HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:16 PM

New Bike ways and side walks

I drive Cannon daily and with the heavy snowfall? I saw the bike lane being cleared and brushed right down to the bone with a sweeper.
The sidewalks that parallel the route is snow covered and icy. Barely toyuched!
So the pedestrians just march down the bike lane.
There is money to clear the bike route but not the sideways.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:44 PM

In a lot of municipalities around here, the municipal government clears the sidewalks. I’ve read that the added cost amounts to a few dozen dollars a year per household.

Sidewalks have been pretty terrible this winter in my experience, and there is limited enforcement of the existing bylaw.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:47 PM

... plus enforcement is useless. By the time 24 hours goes by, and someone calls, and it's addressed by the city, and eventually cleared, days have gone by and anyone who isn't young and fit has been denied the basic human right of mobility. And it only takes one slacker property owner to render an entire block impassable.

The current setup of "it's the law" for citizens to clear snow off city-owned sidewalks is quite ludicrous, especially in areas of the city where people have chosen to live specifically because they want to walk everywhere - either because they have no choice or because they've made that choice.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 6:30 PM

The truly nutty thing is that we don’t need to scratch our heads and consult with other municipalities to figure out how to go about getting it done- it’s already done in one of our former municipalities!

In Ancaster, homeowners do not need to worry about clearing their sidewalk, and people getting around on foot do not need to worry about whether homeowners have done it. And the cost? Less than ten dollars a household.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:12 PM

Found this page online today. I looked through all the possible threads posted under "Transportation" and thought this was the most fitting, though it could have gone under a few other adequate threads just the same.
However....

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...e7d798791c0e11

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:03 PM
Ham-burgher

This is a really terrific! And long overdue.

I love the paved paths through Mountain Drive Park and along Mountain Brow Blvd east of the Kenilworth loop-de-loop to Mohawk Rd. This is planned to eventually run all the way from Iroquoia Heights to the Devil’s Punchbowl, making use of existing trails where possible.

Hamilton Coun. John-Paul Danko uses $150,000 to start construction of Mountain Brow pathway

https://www.thespec.com/local-hamilt...w-pathway.html

By Kevin Werner
Mountain News via The Spec
Thu., Oct. 21, 2021

Hamilton Mountain Coun. John-Paul Danko has offered about $150,000 to begin the design and construction of a portion of the proposed 25-kilometre Mountain Brow multi-use pathway.

Danko’s funding, approved at the Oct. 18 public works committee, will concentrate on building the pathway between Fennell Avenue and Sam Lawrence Park.

Danko said since the pathway, approved by council in 2018, is expected to be constructed over a 20-year period, he wants to accelerate the pathway within his Ward 8 area.

“I wanted to get the ball rolling,” said Danko.

The money will come from the Ward 8 capital investment reserve.

He said since the creation of the Keddy Access Trail, it has become a destination transportation link for residents. The multi-pathway will connect with the Keddy Trail at Upper James eastward to Sam Lawrence Park. Danko said designing and building the multi-use pathway would be easier to accomplish than in other areas. He said extending the pathway to Fennell Avenue and Garth Street will be “relatively complicated” because of the need to get approval from Hamilton Health Sciences and the Niagara Escarpment Commission.

The estimated cost to build the entire 25-kilometre pathway is $9 million. It will include benches, lighting, fencing fountains, signs, and branding. Staff and councillors have said the pathway will be built in stages, with segments prioritized in conjunction with other infrastructure projects such as roadways.

full story here

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:38 PM

Not sure how they're going to make a path that goes to the Devil's Punchbowl when it needs to cross Centennial.

This past summer I rode from the Punchbowl to a friends house off of Second Rd. and it wasn't the safest ride. Ridge Road west of the Punchbowl was fantastic as it was newly paved and had nice curves, but there's no bike lane. Luckily it's not very busy.
Crossing Centennial from Ridge is dangerous, and even riding up Centennial to the lights on Green Mountain Rd. is hairy with all the cars zooming by.

Anything to make this a safer and more enjoying ride I'm in favor of.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:09 PM

Got distracted yesterday, so forgot to post this, but now that someone pulled the thread back up

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:08 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Not sure how they're going to make a path that goes to the Devil's Punchbowl when it needs to cross Centennial.

This past summer I rode from the Punchbowl to a friends house off of Second Rd. and it wasn't the safest ride. Ridge Road west of the Punchbowl was fantastic as it was newly paved and had nice curves, but there's no bike lane. Luckily it's not very busy.
Crossing Centennial from Ridge is dangerous, and even riding up Centennial to the lights on Green Mountain Rd. is hairy with all the cars zooming by.

Anything to make this a safer and more enjoying ride I'm in favor of.
Definitely a problem to solve. The article mentions that one, and others (Garth and Kenilworth; Scenic Drive was noted too, but I'm not sure why... it's got a lot of traffic calming measures).

At the end it says "Other routes for the trail include Sanatorium Road, Claremont Access/Jolly Cut, Mountain Brow Boulevard, and using First Road East/the Dofasco Trail in Ward 9"... maybe the intent around Centennial is to put a crossing at the lights at Green Mountain and then take it over to First Rd. that way. That's a bit of a detour though, and you'd have to somehow prevent people from trying to cross at Ridge.

Best option would be a bridge over the Centennial cut.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:58 PM
It's a nickname from work

A bridge over Centennial would be difficult, because all of the land on the other side is privately held - including my dentist oddly enough - though if it could be done it would be the best option. The next best choice for crossing Centennial I think looks to be some sort of separated crossing at about Ridge or so.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 2:47 AM

The preliminary plan from 2018 shows the trail really running through Heritage Green Park and ending at First Rd W then continuing as a bike lane to Centennial, crossing Centennial along Green Mountain Road, and continuing along Green Mountain and up First Rd E as a paved shoulder. So the most bare basic cycling infrastructure in other words. The trail basically ends at Centennial when the bike lanes end.

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...-march2018.pdf

It's a shame, a dedicated trail through along Green Mountain Road to the Devil's Punchbowl and new Saltfleet Conservation Area would be a great amenity.

I do believe the city has long term plans for some sort of trail connection along Centennial right from the lake all the way up to Binbrook, but again, long term. The first phase from the lake to Confederation GO might happen as soon as next year, but not really any info on any further extensions further south.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 4:01 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
A bridge over Centennial would be difficult, because all of the land on the other side is privately held - including my dentist oddly enough - though if it could be done it would be the best option. The next best choice for crossing Centennial I think looks to be some sort of separated crossing at about Ridge or so.
I wonder if there's a buffer between the private land and the edge of the cut?

The other complication there is the Niagara Escarpment Commission -- this would have to be something acceptable to them (not that I'd think they would oppose a pedestrian/cycling bridge... it just may have to fit their vision)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The preliminary plan from 2018 shows the trail really running through Heritage Green Park and ending at First Rd W then continuing as a bike lane to Centennial, crossing Centennial along Green Mountain Road, and continuing along Green Mountain and up First Rd E as a paved shoulder. So the most bare basic cycling infrastructure in other words. The trail basically ends at Centennial when the bike lanes end.

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...-march2018.pdf

It's a shame, a dedicated trail through along Green Mountain Road to the Devil's Punchbowl and new Saltfleet Conservation Area would be a great amenity.

I do believe the city has long term plans for some sort of trail connection along Centennial right from the lake all the way up to Binbrook, but again, long term. The first phase from the lake to Confederation GO might happen as soon as next year, but not really any info on any further extensions further south.
Thanks for finding that.

For the Red Hill Valley Parkway crossing it looks like they're expecting people to go down the hill on the Red Hill Trail and come back up again on the other side of the RHVP. That too is not ideal.

Based on Google's current satellite view, there's a paved portion of the former Mud and Mount Albion intersection that still exists. A bridge over the RHVP-to-Mud ramp and another over the parkway itself farther north near the tip of that Mt. Albion roadbed might work, at more expense of course.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 3:19 PM

https://hamilton.bidsandtenders.ca/M...c-03611dededd9

file:///C:/Users/onthe/AppData/Local/Temp/C15-10-21%20TR-1.pdf

Not sure really if this has been posted elsewhere. The first link will bring up three tenders the middle one being new bike curbs that are to be completed by November 26, 2021. The second link brings up the pdf regarding the new construction, which you can only download on the first link and it is the middle one called "York Boulevard - Bicycle Barrier Curbs"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure