HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 4:12 AM

The Cheese Shoppe on Locke, I always thought was pretty expensive, but I figured there would be enough people to support it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 12:35 PM

Freshii restaurant chain to open Hamilton location

Hamilton Spectator

Healthy fast-casual restaurant Freshii is opening its first location in Hamilton.

The new store, at 1591 Upper James St., opens for business Feb. 29.

Now operating in 80 cities and 15 countries, the chain offers "nutritious meal choices that energize people on the go" consisting of a customizable menu of breakfast, soups, salads, wraps, bowls, burritos, frozen yogurt, juices and smoothies.

The company was awarded 2013's Top Franchise of the Year in Canada.

Freshii is also behind Fresh Startups, a technology accelerator that invests in young technology companies and has teamed up with Free the Children to build school kitchens and vegetable gardens in developing communities worldwide.

The Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/63...lton-location/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
The Cheese Shoppe on Locke, I always thought was pretty expensive, but I figured there would be enough people to support it.
Maybe the rent is being increased to a point where it's no longer profitable to operate there. A move to Ottawa Street would be great!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 8:14 AM

There's a new place opening at 109 James (at York) called L'Etranger. It's at the very least a bar since there's a liquor license on the door...not sure about the food offerings yet.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
There's a new place opening at 109 James (at York) called L'Etranger. It's at the very least a bar since there's a liquor license on the door...not sure about the food offerings yet.
That's strange.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Maybe the rent is being increased to a point where it's no longer profitable to operate there. A move to Ottawa Street would be great!
Apparently they are going to focus solely on their wholesale business.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
That's strange.
or Stranger

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:14 PM

Sasso Pizza

Sasso opened today. Upper James at Rymal. http://www.sassopizzas.ca

That area is becoming a magnet for new restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:22 PM

From the Facebook page of "The Tavern on George" today.

It is with a heavy heart that I speak to you all today, the Tavern on George is closing it's doors for good.
Thank you all for your support and encouragement. It's been a hell of a ride with you all and a privilege to host so many amazing people.
Hope you'll miss us as much as we'll miss you.
Cheers

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:55 AM

For Sale: Turn-Key Local Independent Coffee House

Date Listed 24-Feb-16
Price $119,000.00
Address 312 King St E, Hamilton, ON L8N 1C2, Canada

Located in the heart of Hamilton, Ontario’s International Village BIA, incorporated in 2012 and opened in August 2013, Cafe Oranje is already an established coffee shop and is active in the local small-business and coffee community.

Sale price: $120,000

Chattels and fixtures included:
Cafe Oranje is incorporated and so as seller, our preference is a share sale. No outstanding debts exist.

Chattels include:
All Social Media channels: twitter, instagram & Facebook at @cafeoranjeham
Website, www.cafeoranje.ca
Dropbox & Google Drive accounts (with all historical documentation & photo libraries, more than 1000 photos)
Point-of-Sale - iPad w/ Touch Bistro
Espresso machine - (Dalla Corte Evolution 3-Group)
Coffee grinders (4) - (Mazzer Super Jolly, Mahlkönig K30 Twin, Bunn G3, Baraza Encore)
Coffee brewer - (Fetco CBS 20232-e)
Hot water tower - (Bunn)
Coffee production apparatus
Refrigerators
Display coolers
Panini Press, Soup Crock, VitaMix Blender
Dishwasher
Under-counter ice maker
All cabinets & shelving
All tables/bars & chairs/stools
All current inventory (food/coffee product & retail products)
All crockery, cutlery, etc

Location and description:
Cafe Oranje, Inc is located at:
312 King Street East
Hamilton, ON L8N 1C2

Copy of financials or summary:
By year-end 2015 (Jan to Dec)
* Total income = $171,611, a growth of 18.8% from year-end 2014
* Cost of goods = $75,039
* Gross profit = $96,571, a growth of 16.5% from year-end 2014
* Rent and insurance = $ 13,752; with 2.5 more years to go on the lease
* Accountant-created financials from inception in August 2013 to December 2015 can be shared with an interested party, after a confidentiality agreement is in place.

Hours of operation: Monday to Friday: 7am to 5pm, Saturday: 8am to 4pm, Sunday: 10am to 4:30pm

Preferred closing date: asap

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-indu...teLocale=en_CA

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:09 AM
Hammer'd

Weird, their twitter doesn't say anything about them closing any time soon? I'm a little confused...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 10:45 AM

Owner is moving to Amsterdam.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Weird, their twitter doesn't say anything about them closing any time soon? I'm a little confused...
I was just in there talking with Chris. There are no plans to close at all. Not timeline for sale either. Business as usual for now.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 5:53 PM

10 FOODIE RESTAURANT STOPS IN HAMILTON ONTARIO

Posted by Sharon Mendelaoui | Mar 23, 2016

Quote:
I love getting invitations to visit regions in Ontario that I haven’t been to. Hamilton Ontario has been on my list for some time now as a city close to home that I must discover more of. It is just an hour drive from Toronto and I don’t know why I haven’t made more of an effort to discover it more throughly. Recently I was invited by my friends at tripcentral.ca to attend a mini food tour of Hamilton Ontario Restaurants to get a feel for the growing food scene in the area, and I jumped at the opportunity.

Hamilton’s food scene is quite impressive and I know on this one day tour I only got a very small taste. I can’t wait to visit the city again and learn more about what it has to offer for those vacations close to home.
http://www.dreamtravelmagazine.com/1...lton%20Ontario

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Sasso opened today. Upper James at Rymal. http://www.sassopizzas.ca

That area is becoming a magnet for new restaurants.
Tried it out yesterday. I wasn't too impressed. The food was okay but doesn't feel like an actual pizza bar. Kinda cold and the pizza selections were odd, no typical pizza toppings. For an individual sized pizza the price ranges from $15 to $18 so it ain't cheap. The menu was kinda light too, basically choose from two types of salad (caesar or kale), pizza, wings or 3 or 4 selections of sandwiches.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Tried it out yesterday. I wasn't too impressed. The food was okay but doesn't feel like an actual pizza bar. Kinda cold and the pizza selections were odd, no typical pizza toppings. For an individual sized pizza the price ranges from $15 to $18 so it ain't cheap. The menu was kinda light too, basically choose from two types of salad (caesar or kale), pizza, wings or 3 or 4 selections of sandwiches.
ya it was ok, not amazing. they had pasta and oysters on the menu too though. they're more of an Italian pizza bar so hence the lack of traditional toppings and more Italian style toppings

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:08 PM

Lou Dawgs is open in Hess Village now.

And "Nique", a restaurant which was supposed to open at King William/Wellington is now aiming for somewhere on James North in the fall. No specifics yet.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 10:52 PM

Get ready for ‘pop-up’ patios on Hamilton’s streets this summer
(Stoney Creek News, Kevin Werner, Apr 29 2016)

Are Hamilton’s commercial areas ready for “pop-up” patios on parking lots?

Hamilton politicians approved a motion at their April 27 council meeting requesting staff to examine a pilot program that would allow local businesses or BIAs to establish temporary, seasonal patios and seating areas using on-street parking spaces. The program would begin in 2016.

“This is very innovative and non-expensive for the taxpayer,” said Mountain councillor Donna Skelly who supported the idea.

She said after the reconstruction of Concession Street last year, there are some businesses which would benefit from the extra business by allowing outdoor patios on the street.

“This is an opportunity for Concession Street,” said Skelly.

Mountain councillor Terry Whitehead also supported the motion, introduced by Ward 3 councillor Matthew Green. But he wanted to allow patios for commercial areas that are not in a BIA. Whitehead also insisted that business owners who want to establish patios on the street have the proper insurance.

After some squabbling among councillors, Whitehead’s amendment was approved by council.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:00 PM

Hamilton’s summer of the patio
(Hamilton Spectator, Andrew Dreschel, May 2 2016)

Mayor Fred Eisenberger has laid his cards on the table. The patio table, that is.

Eisenberger says the bylaws that forbid live and amplified music on outdoor patios are as senseless as the widely mocked ban on tobogganing, which council finally overhauled last year.

"Right now, there is a flat-out, outright ban throughout the city for any kind of music or live entertainment anywhere on a patio anywhere in the city," he told councillors.

"(It's) kind of like the tobogganing rule. You know what, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and I'm hoping that we can find a path where we make some sense out of that and make some allowances, with obviously appropriate restrictions."

This isn't the first time Eisenberger has talked up relaxing the music ban. The difference now is he has a chance to do something because the long-anticipated debate is finally in sight.

Jason Thorne, general manager of planning and economic development, hopes to put a report before council by July.

Thorne says the restriction on live music will also be up for discussion in May and June as part of engaging the public over proposed changes to commercial-mixed used zoning and zoning along the LRT corridor.

He plans to combine feedback from those meetings with a review of how other municipalities handle noise and time-of-day issues. The goal is to provide council with amendment options that strike a balance between helping bars and restaurants thrive without negatively impacting surrounding neighbourhoods.

"The spirit of what we're looking at is we want to be open for business; we want to be able to help businesses be successful, and a number of businesses have said they want to have the ability to do this," Thorne said.

"But we also know the downside to that. We know the impacts that can have on neighbours and surrounding businesses."

The issue of moderating the music ban stems directly from the squabble with the upscale waterfront restaurant Sarcoa, whose patio parties generated complaints and bylaw charges.

Sarcoa, which is still alive and kicking, is now suing the Hamilton Waterfront Trust and city over allegations they breached their lease agreement by not exempting it from the noise bylaws.

During his council meeting pitch, Eisenberger argued that patio music would add a "whole other level of vitality" to the city.

Tellingly, he made his comments during a discussion over a new pilot program also intended to generate some vigour and verve by allowing businesses such as restaurants and coffee shops to open temporary "seasonal patios" at on-street parking spaces in commercial districts.

Council hasn't approved the plan yet, but it tasked staff to develop guidelines with the goal of being ready for his summer.

"We're going to have to move fast but I'm pretty sure that we're going to get something before council in early June, and if they're happy with it then the program can open," said Thorne.

Seasonal patios would feature more durable structures than the "pop-up patios" that take over parking spaces for only a day or two. Thorne figures they'd be in operation for a couple of months at a stretch — from, say, June or July to September or October.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:25 PM

A new brew pub, carrying forward the same ideals as Bread and Roses (which had the space before HH) and Homegrown Hamilton, will be opening at 27 King William.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...-king-william/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation