HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 12:46 AM

Interesting, before seeing any of the results I figured I would favour a cable stayed or suspension type bridge and yet none of the proposals of that type would be my choice - my top five currently being in no particular order (since I haven't decided on an order yet) the two Halcrow Yolles', Marc Boutin's, and the two SPFa's. Arup/Kasian and Sturgess then are a close six and seven.

I do like the concepts in the Saucier and Perrotte design but a) am not sure of the practicality for the location and b) the tube shape is too much like the peace bridge. I think it would be great for a long +15 though where security around the dark ends would not be an issue.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 12:50 AM
Editor

The Halcrowe Yolles - Reach is probably my favorite. The Arup Kasian Glide also. The Arup glide is very nice, not something that would strike people immediately, but it's very simple and elegant.
Reach is something that would strike people immediately. Innovative also.

Some of the entries were a joke. I could fire up my 3d Studio Max and do better. I'm actually serious about that.

May the best bridge win!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 12:52 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Some of the entries were a joke. I could fire up my 3d Studio Max and do better. I'm actually serious about that.
I could give a 10 year old a box of crayons and do better, for some of them. I'm actually VERY serious about that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:14 AM
Construction Enthusiast

If only I had a little bit more time, I should have come up with a concept. It wouldn't have ended up as polished as the professional firms, but I could have designed something that would work at least.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:51 AM

I like the Busby Perkins entry. Yeah, it's kind of cliche, with the arch and the cables, but IMO, that look would be the best when coming in on Memorial drive, and in front of the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:00 AM

From early voting, it looks like SP's favorite design is brought to us by the same firm we overwhelmingly favored for Cantos. Sounds like a good little studio they've got going there!

Speaking of Cantos....we find out about the winner tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:42 AM

I'm new to this forum but this seems to be the only one discussing the competition. My picks....

Infinity Engineering's design is classy and elegant. Has landmark potential. The most symmetrical design that i've seen so far.
The french arches look interesting but too slender to be true.
The Delcan proposal seems fun but one of the arches obstructs the skyline view.

The Glide concept is like a massive concrete plateau, wastes too much material. I don't believe the flyline even works structurally.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:46 AM
Criminal Mastermind

These are my picks in no particular order:
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach): Very intriguing.. elegant, and flows well. Straightforward design, would like to see interface with the island...

Busby Perkins + Will: This will give the bridge height we've been wanting... and very Calatravaesque. I like the fact that it has two paths to the island (good for when the crowds are leaving an event on the island). Another set of twins, but at least they're bold looking.

Infinity Engineering: Very bold looking... love the flow routes. Although sail element doesnt make it "feel" Like a bridge for some reason. I worry about ice/snow buildup in the winter and if the bridge would need to get closed, and would it be easy for stupid people to climb?

Arup & Kasian: If we're not getting the Half K, I wouldnt mind getting this bridge. It's also very artistic, and free flowing. Very organic looking, and I like the plaza element.

SPF with Arup (Glide): As much as I would like to see this bridge get a tonne of height, this one is simple, and it gets you across in a hurry. Not a whole lot of fuss for maintenance I suppose.. but the stairs will turn into a skateboarders paradise if anti-skateboarding methods arnt implemented into the steps.. (could ruin the look though)... and what's under the bridge? if anything, this is where the homeless will go for shelter. Could be fixed.. I like this one..

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:59 AM

I love how infinity's rendering makes it look like you merge onto memorial going east.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:08 AM

Infinity Engineering Design

I found it to be unqiuely creative and a tasteful structure. An elegant confluence of efficient bridge designing and aesthetic beauty.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:35 AM
Round Head

People should keep in mind that these concepts were developed with $0 budgets. They're sort of an early open audition to get into the shortlist, where they are compensated and will have the chance to further refine the concepts. Now that isn't an excuse for some of the absolutley atrocious concepts within these 35, but there are some that could go from merely good to truly great in the next round.

For instance, I think the SPF proposal is extremely interesting in concept. A few tweeks here and there could make it outstanding. I would make it slighly more slender, and vary the materiality. Perhaps give the stairway a wood finishing like the new wavedecks by West 8 in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:44 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

How does SPF with Arup (Glide) get 48% of the votes?

I think it's horrible, looks like a giant maxi pad.
Plus those stairs would get ZERO use during the winter months, what's the point?

I rather Rosales + Partners, Sturgess and Infinity.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:05 AM

I completely agree with Regulator75. I don't understand how the Glide concept is on top. Looks like a highway for tanks in summer and a ski hill during winter....an island on top of an island.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:09 AM

well, I am actually very excited!

Some pretty nice proposals that have been submitted and a fair number of very nice proposals from calgarians as well! Its great to see Calgarians actually excited about this competition and architecture in general...

great for the profession, in spite of the wrong-headed memo issued by the AAA.

Not sure who is going to win, but it'll be fun to watch the events unfold!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post

Plus those stairs would get ZERO use during the winter months, what's the point?
It's you and me, buddy, vs just about everyone else.

Personally, Glide looks exactly what I'd expect Rick McIver to want in a bridge. A bland, simple ribbon of concrete with zero aesthetic charm. A plain flat chunk of rock that is pretty much the cheapest possible way to build a bridge.

Quite frankly, driving around this evening I was struck by how much interchange overpasses in this city look like the SPF proposal.

I dunno, maybe the stairs really do it for some people and could salvage this thing, but they just don't wow me in the least - at best they remind me of the stairs we already have on the north side of the Prince's Island lagoon. It's certainly not the ugliest bridge ever - if we had $5 million to spend, I'd love to see something like that. It's just that it's a very boring bridge. For $25 million I want some pizazz. Something that will impress people.

But maybe my design tastes are shit. This may be like the paneling on Le Germain - it's nice and all but I just see 1970s station wagon and Ataris, but most forumers drool over the wood laminate.

Props on having the Bow in their renderings, though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:18 AM

Haven't had much time to form a good opinion. I agree with freeweed though. The "Glide" design doesn't really do it for me. I think it's altogether too wide. As a result of this, and the even wider portion including the steps, I think it also covers up a large portion of the island and the river instread of interacting with their natural beauty.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:24 AM

+1

I am not keen on SPF either; as an idea its interesting, but functionally, well its really a combination ramp/stair...or stramp. And a massive one at that...i don't know if it actually adds any thing to the island at all (but a massive collector of floating bottles and potato chip bags under the stairs)...

and, I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but doesn't it look like some firms just went to the sketchup 3d model site and downloaded "Bridge"?!

It's odd that some proposals have 10 images and others just 3?

I'd love to see the actual proposals, because I think there's a lot of gaps and that many of the proposals that seem 'incomplete' are actually very well resolved.

exciting times indeed.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:33 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post

And speaking of which, why didn't we get Gaged?
Didn't we?

Seriously though... There are some good examples in there of why engineers should stay away from design. The most problamatic proposals were the ones that got hung up on how to deal with the island landing. There are some compelety inelegant solutions. All the Sundial and Serreria bridge ripoffs automatically lose. I can't wait to see what the Sun readership votes for.

Last edited by jeffwhit; Sep 23, 2009 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post

I rather Rosales + Partners, Sturgess and Infinity.
I think the attraction to the SPF with Arup (Glide) proposal is that it achieves something none of the other designs do by blurring the divide between the bridge and the island. The bridge becomes a part of island and the bridge also serves as a gathering space along with the connecting two points. I like the basic conceptual ideas of the Glide but in reality it's a very wide massing and would feel cold and underutilized until inner city population reaches enough critical mass to make it a lively gathering spot. Add in winter and it'll just be a giant snow drift.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
I think the attraction to the SPF with Arup (Glide) proposal is that it achieves something none of the other designs do by blurring the divide between the bridge and the island. The bridge becomes a part of island and the bridge also serves as a gathering space along with the connecting two points. I like the basic conceptual ideas of the Glide but in reality it's a very wide massing and would feel cold and underutilized until inner city population reaches enough critical mass to make it a lively gathering spot. Add in winter and it'll just be a giant snow drift.
To me, the main feature of the Glide bridge is the potential to become an iconic public gathering space. It might not look like much but, then again, the Spanish Steps are just a bunch of steps, too.

It's how it'll carry a snow load without collapsing that I wonder about, and also, exactly what is going to go on underneath that huge deck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates