HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I think Hillhurst officially goes to 19th street, and West Hillhurst is to Crowchild from there.
Not to nit-pick, but West Hillhurst actually goes from 18th street all the way past Crowchild all the way to 28th Street

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:38 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Not to nit-pick, but West Hillhurst actually goes from 18th street all the way past Crowchild all the way to 28th Street
Ok, so we were all wrong about Hillhurst/West Hillhurst. But at least there is no Kensington. What's after West Hillhurst? Parkdale?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:40 PM
Fake News

How about Greyhound Decapitation Meadows?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Ok, so we were all wrong about Hillhurst/West Hillhurst. But at least there is no Kensington. What's after West Hillhurst? Parkdale?
Yep. Heres the best resource for community boundaries: http://www.calgaryarea.com

If you go into the maps then into any community there is a 'community info' page with the full set of boundary roads.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:04 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
If your brothers' business goes bankrupt, the creditors can't get money out of you or your business just because you are brothers.

However, if both brothers are co-owners of the bankrupt company, their creditors can hound them both. However, they can't make claims against your personal property or assets that weren't part of the the bankrupt company. CPR and Canadian Creosote are 'sister companies' but have separate assets. When Canadian Creosote goes bankrupt, the creditors can't make claims any of the CPR assets.

How many times have you heard of a company declaring bankruptcy, and it is revealed later that before declaring bankruptcy the owner has moved assets out of the company into a new company 'owned' by the wife or kids. Even though the new company was purposefully set up beforehand to receive assets from the old company before it went into bankruptcy, the creditors can't chase after that new company or its owners (even if the new companies' owners have a family relationship to the owner of the bankrupt company).

BTW I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.
There is a perfectly legal mechanism for this - known as Special-Purpose Entities, or "Bankruptcy Remote" Entities.

Although Canada Creosote was not an SPE, it's long before SPEs were developed.

Torode made extensive use of SPEs with the Arriva Project and other projects ; that way even if the project fails and goes into bankruptcy, the primary entity can remain viable.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:05 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Torode made extensive use of SPEs with the Arriva Project and other projects ; that way even if the project fails and goes into bankruptcy, the primary entity can remain viable.
Too bad all his other entities plus the primary one decided to fail also.

A failure cascade if you will. Or is it cascade failure?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 10:10 PM

I just moved some of the off-topic stuff over to the main thread, so lets try to stick to topic here.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 10:22 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

What is the topic here? Oh yeah, Creosote village.

Anybody have any idea what the plan is for Bow Trail. I personally like the boulevard idea near the river, but it would have to be done amazingly well so as not to cut off the community from the river. I just don't like any idea that splits Bow Trail into two one-ways cutting through the area. Reminds me too much of 11th and 12th in the Beltline.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 11:59 PM

I wonder if Bronco has decided to put this vision forward to get things moving before elections... It could help with votes or at least give him some credit later on when/if it does happen.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I just moved some of the off-topic stuff over to the main thread, so lets try to stick to topic here.
That has to be a first. Moving off-topic stuff to the Calgary Construction Thread?

Anyway, here's an article that was posted in the aforementioned thread:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...698/story.html

Here's the rendering from that article:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 12:42 AM

Someone had asked previously if all those condo buildings pictured in the West Village rendering were going to look the same. I think the rendering shows these condo buildings moreso to demostrate height and massing than for appearance. The final appearances will be unique I am sure!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:03 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Actually in Canada like the US, in a number of circumstances parent companies can be held liable for certain claims against their bankrupt subsidiaries. But that is beside the point.

(EDIT)In any event I talked to the CPR today and they did infact own Canadian Creosote(EDIT) - which did NOT go bankrupt. The Calgary site ceased operating in 1962 and through a confusing series of transactions the remains of Canadian Creosote are owned by a German company today, only one former facility continues to operate in Hamilton.

The provincial and federal government each contributed approximate $10,000,000 to the clean-up.

Quote:
If your brothers' business goes bankrupt, the creditors can't get money out of you or your business just because you are brothers.

Last edited by Policy Wonk; Aug 20, 2015 at 7:36 AM. Reason: This was just plain wrong, the CPR only at one time owned the land, I melded two unrelated statements.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:06 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Someone had asked previously if all those condo buildings pictured in the West Village rendering were going to look the same. I think the rendering shows these condo buildings moreso to demostrate height and massing than for appearance. The final appearances will be unique I am sure!
Usually renderings like this reflect the allowable density (FAR), set backs and massing regulations as well as the development potential based on infrastructure etc. Usually what is built in no way reflects what is built in terms of style.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Actually in Canada like the US, in a number of circumstances parent companies can be held liable for certain claims against their bankrupt subsidiaries. But that is beside the point.

In any event I talked to the CPR today and they did infact own Canadian Creosote - which did NOT go bankrupt. The Calgary site ceased operating in 1962 and through a confusing series of transactions the remains of Canadian Creosote are owned by a German company today, only one former facility continues to operate in Hamilton.

The provincial and federal government each contributed approximate $10,000,000 to the clean-up.
So let's leave the past -um- buried, and get moving on this.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:08 AM

WTF, I really hope the rendering doesn't reflect the scale of the proposal, as it is rather underwhelming. This is an awesome parcel of land. IMHO, they should just scrap the Westbrook / Chinook TOD's and build a Coal Harbour scale highrise community here instead.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 9:38 AM

^Why not build in all three places? The thing is that there will likely be many "theys" (private developers) involved over a number of years in all three locations, plus the East Village. What does scrapping the TOD plans in these locations (i.e. disallowing land sales and development permits, since the plans and land use changes are already done) accomplish?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:05 PM

^I think it would be great if all the planned "villages" (East Village, West Village, Westbrook, Ramsay Exchange, and any others I've missed) could be built out first before any more suburbs are started. There is so much opportunity to be had in these inner city sites, and I'm sure there are many others like me who would love to be living in the inner city again!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 5:28 PM

Both the conceptual renderings for the East and West Village seem to come with a lot green roofing. Is there any chance that at least some of the proposals will have to adhere to any sort of green roofing policies, or is that mostly just for show?

To my knowledge, my letter has not yet been printed in the Herald.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:23 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Both the conceptual renderings for the East and West Village seem to come with a lot green roofing. Is there any chance that at least some of the proposals will have to adhere to any sort of green roofing policies, or is that mostly just for show?

To my knowledge, my letter has not yet been printed in the Herald.
I think I will write a letter too. But send it to FFWD, the Sun, The Globe and Mail and the Herald. Maybe by tomorrow.

As to your question about green roofs, I think it is more of a marketing thing that actual policy. I don't think legislating green roofs would fly. However, a matching fund for green roofs city wide could be a good idea.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 9:02 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
So let's leave the past -um- buried, and get moving on this.
Unfortunately when it comes to redeveloping virtually any urban area what was there before is more important than what is still to come.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues