HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Thanks, Tim, for the great visual updates!

I'm really starting to get concerned about the 3rd phase of the 20 Midtown development! A month or so ago, they were actively working to establish a stable foundation for the development, but I haven't seen ANY work at the site for a long while. I hope their just waiting to accrue enought tenants to warrant full construction. If that's not the case, with this dry (albeit hot) weather, they're missing a great opportunity to get some good work in.

BTW, the Five Points S tower is going vertical! There are reinforced concrete columns pointing to the sky. I still do not understand how they will accomodate residents with automobiles, but then again, maybe they're not anticipating residents who own vehicles.

Anyway, some great construction going on south of the tracks!
For the student residence on 20th and 10th (Ascend) there will be 2 or 3 floors of parking on the 1-3rd floors and there is a piece of property just down 10th at Arrington Blvd where the construction trailor is located will be parking there.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Nice Pics TimCity!!! On another front, Makarios on 20th and 10th Avenue S, there are fresh survey marking on their property as well drilled test holes. It does not look like the small building in back at the alley down 10th is included. Hopefully what ever is happening there, it will be included.
I am expecting a 2nd crane for the eight story portion of the dorm down on the 17th street side of the complex.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:29 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
For the student residence on 20th and 10th (Ascend) there will be 2 or 3 floors of parking on the 1-3rd floors and there is a piece of property just down 10th at Arrington Blvd where the construction trailor is located will be parking there.
I haven't the slightest clue. I can't imagine them using Brother Bryan Park. Really, the only space available adjacent to the construction site is "The Tower". But, I still can't imagine that space being used for a parking structure.

Maybe the deck used for "Pickwick Plaza" will be improved? I think there will be a limited amount of parking space, hopefully... and that UAB's transit system will make its rounds to serve the buildig. But if this building is planning on having it's own parking structure, I don't see it. It's such a small parcel.

But, I'm all for a residential tower with limited space for cars. Make people use existing transit... it's not like it doesn't already exist.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
I haven't the slightest clue. I can't imagine them using Brother Bryan Park. Really, the only space available adjacent to the construction site is "The Tower". But, I still can't imagine that space being used for a parking structure.

Maybe the deck used for "Pickwick Plaza" will be improved? I think there will be a limited amount of parking space, hopefully... and that UAB's transit system will make its rounds to serve the buildig. But if this building is planning on having it's own parking structure, I don't see it. It's such a small parcel.

But, I'm all for a residential tower with limited space for cars. Make people use existing transit... it's not like it doesn't already exist.
I don't think they will put a deck there, it was used as an overflow lot for The Break and the old Emily Shop. There is a construction trailer there as well as construction parts, I think it held about 30 to 50 car spaces. There is a small building in the back I think its called the Traffic building sitting on Arrington Blvd/21st Street directly across 10th Avenue from the Building Trades Tower.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 12:32 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The official announcement that the new BJCC stadium will be named "Protective Stadium" took place just the other day. Contracts for around $5 million, and almost $800,000 were awarded to two different companies for utility relocation and ground stabilization, respectively.

Looks like after 20 years, things are actually moving on this thing.

I'm still eager to hear announcements about the Legacy Arena renovation.

All of this info came from the Birmingham Biz Journal

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think they will put a deck there, it was used as an overflow lot for The Break and the old Emily Shop. There is a construction trailer there as well as construction parts, I think it held about 30 to 50 car spaces. There is a small building in the back I think its called the Traffic building sitting on Arrington Blvd/21st Street directly across 10th Avenue from the Building Trades Tower.
Walked by the Ascend project, there is a ramp starting at the alley and turning to the right at the back of the building, it looks the ramp is leading to a parking area.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Walked by the Ascend project, there is a ramp starting at the alley and turning to the right at the back of the building, it looks the ramp is leading to a parking area.
I'm still baffled by this tower... is there going to be sufficient, or limited, parking? I'd prefer the latter with the developer working with BJCTA.

Either way, every time I drive by this work site, the footprint just seems smaller and smaller. Kinda obvious that this is something that Alabamians are very unused to.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I am expecting a 2nd crane for the eight story portion of the dorm down on the 17th street side of the complex.
1st part of the second crane for this project is in place.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

New bids for the BJCC expansion/overhaul are ongoing. Within the past few days, work was awarded to a firm for soil stabilization. BJCC says June 6th will be the bid awarding day for stadium construction.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 9:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Here are some shots of the new bike lanes that have been introduced to parts of UAB's campus. Gotta say, I'm impressed. It would be nice if the city could use this kind of design as it continues to reduce some one way streets from 4 lanes to two way 2 lane streets.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The apartments at the former site of The Break is now at 2 floors.

Construction is ongoing at the Stonewall Building.

AND, another startup from San Francisco is moving to the Magic City!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 7:30 PM
Burming Hammer

updated rendering in the link below. this project was announced in december, but has grown from 20 units to 35. good to see a growing demand for condos instead of apartments.

Developer unveils renderings for $11M mixed-use project in Parkside

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:03 PM
Burming Hammer

SOUTHSIDE / UAB UPDATES

VESTA

ASCEND

UAB RESIDENCE HALL

UAB COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:35 PM
Everywhere all at once

Wow UAB is really acting as an agent and catalyst of change in this part of Birmingham in particular.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:41 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah, UAB is going insane right now.

i've long thought that UAB alone would be the state's 3rd or 4th best skyline (not a difficult task, i know lol)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:03 PM
Burming Hammer

Daniel Corp. begins construction on Parkside development

This is the one across from Regions Field. You'll see it in the outfield if you're sitting on the 3rd base side (facing south).

Nice to see some retail on the ground... hopefully that doesn't sit empty.

The article says 5 stories, but the rendering shows at least 6... maybe even 7.

pic from al.com:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

Sorry I could not get the full story its behind a pay wall, just glad its about to restart all the way to finish this time.

Last edited by Bamablazer; Jul 12, 2019 at 8:25 PM. Reason: to add a little more to the story.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:01 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Wow UAB is really acting as an agent and catalyst of change in this part of Birmingham in particular.
It's feeling more and more like a true residential university every day.

BTW, 2nd crane is up.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:10 PM
Cat Enthusiast

View of the Southside from Regions Field yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:07 PM
Burming Hammer

not sure how i feel about this one haha... need to see more renderings:

Student housing complex eyed for Third Avenue South

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations