HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 9:40 PM

Future skyline

Hey everyone
I am wondering if there are any people out there who are good with photoshop and could do a photo shopped skyline with bella towers finished as well as all the phases of the Royal Connaught Project?

Thanks

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 11:07 PM
Dustin William

Photoshopping Hamilton's Growing Skyline

I use Photoshop for a living - I have a lot of 3D mockups of conceptual buildings I've posted in the "if you were a developer" forum. I'd love to mock up something of all of the current project approved/built/being built. The thing with this is that these projects don't have that much height compared to whats already up there. The Connaught would be the tallest of the ones to be built. City Square - the taller one to be built will be more noticeable as well. The Hilton I find from most angles doesn't really appear like much unless right down there by it. Bella might be more noticeable as well. I'll see what I can do though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Hey everyone
I am wondering if there are any people out there who are good with photoshop and could do a photo shopped skyline with bella towers finished as well as all the phases of the Royal Connaught Project?

Thanks
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 12:35 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I have one on sketchup, but my laptop can't run it too well. I posted a pic somewhere though.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I have one on sketchup, but my laptop can't run it too well. I posted a pic somewhere though.
Do you have any idea where it was?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 2:39 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Despite Hamiltons size and skyline...I always tend to chuckle when I hear "future skyline" for this town only because nothings really changed since 1991.

That said, I'm quite pleased with the amount of development downtown right now...finally...so if anyone was to make a future skyline attempt for the Hammer, it'd be appreciated!

I still love Al Frisinas quote (guy who built Landmark Place) saying no other building will be built in Hamilton taller than Landmark Place because as he puts it; 'the demand's not there and nobody's crazy enough to do it.'

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:21 PM

I posted this in the Future Canadian Skylines thread a few months ago. Some of the proposals have changed a bit since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Just using paint, I filled in most of the major projects in downtown Hamilton that will have a big impact on the skyline.
All of the buildings, except two, have either been approved or are under construction. The two buildings that have not
yet been approved, should be, when the full plan is revealed within the next 2 months.

*The location for the 44 floor tower has not been released yet, but it is rumored to be built on the location of what is currently Sir John A.
MacDonald Secondary School, so that is where I put it.

Photos Taken By: Jaybird | Posted On: skyscrapercity.com | Edited By Me

And here is Beedok's rendering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
A rendering of Hamilton I'm working on. Green is under construction, blue is proposed. Everything else exists. I still have a fair number of buildings left to add, but I've got all the major proposals and construction projects in at this stage and I'm not sure how clear they'll be later, so I thought I would post.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:07 PM

Thanks guys, if that new carmens hotel is buils and all the phases of the Royal Connaught get built thouse along would really change up the skyline!

Last edited by urban_planner; Jul 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:13 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Thanks for finding that. It is obviously missing a good chunk of existing stuff, but it gives the view well enough.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:07 AM

I think this came from the Urban Design document as part of the Conolly development application:

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:42 AM
Ham-burgher

They put the Connaught in the wrong place. It should be behind Landmark Place (maybe just partly blocked)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:18 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah, thats way off. They put it in between CIBC and the Piggot building for some reason. The artizen building would also be just to the right or slightly in front of the Stelco tower.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:56 PM

I think my future skyline renders are the most up-to-date ones right now...

source

source

Large Size:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 4:40 AM

I made a new future skyline rendering in Google Earth. There are a few developments that I still have to add, but here's what I have so far...

Red = Proposed
Green = Approved
Orange = Under Construction/Site Preparation

Source: Google Earth/My Render

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 5:10 AM

I really don't think it's worth adding in the Hamilton Hammer to these renderings. That was literally a napkin sketch from years ago and doesn't hold much validity.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 5:30 AM

I'm including every development that hasn't been officially cancelled, still has a thread, and is still moving forward in some way. Even if the renders are old and we know the development is getting a redesign, I'm keeping the most current design in as a placeholder basically.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 8:43 AM

Quote:
I'm including every development that hasn't been officially cancelled, still has a thread, and is still moving forward in some way. Even if the renders are old and we know the development is getting a redesign, I'm keeping the most current design in as a placeholder basically.
I get that, but it's not often that developments get an official cancellation.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 1:38 PM

I'd forgotten about the Hamilton Hammer building, so when I looked at these was wondering what that interesting building was. Absent that, there's nothing with really interesting massing that's been proposed. I don't think Hamilton's skyline is likely to get much more exciting (I think it's a pretty good skyline as it is, now).

My most usual view of the downtown is from the west, and the last significant addition to that view wound up being a pretty boring stucco job. Maybe the views from the escarpment will be improved if the Connolly happens, and by the Tivoli which might look nice from afar.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 8:27 PM

I don't think having an impressive skyline is nearly as important as how the city feels from it's streets. I do however think that our skyline is incredibly diverse, and will only get more diverse as things are built up.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I don't think having an impressive skyline is nearly as important as how the city feels from it's streets.
I agree strongly with this. And, for all some people lament about the relatively poor skyline Hamilton has, I never fail to be impressed by it when returning to the city. It really does look like a 'big city' from a far to me. And then, of course, most neighbourhoods even downtown are incredibly hostile to people on foot, and wide inner-city expressways make coherent street walls impossible.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Quote:
I don't think having an impressive skyline is nearly as important as how the city feels from it's streets. I do however think that our skyline is incredibly diverse, and will only get more diverse as things are built up.
I agree strongly with this. And, for all some people lament about the relatively poor skyline Hamilton has, I never fail to be impressed by it when returning to the city. It really does look like a 'big city' from a far to me. And then, of course, most neighborhoods even downtown are incredibly hostile to people on foot, and wide inner-city expressways make coherent street walls impossible.
I think unless the city was design for walking, and cycling as primary, and driving as secondary modes of transport people tend to be less hostile towards Pedestrians. Unfortunately (in my eyes anyway) Hamilton has not been built as being pedestrian friendly. I've seen some cities that where once very hostile toward pedestrians now are actually turning around to becoming more walking, and cycling friendly. I don't think Hamilton could, or would make the same changes these cities are making, and have made. I've seen a lot of development going on in Canada with a lot of European influences within the last 5-10 years. (Europe being for the most part very pedestrian, and cyclist friendly)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos