HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1641  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:20 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 18,500
I used the airport a few months back and by far the biggest line up was for Tim Hortons at the departure lounge. There's only one staff. Security was a breeze, probably five or six staff and check in was a breeze too. The only hold up was Tim Hortons, took me about 30 minutes to get coffee to bring on the flight.

One big change I noticed was the international arrival, finally got to use that arrival tunnel and check-in customs was much bigger. PLEASE don't bring those stupid customs machines, it's major pain, scan passport, grab the printed ticket and present to staff like three or four times before finally exiting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1642  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:27 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,256
I have no idea who would pay for the expansion. The City does not have that kind of money allocated in its budget forecast. Would tradeport pay for the capital upgrades? Does it make sense for the city to own the airport? Or would it be better to sell it to a private player with the financial resources to upgrade and expand easily.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1643  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:33 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
I have no idea who would pay for the expansion. The City does not have that kind of money allocated in its budget forecast. Would tradeport pay for the capital upgrades? Does it make sense for the city to own the airport? Or would it be better to sell it to a private player with the financial resources to upgrade and expand easily.
Our airports are already private, have been for about 30 years (since Mulroony). All capital projects come from the private sector, government hasn't been involved in a long time.

The city or province don't need to put in a dollar.

Province and Feds only get involved in small airports for the most part.

How are airports currently work. Land is Federal, a private airport authority rents land from government for a fee and operate the airport self financing everything. For example T1 in Toronto is all private money when it was built. The Calgary international wing is all private money. Anything that will happen to Hamilton will be private money.

The reason airports in this country get upgraded and expand, and things like public transportation doesn't - private sector is doing it. Trade off is we have things like Airport improvement fee's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1644  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:39 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Even an express GO bus to Aldershot GO train (where you can buy a pass to include transfer onto train).

Issue is Aldershot to Hamilton airport is about 30 KM. Tough to do an express.

The airport isn't near any major nodes or hubs for public transportation for the GTA. It will probably be an airport where people drive for a long time.

From Europe flying to Toronto seems to get cheaper every year with all the low cost carriers coming in, it will be interesting to see if the GTA proper chooses to fly this or goes to Pearson.

With that said the Hamilton, Burlington, Niagara, Cambridge and, Brantford and maybe even a place like London ON, could help sustain these flights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1645  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:49 PM
NortheastWind NortheastWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Our airports are already private, have been for about 30 years (since Mulroony). All capital projects come from the private sector, government hasn't been involved in a long time.

The city or province don't need to put in a dollar.

Province and Feds only get involved in small airports for the most part.

How are airports currently work. Land is Federal, a private airport authority rents land from government for a fee and operate the airport self financing everything. For example T1 in Toronto is all private money when it was built. The Calgary international wing is all private money. Anything that will happen to Hamilton will be private money.

The reason airports in this country get upgraded and expand, and things like public transportation doesn't - private sector is doing it. Trade off is we have things like Airport improvement fee's.
A lot of YHM's infrastructure improvements on airside were the result of government grants, which TradePort received by showing little revenue on the applications.

A new terminal building would be financed through Vantage Airport Group (formally YVR Airport Services), which TradePort is part of.

Last edited by NortheastWind; Jun 21, 2018 at 5:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1646  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:14 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,985
Norwegian's Flight schedule

Dublin Airport and John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport

Daily – Flight
D8 1840 Departs DUB 14.40 | Arrives YHM 17.25

Daily – Flight
D8 1841 Departs YHM 19.45 | Arrives DUB 07.30 (+1)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1647  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:47 PM
DDP DDP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
A lot of YHM's infrastructure improvements on airside were the result of government grants, which TradePort received by showing little revenue on the applications.

A new terminal building would be financed through Vantage Airport Group (formally YVR Airport Services), which TradePort is part of.
the grants were brought in when the airport had declining passenger counts, those are always available to smaller airports across the country. It won't be a regular thing for Hamilton, especially as it adds to airlines and services.

What is happening with the airport museum portion of airport? That space used to be for passengers as well was it not? That could be brought back into the airport one day if they fully expect more airlines to fly out.

Any real expansion will be done with private money as you noted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1648  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:31 PM
JakeLRS JakeLRS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Here is how the terminal is currently setup (a boarding desk might be out of place)

Will be interesting to see HOW they expand the terminal.

YHM 4 by freerealms454, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1649  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 8:55 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Species: Homo Hamiltonus
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
I have no idea who would pay for the expansion. The City does not have that kind of money allocated in its budget forecast. Would tradeport pay for the capital upgrades? Does it make sense for the city to own the airport? Or would it be better to sell it to a private player with the financial resources to upgrade and expand easily.
I believe the city still owns the airport. TradePort operates it under a long-term lease, and aside from investment from businesses at the airport they've been the major investor in changes.

For something big, I suppose they could ask the city to contribute (or help make the case for senior government funding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Issue is Aldershot to Hamilton airport is about 30 KM. Tough to do an express.

The airport isn't near any major nodes or hubs for public transportation for the GTA. It will probably be an airport where people drive for a long time.
I agree auto access will dominate, but don't see why the distance makes it tough to do an express shuttle service to LSW GO. It would be heavily subsidized for sure (unless flights really ramp up) but I think it's very do-able. Might even be more feasible if there's a stop in Ancaster or off Upper James near Rymal or the Linc to provide service to train commuters.

All-day all-week service by the HSR connecting to downtown would help too, not just A-Line 20 during weekday peak periods.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1650  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 10:24 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,985
The airport and most if not all airport do not rely on public transport to get passenger to the airport. Yes some people do and I have used public transport here and abroad to get to an airport. Staff working at an airport uses public transport the most.

In a resent survey, Hamilton Airport found that 20% of their passengers come from east of Toronto (the other side) and drive. You will see taxis, limos and airport shuttles from Halton, Peel, Niagara, Haldimand, Norfolk, London, Kitchen-Waterloo etc. all the time. You will see dealer ads on the back of vehicles from all over southern Ontario parked in the lot and dropping off passengers. You will see Licence plates from New York State and occasionally from Pennsylvania in the parking lot.

Parking is cheap at YHM. $60.00 for the week. At YYZ parking that close to the terminal can cost you from $32 to $65 a day.

The price is a big factor in where people fly out of. But people will also look at ease of getting there and other costs including how much time people spend getting to and from the airport, time to the plane in the terminal and time getting off a plane and picking up your bags and going through customs. Globespan did very well when they were in Hamilton, running around 95% full all the time. At the time they were screwed by their credit card clearing company, they were planning to go all year round and expand their operations from Hamilton and base planes here.

There are short and long term plans being developed by the airport. There is lots of times during the day the airport is empty! They are giving incentives to the airlines to use those parts of the day. The weakest points being check in and screening.

They have been burnt in the past by an airline pulling out and leaving them 2 weeks from starting construction. They were going to fund that expansion all themselves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1651  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:45 AM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Our airports are already private, have been for about 30 years (since Mulroony). All capital projects come from the private sector, government hasn't been involved in a long time.

The city or province don't need to put in a dollar.

Province and Feds only get involved in small airports for the most part.

How are airports currently work. Land is Federal, a private airport authority rents land from government for a fee and operate the airport self financing everything. For example T1 in Toronto is all private money when it was built. The Calgary international wing is all private money. Anything that will happen to Hamilton will be private money.

The reason airports in this country get upgraded and expand, and things like public transportation doesn't - private sector is doing it. Trade off is we have things like Airport improvement fee's.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I think hamilton is a bit different in that the lands arent owned by the feds like pearson, rather the City is the owner. Could the city sell the airport to transport canada who owns pearson?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1652  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:42 PM
NortheastWind NortheastWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I think hamilton is a bit different in that the lands arent owned by the feds like pearson, rather the City is the owner. Could the city sell the airport to transport canada who owns pearson?
Transport Canada sold the airport to the City for $1 because it was always in the red. Airports still owned by TC, (I believe there are nine) are operated by airport authorities. Hamilton is privately run. TradePort still has 18 years before their lease is up for renewal, so I don't see TC taking ownership anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1653  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:10 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Species: Homo Hamiltonus
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,344
I recall the proposed plans from the early 2000s basically involved rebuilding the terminal over its current footprint, expanding on the west and east sides. The 2010 master plan put the next phase of expansion along the north side of the current terminal, a 2-level addition with passenger waiting room on the second floor, and new baggage claim facilities on the first.

Another option may be to build a completely new 2-storey terminal on the north third of the parking lot (may need to include a garage), then extend a pier across the site of the current building once it's demolished. Or modify the old plan and build new directly east of the current terminal, demolish the old building and extend the new facility west.

Those options would all need to be staged to make sure things can keep running smoothly.

Perhaps a completely new site should be considered instead, either on the west or east side of the airfield? If the cargo business keeps growing, that may make more sense than trying to cram everything into the southeast section of the airport land. That would mean new access roads, parking, and apron though, and possibly purchasing additional land.

All this is academic until the demand is consistently there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Here is how the terminal is currently setup (a boarding desk might be out of place)

Will be interesting to see HOW they expand the terminal.

YHM 4 by freerealms454, on Flickr

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 23, 2018 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.