HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It's actually going to be something called Footaction which is a small branch of Footlocker. Another outlet? Lol

https://www.apparelnews.net/news/201...n-coming-dtla/
Broadway will be the outlet destination. Hard to convince non-outlets otherwise with how bad Historic Core has gotten lately.

Updated cycle sheet - if anyone has info to help me fill in the blanks please let me know.
2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle by Hunter, on Flickr

Some pics from this morning:

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

12th & Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis by Hunter, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 12, 2016 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:55 PM

Thank you for the photo updates.

I am glad that they are stripping away the surface parking lot for the Mack Urban - Project.
AECOM is doing a fantastic job in South Park.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:07 PM

Quote:
That project died due to opposition from the neighborhood. They kept delaying it which killed the project. Mack Urban has no other towers planned that we've seen thus far announced. The 37 story is under way. City Century will be in a few months and Onni's towers seem to be imminent.
City Century meaning their 24 story, their 37 story, or both?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
City Century meaning their 24 story, their 37 story, or both?
I was referring to the Mack urban 37 is under way. City century still has the 24 and 38 story and they will be breaking ground later this year.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the Mack urban 37 is under way. City century still has the 24 and 38 story and they will be breaking ground later this year.
What a time to be alive

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101
It's actually going to be something called Footaction which is a small branch of Footlocker. Another outlet? Lol

https://www.apparelnews.net/news/201...n-coming-dtla/
Broadway will be the outlet destination. Hard to convince non-outlets otherwise with how bad Historic Core has gotten lately.
This is false. Foot Locker is a thriving retail brand with an exclusive partnership with Nike (http://www.mediapost.com/publication...aft-stars.html). Footaction is not an outlet, but a brand underneath their umbrella which targets limited releases for sneakerheads. It is a store for the "premium market" (http://marketrealist.com/2016/06/ret...store-formats/)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
That project died due to opposition from the neighborhood. They kept delaying it which killed the project. Mack Urban has no other towers planned that we've seen thus far announced. The 37 story is under way. City Century will be in a few months and Onni's towers seem to be imminent.
So its been confirmed that its for sure dead? I know on the old page when it was brought up, some said it was dead and some said it was stalled.

Just the idea of it being blocked by other people in the community pisses me off. If you live in any downtown district you literally should have NO right to any type of

: view, calm alley way (which I think was one of the complaints here), no say in how tall something is or how dense something is or how many units something has or if electronic billboards should or should not be allowed.

Its crazy nonsense. When you move downtown you should automatically leave the suburban mentality where its at and embrace the city life instead of fighting it.

Its a shame. I liked this tower (besides the excessive parking). It wasn't ground breaking architecture but it was some of the best infill we've had proposed (in my opinion)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:16 AM

Apex II is well underway; asphalt is cleared, a 3-4 story auger drill is onsite, and I could hear pounding from what sounded like pilings being driven into the ground. It looks like a full speed ahead construction site!! Build baby Build!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
So its been confirmed that its for sure dead? I know on the old page when it was brought up, some said it was dead and some said it was stalled.

Its a shame. I liked this tower (besides the excessive parking). It wasn't ground breaking architecture but it was some of the best infill we've had proposed (in my opinion)
I actually heard that the site sold to another well known (at least to us downtowners) apartment developer. That was a few months ago though. Not sure if that closed, but the plan was to build a tower with those entitlements.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:10 AM

Quote:

Just the idea of it being blocked by other people in the community pisses me off. If you live in any downtown district you literally should have NO right to any type of

: view, calm alley way (which I think was one of the complaints here), no say in how tall something is or how dense something is or how many units something has or if electronic billboards should or should not be allowed.

Its crazy nonsense. When you move downtown you should automatically leave the suburban mentality where its at and embrace the city life instead of fighting it.

Perfectly said.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:48 AM

Agreed. The whole idea of the residents losing their shit over sunlight and apartment views is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You live in DOWNTOWN. A booming neighborhood with a future in URBAN development. What do you expect to happen to your parking lot across the street? It's a shame we lost it and I hope the buyer plans to bring the project back but in the meantime..

I went ahead and updated the front page to include 888 Hope(34 story), Apex(28 story), and Mack Urban(37 story). They're tearing up the asphalt and that's good enough for me. It kinda made me sad seeing the dwindling proposed and approved projects because we don't have much left to look forward to. Crossing my fingers for Hanzen. I REALLY want that built. I'm headed to downtown tomorrow to take some photos.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 10:46 AM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy331 View Post
I actually heard that the site sold to another well known (at least to us downtowners) apartment developer. That was a few months ago though. Not sure if that closed, but the plan was to build a tower with those entitlements.
It's possible that we might have the same sources on this. They tried to sell the land to Trumark Urban (makers of 1050). From my understanding, the deal fell through sometime late in 2015. This is, what I would call, trusted rumors since I trust the people who have told me relatively specific information.

So i would call it dead since they tried to offload the property. I expect someone will buy the land and build something there, it's just a matter of when.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:45 PM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:36 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/hotel-planned-near-usc-campus

Seven-story, 275-key dual branded hotel planned on Figueroa Street, north of USC campus.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Agreed. The whole idea of the residents losing their shit over sunlight and apartment views is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You live in DOWNTOWN. A booming neighborhood with a future in URBAN development. What do you expect to happen to your parking lot across the street? It's a shame we lost it and I hope the buyer plans to bring the project back but in the meantime..

I went ahead and updated the front page to include 888 Hope(34 story), Apex(28 story), and Mack Urban(37 story). They're tearing up the asphalt and that's good enough for me. It kinda made me sad seeing the dwindling proposed and approved projects because we don't have much left to look forward to. Crossing my fingers for Hanzen. I REALLY want that built. I'm headed to downtown tomorrow to take some photos.
I agree. To be completely honest. IF we were able to get the Luxe site to break ground (allegedly suppose to happen next year?) I would be fine with this "cycle/boom" quieting down. Just to see how good or bad the current stock of housing and etc reacts with the market.

I was thinking the same thing. We have a lot of projects breaking ground but the list of approved and proposed projects are starting to shrink. Granted we had our last proposal last month with the 8th/fig site. We seem to get a proposal every other month this year which is pretty good by LA standards. I think what we're experiencing is "lack of mega project fatigue" since the last one we have left, so far, is the Luxe site.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
I agree. To be completely honest. IF we were able to get the Luxe site to break ground (allegedly suppose to happen next year?) I would be fine with this "cycle/boom" quieting down. Just to see how good or bad the current stock of housing and etc reacts with the market.

I was thinking the same thing. We have a lot of projects breaking ground but the list of approved and proposed projects are starting to shrink. Granted we had our last proposal last month with the 8th/fig site. We seem to get a proposal every other month this year which is pretty good by LA standards. I think what we're experiencing is "lack of mega project fatigue" since the last one we have left, so far, is the Luxe site.
For me Luxe isn't really that high on the list of projects I'm anticipating. I'd be fine if it doesn't get built this cycle. I'd much rather see 4th/Broadway and 4th/Hill get built. And the Onni towers on Flower which seem to be imminenet. With all these projects and others u/c or finished from this cycle, our skyline will essentially have grown by 50%.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:40 PM

Is there any reason to believe Shenzen Hazens won't follow through with 1020 Fig? They've announced a 2017 start date -- still a year out. Seems like Chinese money tends to follow through with such mega-projects. I can understand throwing around smaller projects (Lizard In, etc.), but not a $1-2bn development.

I'm more curious about Lightstone's announcement to build two towers on the Hooter's lot adjacent to Circa. Seems their Moxy Hotel chain is expanding nicely, and DTLA is a very logical place to move into. If this comes through along with 1020 Fig (not even mentioning the Onni towers on Flower), the once-barren stretch across from Staples/ConvCen will be filled in quite nicely.

Last edited by headcheckjj; Jul 13, 2016 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Is there any reason to believe Shenzen Hazens won't follow through with 1020 Fig? They've announced a 2017 start date -- still a year out. Seems like Chinese money tends to follow through with such mega-projects. I can understand throwing around smaller projects (Lizard In, etc.), but not a $1-2bn development.
Considering how many mega projects have been scrapped or taken decades to come to fruition (looking at you Metropolis), it's not too farfetched to be skeptical about Luxe. Also factoring in the Chinese economy right now and that 2017 start date might make Shenzen Hazens a little late to the party.

Who knows, I'm crossing my fingers for a gigantic street wall down Fig but if we have to wait a little longer, so be it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Considering how many mega projects have been scrapped or taken decades to come to fruition (looking at you Metropolis), it's not too farfetched to be skeptical about Luxe. Also factoring in the Chinese economy right now and that 2017 start date might make Shenzen Hazens a little late to the party.

Who knows, I'm crossing my fingers for a gigantic street wall down Fig but if we have to wait a little longer, so be it.
I would think a shaky home economy is EXACTLY why SH would want to park their money in a relatively safe place like Los Angeles. And the fact that they announced a deal with W Hotel not even a year ago (in the very middle of, mind you, the tumble of the Chinese stock market) seems even more promising.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
I would think a shaky home economy is EXACTLY why SH would want to park their money in a relatively safe place like Los Angeles. And the fact that they announced a deal with W Hotel not even a year ago (in the very middle of, mind you, the tumble of the Chinese stock market) seems even more promising.
I agree, but I still won't hold my breath. Not saying it's never going to happen, but I'm not banking on a 2017 start date just yet. That's my own personal skepticism as I've been let down many times before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations