HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
The amphitheatre is going to look nice.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/jumpboise?v=photos

That's gonna make for some killer games of bocce ball. I like playing in Julia Davis but you have to carry a goose poop rag for your balls.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
They should have put an outdoor public ice rink for the winter somewhere on that property.

I'm so torn on that building still though.
I know what you mean. I can't decide if it's creative or wacky. Maybe I'll go with unique...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:23 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
I know what you mean. I can't decide if it's creative or wacky. Maybe I'll go with unique...
I'm not sold on it either but it boils down to this: private property rights. The right to own and develop property is absolutely fundamental to our society. As a remodeler, I'm just blown away by all the building and zoning codes. I can have one nail missing and have an inspector fail the framing inspection yet a block away could be an illegal duplex or triplex conversion and they do nothing about it. But it's what separates the hatchet jobbers from the professionals.

About the picture of the mock up. It shows loads of mature trees. Yeah right. Look at The Grove. Those honey locusts have taken 20 years to get 1/2 mature size. 2 of them died last year and were replaced with 3 or 4 inch caliper babies. Due to the sandy cobbly soil, downtown seems a difficult place for large trees. Just saying.

Last edited by boisecynic; Feb 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
About the picture of the mock up. It shows loads of mature trees. Yeah right.
I actually noticed/thought about that myself.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 1:05 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I thought that too about the trees, but new trees are better than no trees or what is currently there or not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
That's gonna make for some killer games of bocce ball. I like playing in Julia Davis but you have to carry a goose poop rag for your balls.
Those Canadian geese sure like to spread their poop about.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:27 PM

Thanks Boisekid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisekid View Post
In response to Cottonwood's inquiry of IBR's JUMP article...

JUMP plans being worked out with city and transportation planners

Jack’s Urban Meeting Place construction could begin by the end of the year.

Simplot spokesman David Cuoio said the Simplot team is finalizing details about the $70 million project with the City of Boise and the Ada County Highway District before building permits can be secured.

“We will be working out some details with Design Review, but don’t anticipate any major issues in regards to them,” Cuoio said.

Boise Planning Director Hal Simmons said work sessions will be scheduled with the Simplots when detailed renderings are submitted to the planning department.

“There are some questions about exterior materials, colors and final landscape plans,” Simmons said. “Some specifics about some other buildings on the site will also be worked out.”

Additionally, a required vacation request application was submitted to ACHD the week of Mar. 7, said ACHD spokeswoman Christine Myron.

It addresses potential access or land issues near where JUMP would be built between 9th and 11th streets in downtown Boise.

The process includes inviting property owners within 300 feet of the construction site to a meeting, and also completing a multi-page application that must be submitted to ACHD for consideration.

Also called a “vacation” of public right-of-way application, it refers to the acquisition of unopened or unused public areas that ACHD determines is no longer necessary for use.

“Ultimately, the ACHD Commission will determine whether or not to approve the requested vacation,” Myron said. “The applicant is also required to have the area appraised and if approved, pay fair market value for the portion(s) of right-of-way.”

If the request is approved, the Simplots have 120 days to pay ACHD based on the property appraisal. The entire process takes approximately two months, Myron said.

Cuoio said besides construction planning, the Simplots are also talking to local non-profits about what kinds of uses they would like to see at the facility when it is built.

“There are so many possibilities as far as programs for the studios,” Cuoio said. “We are looking at all of them.”

JUMP will house five different working studios, meeting spaces, and an outdoor amphitheater. It is intended as a tribute to late industrialist and potato magnate J.R. Simplot.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 2:50 PM

I know I posted a news flash about Esther Simplot Park in the Boise main thread, but this is really good news. The adjacent Whitewater Park received funding earlier this year and phase 1 is set to be completed next year? (Boisecynic probably has this info) - and now the Simplot family has donated $$$ to complete the 55 acre Simplot park over the next couple of years, which I am sure is at least one million or more. And the 30th Street expansion is taking place soon, so these projects in that area will all fall in line about the same time The Simplots and their Foundation are really giving back to Boise with this park and JUMP. Plus the newly elected people for the Auditorium District have mentioned they want to involve the Simplots regarding the convention center expansion while they build JUMP. I didn't realize they convention bureau has $10 million set aside for the expansion.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...k-project.html

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:59 PM

Woo hoo!
Just before this thread falls to the 2nd page of the forum I notice an update at the JUMP Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/jumpboise

From the link:

JUMP Boise: The groundbreaking date has been a moving target, but we are expecting to break ground by the end of the year or early 2012. Watch for activity on the site this fall with the demolition of a few vacant buildings along 9th Street.
Yesterday at 11:57am ·

Here is what appears to be a newer image on Facebook. Once JUMP is built Lady Gaga will have a new venue for a music video

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 10:20 PM

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...-11_DR(WS).pdf

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2011/...-planners-say/

Note that this article states that JUMP will be built near downtown lol.
(until they maybe amend this typo in the article). So that means that the IBR offices right across 9th Street (from the JUMP lots) in BODO and one block from The Grove Plaza are near downtown too?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 1:37 AM

I'm really excited for the jump project, although I'm not too happy with the circular tubes on the sides of the model. It just seems way out of place and not something you'd want to see Downtown. Other then that, I really want them to hurry up and begin construction on it either this fall or this coming up spring. I'm kind of tired of staring at bare lots.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I'm really excited for the jump project, although I'm not too happy with the circular tubes on the sides of the model. It just seems way out of place and not something you'd want to see Downtown. Other then that, I really want them to hurry up and begin construction on it either this fall or this coming up spring. I'm kind of tired of staring at bare lots.
I'm with you!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 9:14 AM

So does anyone know exactly what's taking so long for them to begin fencing off the four-block area? I believe their done with the initial design review. Are they still waiting for ACHD to approve the road changes or something?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 12:36 PM
not a cynic

Fencing the site? They still haven't torn down Esther's old warehouse even though they evicted the tenants in December. December 2009 that is. And if it takes them as long to build JUMP as it did to build that Bed & Breakfast on 13th in Hyde Park... just saying.

From the City of Boise PDS PDF

Quote:
Design Review Committee Work Session September 14, 2011 Bonneville Room, Third Floor, City Hall
Worksession will begin at 4:00 p.m.

• DRH10-00178 - J.R. Simplot Foundation, Inc., SBP LLLP and JRS Properties III L.P. Location 1000 W. Myrtle Street Recommendation to the Planning and Zoning Commission on the phasing plan and phase one details for JUMP. – Sarah Schafer

• Agenda Review – Sarah Schafer • Legal Issues – Rob Lockward

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Fencing the site? They still haven't torn down Esther's old warehouse even though they evicted the tenants in December. December 2009 that is. And if it takes them as long to build JUMP as it did to build that Bed & Breakfast on 13th in Hyde Park... just saying.

From the City of Boise PDS PDF
it's completely ridiculous on how long their taking to finish the bed and breakfast. heck, i just walked by it an hour ago the inside isn't even completed or close to being completed. it's an eye sore right now.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 12:18 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
it's completely ridiculous on how long their taking to finish the bed and breakfast. heck, i just walked by it an hour ago the inside isn't even completed or close to being completed. it's an eye sore right now.
My question is, what is intended for this house after it is leased, is it retail or are they looking for someone to operate a bed and breakfast? I don't think it is really an eyesore, it looks a lot better than it did before the renovation, but the dried up grass and what appears to be a drying tree in the front yard are an eye sore especially since it is right in Hyde
Park. I happen to have a few photos I took last month.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 1:11 AM

It's not that its an eye soar. I live a block away from it and I'm just fed up with them taking forever on it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 7:43 PM

Okay wow! I've just checked the JUMP website, and guess what... no updates, it's the same story for their Facebook, and twitter page. Kind of disappointing if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 4:27 AM

Maybe someone had a moment of clarity and said "What the HELL are we doing? Why are we trying to attach 43 pieces of randomness and put it on a few acres of downtown Boise?"

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 4:52 PM

New as of oct. 4th 2011!!!

Okay so it looks like the jump project is going to happen in 3 phases instead of 2. first the underground parking garage. Then the second phase, which will be an interim park, and finally the 3rd phase which will be the museum.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/1...leap-this.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Okay so it looks like the jump project is going to happen in 3 phases instead of 2. first the underground parking garage. Then the second phase, which will be an interim park, and finally the 3rd phase which will be the museum.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/1...leap-this.html
Thanks for the update Hawk. I understood the article to say 2 phases, the underground parking and if there is a hold up for the buildings then the interim park would be planted until Phase 2, the above ground structures are built. I would think they would have the details ironed out for Phase 2 in time because it is probably going to take a while to get the underground parking garage built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West