HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 3:34 AM
Semi-Lurker

The massing on this tower is horrendous. The words clunky, awkward and disjointed all come to mind. What a shame.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 4:24 AM

http://persquaremile.com/2013/03/07/...e-it-up-there/

Nice comparison.

This looks like a sandwich, on white.

Last edited by Stellar_Mass; Feb 6, 2016 at 4:26 AM. Reason: Forgot a link

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 4:38 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar_Mass View Post
http://persquaremile.com/2013/03/07/...e-it-up-there/

Nice comparison.

This looks like a sandwich, on white.
I get a 404

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 11:32 PM

Obama administration commits $75M to Sacramento streetcar
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...acramento.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:24 PM

Echo! .... Echo.... Echo.... Echo.........

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:07 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...e-cleared.html

Last big office space leased in Downtown. This sounds like good news for Vanir tower.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofFrost View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...e-cleared.html

Last big office space leased in Downtown. This sounds like good news for Vanir tower.
I read it differently. The last 100,000 square feet in Park Tower will be ready to be leased, the largest available among downtown buildings.

There is still a huge chunk of office vacancy downtown to fill a high-rise, so I don't see Vanir or CalPers moving forward until conditions improve.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:00 PM

Regarding the Whole Foods mixed use project at 21st and L Streets:
I am curious if there is any new information on this beauty. At the time it was approved, construction was reported to begin Spring 2016....so starting around now. I really hope this proposal gets built. I think it would neat-o! But I fear it will end up as another scrapped project...a concern I have for most of the other proposals currently being kicked around. If any of you have new info you could share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
I am curious if there is any new information on this beauty. At the time it was approved, construction was reported to begin Spring 2016....so starting around now. I really hope this proposal gets built. I think it would neat-o! But I fear it will end up as another scrapped project...a concern I have for most of the other proposals currently being kicked around. If any of you have new info you could share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
You can try contacting them
http://www.pappasinvestments.com/who...ntial-project/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
They're going to build a parking structure at 21st and Capitol (to replace the parking in the current location) before the demo the site and build it. My understanding is they were going to build the parking structure in 2016 and begin construction of the Whole Foods building in 2017.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:56 PM

So, in other words, when the market inevitably tanks in the coming year or two, we will have another parking structure but no Whole Foods/residential building...yay.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:00 AM
Hindrance to Development

I guess they figure they don't want to do without parking one way or the other, like how the new Co-Op site built the parking structure first so county DHA employees could park there during Co-Op construction. OTOH, because the two projects (Whole Foods and the parking structure) are linked and that parking garage won't generate much revenue, in order to make back the money they borrowed/spent to build the parking garage, they kind of have to build the apartment building and Whole Foods for rental/lease revenue.

Still think they should have built the apartments at 21st/Capitol (near the quiet residential end of the neighborhood) and the parking structure at 21st and L (near the nightclubs) but hey, what do I know?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I guess they figure they don't want to do without parking one way or the other, like how the new Co-Op site built the parking structure first so county DHA employees could park there during Co-Op construction. OTOH, because the two projects (Whole Foods and the parking structure) are linked and that parking garage won't generate much revenue, in order to make back the money they borrowed/spent to build the parking garage, they kind of have to build the apartment building and Whole Foods for rental/lease revenue.

Still think they should have built the apartments at 21st/Capitol (near the quiet residential end of the neighborhood) and the parking structure at 21st and L (near the nightclubs) but hey, what do I know?
I kind of agree with your location choices, but alas.. I hope the people that end up living there enjoy a front row seat to all of the action at the Faces pool patio!

I have friends who work in the building at 21st and L which is how I know this general timeline. Pappas Investments is also headquartered in that building, which they own and rent to tenants. The existing parking structure at 20th and L is the parking structure for that building, which hundreds of people work in and I don't know how many parking spaces but scores of parking spaces. They want to make sure they have parking for their tenants (and themselves, tbh) before they demo the existing structure. At least that is what I've heard.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 10:41 PM

Regardless of how people, who don't own the property or the project in question, feel about its location, I just hope the damn thing gets built. I have to say, I am concerned. Investor money is tight, especially for Sac. I remember reading that the main reason why rents are so high in Sac is that few residential projects have been built...there just ain't the same job and population boom we've seen elsewhere. I really like a lot of the proposals that are on the table. I think they would add much needed density and activity, but I remain skeptical of old "Snail Pace" Sacramento. Frankly, I grow tired of the same laid back growth pattern. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch that sleepy city develop. I've waited a long time for the proverbial "tipping point" and I just don't see it happening.

The point of my previous post was... I'd like those of you who are in the know to handicap the viability of what's been proposed, so far. Should I be excited about Whole Foods, CADA buildings, Ice Blocks, Yamanee, Q14, Sac Bee area, Marshall hotel, Cafe Bernardo hotel, etc.....OR should I not hold my breath?

Now that I live in DTLA, it's interesting to see a city that can actually get s**t done. I'm getting tired of Sac and its stupid, slow economy. I feel like it'll always be stuck in second gear.

Patience is a virtue...I guess that's why I'm not a very virtuous person.

Last edited by snfenoc; Mar 30, 2016 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:11 AM
Hindrance to Development

If it's any consolation, I have been reviewing the city's general plan updates and noted that there have been 1700 new housing units built in the entire city since 2010, and 75% of them (about 1300) were built in downtown or midtown. Ice Blocks was set back by the fire but they have started vertical construction on the apartment building and foundation work on the office portion. 16th Street is mighty interesting these days, another 8 story project is going on the parking lot at 15th and Q pretty soon. And while I still think they should have built the parking next to the nightclubs, I supported it anyhow because the fundamentals were there: housing and neighborhood supporting retail.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:07 PM

A portion of the Ice Blocks development is going vertical? I didn't think anything was happening there quite yet. Someone should post photos; cause I think many of us are curious to see how far along this property (or properties) has progressed. It has been in the works for 10 years; it's nice to know a resolution is actually happening.

There may be a wealth of interesting plans, especially for 16th, J, Q, R, S Streets, and Broadway, but this is Sacramento...plans aren't enough. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

In regard to the 1300 units you mentioned. That is an achievement. However, it's an achievement that took 6 years to reach. While I am glad that Sacramento has added housing units (especially in the central city) during a construction boom, I guess I'm not particularly impressed with the rate. Isn't Sacramento looking to add like 10-15 thousand units to central city? At the current rate, it would take 45-70 years to add that many. I'm hoping for a tipping point, where central city growth becomes accelerated...a boom. So far, it doesn't look like Sacramento has reached that point. Sometimes, I doubt it ever will.

Last edited by snfenoc; Mar 31, 2016 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If it's any consolation, I have been reviewing the city's general plan updates and noted that there have been 1700 new housing units built in the entire city since 2010, and 75% of them (about 1300) were built in downtown or midtown. Ice Blocks was set back by the fire but they have started vertical construction on the apartment building and foundation work on the office portion. 16th Street is mighty interesting these days, another 8 story project is going on the parking lot at 15th and Q pretty soon. And while I still think they should have built the parking next to the nightclubs, I supported it anyhow because the fundamentals were there: housing and neighborhood supporting retail.
To be fair, the Whole Foods building will have 2 or 3 levels of parking, above the Whole Foods which will be at ground level. There will be 4 or so levels of apartments above that, so really people would be living on the third floor and above. Also, there will be some retail space at ground level of the parking structure at 21st and Capitol, so at least that's something!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:54 PM

Is it supposed to look like the building across the street?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Is it supposed to look like the building across the street?
I read somewhere that it is supposed to 'evoke' the mid-century style of the office building across the street. Personally, I think this building has more of a 'UC Davis-innocuous-beige' style more than anything else.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 8:14 PM

Here's a better close up of the project.

20th & L Streets Mixed-Use - Whole Foods Video Simulation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1S_-ZD6NQ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area