HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:30 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post

Next up for completion is The Venue down the road. From their facebook page on August 6th:

Are they going to leave the ground floor exterior finish as exposed CMU?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:02 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Not sure what they are doing on the alley face, but this is what they are doing for the base at the streetfront:

Unfortunately, a lot of the residential stuff in the region is still of fairly low construction quality. It always makes me laugh that people are willing to pay the prices they are asking for this stuff. And, even more than that, that's likely to continue as the most prominent developers are two or three locals who are enamored with bright-colored panel-faced crap (i.e. Marketplace, Midtown, Outfield, The Venue...). Provident Place, which is going to go up a block or two east, will be of slightly more interesting variety:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 9:47 PM
Registered Ugly

As a long-time resident of the east side, it’s really difficult for me to stomach this stuff. I’d probably be more okay with infill, but the demos make my gut turn.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 11:59 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Not sure what they are doing on the alley face, but this is what they are doing for the base at the streetfront:

Unfortunately, a lot of the residential stuff in the region is still of fairly low construction quality. It always makes me laugh that people are willing to pay the prices they are asking for this stuff. And, even more than that, that's likely to continue as the most prominent developers are two or three locals who are enamored with bright-colored panel-faced crap (i.e. Marketplace, Midtown, Outfield, The Venue...). Provident Place, which is going to go up a block or two east, will be of slightly more interesting variety:

They're both pretty weak, IMO. I guess the second one makes an attempt at mixing up the facades at least.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 4:36 AM

It's better than the crap his brother puts up all over the city. This is Midtown down the street:

Of the Outfield:

And certainly better than the mess that is Marketplace, which is currently getting its second wing (ugh):

The last thing the creators of the Venue and Provident put up down the street is more substantial, if even the faux-balconies are ridiculous:

Avenue Flats

The Gillespie Company

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:45 PM

The capitol commission began a massive geothermal project beneath the west lawn of the capitol to upgrade and modernize the structures heating and cooling system.

Quote:

Dale G. Young | The Detroit News

Michigan Capitol going green with geothermal

By Jonathan Oosting | The Detroit News

August 15, 2017

Lansing – The Michigan Capitol is going “green and clean” with a new geothermal heating and cooling system that officials say will be the largest of its kind at a state government building in the country.

Drilling for the 500-foot-deep geothermal field is set to start later this year as part of a larger $70 million infrastructure upgrade already underway at the 138-year-old Capitol. While it will cost nearly $4 million upfront, officials estimate geothermal will save the state $300,000 a year on heating and cooling costs and pay for itself in roughly a decade.

It will mean “utility independence, cost savings and clean, green energy,” said Tim Bowlin, chief financial officer and project manager for the Michigan Capitol Commission. “The wells have a 50-year guarantee, but we’re anticipating 100-plus years.”
224 individual bores are being driven. It will take two years.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:03 AM

East Lansing has moved forward on loosening restrictions in East Village to allow for taller residential development.

Some background on East Village. The area is immediately east of North Campus and bound by Grand River to the north, the Red Cedar to the south, and Hagadorn to the east. It was originally platted for single-family homes, but by the 60's and 70's as MSU exploded with growth it was filled in mostly with apartment complexes and buildings. All existing single-family housing was turned into rentals during the 70's. It's most well known nationally for having been the source of most of the city's student riots. East Village is actually the rebranded name of the area to disassociate it from it's original name: Cedar Village.

The name change came about in 2004 as the city sought to zone the district in such a way as to push the student population out of the area so as to be able to ostensibly "improve" it, and by 2006 the city had drawn up a master plan and came up with a form-based code to do this: East Village District Code. The form-based code required new development to be mixed tenancy; generally the goal was to have an equal mix of student rentals, mixed-market rentals and owner occupied housing. What was also driving this revisioning of the area was that the city had also been working with a developer, and entered into a rough agreement with them August 2006. By the fall of 2009 the plan had failed because of the recession leaving the entire district in limbo. Because of the new form-base code, landlords weren't able to make certain improvements to their properties in the district since so many of them were now deemed non-conforming exacerbating the districts limbo status.

Anyway, with downtown East Lansing starting to overflow with upcoming development and having seen the error of their ways in trying to micro-manage, the city has been moving forward fairly quickly this year in revising the form-based code for the area to lessen some of the stricter requirements, and letting the market guide more of the redevelopment of this area.

Specifically, whereas any new building in the district was required to have groundfloor retail/office space, it will now only be required along Grand River Avenue, though new buildings in certain parts of the district are permitted to have this usage. Given how narrow the district is from north to south, this makes sense. As for height of buildings in the district, the "as of right" height remains the same at 112 feet, as does the 140 feet limit which can be permitted by the council on a special case basis. The difference for the special case basis, however, is that it has been widened from "a building of significant public benefit" to "As long as the additional building height will cause no significant negative impact on adjacent properties, public streets and parking facilities, or public utility and services." which essentially turns the 140 limit into an "as of right" height.

Not huge changes, and in fact you could still make an argument that the city should have stuck to its guns given that they were pushing for mixed-usage in East Village. But the code has not only not attracted the redevelopment the city hoped for, but also stifled current property owners from improving their properties. There is another legitimate criticism, though, and that's that it was made because a Chicago developer wants to build this at the corner of Bogue and Grand River, which would have had a tough time getting past the current form-based code given the height and tenancy:

Core 1 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Core 2 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Core 3 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:10 PM
Registered Ugly

I guess I never realized that this thread was in the Midwest subforum only. Has anyone given any thought to moving this thread over to the general development forum? Sure, it's not that big of a city, but there seems to be a lot more attention over there.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:37 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I guess I never realized that this thread was in the Midwest subforum only. Has anyone given any thought to moving this thread over to the general development forum? Sure, it's not that big of a city, but there seems to be a lot more attention over there.
I've thought the same thing - also for the Flint and Ann Arbor threads. I'm subscribed to them, so it doesn't really matter to me where they are categorized, but I agree they would get more exposure if moved. Heck, even Kalamazoo is under the City Compilations forum (for the three people who care).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 4:31 AM

I really like it here. I think development threads for small cities get higher quality comments and discussions when they are more localized. If you all feel very strongly about this, however, I'd seriously consider it.

The Lansing Board of Water and Light released their final plans - the thing is already under construction - for their controversial Central Substation project at Washington and Malcolm X. It's controversial, as it demanded a relocation of a public garden and historic home. BWL argued that this was the only feasible location for the project, which was really nothing short of a lie, but they won out anyway. Activist, however, have forced them into making it as nice as they can. This is what they've come up with:

Substation by NewCityOne, on Flickr

substation2 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

substation3 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

substation4 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

substation6 by NewCityOne, on Flickr

The existing substation is at the Eckert Station power plant a few blocks to the south. Since Eckert is being decommissioned in 2020 and since it sits in a floodplain, they had to move out somewhere. Why they couldn't have moved it to one of General Motors' parking lots literally a block or two from here, they've only explained that they couldn't reach a deal with them, but they never showed any proof of this neogitation. They also say that to connect it to the new REO Town Co-Generation Plant down the street, they had to place is on Washington, but they were later forced to admit they lied about the conduits' locations in the area.

The now demolished sunken gardens, which were completed in 1930:

Friends of Scott Sunken Gardens

Rendering of the relocated sunken gardens:

Last edited by LMich; Aug 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 5:54 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
I really like it here. I think development threads for small cities get higher quality comments and discussions when they are more localized. If you all feel very strongly about this, however, I'd seriously consider it.
I had thought about putting the Ithaca Development thread in the Northeast subforum, but there just isn't very much traffic there (though I did put State College there).

It's a tough call to move this one. Yes I agree there are many more views in the main general development thread, but unless there is enough development info to keep a thread going, a thread can drop down quite quickly.

I do check the sub forums fairly often to see what's going on in the smaller cities, but then again I'm a big fan of smaller cities.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:23 PM

Had no idea this one had gone vacant, but it's basically the only major building left vacant in Old Town:

Quote:

Alexander Alusheff | Lansing State Journal

$1.6M Old Town project will transform historic building into lofts

By Alexander Alusheff | Lansing State Journal

August 24, 2017

LANSING - One of the last vacant buildings in Old Town will be transformed into luxury lofts.

Developer Tom Arnold bought the three-story building at 204 E. Grand River Ave. for $34,400 in 2015, according to property records. He's planning a $1.6 million renovation project. The historic building was constructed in 1890 and designed by architect Darius Moon, who designed the ballroom additions to the Turner-Dodge house in 1903.

"Tom puts a lot of pride and passion into his redevelopments," said Vanessa Shafer, executive director of the Old Town Commercial Association. "Having such a big and beautiful building go without a tenant for so long has been a source of sadness. We're glad to see a new addition to our Old Town family."

The project will have commercial space on the first floor, two micro-lofts on the second floor and two two-story lofts on the third floor and roof.
To be clear, this building was occupied with ground floor retail space and upper-story apartments not tat long ago.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 11:09 PM
Registered Ugly

I remember that one being occupied. Those upper apartments looked pretty awesome.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 11:43 PM

I used to drive by at night, sometime, and someone in one of the upper units had a strobe light or something. It look like some crazy parties took place up there at one time.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 12:18 AM

Well, this is good news. Holt, Lansing's first suburb south of the city, is looking to densify it's tiny downtown crossing, and the Gillespie Company - who is developing Provident Place and The Venue, above - has proposed a two-building, 60-units development at Cedar and Holt.

Quote:

$12M project in downtown Holt will add restaurants, apartments

By Alexander Alusheff | Lansing State Journal

August 30, 2017

HOLT - Developer Scott Gillespie is planning to build two buildings with apartments and restaurant space on a large vacant lot downtown.

The $12-million Esker Square project will be located on Cedar Street between Bond Avenue and Veterans Drive. Two 45,000-square-foot buildings will house 60 apartments and 28,000 square feet of retail space.
Quote:
Gillespie, of The Gillespie Co. plans to break ground on the project in the spring. The building is called Esker Square after the glacial formation that once cut through the township. An esker is a narrow ridge of gravel and sand deposited by a stream flowing underneath or within a glacier.
BTW, the the "glacial formation" is still visible in the form of the string of lakes and ponds which were created when they dug out the eskers for gravel and sand and such for local construction. The esker is even more visible going through Lansing and stretches down to Mason.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:39 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ I like to see projects which add residential and densify downtown areas.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 6:21 AM

MSU finally found something else to do with their huge commuter lots.

Quote:

More efficient than paradise

By Lawrence Cosentino | Lansing City Pulse

September 8, 2017

MSU solar carport array will be the biggest in the nation

Lord, how can we ever atone for paving paradise and putting up a parking lot?

Two words: Solar carports. Last week, students, staff and even game-day tailgaters at Michigan State University nestled under a vast, roosting swarm of silver metal wings that are descending by the thousands onto the alfalfa fields and turf-grass testing areas of south campus. Even monster RVs parked and partied under the 14-foot clearance of the carports with ease.

Five of MSU’s largest parking lots, with a combined acreage of 45 acres, are being outfitted with the nation’s, and possibly the world’s, biggest array of solar carports.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:23 AM

Our retiring mayor's harebrained scheme to sell the current city hall site to developers for a hotel is still moving forward. Here are the four proposals for the site:

Beitler

Boji Group

Urban Systems

Karp and Associates

Current building

Lansing, Michigan City Hall by Jordan McAlister, on Flickr

Last edited by LMich; Sep 13, 2017 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:05 AM
Registered Ugly

I thought that Lansing had some sort of non-compete with Radisson, which was a stipulation required of the city in order for them to even locate there?

That Radisson is a real piece of shit, BTW.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:10 AM

One of the other reasons this is happening now is that the non-compete clause expired in January. It's now an expressed goal of the city to attract more hotels downtown. Never made since in a city this size that you'd only ever have one downtown hotel.

An interesting thing I learned about the deal with the Radisson is that it never barred another hotel from downtown, rather it barred the city from offering another hotel any incentives to locate downtown. Since that's the way business seems to be done in Michigan an older cities in other states, it was effectively a ban against another hotel, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest