HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 5:10 AM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Wink Edmonton Renaissance

Edmonton has arrived as a national business player
Surging economy, shifting trends are reshaping city's image

Gary Lamphier
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, December 23, 2006

I love lists. They neatly sum up complex topics in simple point form. Perfect for a 20-inch, end-of-the-year business column.

So here's my list of the top five business trends that are reshaping the Edmonton region as 2006 draws to a close. Merry Christmas and happy holidays, one and all. I'll see you in the new year.

1. Edmonton is (finally) on the map

When I moved here from the West Coast in 2002, my brother Steve, a longtime resident, often described Edmonton as "Canada's best-kept secret."

He was right. Glamour-puss towns like Calgary and Vancouver got way more ink. Still do. Edmonton? It was virtually invisible on the national stage.

But times are changing. Edmonton is now on the map. With a $100-billion oilsands megaboom underway, the capital region's economy is on wheels and the world is rapidly coming to realize it. Thousands are moving here every year, from across Canada and beyond.

Even the political winds are shifting in Edmonton's favour, with Ed Stelmach and his team succeeding Ralph Klein's Calgary-centric crew.

(Note to EEDC: Mark Norris, a key Stelmach backer and former Alberta Economic Development Minister, is now looking for a job. Who better to succeed Allan Scott?)

Fellow Edmontonians, our day in the sun has arrived. Time we lost our victim complex, don't you think? It's just so yesterday.

2. Edmonton is going corporate

For years, Edmonton has been regarded as a private-company town, dominated by family business owners who shunned the spotlight. Many still do.

But the landscape is changing. Many large local firms are now publicly traded. Other family-owned companies are bringing in big institutional investors as shareholders. In short, Big Money has discovered Edmonton.

Firms like Lockerbie & Hole, Fun Sun Vacations and Focus Corp. now have major private equity funds as partners. Others -- Pe Ben, NQL Drilling -- have sold out to major corporate players.

Still others, like North American

Energy -- sold by Edmonton's Gouin family in 2003 -- have gone public. In fact, there are now some 80 public companies in the Edmonton region, triple the level of five years ago.

The professional manager class is taking over. Local owners are exiting. Watch for more corporate deals in the year ahead.

3. Edmonton sheds its "Discountville" label

For a quarter-century, house prices in Greater Edmonton flatlined, on an inflation-adjusted basis, while prices in other large cities soared.

Office rents were among the lowest in North America.

But Edmonton made up a lot of lost ground in 2006. Average house prices jumped by nearly 40 per cent, trailing only Calgary on the national scene. Analysts predict modest further gains for 2007. Office rents also rose sharply while vacancy rates plunged, spurring the first new downtown office redevelopments in years and growing talk of new office construction.

Are rising house prices and office lease rates a good thing? Absolutely. Just ask anyone who has lived or worked in Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary over the past 25 years.

Inflation is an inevitable byproduct of prosperity, even if it does raise affordability issues for some.

Rising land values in the city core and surrounding inner-city neighbourhoods will also draw investment and spur downtown revitalization -- a process that's already shifting into second gear.

4. Edmonton's 'geography' is changing

No, we're not getting any closer to the mountains or the ocean. But Edmonton is no longer perceived as a remote northern outpost. So what's changed, besides our warmer winters? Basic economics.

With oil at $60 US, the oilsands are no longer marginal. They're at the epicentre of Canada's energy future. The 'patch is moving north.

Money and people are flowing with it, including $12.5 billion in oilsands spending in 2007 alone.

No wonder Edmonton International Airport set traffic records in 2006. The region has hit critical mass, with a population of more than one million.

Secondly, with China spearheading global economic growth and Prince

Rupert's new container port skedded to open in 2007, Chinese shippers will be able to access a new, faster rail route to the U.S. midwest, directly through Edmonton.

Presto, Edmonton is poised to become a key North American transportation and distribution hub. Welcome to Port Alberta.

5. City's emergence as a key high-tech/biotech sector

No, there's no local VC fund. Not yet. But it will come. Meanwhile, Edmonton is already home to nearly 90 biotech firms and a cluster of successful software firms, including Matrikon and Upside Software.

More good news: The $86.5 million remake of the long-empty Bay building on Jasper Ave. proceeds apace. Among other things, the University of Alberta's new christened Enterprise Square will house TEC Edmonton, a joint venture of the U of A and EEDC that incubates early-stage tech firms. Along with the newly formed Alberta Council of Technologies, the new National Institute of Nanotechnology, and the Northern Alberta Clinical Trials and Research Centre -- a joint venture of Capital Health, the U of A, and EEDC -- Edmonton is building a formidable base as Alberta's leading tech, biotech, and medical services R&D sector. Commercial success will surely follow.

© The Edmonton Journal 2006
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And don't forget Reason #6: The Return of the Dancing Cop!!!!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!!

Last edited by Shodan; Dec 24, 2006 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 5:21 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
When I moved here from the West Coast in 2002, my brother Steve, a longtime resident, often described Edmonton as "Canada's best-kept secret."

He was right. Glamour-puss towns like Calgary and Vancouver got way more ink. Still do. Edmonton? It was virtually invisible on the national stage.
I honestly do believe Edmonton is one of Canada's best kept secrets, and I can only hope it stays that way. Edmonton is that really neat coffee shop that is on the verge of being trendy, but not there yet. very few people know its there, but it has the best of everything.

I'm an odd-ball Calgarian, I love Edmonton. not a fan of the sports teams, but the city itself has much to offer anyone.

I can only hope that in the future growth Edmonton doesn't become like Calgary and lose itself in greed...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 6:17 AM
:|

edmonton is to canada as canada is to the world.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 5:16 PM
Urbis Maximus

/\ you know what, that is a good analogy.

Edmonton is starting to get more face time. Yes, it's been awhile, a little too long for many of us, but that has been changin.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 5:49 PM
Change is good

I found a new signature, thanks Distill3d, hope you don't mind

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 6:03 PM
Community Guy

great comments boys

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 6:05 PM

2007 Here we come...hold onto your hats.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 6:07 PM
Round Head

Edmonton is definitely plagued by its reputation. One of my very intelligent colleagues at school thought Edmonton had a population of 300,000. He was astounded to find out that Edmonton was practically the same size as Calgary. That fact really threw him for a loop.

Calgary suffers a similar fate to a lesser extent and in a different way, where its reputation precedes it. However, I don't think this should matter. If the city continues to build itself, do the right things, eventually its reputation will catch up. Somewhere along the line there is the tipping point.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 6:28 PM

I too really do like Edmonton and see that it has a lot to offer. I obviously hate the Oilers (that is part of the fun of being an Albertan though!), but there is nothing wrong with the city itself. Head-to-head i still think Calgary is pulling a way a little bit. But I see the two cities eventually using technology to more firmly integrate and becoming a strong single economic unit in the world economy.

And taken together, the two cities, are a very multifacited and dynamic force and IMHO powerfully represent the province as a whole.

But regardless, good for Edmonton!

Claeren.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71).

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 7:44 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
I too really do like Edmonton and see that it has a lot to offer. I obviously hate the Oilers (that is part of the fun of being an Albertan though!), but there is nothing wrong with the city itself. Head-to-head i still think Calgary is pulling a way a little bit. But I see the two cities eventually using technology to more firmly integrate and becoming a strong single economic unit in the world economy.

And taken together, the two cities, are a very multifacited and dynamic force and IMHO powerfully represent the province as a whole.

But regardless, good for Edmonton!

Claeren.
Hating the Oilers is only a Calgarian thing, not an Albertan thing. But I see what your getting at. The Rivalary is an Albertan thing.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 8:00 PM
DRINK

Are we all in the christmas spirit or did boris's and SHOtime's switcheroo start to mend some fences?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I found a new signature, thanks Distill3d, hope you don't mind
go ahead

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 11:52 PM
Hypnotized

I just wish Edmonton would get some tall buildings

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 1:18 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinner6 View Post
i think they have a height restriction because of YXD (city center airport)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 2:05 AM

Distill, I think Thinner would be happy with just more buildings of the same height we already have. I know i would be.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 2:07 AM

Funny, I say "we" even though I'm not an Edmontonian. Just an Edmonton enthusiast.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 2:50 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinner6 View Post

I just wish Thinner would stop posting, or at least stop posting stupid crap on Edmonton threads.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 7:11 AM
What we play is life.

Feepa, quit being a bitch. Why can't he hope for some talls in E-Town? I hope for the same thing! It would be awesome to have 2 worls class skylines in the province. Edmonton deserves something tall, so don't hate on someone for making the point just because they live in Calgary.
Fuck, I wish there was an ignore user button. Your ass would be first on my list.

Back to the topic, Edmonton does seem to be getting its shit together, and is quickly shedding its small town image. At least thats the impression I get in my travels.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 9:41 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumtoes View Post
edmonton is to canada as canada is to the world.
Great quote! 2007 should be a good year for us.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 3:54 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
Feepa, quit being a bitch. Why can't he hope for some talls in E-Town? I hope for the same thing! It would be awesome to have 2 worls class skylines in the province. Edmonton deserves something tall, so don't hate on someone for making the point just because they live in Calgary.
Fuck, I wish there was an ignore user button. Your ass would be first on my list.

Back to the topic, Edmonton does seem to be getting its shit together, and is quickly shedding its small town image. At least thats the impression I get in my travels.
My ass would be first on your list? Well, don't I feel proud. If this board still had a search function, I would suggest you search everything Thinner6 posts, especially in the Edmonton topics. A quick search of a recent photo thread about Edmonton in the city photo section should give you a very brief idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton