HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:51 PM
Mobile, Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileLSUboy2005 View Post
I WISH Mobile could support Frontier Airlines, but if Baton Rouge can't then i highly doubt we could.
Baton Rouge's newspaper says, "According to Metro Airport figures, Frontier’s two daily flights averaged about 2,860 passengers per month between September and January, just shy of the airport’s projected average of 3,320....Business was good enough that Frontier previously announced a third flight would be added next month.

The problem, Hodas said, was that most local fliers don’t travel past Denver, which is how discount airlines typically make money.

“The traffic to Denver is pretty good, but for the routes to be successful, we’ve got to get a mix,” he said. “We just weren’t seeing that."...When the city began negotiating with Frontier in 2005, oil was around $65 a barrel. Since then, prices have risen to near $100 a barrel."
Source: 2theadvocate.com

Itd be great if Mobile could get it, especially since it drove down the prices in Baton Rouge by 27%, and everyone knows Mobile's flights are outrageous, but I just don't think it would happen (at least not when fuel is so high)
Welcome to the forum!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 7:53 PM
No Respect

1,000th post! we got a winner
"Thank ya Mississippi , Without you we be #50!"

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 8:55 PM

has anyone heard about the st.francis place that supposed to be built downtown?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 8:57 PM
Geaux Tigers!

haha my first post on here was the 1000th! thats funny... ive been on UrbanPlanet's forum wondering where everyone is...then i found everyone on this one instead...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:11 PM
No Respect

Yeah, bout time u sheauxed up . Enlighten us of your knowledge and vision of Mobile. Also need some football tickets next fall. Hook a brother up Geaux Tigers!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
No Respect

So LSUboy I see you did your homework on TOS by calling the hotel, and you neaux about the emporis info that was just updated. Your good for a rook ........keep calling .....ask for da engineer or manager.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
No Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboo74 View Post
has anyone heard about the st.francis place that supposed to be built downtown?
Hey pboo, rode by there da other day. They have a sketch posted of the plans. And it sheauxs about 70% is already bought up.

I posted about this development before, some might not agree(BlessedMobile),but if they don t move Labor Finders and the soup kitchen out of the area i really can t see this being a good investment. Last saturday morning I couldnt get by these people with out feeling somewhat concerned.Wish i had pictures to post.

I say move labor finders and soup kitchen to the civic center. Their is never anything geuxing on over there. That place is about as lively , as where Joe Cain hangs out

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
Geaux Tigers!

haha we'll see on the tickets.... and i actually emailed emporis with the new numbers so hopefully they'll update it...

I'm no rookie...been a mobile almanac since i was like 12... Just new to forum-ing...haha

Little info on myself: I'm 20, obviously go to LSU and majoring in Construction Management...and I have lived in Mobile since i was born, and went to St. Paul's...

Geaux Tigers

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 1:13 AM

welcome to this forum....i think I've seen you before on urban planet.

Ya'll know the city is working with several hotels that want to locate downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
Ya'll know the city is working with several hotels that want to locate downtown.
What's the profile of these hotels? Are we talking low, mid or high rises? Do you know any names?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 1:36 AM
No Respect

arrr!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 1:47 AM
No Respect

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.002052&z=19

Looked into this one. This half of block shown on link, according to last sundays Mobile Press, is the land that the developer of the Downtown Hampton bought. Maybe something to look into. hmmm.....................aka..(parking lot on Royal and st louis, and the building,which is a old bank, located St.louis @st. joseph

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:19 AM
Geaux Tigers!

not trying to slow mobile development...BUT do we REALLY need ANOTHER hotel downtown!? i mean come on... its getting a little excessive...battle house, riverview, admiral semmes, lafayette plaza, hampton, raddison... how many do we freakin need!? lets get big headquarters or attractions down there first... im sure the hotels are never all full except for one week of the year.... mardi gras....

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou15 View Post
Hey pboo, rode by there da other day. They have a sketch posted of the plans. And it sheauxs about 70% is already bought up.

I posted about this development before, some might not agree(BlessedMobile),but if they don t move Labor Finders and the soup kitchen out of the area i really can t see this being a good investment. Last saturday morning I couldnt get by these people with out feeling somewhat concerned.Wish i had pictures to post.

I say move labor finders and soup kitchen to the civic center. Their is never anything geuxing on over there. That place is about as lively , as where Joe Cain hangs out
Thanks bayou15,Keep us updated on this please.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileLSUboy2005 View Post
not trying to slow mobile development...BUT do we REALLY need ANOTHER hotel downtown!? i mean come on... its getting a little excessive...battle house, riverview, admiral semmes, lafayette plaza, hampton, raddison... how many do we freakin need!? lets get big headquarters or attractions down there first... im sure the hotels are never all full except for one week of the year.... mardi gras....
I wonder the same thing these days MLSU. I'm a Pensacolian rooting hard for Mobile to explode into a great metro as my town sadly never will under the control it has combined with being under the influence of tightening of growth that the rest of this state gets (but we never got ours to start with). We won't be spending millions to get industry here anytime in the next 30 centuries as we are a town full of upity assholes. We might spend millions to build a baseball stadium for our connected friends downtown though.

Anyway...I'm hoping for more office building demand downtown Mobile. Not to be mean...but even as much as I just trashed my city (Pensacola) for being backward...I'd think damned near anyone would rather rent a room here or in Gulf Shores than stay in the City of Mobile on most days of the year. It's a city of ports and industry...which is a good thing. But not a reason to hang around if not business thing for most.

Whatever the case...I long for the day the two towns grow together and this little group of jerk offs who control this city lose it. I often wonder what this port might have been if this town was in Alabama from the start. Probably pretty damned vibrant downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 7:24 AM
No Respect

HEY M LSU ,"IF YOU build it they will come!" (Field of Dreams)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 3:14 PM

Has the Carriage House project started coming out of the ground yet? When I was down over Christmas, they had started rennovations on the original structure, and they had poured foundations/laid plumbing for the new townhouse component of the project. If so pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:01 PM

I imagine the hotels do well for two weeks during Mardi Gras. The Senior Bowl fills them up (600-700 scouts and coaches here all week,40,000+ attendance). The GMAC bowl always has a team from the north (Miami-Ohio,Ohio,Tulsa) were the climate is miserable in January. I've been to the last two and they bring a lot of fans. You see them throughout the week. There are a good number of smaller conventions that go on downtown that people hear little about (the knock on Mobile not having large conventions was not enough hotel rooms). I'm sure there are a good number of people that stay downtown the night before leaving on a cruise from Mobile. You also have Fort Conde, I-max, and several museums that attract folks.

I believe the hotel industry is looking into the future and they see Mobile growing. The maritime museum will be a nice addition and who knows what they have in the master plan.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 9:03 PM
All things are possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou15 View Post

Did I say that? probably...anyway I think that general downtown development will move the temp labor places and maybe "15 Place" , the homeless food and mail headquarters out further. Money and influence tend to call the shots on such locations as the community develops. 15 Place is a small facility of maybe 5,000 s/f that can easily move but it won't be easy. Biggest problem is where would they be willing to go that the area would welcome them....I think all of you know the logical answer to that. Just as an FYI but I too was by 15 Place at 7am one Friday and agree the Labor Finders is in the WRONG place if you want to bring residents to the area.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 9:27 PM
No Respect

What is the moving answer? Hey Blessed nice to see ya back! So do you neaux any plans of any hotel development coming to downtown in the future?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast