HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
The Renaissance may not be pretty, but as the above photo clearly demonstrates, she (they) are the prettiest girls in a bar full of dogs.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The Renaissance may not be pretty, but as the above photo clearly demonstrates, she (they) are the prettiest girls in a bar full of dogs.
You bet and that was my point, it's a step in the right direction for downtown London. Seeing how successful selling wise these have been I would imagine we are going to see bigger and better residential towers downtown sooner than later. Even Tricar themselves said they are already looking for more land downtown.

Maybe farhi will one day build his 30 story nice glass vision lmao

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
You bet and that was my point, it's a step in the right direction for downtown London. Seeing how successful selling wise these have been I would imagine we are going to see bigger and better residential towers downtown sooner than later. Even Tricar themselves said they are already looking for more land downtown.

Maybe farhi will one day build his 30 story nice glass vision lmao
Yeah, our hopes that Farhi would build a nice glass condo on the prime downtown riverfront land that he owns here in Windsor are fading fast. Has he built anything nice yet in London?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Density will come in time, but these ugly towers make a statement that London is content with 70's crap. We have so many blocks of twin tower concrete crap. Why is this still happening in 2012 when cities our size and smaller are building so much better? I am now less interested in height than I am in design.
Who said I was talking bout height density? I was actually talking about people density in the downtown.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 8:44 PM
bro

Smile

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 12:40 AM

Great shot! The setting sun is nice in this photo!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
wicked vantage point.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:42 AM
bro

Smile

No real changes since the last picture, but here's Ren 2 from The Forks:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:41 AM

Taken just a couple of days ago.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I had lunch with the family last sunday at Covent Garden market. Sitting on the second level and looking out the window to the southwest, with the Ren towers rising above the restaurants on King, it was almost a big city vista.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:02 PM

Dear London, you've always been like a big brother to Windsor and we are proud of your growth. Even though some of you have grown complacent and feel it's not fast enough, you are growing, changing and building and seeing some resurgance in your downtown core.

Be proud London, don't count yourself short.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:32 AM

I was just wondering since im not from London, Whats with all the tower twinning in you city? Not that its a bad thing, but i was in town for a meeting and i thought i had eye problems seeing 2 sets of towers in each direction. its interesting.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:18 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCityFreePress View Post
I was just wondering since im not from London, Whats with all the tower twinning in you city? Not that its a bad thing, but i was in town for a meeting and i thought i had eye problems seeing 2 sets of towers in each direction. its interesting.
After 9/11, we felt the world needed more twin towers to make up for the destruction of those two. Since we already had the TD twin towers and the Talbot twin towers, we thought "well why not make a few more to match 'em?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I had lunch with the family last sunday at Covent Garden market. Sitting on the second level and looking out the window to the southwest, with the Ren towers rising above the restaurants on King, it was almost a big city vista.
Covent Garden Market, surprisingly, has been very well-done. The name is a little ripoff-ish but the building itself is open and airy, and has a good variety of stores.

Another great London vista can actually be found on Richmond Street between Fanshawe Park and Sunningdale Roads. It's really neat because you can see tower blocks, church spires, office buildings and a few UWO landmarks poking out of the trees. If you have enough of an imagination, you could almost mistake it for a small English city.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:09 PM
User Registered

Twins are simply cheap to construct. Just reuse or mirror the design you already have and boom you don't have to go through the effort to design a new building. Most twins in London are exactly this, with the exception of City Centre and Two London Place (if it gets built) which are shorter.

The view from the market will look even better if Covet Place is built. See some pics of it in the downtown vision: http://www.london.ca/Planning_and_De...pt_28_2011.pdf

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^lovely renders. "London is the city of opportunity!"

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Covent Garden Market... The name is a little ripoff-ish...
The name has been used for over 150 years. If that's a bit ripoff-ish, then so is the Thames River, Lambeth, Windsor, Cambridge, York, New York, Yorktown, Adelaide, Middlesex, etc. It's what British settlers did when immigrating to the new world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
...If you have enough of an imagination, you could almost mistake it for a small English city.
If London Ont were in England right now, it would be the 10th largest metro area. Not exactly a small English city.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
If London Ont were in England right now, it would be the 10th largest metro area. Not exactly a small English city.
Well, every country has different rules for "metro area". I looked at the list of city populations for English cities. It listed Bristol as 558,000. If Bristol was judged by Canadian "metro areas", I can assure you it would be well over 1 million people.

So, I am not sure London, Ontario would be included in a list of top 10 cities in England. Probably not even in top 20.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 9:58 PM
Sanity merchant

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:20 PM

So you didn't understand what I was saying. A metro in Canada is different than a metro in the UK (or any other country for that matter).

You can't just say that London, Ontario is the same size metro as Bristol, UK or that London, Ontario would be England's 10th largest city because the Canadian standard for a metro is different than the UK. I live in Bath and work in Bristol and I can assure you that Bristol metro is much larger than London, Ontario. It is over 1 million people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol (look at the population table).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:06 AM

Sorry boys. Just quoting the Wikipedia for England metro pops. Perhaps the yardsticks are different. I was wrong under such pretenses.

Last edited by Snark; Apr 1, 2012 at 4:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates