some random developments along this section but the mall/495/route 7 pretty much set its boundaries and theres no incentive for improving it.

Then there is East Tysons, which has opposed all growth from Pimmit Hills. This area also has scars such as Mitre/Northrup Grumman which because of their work type can not allow a lack of setback to their buildings, therefore are not good fits. As long as these are the major owners, expect a very disconnected development pattern along 123. Hopefully McLean Commons can make it work and create a little micro town, but unlikely without something next to it to attract people to live there.

Then there is North Tysons, which is actually better connected to Tysons 1 than other parts because of the pedestrian friendly design of Westpark Bridge, Tysons Boulevard, Westpark. This area is BOOMING. Even with Lerner taking a pause, they have done a lot of the expensive earthwork so they will complete this project sometime in the next 2 years. Add in Arbor Row, Park Crest's 2 more towers, Spring Hill Station, SAIC and this area is already starting to become a real city. There are already good grocery options, the retail is plentiful, its extremely walkable, I do so often all over, and there is already a very large resident population between Avalon Crescent, The Post, Park Crest, Rotonda, etc.

The rest of Tysons will falter because of Route 123 and 7, but elements within North Tysons (which by the way is as big as Uptown Charlotte in land size) will have access to 4 metro stations and an already establish beneficial land use that will continue its growth.

I will continue to hammer FFX county for not addressing the gashes in Tysons known as 123 and Route 7 and addressing them in a better way than the completely debunked pedestrian bridge method. Look at the route 50 crossings to see what pedestrian bridges become. They are just unsavory locations, who knows why, there are thousands of ways to explain it as a funneling which creates illegal activity, its a sociological barrier, its a disconnect between businesses and people, its all sorts of things. I continue to say that the best way is to deck 123 as much as possible and sell the air rights to pay for it http://thetysonscorner.com/tysons-co...-so-much-more/

I respect your passion for urbanism, but we are going from the opposite of smart growth, the concept of a office park on steroids, to a city. Its gonna take a while to correct this, but project by project it will. sidewalks, even plazas, are relatively cheap compared to the megaprojects that this area is addicted to. So the change can happen, and pedestrian friendly design can be accomplished, but it will take improvement of traffic by proper land use before people finally say, WOW THIS ACTUALLY WORKS! When that starts happening, we will finally be in the place that Arlington is today, buy in.

Last edited by TysonsEngineer; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 11:38 PM

Anyone know what the status of Arbor Row Block A is with Fairfax County?

Based on my research on FFXGov they have approval from VDOT of their traffic impact study (something that no other project in Tysons has achieved yet), they have been through 2 submissions for their Final Development Plan (Block A is by right I believe which is why they didnt need to rezone like the rest of the blocks that were filed under the RZ 2011-PR-023). They started demo'ing a building but its on the site of Block F all the way on the other side of the project.

For those of you unfamiliar with the project you should check out the plans, they are very impressive and very sexy if you like mixed use and improved pedestrian facilities. They are planning to eventually revise much of Westpark Drive to include separated bike lanes and a planted median, and best of all improve walkability by bringing retail/residential and common space uses.

Final Development Plans submitted in February

The CDP is up for zoning decision in August/September... but its been 4 months since the last submission of the FDP section, I would hope it could be approved soon so they can start removing those shoddy 2-story offices.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:18 PM

A local blogger and Greater Greater Washington contributor has posted some excellent photos of Phase I of the Dulles metro extension.

http://cambronj.blogspot.com/2012/06...6-23-2012.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 6:26 PM

Tysons groundbreaking

Macerich chief takes a lesson from Lerner

Image courtesy of the Wasington Post.

By Jonathan O'Connell
July 29, 2012
Washington Post

"Last year Arthur M. Coppola took in a Washington Nationals game with someone for whom he said he has “tremendous respect” — Ted Lerner.

Lerner long ago forecasted a big future for Tysons Corner, and at the game Coppola heard what it was like turning Fairfax County farmland into one of the area’s strongest shopping and office markets....

Coppola, chairman and chief executive of Macerich, broke ground last week on his own major Tysons development with financial partner the Alaska Permanent Fund. When completed in 2014, the more than $500 million project would be the largest mixed-use complex in Tysons Corner, comprising 1.4 million square feetnext to the Tysons Corner Center shopping mall..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...vIX_story.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 8:54 PM
Everywhere all at once

Bad. Ass.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 7:58 PM

Here are some renderings of the Reston Station development that is currently under-construction, courtesy of the architecture firm Hickok Cole, at the end of Phase I of the Silver line at Wiehle Avenue in Reston.

Here is the firm's website for more images: http://www.hickokcole.com/great_desi...boards_19.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
TL;DR

What a crappy plan. I thought we all learned that elevated plazas are a shitty idea. Not as bad as fully-enclosed malls and skybridges, but still urban kryptonite. There won't be any easy way to access it - all huge staircases and well-hidden elevators - so people will avoid it and we get one more dead plaza.

The elevated system also biases all development toward huge developers who can afford the cost of massive podiums. Consequently, there will be no small buildings and probably no independent businesses. Please tell me the rest of Tysons won't be built this way.

Quote:
Macerich chief takes a lesson from Lerner

Image courtesy of the Wasington Post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations