HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 1:36 PM

Apartment plans rile Holladay residents

They don't like the mix of rentals and small shops

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...residents.html

Proposed architectural perspective of the Holladay Village STARTING SPRING 2010

cityofholladay.com

HOLLADAY — City officials are touting progress on the Village Center project, but many in the community are upset about plans for apartments and a five-story clock tower in the "European village."]

Seven months ago, road construction started on the project at the intersection of 2300 East, Murray-Holladay Road and Holladay Boulevard. The confusing and dangerous five-way intersection is now gone, replaced by new roads and wide sidewalks.

Once complete, the project will include a walking plaza and three-story buildings with small shops below apartments. Condominiums will be built as a buffer between the commercial area and nearby homes...

Workers install a brick crosswalk at the intersection of Murray-Holladay Road and Holladay Boulevard Wednesday. (Chen Wang, Deseret News)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I was driving down Main Street and I saw something interesting. These are pictures of the new foundation of the Odd Fellows Building and restoration progress. It took me about 5 minutes to take the pictures. While I was out of the car I got a parking ticket. So these pictures cost me $15.

by Sight-Seer

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:54 PM

City Creek Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Thank goodness for having my utah mom working at Triad 4... got these today:

by goldcntry

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 3:41 PM

222 So. Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
As per request:

by John Martin

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:18 PM
In urbansim we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
222 So. Main

by John Martin
I like the lighting scheme for 222

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 2:01 AM

Yeah me too. And based off of how glass and transparent it is, I bet it will light up well once occupied.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 12:07 PM

I've really appreciated the many contributions that Hamilton has made to the downtown these past few years. All of their projects have been classy and thoughtful. Also, very glad they've taken on so many historical restorations. I hope 222 will be very successful for them, and they will be ready for another highrise project soon. I would like to see Hamilton take on something in the 600 ft. plus range.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 8:04 AM

The 222 building looks pretty cool glowing green for the holidays!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Thought you guys would enjoy a few of the photos I snapped last week from the CCC site and the top of Tower 1. Apologies for the mediocre quality---time was short. And too bad the air was so nasty that day!

The west Richards Court condo tower, from the southeast corner:

Retail corridor between Tower 1 (tentatively named "Promontory") and what will be Nordstrom (on the right):

On the first floor of Nordstrom, looking southeast toward the plaza:

East side of the plaza, looking south-ish:

Inside one of the Tower 1 penthouses:

From Tower 1 penthouse, looking north:

Same as above, but looking down to the street:

Looking northeast:

Northeast again (sorry about the scaffolding):

Looking east into the construction site:

Southeast toward the CBD:

Southwest-ish:

West to Gateway:

West to Triad:

Northwest:

by Zionide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
My favorite is the one looking down at the construction site.

Who ever owns /lives in those penthouse units will have some spectacular views.

Thanks for sharing Zionide.
Quote:
Very nice Zionide, some very cool, new and interesting angles... I like the scaffolding in the pics at this point. I think it makes for a better feel to construction pics. Also, noticed the Amussen Front is coming along nicely. Wow... the curvature of the Crossroads Block Plaza interior is going to be very striking from what I can tell so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Zionide, great shots. It is great to see the project from those angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Wow, just amazing Zionide. Thanks for posting. Everything looks so small from there. The best look to me is overlooking the CBD - looks amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
WoW! You have amazing access Zionide! ummm... maybe... ummm... you could kinda sorta organize a lil' tour for us photogs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Or some of us die hard SLC GEEKS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseven View Post
Nothing mediocre of that post of pics.

Many thanks!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
New Signs!

I have to say, I'm very disappointed with them. I suppose it could be nice in the future to know that the food court is a part of City Creek, with access to the rest of it and all, but I think they should've made it clearer that it's a food court. The blade sign especially, I was hoping it would be much brighter and relevant to the actual building its on.

Very blue.

Yeah, they really are stopping right here, as you can see.

I thought this black stone at the base was very nice.

Very ... green?

by John Martin

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 1:11 PM

Salt Lake City Metro - Herriman focuses on town center

Herriman, lower center third of photo

by utahmike

Community development area, or CDA, has been created for infrastructure.

Conceptual renderings of a 400-acre town center project to be built in Herriman include plans
for a new city hall, court and performing-arts center as well as a county recreation center and library along with
mixed-use development to include 2,000 residential units. (Courtesy of The Sorenson Group)

By Katie Drake
The Salt Lake Tribune

Herriman has high hopes for its new town center, and the city hopes public funds will help speed development
along.

The city has created a community development area, or CDA, around the town center development and is now
asking surrounding entities to participate.

The development is booming, with a new Salt Lake County recreation center and library under construction.
Silver Crest Elementary, the development's new school, opened to students this fall.

Despite the growth, Mayor Lynn Crane believes the area needs to speed things up to encourage economic
development in the area. Plans call for affordable single-and-multiple family housing in the area, as well as a
robust business district. The city has also set aside land for a new city hall, though it may take years for that
to materialize, Crane said.

CDAs can be very confusing for residents, said Nicole Martin, Herriman's economic development director. While it
does not fund the construction of residential units or other private-sector developments, it does provide
infrastructure services like water and roads to support them.

A CDA does not increase taxes or take money from the entities receiving tax dollars, Martin added. Instead
the money is a portion of the increase that would be seen from development.

Several entities, such as Salt Lake County, South Valley Sewer, South Valley Fire Services and the Jordan
School District are weighing the decision whether to join the CDA.

Supporting the measure is a bit of a gamble, said Peggy Jo Kennett, Jordan School Board president. The district
would not receive as much tax money as if the area developed on its own, but without the CDA, development
might never occur.

For example, if the district does not join the CDA, it would continue to receive $96,000 a year from the property.
If it joined the CDA, the district would continue to receive that money, plus 40 percent of whatever tax increases
occur over the next 20 years. The other 60 percent would go to developing the town center.

Most entities have responded positively so far, Crane said. He hopes to have a decision made by the end of
the year.

The CDA does raise some question of public money being used for private development, said County Councilman
Randy Horiuchi, but he believes the project passes public muster.

"It has to be a success or that public infrastructure would die," Horiuchi said.

The CDA is not an all-or-nothing situation for the city, Martin said. Entities who want to participate will get a
share of generated revenue, those who don't maintain the status quo. Without the CDA, development in the
area would certainly not happen as quickly, or according to the city's master plan, Martin said. Instead it would
be left to develop on its own, which if the past is any indicator, means not at all.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Tower 1
Nov. 27, 2009

Tower 1 and The Regent

The Regent

Tower 1 looks topped out.
Photos by SLC Projects

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 5:31 PM
Chairman

In addition to the information delts has provided relative to Herriman Towne Center, the link below is the site plan I found on Sorenson's website:

http://www.thesorensongroup.com/img/...-Plan-half.jpg

Herriman TC's site plan resembles a neo-traditional development. Basically a cross bread between suburbia and urban characteristics in the sense that the streets connect, but have a suburban feel at ground level (i.e. curving streets, parking lots). IMO it is suburbia's excuse of an urban development, but it works well relative to traffic flow and some density. Another characteristic of these types of developments is that commercial and retail areas are segregated from the residential areas. The commercial and retail areas are usually around the peripheral; closer to major ateries that surround the planned development - could be a reason why traffic is a minimal issue.

The neo-traditional concept started in the early 90's and was widely accepted throughout the US through other various projects. Although I am not very thrilled with these types of development, the street network of neo-tradtional developments keep the traffic moving with minimal issues and structures, for the most part, have minimal amounts of setback from the streets.

It always good to read/ hear about local governments having confidence with upcoming developments despite the current economic situation. Now I (and I am sure others) hope to see this project commence soon.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 12:17 PM

Rail still a hit in Utah

by Transit Nerds

TRAX was once a gamble, but now it's solidly part of the Wasatch Front's future.

By Maria Villasenor
The Salt Lake Tribune

Work begins on the Trax extension to Salt Lake International Airport on the dedicated corridor
from 2400 West to the airporton Wednesday, September 2,2009 photo:
Paul Fraughton/ The Salt Lake Tribune

The night before the first TRAX train began shuttling people between downtown Salt Lake City and Sandy was
an agonizing one for Utah Transit Authority officials.

"We were worried, just worried," said UTA Assistant General Manager Mike Allegra. "I couldn't sleep because you
just didn't know if anybody would use it."

Allegra and UTA general manager John Inglish knew the Salt Lake Valley needed light rail, but numerous protests
and fervent opposition to TRAX persisted right up to the Dec. 4, 1999, opening.

That day, though, thousands of people crowded the then-Delta Center station to ride the trains along the 17-mile
route -- so many that the inaugural kinks included stranded people, trains stopped in the middle of tracks and
hundreds turned away.

It will be the 10-year anniversary of TRAX on Dec. 4th. TRAX operator Robbie Robinson a
31 year veteran employee of UTA and a TRAX driver for 10 years pulls into the City Center station wary of the
the three pedestrains running in front of the train. He has to be ready for anything. He said that he wishes he
trusted himself as much as pedestrians trust him to stop the train. (Al Hartmann / The Salt Lake Tribune 11/20/2009 )

It was a hit, Inglish said.

"That was so heartwarming, to see the community embrace this new alternative, this change," Allegra said.

In the decade since, that single north-south line has expanded to include lines to the University of Utah and a
downtown inter-modal hub, which links TRAX to the commuter rail, FrontRunner.

Also, more Utahns have hopped aboard the trains: About 500,000 people rode TRAX each month when it first
started; monthly ridership now exceeds a million.

Construction is under way to expand the network to 10 times its original reach.

That boom in construction and support for TRAX makes Inglish and Allegra chuckle when they stand at the 1300
South station and remember the day they broke ground at the stop and protesters shouted at them and held signs
claiming that "Light rail kills children."

Backbone of mass transit » UTA officials already have a broad vision for what the upcoming decades will hold. Train
tracks, either light or commuter rail, will be the backbone of a network that will include streetcars, buses and
bus-rapid transit, as well as pedestrian and bike ways across the Wasatch Front, Inglish said. Eventually, he wants
90 percent of the urban population within one mile of public transportation.

It will be the 10-year anniversary of TRAX on Dec. 4th. UTA Asst. General Manager Mike Allegra,
left, takes a ride on a TRAX light rail train with UTA General Manager John Inglish in downtown Salt Lake City. They
were the big architects behind TRAX and ultimately spreading rail across the Wasatch Front area.
(Al Hartmann / The Salt Lake Tribune 11/20/2009 )

"You won't need a car, but you'll still want to have one," Inglish said, adding the best transit solution is a mixture
of both.

For the past seven years, Joan Showalter's daily commute has been far simpler. The 56-year-old legal secretary
drives to the 10000 South stop in Sandy and rides TRAX to the Gallivan Center station.

The TRAX ride takes about 30 minutes, which is a bit longer than driving and was something Showalter had to
get
used to. Though the Sandy-to-Salt Lake City highway drive might be 13 minutes most of the time, rush hour is
another matter.

"It's a lot less stressful and I feel like I get something done during the day," she said while holding a book in her
seat at the front of a full car.

Showalter has seen public transportation avidly used in other areas, but she admits, "I never thought it would
work here because people are too attached to their cars ... it's been a pleasant surprise to see how it's worked."

That "love affair" Americans have with their cars is often touted, but Inglish said it's an idea that's overblown. Who,
he asked, can really be enamored with sitting in traffic and simmering with road rage?

Trains are convenient, frequent, reliable and speedy. "You have all of the elements that Americans are looking
for in a transportation system," Inglish said, adding light rail runs on schedule 98 percent of the time compared
with buses, which might top 80 percent.

The 'Phoenix project'» In the late 1970s, light-rail projects started appearing in various North American cities.
After traveling and studying those systems, Inglish thought trains could work in Utah, too. Plans began to grow
in 1984 for a Salt Lake County north-south line, but hit a bump in 1992 when voters rejected a sales tax hike
that would have funded construction on the light-rail corridor, as well as expanding the bus network and Interstate
15 improvements.

"We didn't have any funding, but we still had the same problem," said Allegra, about the growing congestion in
the county.

So, UTA continued pushing for light rail.

Though the up-front building costs are far greater with light rail than with buses, since the road is already in place,
trains are "the more economically viable option" in the long run, about 30 years, Inglish said.

Once networks have been built, each train car can haul 200 people, and most TRAX trips include links of four
cars.

Buses usually seat fewer than 75 people. Per trip, Inglish said, it costs $1.25 to move each person on light rail,
compared to between $3 and $4 on a bus.

With too little support from Salt Lakers, UTA turned to the federal government. A couple of months after Salt Lake
City was selected in 1995 to host the 2002 Winter Olympics, the Federal Transit Administration agreed to fund 80
percent of the capital costs on the $312 million project.

In 1997 construction began, and the following year, the four-lane Main Street was shut down to construct platforms
and tracks for the trains, as well as separate utility work.

"It was harrowing," said Catherine Weller, an owner of Sam Weller's Bookstore on Main Street, who saw other nearby
stores close down during that period. The problem was there was poor planning, she said, and Main Street hasn't
bounced back since then, though there have been other factors outside of TRAX affecting that.

"No matter how terrible it was," Weller said of construction, "we continue to be supporters of TRAX and mass
transit initiatives."

It's a support that has become more widespread, say UTA officials. Voters approved a quarter-cent sales tax
increase in 2000 and again in 2007 to accelerate TRAX construction.

"The public is stepping up," Inglish said. "They're saying, 'We want it now.' "

The early skepticism about TRAX has evolved into conservative business groups and local governments clamoring
to have rail running through their communities, he said.

"It's now a part of life, people expect it."

But rail doubts have lingered.

"I don't think it's done any great favors to transit down here," said Salt Lake City resident Stephen Pace, who led
the anti-rail group Utahns for Responsible Public Spending. He said UTA should have focused instead on buses that
have the same right-of-way preference over cars as trains, but are more flexible and require a less massive
investment.

Pace rails against the "so-called" elected officials who champion fiscally conservative values but are "just as deep
in the federal trough as anybody else" to fund TRAX extensions into their communities.

But that popular support is testament to TRAX's success, say regional planners.

--

Getting there » There are TRAX extensions under construction that would run through Salt Lake City's west side,
West Valley City, Midvale, West Jordan and South Jordan. One is being proposed into Draper.

Also, TRAX trains have linked up to commuter rail. FrontRunner trains travel north to Pleasant View in Weber County,
and work has already started on a southern route that would transport people at freeway speeds to Provo.

"The suburbs are trying to serve residents wanting to get access," to mass transit, said planning director Gabe
Epperson of the sustainability group Envision Utah. "A lot of communities are changing city plans around existing
or future TRAX stops. They've changed their zoning and created transit-oriented development zones around their
stops."

Those TOD zones were touted more than a decade ago when TRAX was first proposed.

"It has started a little slower than we'd like," said UTA's Allegra. The plan was to have UTA and cities partner with
builders to create developments that mixed housing and businesses and supplied people with quick and close access
to public transit.

The Gateway in Salt Lake City is an example of such a project, but most cities are still far from seeing those
large-scale projects built.

"The economy is terrible, but it's perfect for the planning" aspect of these developments, said Allegra, noting
he has seen smaller housing and condominium buildings dot the TRAX corridor.

In Midvale, the Center Street housing development was meant to be a small-scale version of a TOD, but a
bank owns the unfinished project, said Mayor JoAnn Seghini.

But even in that city, a WinCo grocery store already opened at Bingham Junction, a multi-use project on a
203-acre site that was formerly contaminated.

"We pushed very hard to get [the Mid-Jordan TRAX line] so that it would go across what was a former Superfund
site," Seghini said, adding that light rail is a boon to economic development.

And more of those TOD projects will be needed as Utah doubles in size by 2040, said planner Epperson.

Keeping populations concentrated will mean far cheaper utility costs, he said, since building longer lines is more
expensive. Reducing the amount of developed land has a huge impact in helping conserve water and reducing
air pollution, Epperson added.

"That wouldn't be possible without the evolving and expanding rail system," he said.

Don't leave buses behind » But with the additions and expansions made in rail service, Main Street business owner
Weller said she hopes bus service isn't sacrificed for car-less or late-night workers or in working-class neighborhoods.

"I think that TRAX has succeeded as a tool for commuters," Weller said, adding she applauds UTA for that, though
many of her workers could use more frequent trains later in the day.

Commuters are what UTA should be addressing with light rail, said planner Epperson.

"We don't have a traffic problem as a region," he said, "our problem is with commuting."

Buses aren't as desirable for that kind of travel because they have to compete with road traffic, Epperson said.

Midvale resident Juan Carlos Ranjel uses buses or light-rail as his sole means of getting around. TRAX works well
for when the 50 year old works as a supervisor at a downtown restaurant or janitor at the University of Utah,
he said -- "It's the best. It's comfortable."

But when he wants to go to other parts of the valley, Ranjel takes buses and complains they run too infrequently
and that one trip to Layton took double the time getting back.

Changes are made to bus service, but UTA is legally mandated not to disproportionately affect low-income people
through changes, Inglish said.

Though routes have been altered and criticism has followed, those are often improvements that take people time to
get used to, he said.

In fact, Inglish added, light rail has helped increase the use of public transportation across UTA.

In the early '90s, about 25 percent of people had used mass transit in the past year, he said of a survey that was
repeated more recently since TRAX was available. Those subsequent numbers show around 75 percent of people
have used UTA.

Light rail has drastically shifted how many people look at public transportation, Inglish said. "It's hard to believe it's
10 years old." mariav@sltrib.com

The history and future of TRAX
From a controversial beginning and despite rejection of a funding plan, light rail has grown in ridership and
expanded in reach. As TRAX celebrates its 10th anniversary Friday, many communities are clamoring for TRAX
extensions and FrontRunner is providing the inter-city link up and down the Wasatch Front.

by Edgar Zuniga Jr.

TraxCity

Last edited by delts145; Dec 1, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Some 222 pics from this week:

by TonyAnderson

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 1:23 PM

222 South Main - A Grand Opening With T-Mac

Quote:
Well, I just got invited to the
222 S Main Grand Opening tomorrow evening. They told me that they
are using one of my photos and that it will be framed and given to the
Mayor and that they want to recognize my contribution to this project.
Very exciting.

---I will definitely have the camera. There will be a buffet up on the
20th floor.

Quote:
I just got back and the photos
are uploading. What an amazing experience. I was able to speak with
Bruce Bingham of Hamilton Partners. A really great guy. They unveiled
the mural for the lobby and had the governor speak and then we all
went up to the 20th floor, where they did another presentation and presented the building to Mayor Becker and
Salt Lake City. In presenting it to them, they presented him with
a framed copy of my photo. Bruce mentioned that I have been taking
photos of the building since day 1.

Bruce Bingham also mentioned to me and to everyone there that
they have their sights set on doing another building. He said that
they are looking at 100 South and Main Street. That is all that he
said.

Quote:
That's too cool Tmac. Views look great as well - Salt Lake is starting to look a lot denser as shown by the photos.

Im curious how they came across that photo? I mean did you submit it to them or did they just find it here or what?

Looking back a few pages, I believe this is the photo. Definitely a beauty. I like your HDR work. It's not overdone like often seen when using that technique / technology.

Quote:
Thanks Tony. I actually e-mailed it to Bruce Bingham directly. For the framed version,
they took the phone numbers and lettering off of the windows in front and took out the little crane arms on the top
of the building.

by T-Mac

Quote:
As promised:

Foyer

New Mural

Governor Herbert

Governor Herbert on the right, Bruce Bingham on the right.

My photo on display. This is what was presented to Mayor Becker.

by T-Mac

Happy Holidays From Salt Lake City

by ConcreteWaffer

by inthisstorm

by SiLver sKY

by JeremyHall

by brixtoncat

by SiLver sKY

by James Neeley

JeremyHall

by Spaz Du Zoo

by MMGoode

by Valeri3408

Mag3737

by Todd Keith

by Steven Ford

by catinlap

by paleck

by Edgar Zuniga Jr.

by Edgar Zuniga Jr.

by Steven Ford

by paleck

by nickehret

by paleck

by Hendricks NY

by Hendricks NY

by James Neeley

Last edited by delts145; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 1:30 PM

Metro Salt Lake City

St. Regis Opens Grand Hotel ~ Another Five-Star in the mix

Tony hostelry at Deer Valley opens with a touch of refinement

Hospitality » White-gloved butlers and sliced champagne bottles were present for opening of $320M St. Regis hotel.

By Mike Gorrell
The Salt Lake Tribune

A two-tiered swimming pool, with urns serving as waterfalls between the two levels, is one of the outdoor amenities offered at the St. Regis Deer Crest hotel in Deer Valley. Its grand opening ceremony was held Friday. (Rick Egan / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Park City » Befitting the luxury evident around every corner of the St. Regis Deer Crest Resort hotel, even the ribbon-cutting ceremony culminating Friday's grand opening had an upper-crust flair to it.
Two white-gloved butlers politely took their place in front of a dozen scissors-wielding dignitaries. Walking backward in opposite directions, they unrolled the ribbon from a scroll, revealing the hotel's coat-of-arms insignia imprinted on the material. Then, with a dozen quick snips almost drowned out in the applause of 150 invited guests, the $320 million hotel officially opened on the eve of Deer Valley's 2009-10 ski season opener.

The outdoor patio at the St. Regis Deer Crest hotel adjacent to Deer Valley features a fire garden that, each night, will burn brightly with the lights of Park City in the background. (Rick Egan / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Like all grand hotels, the St. Regis Deer Crest has an atmosphere-controlled wine vault in which connoisseurs may find something suitable to fit their tastes. (Rick Egan / The Salt Lake Tribune)

The exercise room at the St. Regis Deer Crest hotel looks out onto a ski slope at Deer Valley. Perched on a hill above Deer Valley's Snow Park Lodge, the St. Regis is reached by a funicular railway from the ski resort's parking lot. (Rick Egan / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Just for good measure, hotel General Manager Michael Hatzfeld capped the ceremony by stepping out onto a slope-side balcony and lopping the top off a champagne bottle with a dagger. He then began filling glasses for bubbly toasts to the second top-echelon, brand-name hotel to open in the Park City area this year. The Dakota Mountain Lodge, a Waldorf Astoria hotel in the Hilton chain, entered the market in July.

"Park City deserves something like this," said Kirsten Whetstone, a senior planner for the city who has monitored the project since its inception. "It's just beautiful."

Walk into the lobby and a large, square piece of glass art work magnifies and distorts the flames burning in a fireplace behind it. Head into the main ballroom and the eye turns quickly to elaborate chandeliers dangling from the high ceiling. Original artwork of all styles and persuasions adorns the walls.

The art alone "cost a small fortune," said Michael Zaccaro, of Falcon Investors LLC, the ownership group's representative overseeing the hotel built by Okland Construction and operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.

Zaccaro was chosen for that role for one good reason -- he doesn't ski. That means he won't be distracted by a bluebird day to skip out on work for a few runs. The reward for that kind of nose-to-the-grindstone type of dedication, he said, is that the people who signed up to own the hotel's 27 private residences and 64 hotel-condominium suites "are pleased with how the hotel came out. We over-delivered on our promise."

As a result, "we will have a much larger percentage of our buyers closing on units over the next 45 days than projects of a similar nature," Zaccaro added. "That's quite reassuring, their level of confidence in this project."

Heaven knows, he acknowledged, the financial difficulties of the past couple of years provided ample reason for prospective buyers to reconsider. But supported by bankers who have been "better than great and honored all of their commitments in a very difficult time," Zaccaro added, the ownership group "has a strong financial base that will allow this hotel to weather the storm and to be successful long-term."

Those lucrative possibilities appealed to Utah government officials at the ceremony.

Lt. Gov. Greg Bell said he felt a sense of "awe and respect [in this] flawless, iconic mountain resort."

And Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, said the hotel is as fine as he has seen in extensive travels in Europe and Asia.

"Deer Valley already has a reputation of excellence," he said. "What St. Regis does is raises that level of excellence."

To Valentine, the opening of this world-class hotel brand also reinforces the state's message that "Utah is an island of economic activity that is still growing. This facility just adds to that reputation and brings money into the state."

Renowned French chef hits Deer Valley

Dining » J&G Grill in St. Regis promises fresh, local ingredients.

By Kathy Stephenson
The Salt Lake Tribune

French chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten in the kitchen of the St. Regis Hotel in Deer Valley. (Rick Egan / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Park City » Jean-Georges Vongerichten is one of the world's most respected and accomplished chefs, with dozens of award-winning restaurants from New York to Hawaii and Paris to Shanghai on his résumé.

But this formidable restaurateur says his "most spectacular" kitchen is the one inside the J&G Grill, his new eatery in Park City.

In New York and other metropolitan cities, "it costs so much for property that restaurants have to have little kitchens," the French-born chef said Friday. "This is probably the biggest kitchen I've worked in. It's unprecedented."

J&G Grill, located inside the new St. Regis Deer Crest Resort, actually has three cooking areas: an open exhibition kitchen that guests can see from the dining room, plus a behind-the-scenes kitchen that has several preparation areas and five different walk-in refrigerators. One level below, there is a small kitchen with a walk-up window where skiers can grab a quick lunch.

It also has a wine vault that can hold 4,600 bottles and will offer more than 900 different wine labels.

Another feature, exclusive to Vongerichten's Utah restaurant, is the massive communal dining table that seats 22 people. In all, the main dining room can seat more than 100 patrons.

Vongerichten's restaurant brings a new level of sophistication to Utah's dining scene. It will serve grilled meats, fish and even pizzas using fresh, local
ingredients and bold condiments with ingredients such as chiles and lemon grass -- ingredients for which Vongerichten is known.

Through his 25-plus years in the business, his restaurants have earned an unprecedented 20 stars from The New York Times , six Michelin stars and three awards from the prestigious James Beard Foundation.

Vongerichten said the Utah restaurant combines two of his passions: food and skiing. He first put on a pair of skis when he was 4; it has remained a lifelong hobby. However, he has been so busy with the new restaurant he has yet to ski the Deer Valley slopes. He plans to do that soon.

Utah diners can expect to see Vongerichten regularly. And not just during the winter months. He plans to forage for watercress and other wild things in the nearby mountains in the spring and summer.

"It's like having a nice car," he said. "You want to drive it a lot."

St. Regis Deer Crest cuts ribbon

Management calls it one of the most 'grand' of the luxury brand

State dignitaries flanked by owners and partners in the St. Regis Deer Crest stand together to cut the ribbon and officially open the hotel on Friday. Photo by Grayson West/Park Record

by Andrew Kirk of the Park Record Staff

One of the most anticipated moments of the winter occurred Friday morning when the ribbon was cut on the St. Regis Deer Crest hotel ushering in a new era in which Park City is expected to have a higher profile and greater exposure among the most wealthy vacationers from the Northeast.
Michael Zaccaro, managing partner of the ownership group Deer Crest Janna, said the vision for an internationally-recognized, five-star-brand hotel was inspired by the site itself.

Perched above and to the east of the base of Deer Valley Resort, the site is adjacent to one of the ski runs in the private community of Deer Crest. From below the site can only be seen from a particular angle near the south tip of Jordanelle Reservoir.

With ski-in, ski-out access, incredible views of the Wasatch Back, situated in one of Park City's most upscale communities adjacent to a resort repeatedly voted No. 1 in America by affluent skiers, something like a St. Regis was the only thing deserving of the site, Zaccaro explained Thursday.

The ownership group in conjunction with the developers, Stan Castleton and DDRM, chose Starwood Hotels' St. Regis brand because of the large and loyal following it has among elite travelers especially those in the Northeast.

General Manager Michael Hatzfeld said St. Regis is excited to be in Park City because being at the best addresses in the best destinations is core to its values. Deer Crest and Deer Valley is one of those addresses and Park City is one of those destinations.

The St. Regis in Aspen, Colo. has been "an iconic ski destination" for the company, but it isn't ski-in, ski-out.

Furthermore, the summer activities in Park City are superior to those in Aspen, he said.

"It's not just a focus on the three or four months of ski season, but the summer months can bring Fortune 500 companies to these destinations," he said.

So as not to overload Deer Crest with traffic, most guests and visitors are brought to the hotel by a funicular starting near the Deer Valley parking lot.

A gondola just wouldn't have done, Zaccaro said. The smooth, roomy and unique experience the funicular ride provides is the perfect introduction to the hotel. It was a focal point in the planning process, he said.

"It's not that much different than an elevator but far more spectacular," he said.

It is the first commercial funicular in the United States, holds 15 people plus luggage and is a 90 second ride that is touted as energy efficient. The views are expansive as well.

"Nothing else has the same impact," he said.

Zaccaro said the condominium-hotel industry was "given a black eye" by the start of the recession, but said the financial structure of the hotel is incredibly sound. The committed buyers are closing at a rate that has soothed fears, he explained.

At the ribbon cutting, Hatzfeld and Starwood senior vice president of operations Carla Murray both said they had been general managers at the Aspen location and both agreed St. Regis Deer Crest was "a little grander."

"This is by far the most spectacular and interesting (St. Regis) I've had the privilege to run in my career," Hatzfeld said.

"Count on us," Murray said during her remarks. "We plan to be an active member of this community."

Lt. Gov. Greg Bell addressed the crowd at Friday's ceremony and said he considered the hotel to be one of the country's most amazing structures. Conceptually, legally, financially and structurally it is a "remarkable" feat, he said, and called its completion despite the recession "miraculous."

As the hotel and its three competitors (Dakota Mountain Lodge, Stein Eriksen Lodge and The Montage) create more world-class amenities it will garner greater world-wide recognition, Zaccaro said adding, all four hotels are "looking forward to working with each other."

Quote:
2009/2010 - Utah Ski Resorts Unveil New Improvements

In a time when consumers demand value and convenience, Utah's 13 ski resorts consistently offer unparalleled access, quality and bountiful amounts of The Greatest Snow on Earth. Salt Lake City International Airport was recently ranked number one in the nation for having the most on-time flights according to data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Salt Lake International is located within an hour drive of 11 of the state's ski and snowboard resorts enabling many visitors to maximize their time by skiing the same day they arrive.

In an effort to boost tourism and better serve visitors, Utah legislators made the most significant change to the state's liquor laws in 40 years. Utah bars are now open to the general public and the state's previous private club system, which requried customers to fill out an application and pay a fee for the right to enter a bar, has been eliminated. The state's resorts have celebrated the change by sprucing up their amenities, products and services for the 2009-10 winter season. Snow is just around the corner and Utah's resorts

Park Record

This was also kind of a cool little article below that we might have missed on the forum. Hey, if nothing else I'm going to grab some friends and get a free ride on the funicular. We'll check out the Hotel and grab a piece of pie/cake at this new soon-to-be five-star restaurant. Probably a piece of pie will be all the Christmas buget can afford, but the funicular ride and seeing the hotel first hand will be a blast.

Last edited by delts145; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 1:36 PM

Quote:
CCC Update:

The Regent:

Main Street:

Tower 1:

I also posted a few others over at UtahUrbanForum.com

by TonyAnderson

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:04 PM

Broadway Park Lofts

Quote:
Updates - Broadway Park Lofts

by T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Dec 9, 2009 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:15 PM

moved to top

Last edited by delts145; Dec 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations