HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:36 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Why do we allow city hall to talk about the escarpment as if it's some wild, protected nature preserve, but on the other hand see it lined with buildings and urban development? It's a totally false narrative with no substance or logic. Just rooted in NIMBYism
Because it IS a protected nature reserve? The entire greenbelt along the escarpment is protected as just that. It's why we can enjoy hiking, the bruce trail, the rail trail, etc.

It's also why you're not allowed to plant foreign things along the escarpment as well, although I have no idea if and when they enforce that.. Personally I'd love to see the rail trail lined with fruit trees... just pluck as you walk by..

Also there are a lot of actions done in the past that are no longer approved of going forward, like knocking down old buildings for parking lot space for one..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Because it IS a protected nature reserve? The entire greenbelt along the escarpment is protected as just that. It's why we can enjoy hiking, the bruce trail, the rail trail, etc.

It's also why you're not allowed to plant foreign things along the escarpment as well, although I have no idea if and when they enforce that.. Personally I'd love to see the rail trail lined with fruit trees... just pluck as you walk by..

Also there are a lot of actions done in the past that are no longer approved of going forward, like knocking down old buildings for parking lot space for one..

nobody is suggesting we build anything on the slope of the escarpment. To suggest that we can't have tall buildings downtown because the Niagara Escarpment (with it's urbanization and 20+ storey buildings) exists to our south is laughable.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:52 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
nobody is suggesting we build anything on the slope of the escarpment. To suggest that we can't have tall buildings downtown because the Niagara Escarpment (with it's urbanization and 20+ storey buildings) exists to our south is laughable.
Except.. you know.. for this one..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:41 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Except.. you know.. for this one..
That is not considered part of the escarpment. The escarpment starts to the South of Charlton in this location. Even the Niagara Escarpment Commission said as much.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:02 PM

Anyone know if that derelict variety store that is covered in masses of grafitti, right next to the Kresge's site will be torn down as part of the project? It's such an eyesore...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
That is not considered part of the escarpment. The escarpment starts to the South of Charlton in this location. Even the Niagara Escarpment Commission said as much.
This property was developed way before the NEC was created, so the property is grandfathered. If this was greenfield, the development would definitely not be permitted.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:14 PM
Forever forward.

They're putting up permanent hoarding right now

my image

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:57 PM
Hamilton Historian

RIP horrible bingo hall legacy..

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:17 PM

I don't know if it was mentioned here already, but the back part of the Capri was bought to use as part of the project. They also talked to other owners on that little block, but as far as I know, they only purchased the back of the Capri.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 5:27 AM

Jason Thorne indicated to me that Liuna will be working on the missing spot beside the William Thomas prior to moving to work on the King at Hughson site. They are also apparently going through the last bit of approvals.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:28 PM

I think they're planning to slice off the back kitchen of Capri, and create a new service alley so they can build right up to the lot line of the Kresge site. Super smart, and also new alleyways are fun. They definitely add to the character of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:02 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I think they're planning to slice off the back kitchen of Capri, and create a new service alley so they can build right up to the lot line of the Kresge site. Super smart, and also new alleyways are fun. They definitely add to the character of downtown.
They are.

Alleyways are also havens for needle users though. Anywhere reclusive is.. the alley behind the old buttinskys/capitol theatre is notorious for that.. hopefully we get some better alleyway surveillance in this city.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:33 AM

what?
really?
like skid row in Vancouver?
I've seen more barrels of grease fat than junkies..

when?
omg..

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:56 PM

I know that Liuna wants to build the King William building before starting on this one, but does this development have an approximate start date? This big empty hole kind of sucks, especially considering how awesome it is going to be once completed.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 10:06 PM

Is there any update about this project? Last week I was able to a some machinery moving in that "hole".

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClo View Post
Is there any update about this project? Last week I was able to a some machinery moving in that "hole".
Nothing to report at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I know that Liuna wants to build the King William building before starting on this one, but does this development have an approximate start date? This big empty hole kind of sucks, especially considering how awesome it is going to be once completed.
I wouldn't expect anything construction related to start now that winter is approaching.

If anything, I can see marketing for sales beginning in the spring and then construction once they hit a sales milestone.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything construction related to start now that winter is approaching.

If anything, I can see marketing for sales beginning in the spring and then construction once they hit a sales milestone.
Back of the Capri is supposed to be demolished starting November 14th.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 9:03 PM

Back of the Capri got demolished on Saturday.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:22 PM

Does anyone know when actual construction could start?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton