HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
A new restaurant overlooking the Snake River in Twin Falls anchors a new events center that will fill the needs of a city which had limited space for events with more than 225 guests.
I need to check this place out the next time I'm down that way.

Since I grew up around the canyon it only seems appropriate.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:44 PM
Honored Member

Smile Great For Twin Falls

Quote:
Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see if the hotel is actually built, and if it will be 10 or 15 stories, or shorter...any way, it will be good for TF.
I agree good for T.F. for moving forward and developing. I, personally, wouldn't want to see a 15 story high rise hotel on the bank of the Canyon, as I believe it would detract from the view.

Also, I'll check this, but I thought I read somewhere some of those new hotels were to replace others that would be shutting down. Nonetheless, it does show T.F. to be progressive in making change.

Allowing St. Luke's to purchase the struggling Magic Valley Regional Center was a smart decision by the T.F. Counnty Commissioners. Look at Pocatello and the absolute mess they have, given PMC, the Bannock County commissioners and some physicians who keep screaming for, "local control only." More than 18 months have passed, probably close to $1 million in consultant fees and what is the results to date? Nothing except to apparently be looking for a "capital partner" (Many of whom they snubbed, when PMC still had a positive bond rating). And apparently, the Bannock County residents will vote on this mess so someone will make a decision.

I just hope St. Luke's doesn't pattern after IHC in UT.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:16 PM
Honored Member

Question Lewiston and Moscow?

Since this is the Idaho thread, just wondered if anyone knew what was happening in both the Lewiston and Moscow areas? I haven't heard of anything, and haven't been in either city for so long, I've been wondering about both. I've had a couple of colleagues leave Lewiston and relocate in the past 4-6 months, which seemed a little odd given the timing etc. Just wondered how that area of the state is doing.

Any general updates from anyone would be appreciated. I love Idaho's diversity of having a Panhandle, urban Treasure Valley area, agricultural lands, high desert, Sawtooths and Tetons etc. - not all states can offer so much within the state's boundary. However, I feel we miss news from certain areas of the state, given how far the cities are spread out.

Looking forward to some updates from those who know.

Thanks!

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:07 PM

There was some airport expansion news for the Lewiston airport that I posted in the Coeur D'Alene thread a little while back before the creation of this thread.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:52 PM

The Nampa city council approved the purchace of a block in downtown Nampa for a their new library, parking garage and mixed use development. It will be on the corner of 11th avenue and 3rd st south. I hoping this library goes through. It is going before a judge because of how the bond is being issued. People of Nampa are not being able to vote on it since it is in urban renewel district plans and thus the hang up.
More info at .
http://www.idahopress.com/?id=8527
Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky-tacky, Little boxes, little boxes, Little boxes, all the same. There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same. Reynolds

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 9:41 PM

A little something to show growth in the area:

I saw an 8B ZXXX license plate.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner View Post
A little something to show growth in the area:

I saw an 8B ZXXX license plate.

Cool. You should reach the double letters this year.

Updated:

Ada County is up to 1A VC### and
Canyon County is up to 2C DX###

I don't know that it's a good indicator of growth. The reason I say this is because every seven years new plates are required for every vehicle. Fun to watch non-the-less.

Of course North Idaho has to be different. Seen a Kootenai County plate south of town today with K 402###.

Last edited by Boizean; Jun 7, 2008 at 1:53 AM. Reason: Updated Numbers

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 11:51 PM
World Traveler

Sandpoint bypass gets July start

Taryn Hecker
June 3, 2008

Construction of the controversial Sand Creek Byway – a project that's been in planning for half a century – could begin within weeks, even as opponents fight to further delay construction.

Bids will be opened today and crews could begin work on the budgeted $85 million project soon after the Fourth of July holiday, Idaho Transportation Department spokeswoman Barbara Babic said.

Meanwhile, the North Idaho Community Action Network and the Concerned Sandpoint Businesses Association are fighting the 2.1 mile bypass, which would route Highway 95 traffic off Sandpoint's city streets.

The byway would cross Sand Creek, a Lake Pend Oreille tributary, and require dredging and filling parts of the creek. Opponents are concerned about the environmental and aesthetic impacts.

"Our primary objective always has been wanting the state to look at other opportunities and other alternatives that don't require filling 11 acres of Sand Creek and building a wall literally up the middle of Sand Creek for 1,800 feet," said Pierre Bordenave, spokesman for the Sandpoint business group. "Sandpoint's going to be looking at a 30-foot wall for 1,800 feet."

The group has filed a challenge to the state Department of Environmental Quality's permit for the project. A hearing is scheduled for next week.

Meanwhile, the North Idaho Community Action Network is seeking an injunction to stall the project until the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules on an appeal in a suit the network filed against the Transportation Department and the Federal Highway Administration.

Another suit – challenging the Army Corps of Engineers permit for the project – is pending in federal court.

"We expect a favorable ruling from the 9th Circuit," said Liz Sedler, the community action network's executive director. "That will push the project back."

Bordenave said he doubts the project will start when transportation officials say it will.

"For four years we've heard that the project's going to start next spring, next fall, next winter, next spring, next fall, next winter," he said.

Babic said the state agency has all the needed permits and approval to move forward, though.

As the start date nears, Babic said, the department will have a better idea of what kind of traffic delays might be expected.

Once work begins, Babic said, there will be weekly public meetings to provide the public with updates.

An information office has been open in Sandpoint for the past seven years, and Babic said the Transportation Department will keep that office open during construction.

Anyone with questions on the project can visit the office at 202 N. Second St. or call (208) 265-0897.
Link: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local....asp?ID=247412
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....781,497

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:40 AM
not a cynic

Regarding the Sand Creek bypass:

I don't get it. How could they be against this. Alternatives? What alternatives? 50 years from now no one will ever know about the disruption to Sand Creek.

Last edited by boisecynic; Jun 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:17 PM

More jobs for IF's brother to the south.

Premier Technology in Pocatello to expand.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=8430743

Gotta love all the growth in this state.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:59 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Regarding the Sand Creek bypass:

I don't get it. How could they be against this. Alternatives? What alternatives? 50 years from now no one will ever no about the disruption to Sand Creek.
Agreed. I understand there were some environmental concerns, but most of the reasonable environmental issues that were brought up have been addressed by now. This project is pretty much a go (except it still needs a lot of funding!).

I did some research on this project back in 2001 when I was interning for then Congressman Butch Otter. This project has been in the works for a long time!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:01 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

http://mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005121003

Last remnant of Elkhorn Resort destroyed
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:04 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?...=05&var_Day=28

Pot prevails again in Hailey
3 of 4 marijuana reform initiatives approved
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 8:18 PM

Damn yes!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 9:42 PM

OH My! Polygamists banned from Utah who now live in Canada might be crossing the border into Northern Idaho.
This news is a few years old, but an issue every Idahoan needs to be concerned about. I bring this topic up because there was recently an un-official debate about this among certain people and students at BSU's library. I happened to be around for it and it was interesting.

http://www.childbrides.org/canada_KT..._polygamy.html

"It's new to me even though I’ve lived here all my life," said Bonners Ferry Mayor Darrell Kerby.

Kerby is proud of the area's religious diversity, but says polygamy is not part of it.

"Polygamy is not protected under religious freedom in Idaho," he said.

This is kind of spooky:

There is also evidence the group is expanding in Boundary County. Blackmore talks about the "souls south of the border, 100 and growing".

"We’re in your movie theatres. We are in your stores. We are everywhere you don't know who we are," said fundamentalist Mary Batchelor.

In the last five years, Winston Blackmore and fellow fundamentalist have been buying acreage in north Idaho. The property they own sits just yards away from the U.S.-Canadian border. County property records show there are homes and a school there. Opponents of the group worry fundamentalists are setting up a border community that will one day mirror the one they established decades ago at the Utah-Arizona line.

More news:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...lygamists.html

Idaho legislators have formed a special committee to examine persistent claims that child brides are being transported through the state, as part of exchanges between Bountiful and Utah.

"We are just starting to look into it," said state Rep. Donna Boe, D-Pocatello, who co-sponsored the study proposal.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Jun 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fetching A. I typed a boo-boo.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:04 PM

Ok. Time for a change of subject.
Anybody here lurking from Salmon or Moscow or Elk City? update us!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:11 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Two of my best friends are from Salmon. One lives here in Cd'A now, the other just moved back to Salmon. I was there during the beginning of last July. No new development news that I know of. Heck, the county (Lemhi) still has less than 8,000 residents total.

Moscow doesn't have too much going on besides a little bit of U. of I. building and a ton more apartment complexes going up off-campus for the students there...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 8:20 PM
Honored Member

Question U. of I. - How Big Will it Become

Quote:
Two of my best friends are from Salmon. One lives here in Cd'A now, the other just moved back to Salmon. I was there during the beginning of last July. No new development news that I know of. Heck, the county (Lemhi) still has less than 8,000 residents total.

Moscow doesn't have too much going on besides a little bit of U. of I. building and a ton more apartment complexes going up off-campus for the students there...
How is the enrollment at the U. of I? Is there a limiting factor of why more students aren't currently at U. of I. compared to other colleges/universities? Realistically, what is the max amount of students U. of I. could have in Moscow?

Does Moscow rely mostly on Pullman for goods and services? If not, I'm a little confused why there would be so many more apartment complexes for students being built near the U. of I, which should increase the population. Yet, it doesn't seem to show in other new projects in Moscow.

I haven't been to Moscow for a long time. Did they tear down previous housing and this new housing is just to replace it, or is the university truly reflecting growth at the university?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 8:24 PM

I visited Moscow last spring to see a friend graduate and the town is very nice, kind of reminds me of a New England village with the historic structures and old church steeples everywhere and a beautiful area too. It seemed like Moscow had a lot of retail and business, they even have a grocer similar to the Boise Co op, and the Mall for the Moscow/Pullman area is on the Idaho side.
I thought Moscow was a nicer town than Pullman. I also think, from what I noticed, is that Moscow is one of Idaho's more attractive smaller towns, it has a great historic city center.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Hi, this is my first post but I've been lurking for a couple of years now. I moved to Moscow last month from Arizona and, although there is not as much development here as in Arizona, it's much easier to keep track of. I'll do my best to keep people updated on occurrences in Moscow.

The biggest planned development is the Hawkins Companies project across the state line in Washington. Although it's in Washington, it's adjacent to the western part of Moscow and still about five miles from Pullman. Here's a link to the project brochure.

The project had been held up for a few years over some water rights issues and a general aversion to development on the part of the past city council from what I can tell. After last year's elections, though, the project got the go ahead.

As of right now, the only publicly listed tenant is Lowe's, but the development is several hundred thousand square feet and has parcels for two more anchor tenants.

Also, I believe at the last city council session, they approved a general commercial rezoning for forty plus acres at the intersection of Mountain View Road and Troy Road I guess in hopes that the rezone could lure a potential development. In 2006, Wal-Mart was interested in purchasing the same land but the prior city council blocked the rezoning I think.

Finally, a lot of residential development is occurring on the east side of Moscow. The neighborhood I live in, Southgate, still isn't visible on Google Maps, so it's a bit difficult to explain the scope of the neighborhood, but I would say the construction of a few hundred houses is in the plans.

I'll post updates on here when I can find them. The local newspaper has one of the only news websites that charges a fee in the world, so I get my news from blogs and what not and none of them are strictly dedicated to development, but when I find things out, I'll keep everyone updated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West